All kidding aside.

I want to get your guys opinion on how much longer your coach will keep his job? I really thought at the time, and I think now it is even more apparent, that Marty should have never been fired, and Norv was a bad hire! Some people are meant to be HEAD COACHES, such as Marty and Shannahan, and some are just meant to be O-Cords. Such as Norv and our own McD.

What you all say?
    oh YEAH?

Quote Originally Posted by Axemaster View Post
    I want to get your guys opinion on how much longer your coach will keep his job? I really thought at the time, and I think now it is even more apparent, that Marty should have never been fired, and Norv was a bad hire! Some people are meant to be HEAD COACHES, such as Marty and Shannahan, and some are just meant to be O-Cords. Such as Norv and our own McD.

What you all say?
    I agree that Norv was a bad hire because he is not a leader of men. The firing of Marty was a different issue entirely, and it was done by Dean Spanos, not AJ Smith. When Marty lost both Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips, he was left without any viable coordinators. He tried to hire his brother Kurt as a coordinator, which was the final straw to Dean who has a no-nepotism policy. Nevertheless, AJ's caustic relationship with Marty meant that Dean had to make a decision sooner or later, and he chose AJ.

Getting back to Norv, yeah, he sucks at getting the team ready to play. Just like Wade Phillips, he is a smart guy who understands the game, but he's not a motivator. He runs a soft camp and the team comes out flat every year. They don't appear to me tough, mentally or physically, and that is a reflection of the coach.

I'm pretty tired of the guy. If not for Rivers' brilliance over the past few years, he would likely be gone already. I just wonder whether they will ever get rid of him as long as they are winning the division. Some have said that even if the Chargers don't make the playoffs, Norv will still keep his job. I really hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerbomb View Post
    I agree that Norv was a bad hire because he is not a leader of men. The firing of Marty was a different issue entirely, and it was done by Dean Spanos, not AJ Smith. When Marty lost both Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips, he was left without any viable coordinators. He tried to hire his brother Kurt as a coordinator, which was the final straw to Dean who has a no-nepotism policy. Nevertheless, AJ's caustic relationship with Marty meant that Dean had to make a decision sooner or later, and he chose AJ.

Getting back to Norv, yeah, he sucks at getting the team ready to play. Just like Wade Phillips, he is a smart guy who understands the game, but he's not a motivator. He runs a soft camp and the team comes out flat every year. They don't appear to me tough, mentally or physically, and that is a reflection of the coach.

I'm pretty tired of the guy. If not for Rivers' brilliance over the past few years, he would likely be gone already. I just wonder whether they will ever get rid of him as long as they are winning the division. Some have said that even if the Chargers don't make the playoffs, Norv will still keep his job. I really hope not.
    I'm thinking that Norv will probably keep his job until the year they don't make the playoffs... I give Norv a lot more credit than Bubba Phillips (I'm a Cowboy fan when they don't play the Broncos), and because or despite Norv, the Chargers have been legitimate SB contenders every year recently.

If the Chargers don't make the playoffs this year, then there's no doubt in my mind Norv's gone.

Just my opinion.
    Lifetime Broncos/Cowboys fan.

Unfortunately, I really don't see Norv being fired anytime soon. He is a package deal along with AJ Smith. Nobody else will coach for AJ Smith (except maybe Wade Phillips). And, for now, the Spanos family has faith in AJ.

So, it's a stale mate.

If things get bad enough (say a losing record), then I could see Spanos firing "both" AJ and Norv.

While I'm not a big fan of Norv and his slow starts, he has made the playoffs 3straight years. I'm not sure any other "current" coach can say that. Plus, he did win 11 straight games last year. That's pretty impressive in this day and age in the NFL.

Turner = Charlie Weis of the NFL

he wont get fired no matter what happens this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltheads View Post
    Unfortunately, I really don't see Norv being fired anytime soon. He is a package deal along with AJ Smith. Nobody else will coach for AJ Smith (except maybe Wade Phillips). And, for now, the Spanos family has faith in AJ.

So, it's a stale mate.

If things get bad enough (say a losing record), then I could see Spanos firing "both" AJ and Norv.

While I'm not a big fan of Norv and his slow starts, he has made the playoffs 3straight years. I'm not sure any other "current" coach can say that. Plus, he did win 11 straight games last year. That's pretty impressive in this day and age in the NFL.
    nice post i agree on all points.

I think it is way more likely AJ gets fired. He really botched up the offseason for San Diego and completely missed the boat on moving VJ for something due to his need to be a richard.

For all the good things he did to build a stout roster, he seems to be making alot of dumb moves (my opinion of course) lately.

I adopt andrewmlb.

Quote Originally Posted by McSmashie View Post
    I think it is way more likely AJ gets fired. He really botched up the offseason for San Diego and completely missed the boat on moving VJ for something due to his need to be a richard.

