20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, Why not?

5 25.00%
  • No Thanks

11 55.00%
  • Well, It depends

4 20.00%
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    Cecil Lammey here, thanks for listening!

Here's the link to the interview...

http://denverssportsstation.com/page.php?page_id=45#

Also had on Matt Williamson from ESPN.com and Scouts INC plus Russ Lande from Sporting News War Room on yesterday
    Last edited by Cecil Lammey; 02-06-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    senior writer: [URL=http://footballguys.com]Footballguys.com[/URL]

NFL Insider [URL=http://denverssportsstation.com]102.3 ESPN[/URL]

I've been sayin we should draft D.J. Williams if we could get him in the 3rd for a while now. I believe he could really help out whatever qb is starting next year.

disclaimer: I'm a Razorbacks fan

I like George Bryan from NC state as a 5th round guy he might shoot up draft boards come draft due to his athleticism but the kid is a nice prospect and would give Tebow that safety net over the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by gpholmes View Post
    Lol thats what I thought, there's not enough room on this team for two DJ Williams
    Imagine if we drafted him, kept our DJ, brought back Jack Williams, and then went back in time and got Darrent Williams. The world may explode in Williams!

But back on topic I rather use every draft pick on defense.

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Sorry he is not a Fox/McCoy type TE to light and not a good enough blocker. Fox rarely holds TE's in high regard (known to be round 5 picks or less) doesnt use them a lot as receivers but as blockers (and with a run heavy offense that isnt a bad idea). He prefers combo TE's like Graham most of the time if he does use them as receivers. In other words the TE-corps may not change all that much and it may suite us just demote Graham or phase him out and replace him next year.

Charlie Gantt
    Schuylar Oordt
    Julius Thomas
    Daniel Hardy

and maybe either Smith
    These are the guys that are closer to his mold

With Coats we have our H-back
    Quinn = Barnidge or if we give him passes maybe King
    Grownkowski = Rosario
    Graham = King (had better yardage and similar receptions although stone hands graham droped 10% more of his catches.)

King is a FA maybe we pick him up he has good hands (+58% CR as the starter but was only targeted 32 times) and he is a good blocker. The TE's on the Panthers have a total of 50 receptions yes thats twice as many as us but they use them the same way.
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 02-07-2011 at 12:56 AM.

No offense to Fox but I wish he cam out of retirement to coach us and no offense to Shanny if he retired or took the college job when his contract was up I would have loved having Dungy as a coach to replace him.

I admire that man I doubt as a Tampa 2 coach we could have fully utilized him (like Fox) but still Dungy is one of the most respectable men at his position.

Despite the fact he really isnt an offensive guy and really had the people around him and the draft sway him to Manning, I still respect his opinion.

Krieger: Finances May Sway Broncos (to trade down from #2)

Krieger: Finances may sway Broncos

Now that the big game is over, the bigger game can begin. For the Broncos, it's not a minute too soon.

If you believe John Elway, whether the Broncos exercise or trade the second pick in the NFL's April draft may depend on if a new collective bargaining agreement is achieved by then.

Asked about the pick last week, here's what Elway told the NFL Network:

"We're in the process of setting that board up. The board is set, but as far as where we're going to go with it, we don't really know until we find out what's going to go on the collective bargaining agreement, because obviously that second pick is an expensive pick if it stays as it is.

"That's what we're hoping, that the collective bargaining agreement comes together quickly, and then once that comes together we can kind of figure out our philosophy going into this draft. Because where we are, we've got three picks in the top 46 picks, so we've got to make sure those hit, especially that second pick."

The implication of these remarks is that the cost of the second overall pick under current rules, which do not limit pay packages for unproven draft picks, could persuade the Broncos to trade down. On the other hand, if a new labor deal imposes the rookie salary scale the league is seeking, the Broncos would feel free to exercise the pick.

This is not the first suggestion that the Broncos have financial issues. In 2009, their player payroll was $26 million below the NFL salary cap of $128 million. Because the league opted out of the labor agreement, there was no cap in 2010. But had there been, the Broncos' cap number reportedly would have been $102.9 million, which would have ranked 27th out of 32 teams.

Last year's second pick, defensive tackle Ndam- ukong Suh, got a five-year, $68 million contract, $40 million of it guaranteed, from the Detroit Lions.

