Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bucking bronco View Post
    McD knows he made a mistake. Everyone knows he made a mistake, whether they want to admit it publicly or not. McD didn't give him a chance at RB. He had maybe 13 carries on the year with a 4 yard average. McD tried him at kickoff returner?! That was brilliant. Maybe we should try Champ at LB next and when he fails trade him for a happy meal.
    Putting Hillis at KR was one of the most mind boggling things I've ever seen a coach do-----

Still patiently waiting at least a few more people from my list of Hillis haters to admit they were wrong about the kid... copter alread has done it.. can anyone else step up and admit the same..
    Being a Bronco fan is more important than being a fan of any coach or player in particular.

Eh it came down to Hillis being a FB who couldnt block which in McD's eyes was a failure. They attempted a handful of times using Hillis as a powerback but it didnt stick. The truth was they believed moreno was our future and Hillis wasnt a good enough roleplayer for us to keep.

Honestly Buckhalter was amazing last year as a backup and Moreno showed he had endurance to be a primary so what else were they going to use Hillis for, he couldnt be a 3rd down back because he sucked at blocking in a power scheme. Yeah we probably could have gone without drafting Moreno but we did, so what were we supposed to not give him a shot and make Hillis our primary back like they did in cleveland.

Upon further review, Week 4: Browns RB Peyton Hillis brought the hammer

[CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns fans need to pinch themselves.

Their team needed to give up whom, exactly, to acquire 24-year-old running back Peyton Hillis from the Denver Broncos in the offseason?

Oh, that's right: Brady Quinn.

I don't want to overreact to four games, 416 total yards and four touchdowns -- especially where the Browns are concerned -- but this trade at least has the potential to be as lopsided as Mike Tyson vs. Marvis Frazier.]

http://www.cleveland.com/dman/index....eek_4_bro.html

Quote Originally Posted by pblack18707 View Post
    Upon further review, Week 4: Browns RB Peyton Hillis brought the hammer

[CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns fans need to pinch themselves.

Their team needed to give up whom, exactly, to acquire 24-year-old running back Peyton Hillis from the Denver Broncos in the offseason?

Oh, that's right: Brady Quinn.

I don't want to overreact to four games, 416 total yards and four touchdowns -- especially where the Browns are concerned -- but this trade at least has the potential to be as lopsided as Mike Tyson vs. Marvis Frazier.]

http://www.cleveland.com/dman/index....eek_4_bro.html
    Hillis is the first Brown RB to have a TD in 4 straight games since Greg Pruitt did it in 1975 or 76(?).

I think Pruitt still holds the NCAA record for yard per carry with something like a 9.1 yard per carry average. It's like a first down every time he carried the ball.

We've heard the arguments for giving Moreno more carries and we've heard the same for Buck, but I'm still waiting to hear someone explain why mcd gave Lamont Jordan twice as many carries as Hillis?

Lamont Jordan? That's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Hillis is the first Brown RB to have a TD in 4 straight games since Greg Pruitt did it in 1975 or 76(?).

I think Pruitt still holds the NCAA record for yard per carry with something like a 9.1 yard per carry average. It's like a first down every time he carried the ball.

We've heard the arguments for giving Moreno more carries and we've heard the same for Buck, but I'm still waiting to hear someone explain why mcd gave Lamont Jordan twice as many carries as Hillis?

Lamont Jordan? That's not even close.
    No one can explain it, just like none of those that bashed hillis, aside from lolcopter, can come to this thread and state they where wrong about him. Instead they just ignore it as much as they can.

Giving lamont jordan carries over Hillis made 0 sense and Hillis hardly had any chances at RB during the season. Before the cheifs game Hillis had a total of 4 carries and 1 of them went for a TD. The way Hillis was handled made absolutely no sense.. so people claim the kid couldnt pickup the offense, well many browns players have said how smart he is. But lets say he did have trouble, at least hand him the ball in the red zone and let him hit the hole.. its not all that difficult to realize that might work, it did in week 1 vs the bengals.
    Being a Bronco fan is more important than being a fan of any coach or player in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFan1088 View Post
    No one can explain it, just like none of those that bashed hillis, aside from lolcopter, can come to this thread and state they where wrong about him. Instead they just ignore it as much as they can.

