Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 82
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    24,672

    Thoughts on the idea of the NFL suspending players for "devastating hits"?

    I don't know if anybody listened to the discussion after tonights game, but suspending a player for a "devastating hit", which is something completely distinguished from a helmet-to-helmet, is totally absurd to me.

    If the NFL is seriously going to come out and say that you can't dish out a 100% legal hit on somebody that happens to knock the snot out of them, then that is truly ridiculous. This may not be what they're going to be doing, but if they do, then that's just crazy.

    Doing something like this would really change the NFL in a very bad way.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    I think it's stupid, seems like the league is growing softer and softer evey decade.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,120
    I think it's a good idea if they enforce how I think they should. I would only call it on the dirty, unnecessary hits like James Harrison's.

    Although the hit on Djack, there was no helmet to helmet that CB shouldn't have been fined. The CB (Dunta Robinson maybe?) hit his helmet on the shoulder pads of Djack.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    240
    Its just garbage. I can defend both sides of most NFL rule changes but this is absolutely ridiculous. Give the NFL 5 years and everyone will get a Lombardi trophy because "Everyone is a Winner!".


    I still keep to my 5-11 record. I dont have faith in McDaniels as a coach. Call me a hater or a Shanahan lover..whatever. I watched our team loaded with talent play a weaker opponent and lose. I've seen us replace a proven offensive genius (Shanahan) with a coach that took all the credit for Tom Brady's talent and watched our offense slowly turn into something you'd expect out of Detroit.

    Taken from http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...=172513&page=4

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    24,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie24 View Post
    I think it's a good idea if they enforce how I think they should. I would only call it on the dirty, unnecessary hits like James Harrison's.

    Although the hit on Djack, there was no helmet to helmet that CB shouldn't have been fined. The CB (Dunta Robinson maybe?) hit his helmet on the shoulder pads of Djack.
    Even the hits by Harrison I feel were fine.

    Anybody remember the hit that DJ had on Roy Williams last year in the Dallas game? That was a 100% legit hit, but I'm sure that would end up being called an unnecessary "devastating" hit. Is that seriously something worthy of a suspension? That's just a little crazy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I don't know if anybody listened to the discussion after tonights game, but suspending a player for a "devastating hit", which is something completely distinguished from a helmet-to-helmet, is totally absurd to me.

    If the NFL is seriously going to come out and say that you can't dish out a 100% legal hit on somebody that happens to knock the snot out of them, then that is truly ridiculous. This may not be what they're going to be doing, but if they do, then that's just crazy.

    Doing something like this would really change the NFL in a very bad way.

    Thoughts?
    I didn't hear that it was for anything other than helmet-to-helmet hits, like the one dished out by Dunta Robinson on Jackson this Sunday. I think this is what is being referred to as a "devastating hit". There are plenty of players who lead with their helmets when tackling. They currently protect the QB against hits on the helmet, so it's about time they start protecting other players.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    Even the hits by Harrison I feel were fine.

    Anybody remember the hit that DJ had on Roy Williams last year in the Dallas game? That was a 100% legit hit, but I'm sure that would end up being called an unnecessary "devastating" hit. Is that seriously something worthy of a suspension? That's just a little crazy.
    The hit Harrison put on Vince Young are the kind of hits that should only be in question. Overall it's BS imo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    Even the hits by Harrison I feel were fine.

    Anybody remember the hit that DJ had on Roy Williams last year in the Dallas game? That was a 100% legit hit, but I'm sure that would end up being called an unnecessary "devastating" hit. Is that seriously something worthy of a suspension? That's just a little crazy.
    That's different. For one DJ hit his ribs, not his head. Also, DJ hit him to stop him from catching the ball. Harrison hit the dude...to hit him. Like he said he wants to hurt people. DJ wants to stop them from catching the ball.

    It's totally different.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Denver.
    Posts
    0
    I think that if a player has one helmet to helmet hit in a month, that's one thing.

    I think when they have 7 in that same span or three in one game, that's another.