But counting on a new collective bargaining agreement in time for the draft looks like a longshot. Friday, at his annual Super Bowl news conference, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell urged intensive negotiations in an effort to reach an agreement by the expiration of the current deal on March 3.

The two sides met Saturday and pledged to continue meeting. But with owners proposing two additional regular-season games and a reduction in the players' percentage of revenues, both sides have made well-publicized preparations for a lengthy lockout beginning March 4.

Whether the Broncos would be willing to exercise the second pick, betting that a rookie salary scale will ultimately be a part of the labor settlement, isn't clear from Elway's remarks. Many independent analysts believe the rookie scale is likely to be part of the settlement, but no one is willing to hazard a guess as to when that might happen.

In the absence of a labor deal, the rules beginning March 4 are unclear. The league says clubs can use the franchise and transition player tags before then, meaning the Broncos could franchise Champ Bailey if they choose.

The union disputes that interpretation and may challenge use of the franchise tag if teams deploy it between now and March 4. Besides, if the Broncos have financial issues, they might consider the franchise tag too expensive anyway.

The league seems likely to authorize draft-day trades even without a labor agreement, but such deals would be fraught with complications if no one knows the financial implications of the various picks being traded. This could also complicate any effort to trade veteran quarterback Kyle Orton as part of a draft-day deal.

Of course, the Broncos may not even pursue that widely rumored deal. Elway also said last week that Orton remains the Broncos' starting quarterback.

Maybe only one thing is clear: Elway and the Broncos know where their needs lie. Asked if there is a specific hole he hopes to fill in the draft, this was his reply:

"We have several holes. We were 32nd in defense last year. So obviously that is very much a concern."

Elway's hope for a resolution to the labor dispute before he has to map out a draft plan seems likely to be dashed. In that case, he will have to roll the dice, either exercising the second pick and hoping for a rookie salary scale or trading down to avoid the risk.

Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com or twitter.com/DaveKrieger

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_17314668

Listening to Xanders on his recent interview with TheFan in Dallas I got the impression unless someone offers us a ton of draft picks are intend to use the 2nd pick.

As for the money stuff, those rumors been flying around for a couple years but we just gave Doom a little more guarenteed money then what Peppers got (only by 1 or 2 mil total) and Champ almost signed a huge contract....if he jumped on it quicker he would probably be under contract right now.

I think we are probably being a little careful with our money considering the fact the owners want the players to be getting less money which means the salary cap will go down...this could cause allot of problems to teams right at the cap.

We got in trouble with the cap before and my bet is Bowlen does not want us to be in any kind of posistion for that to happen again.
    Trevor Siemian is not good enough to play QB in the NFL...not even as a backup.

This is not the first suggestion that the Broncos have financial issues. In 2009, their player payroll was $26 million below the NFL salary cap of $128 million. Because the league opted out of the labor agreement, there was no cap in 2010. But had there been, the Broncos' cap number reportedly would have been $102.9 million, which would have ranked 27th out of 32 teams.
    Some observations.

First, it's unclear why the Broncos salary structure is among the lowest teams in the league.

Hopefully he's simply being cautious since they don't know what the salary cap will look like in 2011 or 2012.

But, if Pat Bowlen becoming a senile cheap bastard is the reason, then they Broncos are in for a bitter divorce between the team and the fans.

Nobody cares how much money the Broncos spend. We care about winning. And of course, you cannot simply BUY a team of veteran FAs and win the SB or the Washington Redskins would be parading with the SB trophy today, instead of the Green Bay Packers.

BUT, once you have a solid core of veteran starters through the draft you need to sign a FEW elite veterans to fill in the holes. That's how the Patriots & Steelers have been so successful over the years. And those guys are expensive.

Until now it hasn't mattered because the Broncos haven't had that solid core of draft picks to create the possibility of a championship in recent years. There was NO POINT in going out on a limb in FA. But, things will change in the next few years. At that point Bowlen damn well better step up in FA!

We better NOT look up 2 years from now and see that the Broncos are #27 in the league in salary and are $25 million below the cap or something! NOT UNLESS they are also winning the division at least! And even then it will make me angry.