Giving lamont jordan carries over Hillis made 0 sense and Hillis hardly had any chances at RB during the season. Before the cheifs game Hillis had a total of 4 carries and 1 of them went for a TD. The way Hillis was handled made absolutely no sense.. so people claim the kid couldnt pickup the offense, well many browns players have said how smart he is. But lets say he did have trouble, at least hand him the ball in the red zone and let him hit the hole.. its not all that difficult to realize that might work, it did in week 1 vs the bengals.
    EGO... McD had the over-sized ego that he didn't believe any of the Shanahan RB's could run the ball even though they did it year in and out then he picked Moreno way too early thinking his offense would be even better with an over-achieving RB in No-Go.

Im sure every young coach who has know-it-all-itis goes through this. I've learned to be more tolerant as a fan since I don't have a say. I just hope he grows out of it.
    [CENTER][B][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Need Better Personnel Moves if we are to be Champions, Put EGO Aside[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/CENTER]

Knowshon Moreno - Not as explosive as we expected.
    LeKevin Smith - Wasted a pick to the Pats on him
    Jarvis Green - Wasted picking up a former Patriot
    Alphonso Smith - 1st round pick for a 7th round player
    Richard Quinn - Trade up to the 2nd for a bench player
    Tim Tebow - Show Orton no confidence then watch him have a great start to the season
    Payton Hillis - Traded because of who knows.

[CENTER][B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"]4 High Picks!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

Hillis backwards is Sillih. Also pronounced as Silly. Think about that.
    I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
    I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
    I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
    God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
    Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmlb View Post
    sure makes defence look silly. knocks them silly too

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmlb View Post
    Lol, that is fitting since he is making McDaniels look silly, along with a few fellow posters.

Quote Originally Posted by MHS View Post
    im guessing there was a lot that went on behind the scenes that no one outside the team knows of.
    He was another one of Shanahans guys. Thats where Hillis went wrong.

hate to beat this into the ground but??

Cleveland Browns offense focuses on running back Peyton Hillis, no matter who plays QB

If Jake Delhomme returns to his starting quarterback job Sunday against Atlanta, he will take over an offense unlike the one he left behind in Game 1.

"We are who we are," the cagey Cajun said Thursday. "We're a football team that's physical and runs the football well. When you are who you are, you need to be that."

Share 11 Comments That statement was a clear nod to running back Peyton Hillis as the new face of the Browns -- a role that Delhomme had expected to fill.

It took the Browns a while to figure out who they are. They opened the season against Tampa Bay with a 38 to 23 pass-run ratio despite never trailing until less than seven minutes left in the game. Even when Seneca Wallace replaced the injured Delhomme in Game 2 against Kansas City, the Browns still passed more (31 times) than they ran (26). And they led again until the middle of the fourth quarter.

Those were against defenses ranked 32nd and 31st against the run the year before.

The tide turned in Baltimore and continued last week against Cincinnati. In those two closely fought games, the Browns ran 54 percent of the time. Hillis accounted for approximately 50 percent of the plays with 49 carries and nine receptions.

Against the Bengals, Hillis was on the field for 63 of the team's 66 offensive snaps. He knocked two players who tried to tackle him out of the game -- safety Roy Williams and cornerback Johnathan Joseph -- and brought the rest of the defense to submission with a 24-yard run on his 27th and last carry.

"Peyton's physical. I mean, you don't see Roy Williams . . . Roy Williams can bring it and Peyton brought it a good bit last week," Delhomme said, shaking his head.

Lead blocker Lawrence Vickers loves Hillis' punishing running style. "If you don't want to run into that truck, move out the way. Mama says if you play in the streets, you will get hit by a car, or a truck," Vickers said.

