• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tonyshucraft
    Practice Squad
    • Sep 2007

Taking Action in Memory

Note: First off, read Woody Paige's article at the Denver Post, as I definitely think it is something worth reading, and around the lines of what I have to put down here.

To say that I have taken this death harder than the DWills or Nash's would be an understatement. Mainly, because I have thought of suicide, and came close to going through with it. In fact, I deal with lots of negative thoughts and feelings that circulate through my mind, that aren't really all that fun to think about.

I deal with two conditions, that can accompany each other, well, besides being visually impaired. I suffer from Bi Polar Disorder and PTSD. I can't explain a lot of it in a personal way, because it's really hard to explain. Let's just say I have lot's of dreams and nightmares and get very little sleep. I stress about things from the past and sometimes get the illusion that they are real and happening. I have had my fair share of anxiety attacks. Even signing up for a class at the local community college is tough because my educational experience was a nightmare. It goes on and on.

I can't say that I want people to feel sorry for me. I've had people feel sorry for me at times and it only made me feel worse. Never feel sorry for somebody when they are down because sympathy gets you nowhere near as far as empathy. I'd say Kenny McKinley's son probably doesn't need people to feel sorry for him. It's probably best to consider what the kid will go through in his life. Especially since mental illness could very well be something he deals with in his lifetime, as this has something to do with genetics.

I think the best thing we can do, in the name of Kenny and his son is to take mental illness seriously and inform ourselves and others. A broken hand may be easier to see than a broken heart, but that's often why the injury is way worse. The broken hand is just there for you to see. The broken heart is there to see but people see it more as a weakness, even sometimes those whom have it. The may be told to or tell themselves toughen up and to hold it all in. I'd say it takes one tough individual to speak out in this world, where depression, anxiety disorders, ect. are all just stigmatized and just seen as a weakness. Of course, maybe it's not about toughness, maybe it's about doing what's healthy.

So, in memory of a lost Bronco, how about we put together a list with information, and contacts, and organizations to donate to and help those that don't make the news(they'll be added to the end of this post.). If you have a mental illness of any sort, have attempted suicide, or know anybody whom has, share with us, if you wish. Point out ideas for people to get everything all out there, such as the arts. Ideas for anything you might think would help.

I will add what organizations and links of use I find below, later, along with any suggestions from others.

Kenny McKinley's Trust Fund
    c/o NFL Players Association
    1133 20th Street NW
    Washington, DC 20036

Mental Health America - "Mental Health America (formerly known as the National Mental Health Association) is the country’s leading nonprofit dedicated to helping ALL people live mentally healthier lives. With our more than 320 affiliates nationwide, we represent a growing movement of Americans who promote mental wellness for the health and well-being of the nation – everyday and in times of crisis."

National Alliance on Mental Illness - "rom its inception in 1979, NAMI has been dedicated to improving the lives of individuals and families affected by mental illness."

Canadian Mental Health Association - For the great Bronco fans from up north. "The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), founded in 1918, is one of the oldest voluntary organizations in Canada. Each year, it provides direct service to more than 100,000 Canadians through the combined efforts of more than 10,000 volunteers and staff across Canada in over 135 communities."

Mental Health Foundation (UK) For those wonderful Bronco from the UK. (Tell me if there is a better one) "Founded in 1949, the Mental Health Foundation is a leading UK charity that provides information, carries out research, campaigns and works to improve services for anyone affected by mental health problems, whatever their age and wherever they live."

PP+A - A site that I(the OP) make use of. It's a place to express yourself in an artistic or philosophical manner, and is aimed at those whom deal with mental illness. Expressing oneself is a good way to deal with the hard things in life.

Advice

"If you are depressed or know some one that is go to your local ER and there is a team standing by to help you. We don't do straight jackets or shock therapy anymore or put patients in a rubber room. They are probably the most caring individuals that I have met" - MCCAFFREYFAN
    Last edited by Tonyshucraft; 09-25-2010, 05:28 PM. Reason: Additions
    RIP Kenny McKinley and others to suffer a similar fate

You see your world going away
    You do a lot yet you're down
    All blind to the good you create
    Stairs of feeling worthy you fall down

You don't have to always smile
    I understand, you are only human
    You gotta open up once in awhile
    Opening up doesn't make less a man

I just want you to know, my friend
    No matter what, I'd like to thank you
    who you are, who you've always been
    Need an ear, stranger, I'd be glad to

• MCCAFFREYFAN
    Practice Squad
    • Sep 2009

This is a great idea....

I have a son at the age of 10yrs old attempted suicide. He couldn't tell me what was wrong all he knew is the voices in his head were telling him to do it. He took a kitchen knife to his throat. He was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and is now in college and living on his own. He stays on his medication and he is just like any other 19yr old.

I also work in an Inpatient Psych unit. I deal with all degrees of depression and mental illness on a daily basis. It doesn't discriminate between age, race, geographical area, or financial status.

I worry more about the people that are "happy all the time and smiling all the time" chances are they don't know how to deal with being sad or disappointment. They can't handle it and they think it's the end of the world when it happens. This sounds like Kenny.

If you are depressed or know some one that is go to your local ER and there is a team standing by to help you. We don't do straight jackets or shock therapy anymore or put patients in a rubber room. They are probably the most caring individuals that I have met.