You just have to look at the Avalanche and Nuggets. A LOT of fans have lost interest in the Avalanche because their cheap-ass owner simply stopped investing in the team and now they're simply not competitive for the Stanley Cup. Interest shifted to the Nuggets for a few years as they WERE competitive, but now after the Carmelo debacle that's likely to change too.

Bowlen may think that can't happen with the Broncos but he's mistaken. Fans aren't going to pay ever higher ticket prices to see mediocrity. Those tickets are incredibly expensive. If we sense that Bowlen doesn't have an all out commitment to winning the SB, then forget it. He could wake up and find out that the Rockies are the most popular team in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Listening to Xanders on his recent interview with TheFan in Dallas I got the impression unless someone offers us a ton of draft picks are intend to use the 2nd pick.

As for the money stuff, those rumors been flying around for a couple years but we just gave Doom a little more guarenteed money then what Peppers got (only by 1 or 2 mil total) and Champ almost signed a huge contract....if he jumped on it quicker he would probably be under contract right now.

I think we are probably being a little careful with our money considering the fact the owners want the players to be getting less money which means the salary cap will go down...this could cause allot of problems to teams right at the cap.

We got in trouble with the cap before and my bet is Bowlen does not want us to be in any kind of posistion for that to happen again.
    I hope that you're right. Because the alternative is that as Bowlen gets older and more senile by the month he also is getting more and more of a tight-wad. That happens too in sports -- teams in the death grip of some senile old coot who's pinching pennies.

That wasn't true in the past of course, but it was a BIG reason why Bowlen fired Mike Shanahan and he's been sounding the alarm for "fiscal responsibility" in recent years.

Well, we fans don't WANT "fiscal responsibility", we want a championship. That doesn't mean you have to spend recklessly. But, you do have to be willing to spend up to the cap to be competitive.

If Bowlen starts becoming one of those worthless cheapskate bastard owners like Bill Bidwell (AZ Cardinals owner), then he damn well better SELL THE TEAM to somebody with more money and commitment!

If the team was winning... But a cheap roster that went to the bottom of the division is not a very attractive view for the fans. All those millions of dollars below the cap could have brought much better talent to the front seven, for example.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    If the team was winning... But a cheap roster that went to the bottom of the division is not a very attractive view for the fans. All those millions of dollars below the cap could have brought much better talent to the front seven, for example.
    That's my point. If the team is playing in the AFC Championship then who cares what the salary cap is? BUT if the team is finishing 3rd in the division and missing the playoffs and there are some FAs out there who could help?

Or if the team fails to re-sign veteran FAs who are desperately needed (like Champ Bailey). Then you have to question their commitment. And if Pat Bowlen is not going to do everything he can to win a championship, then why should we fans pay the outrageous ticket prices he charges?

To the OP.

Interesting that the CBA will play that much of a role into what we do with #2 - that and our own financial mess.

I would be shocked if a CBA is not in place because I think these people are going to shoot themselves in the foot, however, I don't know if it gets done in time for the draft.

Playing that out, that would mean we would be actively trying to trade out of that pick and I just don't know what that would mean for us in 2011.

There aren't a ton of teams with the ammo to trade into that slot unless they include 2012 picks.

We can get players back in a trade down scenario because there's no player movement without a CBA in place.

I'm going to go back to the gut on this one and say I think we'll trade down, we'll get another 1st and another 2 picks (between rounds 2 - 5) and get another first next year.

Kinda stinks when you look at that, but that's my guess (at this moment in time).
    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

This is why i choose not to argue with these "Draft Experts" on this forum about trades that they feel are not fair value for Denver.

In my latest mock I have Denver trading with Tennessee so they can draft Cam Newton. In that trade I have us getting the Titans 2nd and 4th rd picks.

That may not be "Fair" value, but the question I had to ask myself is 'How bad does the Titans want to move up, and how bad does the Broncos want to move back?'

If the Broncos have absolutely no problems with staying pat and drafting Cameron Jordan with the #2 pick , then they won't move unless Tennessee is willing to give us the necessary picks to trade up to the #2 spot.

But if the Broncos desperately want to get out of the #2 spot, then I believe they will be willing to take less than what the draft chart recommends we get, as long as its a "Fair" trade.

To bad Patty Bowlen is making straight cash homie off of Tebow merchandise...