Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrend View Post
    This is EXACTLY what I am talking about. I agree, the cutscenes were downright identical, but decisions you make influence the ME universe in ways that transcend the current shape of the galaxy, or "cycle", in ways that go beyond the little 2 minute endings . But by just watching the endings, you could argue it's the same result. SPOILERS: The mass effect relays are blown up, galaxy is stranded and seperated, etc. But each of your decisions, Destroy, Control, or Synthesis greatly influence how the NEXT CYCLE will be played out. It's more profound than just "Oh, I wanted my Shepard and his/her love interest to retire on some planet and live out their lives". It goes beyond that.

But people don't give a crap about any of that and just want to see a clear cut ending and be done thinking about it.

So I guess, to each their own. I would have liked a little more character followup, a little more showing of how your choice effects the galaxy, all that. But I hate all the negative backlash Bioware is getting because some people don't actually want to think at the end of thier game/series.
    You're right. It does go BEYOND that. Maybe you should take a visit to the BioWare forums. No one's upset that the ending didn't grant us the "Shepard gets his girl and lives happily ever after". Would the option of having that ending based on our choices be a plus? Yes. But ultimately that has nothing to do with the backlash.

We're upset because the ending disregarded every choice we made in ME1, ME2, and all of the ME3 choices, and simply makes no logical sense. What was the point of saving the Rachni in ME1 and saving them again in ME3 if you don't even see them in the final battle or ending? What's the point of keeping my squad alive from ME2 when none of it changes the outcome of the ending? What's the point of killing that guy in ME1, blowing that place up in ME2, and rescuing those civilians in ME3 if we don't know the outcome? What's the point of even playing the previous games knowing that no matter what you choose throughout the trilogy the resolution will always be the same?

This is a trilogy to a series where our choices are greatly supposed to effect the outcome and the state of the galaxy in the third game. Casey Hudson said there would be 16 different endings, SIXTEEN. Where did the other 13 vanish off to? I'll even post the quote if you want evidence.

Going back to the original Halo trilogy. We didn't have to use "imagination". Why? Because Halo 3 had CLOSURE. We saw what happened to the Arbiter, Covenant, Chief, comrades, etc. Sure, you could speculate what happened to Chief after the ending, but that was essentially the only question mark (what happened to our hero?) because we saw how everything else that happened within the trilogy unfolded before our very eyes in the finale. Halo 3 gave you a sense of accomplishment.

Mass Effect 3 doesn't have that at all. Regardless of what ending you choose, it still doesn't answer or conclude anything that has happened within the whole trilogy. Actually, the endings CONTRADICT what Shepard's been opposing for THREE GAMES. Convincing TIM that you can't control the reapers only to end up doing the same yourself? Where's the logic? SPOILERS Why sacrifice Legion and bring peace between the Quarians and Geth, only to choose 'destroy' -- wiping out all Synthetic life? Again, where's the logic?

Bring up the "imagination" excuse if you want. That's appropriate for a first or second game, but when you're talking about the final conclusion to a series, you should feel like you've accomplished something. In the end, I only felt like I wasted my time and apparently I'm not alone.

Pre-ordered, and I still can't play.

Heck at this point I'd gladly take a headless Shepard.

AAA title my foot.

For those that have played the multiplayer, why is it so darn hard for some people to stand inside the freakin' glowing circle?! Am I the only one that hates playing with Vanguards?

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
    Pre-ordered, and I still can't play.

Heck at this point I'd gladly take a headless Shepard.

AAA title my foot.

For those that have played the multiplayer, why is it so darn hard for some people to stand inside the freakin' glowing circle?! Am I the only one that hates playing with Vanguards?
    I play with my friends mostly, so I haven't run into that problem with the circle.

One of my buddies however loves his vanguard and it does get us in trouble sometimes in Silver and it is almost unusable in Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrend View Post
    God, I just feel flat out embarrassed for these people who are having this hard of a time dealing with ME3's ending.

It's just really, really sad to see so many people have such a sense of entitlement and be so absolutely childish about this situation.

I absolutely loved ME3, and liked the ending, but I agree there are problems with it. There were plot holes, and the I can see how the general vagueness can rub people the wrong way.

But I think a lot of this was due to the original leak of the ending before the game was finished, and they tried to patch it up and send it. They should probably have just pushed it back a few months, ate some money, and put more time into it.

But at the same time, get a hold of yourselves people. ME3 was one of the greatest games I have ever played, and if you actually use a little imagination and thought process, you can see how your choice at the end of the game shapes the ME universe for many, many years in the future.

Some people are so reliant on a damn cutscene to show them what is happening that when they don't get it, they just assume nothing happens. It's like they have to be spoonfed the story or else it doesn't count. Pretty lame to me.
    People aren't upset that we didn't get a cutscene to show what's happening. People are upset because none of our decisions mattered, and the massive plotholes.

It sounds like you can overlook those things, good for you. Glad you enjoy it.

This picture sums up my feelings:

you can see how your choice at the end of the game shapes the ME universe for many, many years in the future
    You mean how the Mass Relays are destroyed, which pretty much destroys the ME universe. What's Mass Effect without the Mass Relays? What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    People aren't upset that we didn't get a cutscene to show what's happening. People are upset because none of our decisions mattered, and the massive plotholes.

It sounds like you can overlook those things, good for you. Glad you enjoy it.

