Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2010 MLB Hotstove League.

Now that the season is basicly over, it is time to start looking to the new class of free agents. One of the big names is Carl Crawford and according to CSN New England the Angels and Red Sox are the leading teams to get him.

Sorry for the double post, I wanted to make a clear line betwen the facts and my opnions.

Players I want in Boston.
    Crawford
    Pujols (via trade since rumors say STL cannot afford to keep him and Holiday)
    Pena or Dunn if the Pujols deal does not happen.
    Rollins to sure us up at SS
    Resign Beltre
    Resign V-Mart if we cannot go after AJ Pierznski
    Cliff Lee
    Last edited by Southstander; 09-30-2010 at 05:38 PM.

During both the 2008 and 2009 off-seasons, the Major League Baseball Players Association raised with the Commissioner’s Office certain concerns regarding the operation of the free-agency market. Although the Commissioner’s Office found no evidence that any Club violated the collective bargaining agreement, or otherwise acted improperly, the parties agreed to discuss the concerns of both Players and Clubs to determine whether the process could be improved for both sides.

As a result of those discussions, the parties agreed to make certain procedural changes to the free-agency process for the 2010 and 2011 off-seasons that address the concerns of both parties. The changes include allowing free agents to negotiate with all Clubs at an earlier date, earlier dates for contract tenders and free agent arbitration offers, new protocols regarding public comments regarding free agent negotiations, improved procedures for the transmittal of free agents’ medical records, and a prohibition on including “most favored nations” provisions in Player contracts. Specifically, for the 2010 off-season, the new dates that have been agreed to by the parties are as follows:

- Free agents may negotiate with any Club on midnight of the fifth day after the World Series rather than after 15 days as provided for under our current agreement.

- Clubs must offer salary arbitration to free agents by midnight on November 23 in order to preserve their right to draft pick compensation. Free agent Players must accept by November 30.

- Clubs must tender contracts to Players under reserve by December 2.

The parties intend to evaluate whether these changes improve the process for both Players and Clubs, and discuss them in connection with their upcoming collective bargaining negotiations.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Thanks for the info David.

I look for the Yankees to re-sign their own major free agents and make a run at Cliff Lee.

I'm not against going after Lee, but the Yankees minor league system is one of the top 5 in baseball and is pitching heavy, so I don't view Lee as a "must".

The Yankees have 8 starting pitchers to keep an eye on who will open 2011 in AA or AAA. Injuries, trades, moves to the bullpen, and flame outs as increased levels of competition are reached are a given, but the strength in numbers and high ceilings of these young pitchers has me convinced at least 2 of the following are destined to be key starting pitchers for the Yankees.

On the horizon:

RH Ivan Nova (turns 24 in January) --showed promise with in the Yankees rotation this past month. Sign me up for having him as our number 5 starter to open 2011.

Top prospects:

AA LH Manny Banuelos (turns 20 in March)
    --Showing mid 90's velocity and his poise is off the charts. I believe he will be in AAA by midseason.

AA RH Dellin Betances (turns 23 in March)
    --6'8" flamethrower. Just needs to prove he can stay healthy.

AA RH Andrew Brackman (turns 25 in December)
    --6'10" power pitcher forms the other half of the "twin towers" with Betances. Could end up in a key role in the pen. Signed a major league contract and has to be on the Yankees 25 man roster by 2012 or exposed to waivers, meaning his path to NY will be accelerated in comparison to the other minor leaguers. A move to the pen (just a guess on my part) could be temporary, just getting him acclimated to the majors.

AA RH Adam Warren (turned 23 last month) 2009 4th rd. pick
    --another power arm. I think he's ready for AAA. Several teams want him in a trade.

High A RH Graham Stoneburner (turned 23 yesterday) 2009 14th rd. pick
    --like the others in the top 5, a power arm. I'm interested to see who turns out better: Warren or Stoneburner.