For all the good things he did to build a stout roster, he seems to be making alot of dumb moves (my opinion of course) lately.
    I'm sad to say that Norv is not going anywhere, especially after he just signed that contract extension. Whoever said earlier that he was OC material and not HC material just plain nailed it.

After watching our team the last couple of games I think they are the worst coached team in the league. That all comes back to Norv, no matter how much he can't seem to admit it.

As for AJ, I've decided I want him gone too. This IS in hindsight but his 1st rounders are coming up decidedly short.

Eli Manning - Meh

Shawne Merriman - If he hadn't been hurt I think he would have been decent off the roids.

Castillo - I'm sad to say that despite the amount of "suck" the guy packs he may be our best D lineman.

Cromartie - Don't even get me started. At least we'll get a 2nd for him.

"Buster" Davis - Actually made it to the playing field this year, dropped/Missed the clutch/game-winning balls against KC, Seattle, and Raiders.

Antoine Cason - Servicable at the moment, and he'll improve with time.

Larry English - He just plain needs to see the field more.

Ryan Mathews - Nice RB, he'll make it to good just as soon as he figures out he needs to protect the darn ball.

In my opinion AJ Smith has a history of bad picks the first couple of rounds, rounds 3-7 he does fairly well. However, he also let Turner and now VJ walk for nothing but comp picks...AJ was handed lemons and instead of making lemonade he just scowled at them.

I'd like both Norv and AJ to be gone, but I just don't see it happening. I'm hoping we claw our way back to relevance and hopefully the Super Bowl before Rivers retires or is traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
    I'm sad to say that Norv is not going anywhere, especially after he just signed that contract extension. Whoever said earlier that he was OC material and not HC material just plain nailed it.

After watching our team the last couple of games I think they are the worst coached team in the league. That all comes back to Norv, no matter how much he can't seem to admit it.

As for AJ, I've decided I want him gone too. This IS in hindsight but his 1st rounders are coming up decidedly short.

Eli Manning - Meh

Shawne Merriman - If he hadn't been hurt I think he would have been decent off the roids.

Castillo - I'm sad to say that despite the amount of "suck" the guy packs he may be our best D lineman.

Cromartie - Don't even get me started. At least we'll get a 2nd for him.

"Buster" Davis - Actually made it to the playing field this year, dropped/Missed the clutch/game-winning balls against KC, Seattle, and Raiders.

Antoine Cason - Servicable at the moment, and he'll improve with time.

Larry English - He just plain needs to see the field more.

Ryan Mathews - Nice RB, he'll make it to good just as soon as he figures out he needs to protect the darn ball.

In my opinion AJ Smith has a history of bad picks the first couple of rounds, rounds 3-7 he does fairly well. However, he also let Turner and now VJ walk for nothing but comp picks...AJ was handed lemons and instead of making lemonade he just scowled at them.

I'd like both Norv and AJ to be gone, but I just don't see it happening. I'm hoping we claw our way back to relevance and hopefully the Super Bowl before Rivers retires or is traded.
    Is there a general feeling for or against Charger fans about AJ?

AJ was handed lemons and instead of making lemonade he just scowled at them.
    This is CP worthy.

I adopt andrewmlb.

Quote Originally Posted by McSmashie View Post
    Is there a general feeling for or against Charger fans about AJ?
    It's very mixed. There are people who HATE him, and have for years. Then there are people who credit most of the Chargers success over the past 6 years to him, and feel that playoff failures have been coaching failures, not AJ failures. Everyone has an opinion on the guy, either they like him or they hate him.

Aided by high draft picks and a knack for finding UDFA gems, he built up a truly great roster. A lot of the stars from that 2006 team are now gone, but a new crop of good young players are stepping in. The team is clearly not "the most talented roster in the league" anymore, if it ever was, but it's a solid group. I happen to believe that the biggest problem is coaching right now. Ultimately, AJ hired Norv, so he deserves a lot of blame for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerbomb View Post
    It's very mixed. There are people who HATE him, and have for years. Then there are people who credit most of the Chargers success over the past 6 years to him, and feel that playoff failures have been coaching failures, not AJ failures. Everyone has an opinion on the guy, either they like him or they hate him.

Aided by high draft picks and a knack for finding UDFA gems, he built up a truly great roster. A lot of the stars from that 2006 team are now gone, but a new crop of good young players are stepping in. The team is clearly not "the most talented roster in the league" anymore, if it ever was, but it's a solid group. I happen to believe that the biggest problem is coaching right now. Ultimately, AJ hired Norv, so he deserves a lot of blame for that.
    Unfortunatly, a Owner can hire a great coach, can hire a great GM, can have talented players all over the field, and STILL somehow not have the succsess, that you would think would come out of it. Same thing happened for YEARS in KC with Carl Peterson and Marty.

Norv just isn't cut out to be a HEAD coach, that much is obvious. And I do not believe the Broncos have a HEAD coach right now either. We will be given at least two more years to find out, so we will see.

Bottom line is, you guys are not in this boat alone.
    oh YEAH?