This picture sums up my feelings:

You mean how the Mass Relays are destroyed, which pretty much destroys the ME universe. What's Mass Effect without the Mass Relays? What's the point?
    Well....

Spoiler:
    The Quarians get stranded on Earth right after getting their home world back, your team is stranded on a deserted planet, and all the other planets still under attack have most of their capable people on Earth or the Crucible

Meaning......complete crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
    Well....

Spoiler:
    The Quarians get stranded on Earth right after getting their home world back, your team is stranded on a deserted planet, and all the other planets still under attack have most of their capable people on Earth or the Crucible

Meaning......complete crap.
    Spoilers:
    Not just the Quarians but also the Krogan, Asari, Turians, and Geth (depending on what color you like best). And on top of that, almost everyone on the Citadel was killed by the time the Crucible fired. It's as if BioWare wanted to flat out ruin the entire franchise in one go. Congrats, they certainly succeeded.

The final nail in the coffin was finding out that the 'Stargazer' scene supposedly takes place 10,00 years after ME3. The dialogue in that scene suggests they still haven't made their way back to space travel at that point.

Watch this video about a theory on the ending. SPOILERS, obviously. But after watching it, the theory makes a lot of sense.

SPOILERS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_...layer_embedded
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/impairedbobcat/newvegasvaultboy2.png?t=1287299316

Quote Originally Posted by Amari24 View Post
    Spoilers:
    Not just the Quarians but also the Krogan, Asari, Turians, and Geth (depending on what color you like best). And on top of that, almost everyone on the Citadel was killed by the time the Crucible fired. It's as if BioWare wanted to flat out ruin the entire franchise in one go. Congrats, they certainly succeeded.

The final nail in the coffin was finding out that the 'Stargazer' scene supposedly takes place 10,00 years after ME3. The dialogue in that scene suggests they still haven't made their way back to space travel at that point.
    Kinda reminds me of the Star Wars "a long long time ago, in a galaxy far away"....and to quote fat bastard....plus crap.

Spoiler:

Not to mention FTL was available in every single ship, regardless of the Mass Relays, so unless you picked "destroy all machines", every ship could at least be usable in some degree on a much smaller scale. Hell, Matriarch Bartender even talked about making their own Mass Relays, so they must have understood the technology, even if it was destroyed.

Suddenly the Reapers are gone/controlled and they decide that jumping back 100 years over the course of the next few millennium sounds like a brilliant idea.

The whole darn thing felt like a college art project that some kid threw together on 3 all-nighters fueled by redbull, and "deep meaning" made up while rushing to class.

Here is a fun game we can all play: let's try and make a WORSE ending for the game, much more challenging than making a better one. Hell, even the cookie cutter Disney ending would have at least felt like some decisions mattered.

My worse ending: Shepard defeats the Reapers by throwing magical rocks at them, while muttering 80s movie catchphrases, and then rides off into the sunset on a rainbow.

At yet even that would have been at least comical....

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfreak_56 View Post
    Watch this video about a theory on the ending. SPOILERS, obviously. But after watching it, the theory makes a lot of sense.

SPOILERS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_...layer_embedded
    Yea I've seen some of the theory vids. Some of them actually are halfway plausible.

The only problem is it still wouldn't cure the problem of no customizable ending, it just would make it a craptastic cliffhanger.

If the video was 100% on the button, then it would be like 10 year olds trying to recreate a deeper ending like Inception.

and on another rant....what the hell does Shepard have to do to receive a promotion?! Kaiden or Ashley both are promoted numerous times for simply hanging with Shep for the ride. It should be Captain Shepard, or Admiral Shepard!!

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
    and on another rant....what the hell does Shepard have to do to receive a promotion?! Kaiden or Ashley both are promoted numerous times for simply hanging with Shep for the ride. It should be Captain Shepard, or Admiral Shepard!!
    I don't know, being a Spectre is pretty much a higher rank than Major.

I'd imagine Spoiler: If Shepard was to live after the final battle, He'd become a Admiral in replacement of Anderson.

Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Barf.....

Worst ending of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    I don't know, being a Spectre is pretty much a higher rank than Major.

I'd imagine Spoiler: If Shepard was to live after the final battle, He'd become a Admiral in replacement of Anderson.
    Kaiden outranks Shepard and has since ME2, but that's irrelevant simply because Shepard is commanding officer of the Normandy which Alenko chose to serve on.

Ashley is promoted to Lt. Commander by ME3 (which is unrealistic in itself), and is also made Spectre. So technically her and Shep have equal ranks, but Shepard being in charge of the Normandy and also being Lt. Commander longer makes her still refer to him as "Commander".

Plus, there's the fact that Shepard was dead for two years, worked for Cerberus, destroyed a whole Batarian system, and was kept on Earth for some time. You're not going to gain too many ranks like that. If Shepard hadn't died at the start of ME2 he would've at least been a Staff Commander, which would make him higher than Ashley but lower than Kaiden still.

Look at all that variety! It's nice to know that the 100+ hours we spent playing 3 games ended with a buffet of scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Amari24 View Post
    Spoilers:

I actually don't think the stargazer ending was earth. I got the impression that it might have been Jokers planet that they ended up on which would make sense that they didn't have space travel.

Finally beat mass effect 1 gonna work on 2 then continue on to 3