Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Elway in search of old magic

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18159505

Paige: Elway in search of old magic
    By Woody Paige
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 05/28/2011 12:33:45 AM MDT

John Elway has a three-year plan for returning the Broncos to splendor on the grass. The central components of his strategy are:

• Lead as an executive as he did as a player.

• Bring back the Mile High Magic by building a better defense that will get the home crowd raucous again.

• Assemble, primarily through the draft, quality players — and quality people — at every position.

• Persuade former Broncos to become involved with the team, working for the franchise full-time, showing up and/or mentoring at training camp and serving as a support group throughout the season.

• Reconnect the Broncos with Coloradans.

• Strive for continuity on the coaching staff and the roster.

• Create within the organization a positive environment without dissension, distrust and discord.

• Find out if Tim Tebow can be an NFL quarterback.

There was peace in Dove Valley a couple of days ago. No players were hanging around rehabilitating, studying film, lifting weights or throwing passes. Coach John Fox, his assistants and most of the senior managers and other employees had left for extended vacations before the Memorial Day weekend.

But a solitary man was going through a rigorous workout.

John Elway took off his sweat suit, showered, put on his business suit and morphed into the Broncos' executive vice president. He settled into an office that once had been occupied by Mike Shanahan, then Josh McDaniels. He seems as comfortable up here on the second floor as he once did down there in the locker room.

Elway deals daily with what he calls "the three-year plan to have us winning the division title every year, and more, of course."

The Broncos, the second- worst team in pro football in 2010, are not a quick repair. Knowing that affected their draft strategy.

"Everybody knows that we need a defensive tackle," Elway said. "We believe (linebacker) Von Miller was the best player in the draft. If we were just trying to do something for this year, we would have traded all those other picks to get (Nick) Fairley (after picking Von Miller). But we need a lot of very good players."

The Broncos would have chosen 6-foot-5, 310-pound Clemson defensive tackle Jarvis Jenkins in the second round, but that sly Shanahan grabbed him four selections earlier. The Broncos shifted their attention elsewhere.

Ol' No. 7, an offensive player, values defense above all.

"We've got to get back to dominating at home, and the way you do that is with a great defense," Elway said. "Our fans want to be loud. But if the defense stays on the field for so many plays and can't stop anybody, after a while the crowd kind of gives up. You make some big plays, get a turnover or a punt, and the crowd will have an effect on us and the other team.

"We've got to go 6-2 or better at home."

Elway is talking to two ex-players about jobs with the Broncos, and intends, once the lockout is ended, to invite other former Broncos to practices and back into the headquarters. The previous regime had little time for Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright, Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Dave Studdard and the rest of the loyal Orange-and-Blue Men.

"We want our players to learn from the older guys what it means to be a Bronco," he said.

Elway has witnessed up-close the labor strife from both sides. The players went on strike in 1987; the owners have imposed a lockout this year.

"I had a feeling of frustration then. I wanted to be playing, but I never would have left my teammates and crossed the (picket) line. I'm frustrated now. But I know I can't do anything; it's out of my control."

He said the offense, with coordinator Mike McCoy returning, "has the same terminology and will be running a lot of the same plays, but our defense is totally different, and that's going to be a more difficult adjustment. I'm just hoping (a settlement) will get done before training camp."

Then there is that hot-button issue on offense.

Who will be the No. 1 quarterback? At one point, Elway and Fox stated during the offseason that Kyle Orton is the starter heading into training camp. Both have said all three QBs — Orton, Tebow and Brady Quinn — will be given a chance to become the starter. And Elway has been quoted as wondering about Tebow's future and, later, being the young left-hander's biggest backer.

This is his position:

"I have nothing but respect for Tim. He has so many qualities that can't be coached, and he was a proven winner in college. Can he be a starting quarterback and a winner on this level? He started three games, but Tim is no further along at this time than he was a year ago. We don't know yet what he will become.

"I hope that Tim becomes a Hall of Famer as the Broncos quarterback."

Like Elway.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Wow, some insight from Elway. Thanks for the post BroncoLee.

I love this quote: "We want our players to learn from the older guys what it means to be a Bronco". Bring it back 7

Aloha
    HE>i

"Everybody knows that we need a defensive tackle," Elway said. "We believe (linebacker) Von Miller was the best player in the draft. If we were just trying to do something for this year, we would have traded all those other picks to get (Nick) Fairley (after picking Von Miller). But we need a lot of very good players."
    I like this quote.

It shows that the Broncos weren't blinded by the perceptions of the fans or experts about what was really important.

They wanted a defensive tackle and had several of them as potential targets but when those targets weren't available or too expensive to acquire they did the right thing and looked at other positions.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I like this quote.

It shows that the Broncos weren't blinded by the perceptions of the fans or experts about what was really important.

They wanted a defensive tackle and had several of them as potential targets but when those targets weren't available or too expensive to acquire they did the right thing and looked at other positions.
    Yup, That's why we have to trust their plans for the future of this franchise, and i'm really glad that they stuck to it. I can't wait to see what they do in free agency, when all is said and done.
    HE>i

cp coming thanks for the post

I liked this quote:

Ol' No. 7, an offensive player, values defense above all.