    If it's an accident and is genuinely just unfortunate, it shouldn't happen all that often. When one player's name repeatedly comes up however...

    Make it a rule like in basketball fouls. Get five unnecessary roughness flags in a season and you're done - FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON.

    If it happens once as an accident, no sweat. If someone's genuinely not trying to do it it's not going to happen four more times.

    If it happens five times, that's pretty intentional. There's a problem there and the player probably needs to be sat down anyway.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    24,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie24 View Post
    That's different. For one DJ hit his ribs, not his head. Also, DJ hit him to stop him from catching the ball. Harrison hit the dude...to hit him. Like he said he wants to hurt people. DJ wants to stop them from catching the ball.

    It's totally different.
    I know it's totally different. However, there is zero way to distinguish if they say it is simply a "devastating" hit.

    What is not "devastating" about that DJ Williams hit? He totally folded Roy Williams in half and left him in a heap on the ground for quite a while.

    They need to give specific guidelines and not let somebody looking at a hit 30 times from 6 different angles in super slow motion determine if it was "devastating" or not.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    24,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I think that if a player has one helmet to helmet hit in a month, that's one thing.

    I think when they have 7 in that same span or three in one game, that's another.

    If it's an accident and is genuinely just unfortunate, it shouldn't happen all that often. When one player's name repeatedly comes up however...

    Make it a rule like in basketball fouls. Get five unnecessary roughness flags in a season and you're done - FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON.

    If it happens once as an accident, no sweat. If someone's genuinely not trying to do it it's not going to happen four more times.

    If it happens five times, that's pretty intentional. There's a problem there and the player probably needs to be sat down anyway.
    IMO that's the best way to deal with this.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I know it's totally different. However, there is zero way to distinguish if they say it is simply a "devastating" hit.

    What is not "devastating" about that DJ Williams hit? He totally folded Roy Williams in half and left him in a heap on the ground for quite a while.

    They need to give specific guidelines and not let somebody looking at a hit 30 times from 6 different angles in super slow motion determine if it was "devastating" or not.
    In that regard, it just gives the refs even more control of an outcome of a game...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    tucson az
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    I didn't hear that it was for anything other than helmet-to-helmet hits, like the one dished out by Dunta Robinson on Jackson this Sunday. I think this is what is being referred to as a "devastating hit". There are plenty of players who lead with their helmets when tackling. They currently protect the QB against hits on the helmet, so it's about time they start protecting other players.
    I really don't think the hit on djak was helmet to helmet. The cb hit him in the chest and I feel like it was the snap that caused the whip.

    Tough to play when your thinking about pulling up at times. I would have found it hard trying to play like that.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I think that if a player has one helmet to helmet hit in a month, that's one thing.

    I think when they have 7 in that same span or three in one game, that's another.

    If it's an accident and is genuinely just unfortunate, it shouldn't happen all that often. When one player's name repeatedly comes up however...

    Make it a rule like in basketball fouls. Get five unnecessary roughness flags in a season and you're done - FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON.

    If it happens once as an accident, no sweat. If someone's genuinely not trying to do it it's not going to happen four more times.

    If it happens five times, that's pretty intentional. There's a problem there and the player probably needs to be sat down anyway.
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the situation, I couldn't have said it better myself.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny San Diego
    Posts
    545
    It's hard to say where you draw the line. Football is a gladiator sport. It's meant to be violent, or helmets and shoulder pads would'nt be necessary.

    But then when a guy like James Harrison says he wants to hurt people? You're crossing a line where you're taking a football helmet and using it as a weapon in my book.

    I don't want to see the NFL become any softer than what it has over the years, but I also don't want to anyone get hurt.

    But I also see the NFL contradicting themselves. They want to 'protect' the players, but they also want to add two more games to the regular season, which I say WILL cause more harm to the players in the long run!

    One topic of discussion on Mike & Mike this morning was maybe widening the field from 53 1/3 yards to 63 yards as they did in the CFL.
    HOME OF THE 12TH MAN!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •