Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    My Kel-tec is .40 cal.

I love it.
    You've got the SUB2000? I think those are really cool carbines. I like that you can fold them up and put it in a pack or something. Probably makes for easy cleaning too right? Can't really mount any optics to them though because of it. Would be kind of cool to have a red dot on it or something. Have you ever shot any of the Hi-point carbines? I hear a lot of really good things about the 9mm one. They're kinda butt ugly and the super low price point is kinda scary, but damn, that lifetime unconditional warranty sounds pretty nice, and you can't beat the cost. Even cheaper than the Kel-Tec. Have you put the 33 glock mag in it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I'll always carry Springfields. Right now my weapon of choice is a Springfield Armory XD45LE (.45 GAP) with a 4" barrel and a Galco inside the waistband holster.
    Those are nice guns, but damn, they are expensive. I don't think I've ever owned a weapon that cost me more than 3 or 4 hundred bucks. Are you in law enforcement? I could see spending the money if it was something I carried day in day out as part of my work.

Went through the same thing several years back. Wanted to be able to share magazines, but not break the bank either.

Ended up going with the Ruger P89 9mm...

And the PC9 Carbine...

What's typically good about Rugers is that they're decent weapons at decent prices. If you're looking to spend less than $800 for the set then I'd recommend, at least, looking into the Rugers.

I love my setup, but I have to admit that if I did it all over again I'd probably go with .40 cal instead - even though I'd probably be spending a little more for that extra stopping power.

But, sounds like fun... Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by kishzilla View Post
    Those are nice guns, but damn, they are expensive. I don't think I've ever owned a weapon that cost me more than 3 or 4 hundred bucks. Are you in law enforcement? I could see spending the money if it was something I carried day in day out as part of my work.
    Not in law enforcement. I've had that XD since Feb 2006. It's my favorite pistol I've ever owned. I had a Kimber Ultra Carry 1911 but I didn't like it. Tried Glocks, Rugers, Taurus, etc, and none of them are even close to Springfield. The only thing, in my opinion, that I like as much as a Springfield is Sig. Sig makes a damn nice pistol.

I've got a Springfield 1911 as well, polished with cherry grips and some other trinkets, but she stays locked up. I didn't spend $1500 on a pistol to beat it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier96B View Post
    i also took a crap and it was orange

I like to spray n pray so uzi for me

In my experience, everyone is more comfortable w/a different pistol. For me, it was always an H&K .40. I never shot a .45 I really liked. If you have a lot of money laying around, and want to be the baddest dude on the block, get a five seven. Pick one up, and it's like holding a .45, but (obviously) it fires a 5.7MM projectile. VERY little recoil, single action, and a greater magazine capacity. It's basically the pistol version of a P90 sub machine gun. As far as rifles go, throw an M4 at me, and I'm happier than a you know what with a bag of you know whats. Screw the AK.

BTW: WTH is with the pink AR15?

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post

BTW: WTH is with the pink AR15?
    That's 12and4's. He had it powdercoated special just for him

Quote Originally Posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
    I love my setup, but I have to admit that if I did it all over again I'd probably go with .40 cal instead - even though I'd probably be spending a little more for that extra stopping power.

But, sounds like fun... Good luck and keep us posted.
    I like Rugers, and I think they make some of the best cowboy revolvers out there. I agree on the .40 cal. My best friend has your pistol in the .40 and I loved shooting it. Felt great in my hand and I was pretty accurate with it only using it a couple times. Never shot one of their carbines, might have to look into them a little more.

I really like the Hi-Point carbines in 9mm and .40 for a few reasons. Gun-tests can't say enough about them, they have a no questions asked, fully transferable lifetime warranty (If anything ever happens to the gun, ship it to them and they ship it back fully broken down, reconditioned, repaired, put back together again, and a free extra magazine), and I've seen them for $200 fairly regularly. Problem is they use a proprietary single stacked magazine that only holds 10 rounds, which would mean if I want to be able to share mags I'd have to get one of their pistols. I'm not a huge fan of the blowback design in anything bigger than a 9mm pistol because of the excessive recoil, and that's what all of their handguns are ( and partially how they keep the cost down). Their carbines operate the same way too, but you don't notice the recoil in that type of configuration. If I went all Hi-Point I could probably complete the set with a bunch of accessories for under $500, which is great, I just don't know how I feel about the handguns. I'll just have to shoot one I guess.

Oh, and they are both ugly as all hell ha ha ha!

I also thought about the Kel-tec SUB-2000. They're affordable, and share mags with glocks which I like. They also have the added feature of folding up which is kind of neat:

I still just think those lever action Marlins are way cool

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Not in law enforcement. I've had that XD since Feb 2006. It's my favorite pistol I've ever owned.
    Oh, I just thought maybe since you said the XD45LE you may have been since that's the Law Enforcement series.

I've got a .22 semi Ruger Mark 3 that's really fun. I have learned that if I go too cheap with the rounds I get a lot of mis-fires. One of my brother in laws has a Mark 2. Its a blast to hold both pistols anf rapid fire at a target.

The Mark 3 is also a fun varmit gun.

If I buy another pistol it will probably be a .44 magnum, but haven't a clue about which brand. Price will be a major deciding factor. I just want something that will nock down a wolf or a bear when I'm archery hunting. We don't have many grizzlies in southern idaho, but there are black bears and gray wolves. I suppose a .357 would suffice, but I suppose I might just go big.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I've got a .22 semi Ruger Mark 3 that's really fun. I have learned that if I go too cheap with the rounds I get a lot of mis-fires. One of my brother in laws has a Mark 2. Its a blast to hold both pistols anf rapid fire at a target.

The Mark 3 is also a fun varmit gun.

If I buy another pistol it will probably be a .44 magnum, but haven't a clue about which brand. Price will be a major deciding factor. I just want something that will nock down a wolf or a bear when I'm archery hunting. We don't have many grizzlies in southern idaho, but there are black bears and gray wolves. I suppose a .357 would suffice, but I suppose I might just go big.
    I been wanting to fire a few rounds from the S&W 500
    I really like Cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by darth-hideous View Post
    I been wanting to fire a few rounds from the S&W 500
    The .44 magnum in the long barrel configuration kicks like a damn kung fu mule. The S&W 500 is a pleasure to shoot in comparison. But honestly, I wouldn't want to haul one of those around on my hip while out in the woods. Too much weight, and still not a sure bet to put down a bear. I'll be honest, both guns are too much for me to say that I would accurately and consistently be able to be on target. They're more for show IMO. You want a sidearm that you are proficient with and isn't cumbersome, because as I said before, I don't care what kind of pistol you've got, it's not going to put down a 200+ pound black bear in one shot if you even hit it, and if you're in trouble, that's about all the warning you're gunna have anyway, so better to actually hit it, than have some big hand cannon and miss completely.

Anyone that's been on a bear hunt for black bear knows what I'm talking about. I've seen a bear treed and hit 2 or 3 times before it came down, and when it hit the ground, it was still pissed off. And that's just a black bear, let alone a grizz. An adrenalized wild animal as big as a bear is something altogether scary and formidable. Best recommendation is if you are in an area with lots of bear activity, you better have someone with a shotgun or high powered rifle in hand at all times and on the lookout to be really truly safe. A handgun just doesn't cut it, and can give you a false sense of security.

Oh, and I don't know what the regs are in Idaho AW4M, but I know out here if you bow hunt, and you carry a sidearm, if you use it to put down the animal if the arrow didn't, you can get slapped with a pretty hefty fine. DOW will actually cruise by the processing places and look for bullet holes

You are correct, its a big no-no when archery hunting. You just have to stick another arrow in the animal. The pistol would only be for self-defense. BLack Bears around here tend to be afraid of humans, but the gray wolves are becoming an increasing pain in the rear.

I generally only use a bow for elk. The weather is great in September, and its early rut. You'd have to pay me quite a bit to hunt a predator with a bow.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 02-06-2011 at 10:56 PM.

BTW kish, we cut our own animals. I don't trust butchers with my tenderloin.

My wife has been scared of guns all her life, but now she wants one for obvious reasons. What kind of gun would y'all recommend for her to start off with?

EDIT: I'm thinking about giving her my very 1st gun, which is a Sundance .25 Auto. to start off with, and as she gets more comfortable, i'll get her something else.
    Last edited by JayJack; 02-06-2011 at 11:19 PM.