• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bahn
    Special Teams
    • Nov 2006

Ex-teammate suspects foul play in death of Broncos' McKinley

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Ex-teammate suspects foul play in death of Broncos' McKinley
    NFL.com
    Published: Sept. 23, 2010 at 08:35 a.m.
    Updated: Sept. 23, 2010 at 08:44 a.m.

A former teammate of Kenny McKinley says not so fast on the cause of death of the Denver Broncos wide receiver, who was found dead Monday.

New York Giants cornerback D.J. Johnson told the New York Post he doesn't believe McKinley committed suicide, but rather he suspects foul play because of what he described as a dangerous climate for pro athletes in Denver.

"Something fishy went down there," Johnson told the newspaper without providing any details. "I don't think it happened the way they're saying it happened. Somebody did something to him."

Police in Arapahoe County, Colo., have said McKinley died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, adding that he had been depressed after having season-ending knee surgery last month.

Johnson also said he can't believe McKinley would commit such an act with his 2-year-old son so close by.

"He lived for his son," Johnson said.
  • Chronic_Toker
    I have a words with way.
    • Nov 2003

I would think (and hope) that forensics did their due diligence before ruling it a suicide. You cannot trick science when it comes to these types of things.

Also, a "dangerous climate for pro athletes in Denver?" I would hope this isn't solely based on D Will's murder, but then again I don't live there so I don't know what it's like. I have never been under the impression that it's a dangerous city though...no more than any other city at least.

I think this is just a case of another loved one that can't understand it, and refuses to believe the truth.
    My other love...
    sigpic
    305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Comment

• UrbanBounca
      Banned User
      • Mar 2010

Here we go, someone needing the spotlight, and it's unfortunate it comes at such a terrible time.

Comment

• BluenOrnge4Life
        Since '85
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chronic_Toker View Post
        I would think (and hope) that forensics did their due diligence before ruling it a suicide. You cannot trick science when it comes to these types of things.

Also, a "dangerous climate for pro athletes in Denver?" I would hope this isn't solely based on D Will's murder, but then again I don't live there so I don't know what it's like. I have never been under the impression that it's a dangerous city though...no more than any other city at least.

I think this is just a case of another loved one that can't understand it, and refuses to believe the truth.
        Ya that's definitely an ignorant comment from him right there. D Wills death is the only time a professional athlete has been murdered in Denver, as far as I can think of. No matter how wrong and unfortunate that death was... it did occur because of a fight with some gang members. The guy makes it sound like there's a ghost going around preying on professional atheltes in the mile high city.
        sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

• LSIGRAD09
          GO BRONCOS!!!
          • Sep 2009

I'm still wondering why Kenny would do that. From what I heard, he just doesn't seem the type of guy.

Yet I can somewhat understand, I have occasional depression, and you look good on the outside when you're all beaten up inside.
          sigpic

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
            team preacher
            • Mar 2008

It's really unfortunate he would say something like that.

Kenny had made the statement to someone he knew that he wanted to kill himself in the weeks prior. Football was his first priority, and it appeared to him to be slipping away (according to reports). These kind of signs are usually evident prior to someone doing something like this.

Secondly, the forensic investigators are going to be checking the gun and the area for other finger prints. They are also going to check the entry wound to determine the angle and how close the weapon was to the head. It wouldn't be difficult for them to tell if there was a struggle. Finally, if there was gun-powder on Kenny's hand it would be a very telling sign.

The fact that they determined this quickly tells me everything listed above was probably soundly in place. They wouldn't just write off a high profile death like that so quickly. Hopefully they wouldn't do it with any death.
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• MilitantDBFan
              Special Teams
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
              Ya that's definitely an ignorant comment from him right there. D Wills death is the only time a professional athlete has been murdered in Denver, as far as I can think of. No matter how wrong and unfortunate that death was... it did occur because of a fight with some gang members. The guy makes it sound like there's a ghost going around preying on professional atheltes in the mile high city.
              What he said wasnt too far from the truth though. Denver (Colorado) is not like living in New York or California, Chicago, DC, or Flordia. Im from Los Angeles and I had the opportunity to stay in Denver for two weeks. As a black man, I stood out like sore thumb. In the stadium, at the night spots, around the city. These players visit the same spots frequently, and people know their status and unfortunately the money they make.

There is some validity to his statement...The timing, and thoughtfulness behind it may be hindered due to heartache but there is definitely something in the air in Denver. I love the city, actually plan on settling down there but I see his point.

Its not a major metropolitan city with various options to party at. At the end of the day jealousy is a very real circumstance. And the Denver Broncos are the toast of the town. Im not suspecting foul play, but the total picture doesnt add up.

And you say Denver ONLY had one athlete murdered, thats one too many. One more than LA, New York, Texas, DC, or Maryland has had and they are the gang capitals of the world. In Denver if players are out they are so much more touchable than other cities. If they were in LA and had 50 players, they could go to 150 different night spots. Not in Denver.
              A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

• BluenOrnge4Life
                Since '85
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                It's really unfortunate he would say something like that.

Kenny had made the statement to someone he knew that he wanted to kill himself in the weeks prior. Football was his first priority, and it appeared to him to be slipping away (according to reports). These kind of signs are usually evident prior to someone doing something like this.

Secondly, the forensic investigators are going to be checking the gun and the area for other finger prints. They are also going to check the entry wound to determine the angle and how close the weapon was to the head. It wouldn't be difficult for them to tell if there was a struggle. Finally, if there was gun-powder on Kenny's hand it would be a very telling sign.

