Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AC1 View Post
    Seriously?

A guy who started "rooting" for the Broncos after Orton was traded here is trying to summarize Shanahan's 20+ years with the Broncos?

Seriously?!!
    I personally do not think neckbeard roots for the Broncos at all. He is not, a Broncos fan.

He is an Orton fan only. Period
    Last edited by MH Stampede; 09-29-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    Exactly. If there's any former broncos coach that McD compares to, it's Shanahan himself.
    Strongly disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    It kinda makes me chuckle when people compare McDaniels to Phillips. There's a reason Phillips was hired instead of Shanahan. Shanahan wanted to fire Phillips as the DC. Bowlen wasn't ready to part ways with Phillips and obviously thought Phillips was qualified for the job so he went with him. Two years later the team was still mediocre, so, he decided to go with the guy he wanted in the first place. Who's the guy that Bowlen wanted instead of McDaniels but didn't hire, for whatever reason?

There is no reason to believe that McDaniels is in a must win season this year.
    Eh?

I would want to see some reliable source to believe this.

When Bowlen interviewed Shanahan for the HC job in 93, Shanahan wanted the kind of control that Reeves had, and , from what I remember reading at the time, Bowlen had a kind of Reeves hangover and didn't want another king coach. I don't remember any discussion about the future of Wade Phillips in a Shanahan-run organization, although I admit, it's been a while, so I can't be absolutely certain of that.

Clearly, McDaniels has that 'king coach' authority both Reeves and Shanahan enjoyed (leading to their ultimate undoing), but both started out on the right foot; Reeves went 10 & 6 his first year, then stumbled in the terrible strike year of '82 before lucking into Elway. Shanahan improved Denver from a fast-fading 7-9 to 8 & 8, and then the glory years (minus the Jacksonville debacle).

McDaniels started out hot, faded badly in the first season, and doesn't appear to be headed for anything special this year. I would imagine Bowlen will hold Josh to the same expectations he had for Phillips and Shanahan, so if some kind of steady roster improvement is the rather tepid standard, then all all will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca View Post
    Once again, I don't care about their age or maturity, I want wins.
    This basically sums up some ppl. I don't like to judge but you just want wins ? Don't we all.

Good things take time to build and McD is clearly building something really good but it will take time. I believe next year you will start to see us really picking up alot of wins.

If McD makes this a top franchise for the next 15 -20 years then do we really care about it taking a year or 2 to build. McD will be here a long time but if we let him go it would be the worst mistake ever, some other franchise would pick him up at be laughing at us in 5 years time.

If we had a running game we would be real dangerous but with 3 first year starters there will be struggles. Mike Klis of the DP said before the season that we will struggle to run at first but should pick up in the 2nd half of the season.

Once this OL bulks up, gets experience and gels and we add maybe a ILB and some DL talent then we really are good to go.

:orton:

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    Exactly. If there's any former broncos coach that McD compares to, it's Shanahan himself.
    I would actually think he is more like Reeves.

About the only difference between Reeves and McD is their main love as Head Coaches.

Reeves was in love with the run. McD is in love with the pass.

Trust me after that I can compare these two so much it will make your head spin.

Both love versatile players. Not sure why McD does but Reeves did because that is the kind of player he was.

Both say it is my way or the highway.

Both are stubborn even in the face of failure. Trust me Reeves is JUST the kind of coach who would call 8 or 9 Jumbo Package plays on offense in 10 tries even though it is not working.

Both will not use the tools they have as best they can.

If McD was coming up during the age of the 70s and 80s we would probably think he is a Dan Reeves clone.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

All Josh has

Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post
    In order for this to be true, then we must in turn start winning SB's in 2011. If we don't, then your statement is utterly false.
    to do is post a winning season this year, and next year hit the playoffs. And he will get a contract extension, I believe. Bowlen is no dummy he gave Shanny the time to build his team he will give it to Josh also.
    People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

True fans are not satisfied losing games

Quote Originally Posted by DavisMVP View Post
    I just don't like how this team has played the last couple of years. And I think were starting to become the Cleveland Browns and the Lions. Some of the fans are just happy that the game is close, that's not good enough. When you become satisfied with losing, it's a problem. 3-10! 3-10 !!!!!!!!!! is not a good thing. People say that it's a new year, but same results.