Also worth keeping an eye on:

AAA RH David Phelps (turns 24 in 9 days)
    --back of the rotation type who has made steady progress at each level

AAA RH Hector Noesi (turns 24 in January)
    --another back of the rotation type. There may be too much competition for him to break through with the Yankees.

Anyways, my offseason list follows:

1. Re-sign Jeter, Mo, and Pettitte
    2. Re-sign Kerry Wood or pick up his 2011 option
    3. Trade for or sign a reserve OF (nothing fancy, just a decent glove and bat)

Cliff Lee: I won't gripe if we sign him (no one can pretend they wouldn't like to have him on their team), but, as long as Pettitte returns (I'm guessing 60/40 odds he will pitch one more year), I won't campaign to sign Lee.

Yu Darvish: Throwing huge $$ at a Japanese pitcher worries me. The Yankees have scouted him heavily, so we'll see what happens. I don't see the Yankees offering the $50+ mil. posting fee it will take to land Darvish, but I suppose that depends on what their scouts say.

FA hitters Crawford, Werth, etc.: pass. Gardner/Granderson/Swisher in the OF works just fine for me offensively and defensively. I rooted harder for Gardner than any other recent Yankees prospect because so many "experts" were so quick to write him off. He reminds me of a young Brett Butler, a player I loved in the 80's/90's.

4. I'd re-sign Marcus Thames to keep the DH spot warm for top prospect Jesus Montero and Jorge Posada. Montero will be in the majors by May and should split catching/DH duties with Posada.

5. Always keep an eye on the trade/FA market for a quality reliever. Health issues of Alfredo Aceves and Damaso Marte make this an area never to ignore. I wouldn't gripe about re-signing Sergio Mitre for 1 year in the $1 mil. range for competition in spring training.

That's it beyond minor moves. Our IF and OF are set. Nice competition for utility IF. Catcher is set for a long time (Montero and Austin Romine are the future).

Lance Berkman will return to the Astros or retire.

Get lost:
    P Javy Vazquez
    P Dustin Moseley
    P Chad Gaudin
    P Jon Albaladejo

DH/1B Juan Miranda
    DH Nick Johnson

OF Austin Kearns
    Last edited by keithbishop; 09-30-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

After KB showed me some stats I admit I was wrong about Pena and AJ.

Colorado Rockies:

Needs: 1B, SP, RP, maybe 2B.

Probably lose: Jason Giambi

Get lost:
    Aaron Cook
    Jeff Francis

Stick around:
    Jorge De La Rosa
    Joe Beimel
    Melvin Mora

Player(s) I'd like the Rockies to sign:
    Ty Wigginton
    Jorge Cantu
    Paul Konerko (i doubt it will happen lol)
    Ted Lilly
    Cliff Lee (doubt it will happen tho lol)
    Brandon Webb (if he can stay healthy)
    Brian Fuentes (street can be a risk. we're going to need someone that can be effective in the bullpen and be able to close too in case street either gets cold or hurt)
    J.J Putz (same deal as fuentes)
    Orlando Hudson (doubt it lol)

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Needs: LF, backup 1B, RP, OF depth.

For the Braves.

Probably losing Wagner and Saito, but we have Kimbrel and Venters to replace both.

I'd like to add a veteran arm before handing the closer role to Kimbrel, but if we give it to Kimbrel, that's fine by me. He's been lights out since he's been up.

Freeman will replace Lee and Glaus, but i'd like a RH 1B backup to go with Freeman.

We better make a trade for an everyday LF'er, we have one of the best farm systems in baseball, make use of it and get another bat in the lineup.

Some players i'd like the Braves to target.

Xavier Nady
    Mike Sweeney
    Austin Kearns
    Pat Burrell
    Jason Kubel
    Frank Francisco
    Mariano Rivera ( I wish)
    Joaquin Benoit
    Jon Rauch

Quote Originally Posted by Southstander View Post
    Sorry for the double post, I wanted to make a clear line betwen the facts and my opnions.

