Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    This sport better not turn into the NBA.

I'd be very upset.

The NFL should just go back to leather helmets and play with out or limited pads....no more helmet to helmet hits.....football was meant to be played this way. And I have played 11 on 11 football with arena football and semi pro and division 2 college players....its a lot safer...I think pads cause more injuries....the body is not in natural balance.

Wow.

Listening to Mark Schlereth kind of got me pumped!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLXJy3dap3o
    These hits are ridiculous. I support the NFL fining and suspending Harrison. Harrison is using his head as a weapon PURPOSELY. You can see on the Cribbs hit how at the last second he makes sure to hit his head.

I love big hits just as much as anyone but big hits don't require any head to head collision. I understand that this is the violent game of football and not chess club but c'mon, Harrison was purposely wielding his head like a sword and their is no place for dirty hits like that in the NFL.

I also want to say for brandon Merriweather that he at least apologized while Harrison is being a pre-madonna about the whole ordeal and has decided he might quit football because he isn't allowed to tackle like that.

when playing pee wee football i was taught to tackle by using your arms (not head) lower your shoulder, grab them low and drive them to the ground. Not launch your head like a missile towards the ball carriers own head.

Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

you already cant hit the qb...now you cant even hit recievers....lame

Quote Originally Posted by Syvari View Post
    you already cant hit the qb...now you cant even hit recievers....lame
    Read the new rule, then comment. It has nothing to do with hitting a receiver.

Seems to me the boundary is pretty simple...are you leading with your arms to tackle someone or are you leading with your helmet to hit them?

People talk like the NFL is becoming 'soft' but there were plenty of bone-jarring tackles back when football players cared more about limiting the opposition's gain then about highlight reels or 'hurting people.'

I have a deep respect for Schlereth, but I have some serious issues with his stance on this issue. He's a huge proponent of the league taking care of players after they retire, but he seems to view these hits that are PROVEN to cause head and neck injuries as 'just part of the game.' Concussions lead to long-term damage and even death...in my mind this is the league taking care of the players post-retirement.

I'm tired of the 'speed of the game' argument too. I understand that incidental helmet-to-helmet contact will happen, but when your arms are extended behind you and you're looking down at the ground, it's no coincidence when you hit some helmet-to-helmet.

i agree to an extent. Big hits will continue to happen but head hunting is different. Dunta's fine was BS but harrison and merriweathers should have been fined.

And harrison is acting like a baby about the fine. I hope he retires to the nfl can be done deal with such a punk.

I agree with the fines and elevating to suspension for hits like harrison and brandon did but not for the hit dunta did.
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Helmet-to-helmet blows

HTH blows should draw a suspension on a case-by-case basis. The game is so fast anything can happen. But, this is a two edged sword. This could make any kind of late hit or unneccessary roughness a suspension call. Then do we need to bring in booth reviews to determine a call? The NFL is quickly evolving from managers of the game to dictators of the game.

Bronco Lover

Unnecessary hits like Spearing, Launching, and Helmet To Helmet I can understand getting suspended for because they can lead to concussions.

Hard hits is part of football, but intent to injure someone it totally out of the question.

As far as quarterbacks are concerned, they need to bring back the "IN THE GRASP" rule. This year alone, more quarterbacks are getting concussions than the rest of the teams.
    D.E

Quote Originally Posted by DanEllis View Post
    Unnecessary hits like Spearing, Launching, and Helmet To Helmet I can understand getting suspended for because they can lead to concussions.

Hard hits is part of football, but intent to injure someone it totally out of the question.

As far as quarterbacks are concerned, they need to bring back the "IN THE GRASP" rule. This year alone, more quarterbacks are getting concussions than the rest of the teams.
    This is a little off topic, but in honor of "Raider WeeK" I thought some of you might be entertained by watching how the original "Bad Boys" actually played the game way back when.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuP0C...eature=related

I'm not for Flag Football, but when you see this it makes todays "dirty players" look like angels. There was no question about thier intent.
    "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

Bronco Lover

To everyone who has enjoyed the rivalry between the Broncos and Raiders, this game will probably break all the rules, along with a record amount of fines ever given for one game.

the Broncos and Raiders do not like each other at all.

As far as highlights of these two teams, I remember very well the hits given as well as received.
    D.E

Quote Originally Posted by DanEllis View Post
    To everyone who has enjoyed the rivalry between the Broncos and Raiders, this game will probably break all the rules, along with a record amount of fines ever given for one game.

the Broncos and Raiders do not like each other at all.

As far as highlights of these two teams, I remember very well the hits given as well as received.
    Richard Seymour will be the only one fined if anybody is fined during the game, I can guarantee it... But with the rapid increase Dollar Bills for fines I can see a pretty clean week which actually might help our cause since our team is not dirty one bit.

Crowder of Miami states he'll continue using his helmet. He said, "They give it to me to use, and I'm going to use it."

>>>http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=5708701

This is the mentality I hate. They gave you the helmet to protect yourself, not use it as a weapon, idiot.

After much thought, I've changed my stance on this a little. This is football, this is the way it's been played since the start, and the way it should continue to be played. These guys make millions of dollars to play this game, in my mind it is the equivalent to an undersea welder, a crab fisherman, and a high rise construction worker, all of these people make darn good money simply because of the risk of death, they are dangerous jobs, why should football be any different?

I do understand that we need to protect our players, but as a football player you are taught from a very young age how to protect yourself, it just sucks that a few isolated incidents is going to lead to a total restructuring of the rules, the refs are already way too involved in my opinion, this will only make it worse. If you play football, you know what you are getting into, you know the risks, and you accept them when you lace up your cleats.

Goodell and his band of fallopian fruit flippin ferries need to quit changing the game we all love so much, they are worried about serious injuries yet they want to expand the regular season? I don't get it.

Roger Goodell is the worse commisioner this league has ever seen already, his proposals are ludicris, he needs to understand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Death to Goodell!!!