The fact that they determined this quickly tells me everything listed above was probably soundly in place. They wouldn't just write off a high profile death like that so quickly. Hopefully they wouldn't do it with any death.
                Very much agreed. I know his friend is upset about his death, but this isn't something you should come out to the media and say.
                sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

• BluenOrnge4Life
                  Since '85
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan View Post
                  What he said wasnt too far from the truth though. Denver (Colorado) is not like living in New York or California, Chicago, DC, or Flordia. Im from Los Angeles and I had the opportunity to stay in Denver for two weeks. As a black man, I stood out like sore thumb. In the stadium, at the night spots, around the city. These players visit the same spots frequently, and people know their status and unfortunately the money they make.

There is some validity to his statement...The timing, and thoughtfulness behind it may be hindered due to heartache but there is definitely something in the air in Denver. I love the city, actually plan on settling down there but I see his point.

Its not a major metropolitan city with various options to party at. At the end of the day jealousy is a very real circumstance. And the Denver Broncos are the toast of the town. Im not suspecting foul play, but the total picture doesnt add up.

And you say Denver ONLY had one athlete murdered, thats one too many. One more than LA, New York, Texas, DC, or Maryland has had and they are the gang capitals of the world. In Denver if players are out they are so much more touchable than other cities. If they were in LA and had 50 players, they could go to 150 different night spots. Not in Denver.
                  Professional Athletes stick out in EVERY place; that's why several of them carry guns, (Plaxico Burress) that's why many are wrongly accused of raping girls, and that's why several get in fights in clubs, bars, etc. Denver is no different. I can name at least five instances when a Professional athlete was involved in an altercation outside of the city of Denver.

Gang members live everywhere, especially in big cities. D Wills death could have happened anywhere. As far as big cities go, Denver is one of the safest places to live. So I don't buy for one minute that Athletes are being targeted here more than anywhere else.

McKinley committed suicide. He was depressed about the surgery, made prior comments saying he should just kill himself, and the forensic team did their part in the investigation and declared it that way. It's unfortunate his friend who was obviously mourning, had to come out and make an unfounded comment like this to the media.
                  Last edited by BluenOrnge4Life; 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM.
                  sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

• MilitantDBFan
                    Special Teams
                    • Aug 2004

Professional Athletes stick out in EVERY place; that's why several of them carry guns, (Plaxico Burress) that's why many are wrongly accused of raping girls, and that's why several get in fights in clubs, bars, etc. Denver is no different. I can name at least five instances when a Professional athlete was involved in an altercation outside of the city of Denver.

Gang members live everywhere, especially in big cities. D Wills death could have happened anywhere. As far as big cities go, Denver is one of the safest places to live. So I don't buy for one minute that Athletes are being targeted here more than anywhere else.

McKinley committed suicide. He was depressed about the surgery, made prior comments saying he should just kill himself, and the forensic team did their part in the investigation and declared it that way. It's unfortunate his friend who was obviously mourning, had to come out and make an unfounded comment like this to the media.
                    Im not doubting the validity of McKinley's suicide. I agree that Denver is one of the safest places to live. For you and I. Not for an NFL athlete unfortunately. In the city of Denver, athletes are much more visible when they go at night, in particular Bronco players.

Number one they are the toast of the town, number two they are not competing with Socialites, Music Artist, Movie Stars and Reality TV stars when they go out at night. Lets face it, your not going to be visiting Denver and suddenly stumble upon Paris Hilton, P.Diddy, Ashton Kutcher and the Jersey shore reject in the same nightspot. You go to LA, New York, Florida or Atlanta and the odds are increasingly higher that someone of greater importance or impact is in the building as well. Therefore they are not ALWAYS the center of attention.

Everytime a Bronco steps foot into a nightclub they are easily the Alpha dog in the building 99 times out of a 100 in Denver. They are the main attraction and gang members know that.
                    A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

• Den615
                      Playmaker
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Chronic_Toker View Post
                      Also, a "dangerous climate for pro athletes in Denver?" I would hope this isn't solely based on D Will's murder, but then again I don't live there so I don't know what it's like.
                      Ashley Lelie, Lenny Walls, and another Bronco (I believe it might have been Clinton Portis) were all held up at gun point during their time in Denver. They told people about it after Darrent's murder. Thats the only other incident I have heard of.

Still Denver is no different than any other city, I think this is just Johnson trying to make sense of the loss of his friend.

Comment

• Frenchy180
                        Football Immortal
                        • Oct 2008

Just gonna throw this out there, but I don't see the statement that Denver is a dangerous town to live in for athletes as ignorant at all... I think everyone is forgetting about the Joey Porter stabbing... certainly more attacks on athletes here than elsewhere
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                        Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

• Den615
                          Playmaker
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                          Just gonna throw this out there, but I don't see the statement that Denver is a dangerous town to live in for athletes as ignorant at all... I think everyone is forgetting about the Joey Porter stabbing... certainly more attacks on athletes here than elsewhere
                          Forgot about that one as well.

Comment

• MilitantDBFan
                            Special Teams
                            • Aug 2004

Joey Porter was actually shot, while in Denver. The places that black athletes go to in Denver are breading grounds for thugs, gangsters and criminals. Unfortunately, thats just part of hip hop culture that so many of them embrace and chose to be around. It is what it is. Everybody is out for a good time until somebody puffs their chest out and stands out as alpha dog.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                              team preacher
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                              Ashley Lelie, Lenny Walls, and another Bronco (I believe it might have been Clinton Portis) were all held up at gun point during their time in Denver. They told people about it after Darrent's murder. Thats the only other incident I have heard of.

Still Denver is no different than any other city, I think this is just Johnson trying to make sense of the loss of his friend.
                              TD, if that's who you're referring to, was held up at gun-point but not in Denver. He was in Southern California (Hollywood I believe).
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Working...
                              X