Hey DavisMVP TRUE FANS root their team on regarless!

Quote Originally Posted by MoXplant View Post
    True fans don't try to turn every positive about this team into a negative.

True fans love their team and enjoy the positives, while hoping the negatives are resolved by the people paid to address them.

True fans don't don't look for reasons and misconstrue information to validate their doom and gloom statements.

True fans don't hope for the plyer/team/organization to fail so they can be right in a forum.

True fans don't hate their team (through word and deed) when they are down, and love them when they are up.

True fans aren't jumping on and off the bandwagon with W/L's.

True fans tend to be optimisitic, and can recognize and appreciate improvement - while the other's seize on every opportunity to spin improvement's into a "oh yea, well how come we haven't won every game" moment....

True fans have hope and faith for tomorrow...
    Excellent points.

And if we were looking for negativity, the NFL has 31 out of a total of 32 teams that fail to win the SUPERBOWL EVERY BLOODY YEAR!

Thats like a 96.875 % FAILURE RATE! SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!! FIRE EVERYBODY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neckbeard View Post
    Hmm...

Over his last 19 games, Josh McDaniels is 9-10.

Over HIS last 19 games, Mike Shanahan is 9-10.

Weird, huh?
    His record as a ASSistant does not count for his wins and losses record. If so, every assistant out there would be a HC by now. Should we also count the waterboy's win/loss record for staying with the same team? If so, that guy sitting on the Pats bench handing out water should be a HC.

Quote Originally Posted by jwood View Post
    His record as a ASSistant does not count for his wins and losses record. If so, every assistant out there would be a HC by now. Should we also count the waterboy's win/loss record for staying with the same team? If so, that guy sitting on the Pats bench handing out water should be a HC.
    Uhh...what?

That's his record as a head coach....

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by jwood View Post
    McD is 9-10 as a HC, not an assistant. Not sure what you're talking about.

I stand corrected. But even with that 9-10 record it is still nothing but smoke and mirrors. 6 consecutive wins vs 4 loss, 2 wins, 5 loss, 1 win, 1 loss is more representative of the truth about his abilities as a HC. It would take a miracle for this guy to win 3 in a row with the next 4 games coming up.

....and the band played on.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    This basically sums up some ppl. I don't like to judge but you just want wins ? Don't we all.

Good things take time to build and McD is clearly building something really good but it will take time. I believe next year you will start to see us really picking up alot of wins.

If McD makes this a top franchise for the next 15 -20 years then do we really care about it taking a year or 2 to build. McD will be here a long time but if we let him go it would be the worst mistake ever, some other franchise would pick him up at be laughing at us in 5 years time.

If we had a running game we would be real dangerous but with 3 first year starters there will be struggles. Mike Klis of the DP said before the season that we will struggle to run at first but should pick up in the 2nd half of the season.

Once this OL bulks up, gets experience and gels and we add maybe a ILB and some DL talent then we really are good to go.

:orton:
    Winning games is the only thing that should really matter. The problems though are deeper than the wins and losses. McD fans don't see it but a lot of long time fans do. For one, the team has lost that charm of being a fan friendly team. While they still have open camp for people to see, the new regime has changed the culture to the point where fans can't really relate with it any more. Everything that the fans enjoyed in terms of how the team is really doing is no longer open information. Now it has a feel of everything Broncos related is company confidential. How does one follow their favorite team when the team does not want the attention unless it is game day?

Well thats always the fine balancing walk isn't it?
    I'm surmising that they are trying to fly under the radar so they don't catch attention from the opponents, but the fans? I've been a long time fan. I think it is different, but then metropolitan Denver isn't a city of ~500,000 anymore.
    Last edited by Holger_Danske; 09-29-2010 at 10:14 PM.