Players I want in Boston.
    Crawford
    Pujols (via trade since rumors say STL cannot afford to keep him and Holiday)
    Pena or Dunn if the Pujols deal does not happen.
    Rollins to sure us up at SS
    Resign Beltre
    Resign V-Mart if we cannot go after AJ Pierznski
    Cliff Lee
    My goodness, Boston would have an all-star team. Philly picked up Rollins option and he said he wants to play on the West Coast to end his career. Does Boston have any room for Lee. Lester, Beckett, Lackey, Bucholtz, DiceK.

Are the Pujols rumors true, i haven't heard that.

I would move Dice K or if needs be have a six man rotaiton. As far as A-Pu goes at the trade deadline ESPN insider had a "what if" trade article where they talk about it.

----------------
    I know it wont happen but I would love to see Tulo, CarGo, or Longoria come to the Hub City.

Quote Originally Posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    My goodness, Boston would have an all-star team. Philly picked up Rollins option and he said he wants to play on the West Coast to end his career. Does Boston have any room for Lee. Lester, Beckett, Lackey, Bucholtz, DiceK.

Are the Pujols rumors true, i haven't heard that.
    ya i've heard some rumors about pujols's contract. he has a 2011 option on his contract and IMO pujols will take it. Some fans were mad when the Cardinals traded for Holliday and when they gave him that 7 year deal.

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

As much as I hate to see some of these players leave this is a few players I do not want to return. Most if not all have been key pieces of our World Series' but time is catching up to them.

Wakefield
    Varitek
    Ortiz

Quote Originally Posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    Needs: LF, backup 1B, RP, OF depth.

For the Braves.

Probably losing Wagner and Saito, but we have Kimbrel and Venters to replace both.

I'd like to add a veteran arm before handing the closer role to Kimbrel, but if we give it to Kimbrel, that's fine by me. He's been lights out since he's been up.

Freeman will replace Lee and Glaus, but i'd like a RH 1B backup to go with Freeman.

We better make a trade for an everyday LF'er, we have one of the best farm systems in baseball, make use of it and get another bat in the lineup.

Some players i'd like the Braves to target.

Xavier Nady
    Mike Sweeney
    Austin Kearns
    Pat Burrell
    Jason Kubel
    Frank Francisco
    Mariano Rivera ( I wish)
    Joaquin Benoit
    Jon Rauch
    There is no way the Twins give up Kubel.

Minnesota Twins

Needs: SP, SP, SP, SP, and SP.

The Twins are a few pieces of the puzzle away from getting over the hump. An Ace in the staff is what could really change things for Minnesota.

With the young talent they hold, Repko, Valencia, Butera, and Plauff. The Twins have some quality depth. I doubt Orlando Hudson will be returning next year so hopefully Alexi Casilla can finally mature into an every day player. He definitely has the talent to be.

The number one thing i'll be looking into this off-season is what happens with the return of Joe Nathan. The Twins had basically 3 closers on the roster at the end of the season. Rauch will be gone, but between Capps, Fuentes, and Nathan. That's some good trade bait.

My biggest concern for the Twins is Justin Morneau. The concussion that kept him out for an entire half of a season is a scary deal. I would hate to see him get another one, maybe one that could end his career. So maybe the Twins, as hard as it is for me to say, might look into trading him.

My Wish list for the Twins

Felix Hernandez.

Jhonny Peralta has signed with the Tigers.

Braves trade for Dan Uggla.

So happy. Gave up Infante and Dunn for Uggla who will give you 30+ HR's and 95+ RBI's.

Infante is a nice utility player, and Dunn is a power lefty but a bit eratic, don't mind losing him.

Amazing trade by Wren. I won't be surprised if there isn't an executive of the year in the future for Wren.

Up next, get a CF'er, and our lineup is looking great.