Elway knows what he's doing
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Call me superstitious, but it seemed to me that the old Mile High Magic died when Mile High Stadium was torn down. In that old dump, we could start the corpse of Elvis at QB and we'd still win. We RARELY lost there, teams LOATHED playing there. Now? The first game at Invesco was a LOSS, and its been ugly since then. Do we even HAVE a homefield advantage there? Barely, perhaps...

Great idea by John here:

Elway is talking to two ex-players about jobs with the Broncos, and intends, once the lockout is ended, to invite other former Broncos to practices and back into the headquarters. The previous regime had little time for Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright, Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Dave Studdard and the rest of the loyal Orange-and-Blue Men.

"We want our players to learn from the older guys what it means to be a Bronco," he said.
    Super! Lots of guys still live around town. Meck, for example, never left. Gradishar, as far as I know, same. Terrell still comes around. Get these guys together!

And hey, is there a chance we could see the Mississippi Mud Walk again?!

Anybody concerned with this "He started three games, but Tim is no further along at this time than he was a year ago." I'm hoping Timmy will prove some people wrong this year even Elway but I like that he is hard on his QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by premier-ace55 View Post
    Anybody concerned with this "He started three games, but Tim is no further along at this time than he was a year ago." I'm hoping Timmy will prove some people wrong this year even Elway but I like that he is hard on his QB's.
    I really didn't like that statement. Tebow is farther along, but not nearly as far along as he could be since he didn't get any reps until Orton was injured. What lack of progress he has is the fault of former Broncos management, IMO.
    Last edited by nyuk nyuk; 05-28-2011 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by premier-ace55 View Post
    I think what was meant by that statement is that he is "no further along" in the sense that we still don't know if he will be our franchise QB.....which is true. He needs at least 1 to 2 seasons under his belt as a starting QB to really know if that will be the case. So.....Elway is just doing what he has done since he was put into this position....being honest. But it doesn't mean that Tim isn't getting better, just that the determination of what Tim is to this franchise hasn't been made yet.....which is fair.

Well it would be great to see some old Broncos around the place in training camp helping out in some way. I just re-watched the 1997 and 1998 Americas game video and wow. The passion they had for the Denver Broncos is something that seems to be non-existent. We need this team to want to be Broncos and right now there seems to be no pride in the jersey amongst the players. That pride must be restored.

Also on the Tebow comment I think it is a valid point made. I don't know if you could stay he has really grown from the pre season or more importantly grown from his 1st start to his 3rd start. Sure his stats per pretty and the comeback was great however some of his reads and throws and decisions were really poor. He was solid but like the article stated. He isn't much further along which is understandable considering his limited opportunity and we are not sure if he is the franchise guy right now.

I would love to see Elway down the on the sidelines during the games just chatting with fellas. That IMO would give them all a lift just playing in the presence of a great like Elway.

Three year plan huh?

I'm guessing that means he's gonna want to have a franchise QB in place by this time next year whether Tebow or new draft pick.
    “4th quarter comebacks means a guy screwed up in the first three quarters.” ~Peyton

Quote Originally Posted by db1978 View Post
    Three year plan huh?

I'm guessing that means he's gonna want to have a franchise QB in place by this time next year whether Tebow or new draft pick.
    Well if Tebow doesn't pan out we have a good shot next year at getting one of two top elite QB's IMO. Andrew Luck or Landry Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
    Call me superstitious, but it seemed to me that the old Mile High Magic died when Mile High Stadium was torn down. In that old dump, we could start the corpse of Elvis at QB and we'd still win. We RARELY lost there, teams LOATHED playing there. Now? The first game at Invesco was a LOSS, and its been ugly since then. Do we even HAVE a homefield advantage there? Barely, perhaps...
    Yeah it's a shame it's not like the old days. I've never been to the mile high but of course know all about it like we've all heard. Thing is, the team has to be pretty good to get where we want to go. Old mile high stadium probably did actually help win us some games and Invesco probably doesn't.

However like Elway said, as long as we build an intimidating defense, home-field advantage will come back by getting the fans back into it. I cannot wait to see Rivers, Cassel, and whatshisface in Jokeland get their asses planted by the new Orange Crush
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
    It is the build of the stadium that killed the noise-ability: the sound deadening concrete under the stadium seats...I sat in row 9 on the 45 yard line Broncos side at the Seattle game last year and I tell you it took A TON OF EFFORT to make anywhere near enough noise. Even then I felt it was not nearly enough. You should be able to go bananas and not discern anybody's talking or screaming- it should be just one massive noise kettle.

I have been to quite a few stadiums over the years, none better in my experience (of all attended in the east) than Three Rivers... man that was unbelievably noisy when the fans wanted to make noise...

So until that problem gets corrected by renovation, Invesco will be a sound deadening dud.
    Canadian Denver Bronco Fan Club #60