"He's just a beast," said linebacker Scott Fujita. "He's the equivalent of Matt Roth on the offense."

"Peyton's a load," said coach Eric Mangini. "I mean, I avoid him in the hallway."

Joshua Gunter / The Plain DealerWhether it's Seneca Wallace, above, or Jake Delhomme, below, playing quarterback, the focus of the Browns' offense is going to be Peyton Hillis.
    In Cincinnati, Williams is out three to four weeks with a knee sprain after Hillis ran him over. Joseph is day-to-day with a deep forearm bruise -- the result of a tackle attempt Hillis busted through like a bull at a rodeo.

On Thursday, Hillis sounded apologetic talking about the destruction left in his wake.

"I try to make it hard for people to tackle me," he said. "Sometimes people get hurt, but it's not intentional. I don't like hurting people. It hurts their job status, their families, everybody else. But it's the game we play. I just try to play my game."

In four games with the Browns, Hillis has produced almost as much offense as he had in 26 games over two seasons in Denver. He has had back-to-back 100-yard rushing games and a touchdown in all four games. He has been the Browns' leading receiver in two games.

"I want it to be a routine thing," Hillis said. "I want to be known as being consistent and going the whole year through, being the man,

John Kuntz / The Plain Dealer getting to tote the rock and doing good things for his team."

The question is whether the Browns can win consistently selling out to Hillis and the running game.

"Most definitely," Hillis said. "I believe all things are possible, especially when the guys on the team have faith in each other. This team has a bunch of great guys that can do amazing things. We've shown we can move the ball on any team. We just have to be consistent."

Delhomme agreed.

"Oh, I think so. I go back to when we made the Super Bowl in '03 in Carolina. Ask anyone. We were a run first, run second, run third football team, up until Week 8 or 9 when we didn't have [big back] Stephen Davis for a couple weeks due to an injury. So we had to throw it a little bit and guys made plays and guys kind of evolved and developed from there."

Delhomme's expected return to the lineup offers the hope that the team might eventually rediscover wideouts Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie in the passing game.

A more complete offense was the plan originally. Starting with off-season workouts, the Browns threw and threw and threw. By training camp, Massaquoi and Robiskie were so impressive and noticeably improved, the idea of pursuing an established receiver was summarily dismissed.

Meantime, the running game was thought to be the province of rookie Montario Hardesty, until his knee injury, and then of Jerome Harrison -- last season's revelation. Hillis missed some time in minicamp and early training camp with various ailments.

"We were working on many things in camp, be it the pass game, where guys fit, different things," Delhomme said. "Certainly, I think you learn as you go. Let's be honest. We split carries a ton in training camp between [Harrison] and Peyton. Then came the [thigh] injury to Jerome, and Peyton's had a lot more carries now.

"That's how things work out. Once you find it, you ride that horse."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...0/post_47.html

just wow this guy is the best thing that happend to the browns in a long time

Yea I just wonder if he will finish the season without crutches. I doubt he will. Seriously. Pittsburgh twice, Baltimore and Cincinnati one more time... Ouch. Look at what happened to Jamal Lewis. At least you guys have good depth with Jerome Harrison and James Davis.

EDIT: I believe the Browns plan is to use Hillis as much as they can until he gets crushed, and then they will again unleash a fresh Jerome Harrison late in the season.
    Last edited by -Rod-; 10-07-2010 at 06:26 PM.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I find it almost amusing that the Hillis haters on this board still stick to thier guns. What a loss this guy was. And to dump a character guy like him and bring in White? yea the whole McD only wants team first type guys really is a joke. But whats done is done hopefully he learns from his mistakes (crosses fingers)

McD is not too bright

Did he even look at game film from 2008 before he made decisions on his team?

If he did look at film, it would have seen how effective Hillis was and what positive effect he had on the team's success.

If he, in fact, knew his players' capabilities, and still chose to totally ignore Hillis, then he is either very stupid or prejudiced against certain players. Thats all I can figure.