Comment

• Gatorgirl
      Starter
      • Jul 2010

agreed such a great idea! things have changed so much since i was a practicing therapist. we didnt have as much internet access then. heres another link to NAMI, the national association of mental illness, that i used to reference...

Comment

• broncopuppy
        Practice Squad
        • Oct 2003

Thanks MCCAFFREYFAN: As someone who has suffered with depression and suicidal thoughts for a lifetime. Your words need to be heard, suicide can seem like the only way out of your own head.

This is a great idea....

I have a son at the age of 10yrs old attempted suicide. He couldn't tell me what was wrong all he knew is the voices in his head were telling him to do it. He took a kitchen knife to his throat. He was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and is now in college and living on his own. He stays on his medication and he is just like any other 19yr old.

I also work in an Inpatient Psych unit. I deal with all degrees of depression and mental illness on a daily basis. It doesn't discriminate between age, race, geographical area, or financial status. .
        I appreciate your admitting that you have first hand experience with your child and for the reply in the other thread. I bolded the section that people really need to understand, its an illness that can affect ANYBODY. The key is to seek help before it is too late.

I worry more about the people that are "happy all the time and smiling all the time" chances are they don't know how to deal with being sad or disappointment. They can't handle it and they think it's the end of the world when it happens. This sounds like Kenny. .
        Its funny that you would mention the bolded part in that section because everybody always described me that way. For someone dealing with mental illness, humor and smiling and just trying like hell to be happy is a coping mechanism. Unfortunately, you never know when they will crash, I pray that all who do, have loving family and friends to help them to seek medical help immediately.

If you are depressed or know some one that is go to your local ER and there is a team standing by to help you. We don't do straight jackets or shock therapy anymore or put patients in a rubber room. They are probably the most caring individuals that I have met.
        You are so right about that, seeking medical help is the way to go. They treat you with respect and allow you to retain your dignity, thank God for all those caring people who work with the mentally ill.
        Last edited by broncopuppy; 09-23-2010, 09:43 PM.
        Remember the Drive January 11, 1987
        sigpic
        Bone thrown at me during the Drive
        at Bar in Columbus Ohio

Comment

• broncopuppy
          Practice Squad
          • Oct 2003

Thank you again Gatorgirl: I fixed your definition of NAMI

Originally posted by Gatorgirl View Post
          agreed such a great idea! things have changed so much since i was a practicing therapist. we didnt have as much internet access then. heres another link to NAMI, National Alliance on Mental Illness, that i used to reference...

http://namisttammany.org/support.html
          For anyone, anywhere in the country http://www.nami.org/, this will take you to the main site of NAMI.

I pray for all that suffer or know anyone who suffers with mental illness. The mental health profession shows respect and dignity to those afflicted by it, I know from personal experience.
          Remember the Drive January 11, 1987
          sigpic
          Bone thrown at me during the Drive
          at Bar in Columbus Ohio

Comment

• taz1458
            Former DTBCPEC Commish
            • Sep 2009

I personally thought Woody's article was one of the best I have ever read. Even on ATH last night, they let him go over his face time and never even set off the horn as he was talking about it. Very Very good read and a must read for everyone IMO.
            2021 Adopt-A-Bronco -- KJ Hamler -- WE ARE!
            Let's Go Broncos, Penguins, Penn State, Guido & Tony Stewart!
            US Navy 8/15/06-CURRENT ~~ EN1(SCW) ~~ ACB-2

Comment

• Tonyshucraft
              Practice Squad
              • Sep 2007

That's awesome to hear that your kid is doing well after all that.

Originally posted by MCCAFFREYFAN View Post
              This is a great idea....

I also work in an Inpatient Psych unit. I deal with all degrees of depression and mental illness on a daily basis. It doesn't discriminate between age, race, geographical area, or financial status.

I worry more about the people that are "happy all the time and smiling all the time" chances are they don't know how to deal with being sad or disappointment. They can't handle it and they think it's the end of the world when it happens. This sounds like Kenny.

RIP Kenny McKinley and others to suffer a similar fate

You see your world going away
              You do a lot yet you're down
              All blind to the good you create
              Stairs of feeling worthy you fall down

You don't have to always smile
              I understand, you are only human
              You gotta open up once in awhile
              Opening up doesn't make less a man

I just want you to know, my friend
              No matter what, I'd like to thank you
              who you are, who you've always been
              Need an ear, stranger, I'd be glad to

Comment

• broncoFan!
                Playmaker
                • Sep 2009

This sounds kind of corny but I was thinking of this new Linkin Park song from 1,000 suns album called Robot boy where they said that "You say you're not going to fight because there's no one to fight for you. And you think there's not enough love and no one to give it to. And you've heard for so long that you've got nothing to lose."

That's how a lot of people feel. Kenny McKinley didn't feel like fighting anymore and he just gave up. Perhaps he didn't feel like anyone was loving him anymore or he didn't have enough to live for. I don't know what went through his mind when he was pulling the trigger on the gun. We can only speculate who knows huh?

This is a tragic death. His life was cut short and those in Colorado Springs will always miss you. I think we need our friends to help us get through these tough times. God bless us all and God bless you Kenny and your family, your wife and your one year old son. Here's a mile high
                Last edited by broncoFan!; 09-25-2010, 06:25 PM. Reason: Fixing a spelling error!
                sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

Working...
                X