Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

The boom stick thread

I want to pick one up and have a sidearm that can share ammo and possibly mags depending on if I go autoloader or not. I figure I can go full bore cowboy style and get a Marlin 1894C or something similar, or go with something like a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 .40 or 9mm, or any of various other semi-auto variations. One other option I considered was one of those Mech Tech carbine conversion units, where you pull the slide off your Glock 17 or 1911 and basically slap on a 16" bbl carbine upper. Advantage of that is I already have a 1911, and since it's just an upper, I can order it online without having to get FFL involved. Disadvantage would be that .45ACP ammo (that's what my 1911 is) ain't super cheap these days, so shooting it for fun could get real expensive real quick (that is unless I can convince the little lady I need to add some reloading equipment to my garage too ) On the flip side, I can used the .357magnum ammo for the Marlin to take down game responsibly as large as deer at closer range (read under 100yds), and I can use .38 specials for plinkin' in the same gun to save some dough, oh and I could go shopping for a shiny new revolver too lol. Also, getting a 9mm variation could be cool too, since I'm pretty sure the Sub2k accepts glock mags and I could get a high capacity mag for the carbine.

BAH! So many options! I'd like to stay under $800 for the Carbine and Handgun as a set. Especially since it's going to be for fun/ varmit shooting mainly. I figure if I go used, and or depending on the manufacturer this shouldn't be too hard.

So what do you guys have? What have you had in the past that you enjoyed? What recommendations do you have and why?

Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Marlin, since I just think lever action is cool. But I definitely haven't ruled out autoloaders.

Quote Originally Posted by kishzilla View Post
    That would probably be a slightly more capable hunting set-up when taking down something as big as a deer. But .44mag ammo at a buck a round it would be a little cost prohibitive as a "fun gun" compared to the .38 special ammo I could use with the 1894C . Unless I actually did start reloading which I may need to, I've just never done it so I would have to start from scratch and hope I don't blow up my gun in the process.

Also, as a side note, I'm pretty sure .357 is about as small as I could go as a deer hunting round but I don't really know what the regs are exactly. I think it's 550lbs at 50 yards, which I can get out of it just barely. I was thinking a soft point .357mag at 180gr. should be sufficient under 100 yards without having to worry about putting a shot into the animal and not putting it down first shot.

Hunting deer with this setup isn't necessarily a pre-requisit either though.
    Now that you mention it, I remember now that when I got it, I was thinking "And this gun could conceivably serve as another hunting rifle." It was another reason to get it. Really good for the proverbial "trail gun." I could wear the revolver as a side arm in case of bears (although it would have to be a small one ), and take along the small and light carbine that takes the same kind of ammo.

Yeah, if you reload, you can get the price of .44 rounds down to about 44 cents, but they're still pretty high.

Reloading is easy, by the way. I quit when the movers broke something and never got going again. But it's a piece of cake and you won't blow up your gun.

I personally like the black ones

Shot my brother in laws .357 a few weeks back, that was quite an impressive pistol, i have two pistols, a .50 muzzle loading (Blackpowder) pistol, and a 9x18 Makarov. (9mm)
    I really like Cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
    Really good for the proverbial "trail gun." I could wear the revolver as a side arm in case of bears (although it would have to be a small one ), and take along the small and light carbine that takes the same kind of ammo.
    Yeah man, I'm all about it. I love that old west setup. Can you imagine cruising through the mountains on horse back with these two on ya?

Damn that would be fun. I've got a .45 Birdshead grip Ruger vaquero with the short barrel. It's exactly like this one:

It's a cool gun but I'd trade it in if I got the Marlin to share rounds. I'd stick with the 6 shooter though.

Quote Originally Posted by 12and4 View Post
    I personally like the black ones
    Really? You always struck me as more of the "Hello Kitty" type.

And yes, that's a real AR-15 ha ha.......

Quote Originally Posted by darth-hideous View Post
    Shot my brother in laws .357 a few weeks back, that was quite an impressive pistol, i have two pistols, a .50 muzzle loading (Blackpowder) pistol, and a 9x18 Makarov. (9mm)
    I've never shot a muzzle loader pistol before. Sounds cool. Those Makarov blowback's kick like mules for being between a 380 and 9mm Parabellum. Good pistol though.

I used to want a Vaquero, almost got one. But ultimately decided a single action would really just be a plinker. In a jam, I'd stick with the double actions I already have.

I've got a S&W 629 Classic and a Ruger GP-100.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
    I used to want a Vaquero, almost got one. But ultimately decided a single action would really just be a plinker. In a jam, I'd stick with the double actions I already have.

I've got a S&W 629 Classic and a Ruger GP-100.
    Yeah, I just thought it was cool to have. Not for any real utilitarian purpose. Cocking a hammer back when some wild animal is making a run at you probably isn't your best choice

While I definitely like revolvers, autoloaders are just easier to get the lead down range quickly and accurately in a bad situation. Although a revolver is much more reliable and can pack a bigger punch. Tough decision. When I'm in the woods, I'm usually of the mindset that I don't care what's on my hip, it aint gunna stop a charging bear. Coyotes or a mountain lion yeah, but a bear aint comin down with a pistol without it mauling the crap out of me first.

I do like that 629 though
    Last edited by kishzilla; 02-06-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Really? You always struck me as more of the "Hello Kitty" type.

And yes, that's a real AR-15 ha ha.......

how embarrassing would it be to get shot by that? lol

Seriously people!!!
    SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    how embarrassing would it be to get shot by that? lol
    I'd rather shoot it than get shot by it, but damn, that is a brave soul to be at the range with that thing
    Last edited by kishzilla; 02-06-2011 at 05:04 PM.

YWhen I'm in the woods, I'm usually of the mindset that I don't care what's on my hip, it aint gunna stop a charging bear. Coyotes or a mountain lion yeah, but a bear aint comin down with a pistol without it mauling the crap out of me first.
    Might help them as evidence to identify the bear that murdered you.

My Kel-tec is .40 cal.

I love it.

Hooray, beer!

I'll always carry Springfields. Right now my weapon of choice is a Springfield Armory XD45LE (.45 GAP) with a 4" barrel and a Galco inside the waistband holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier96B View Post
    i also took a crap and it was orange