Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Patrick Peterson sub 4.3 second 40?

Patrick Peterson guaranteed that he'd run a sub 4.3 second 40 yard dash at the senior bowl. What does this mean? For people like me, he has the skills, size, and SPEED to play the position of LOCK DOWN CORNER in the NFL. for others? you might stop thinking he can only succeed at safety/ stop thinking number 2 is a reach. but hey, he hasn't ran it yet...

He said he will, but football players are cocky. He will run a high 4.3 or a low 4.4

Quote Originally Posted by THEdraftnik View Post
    He said he will, but football players are cocky. He will run a high 4.3 or a low 4.4
    he ran a 4.4 flat at lsu, while weighing 224.. and that's electronic.

Quote Originally Posted by broncooojohnson View Post
    he ran a 4.4 flat at lsu, while weighing 224.. and that's electronic.
    Cool story bro.

Isn't that what I said?

I'm more worried about his change of direction and quickness of his feet, things that make great corners. Heyward-Bey is 6'2 210 and ran a 4.3 40-yard dash, yet he lacks much more important things for a WR, such as route-running and catching abilities. I believe Peterson has enough game speed, you can see his burst during the kick returns. But to be considered the 2nd overall pick, he must have more than an intriguing height, weight and speed combination.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    I'm more worried about his change of direction and quickness of his feet, things that make great corners. Heyward-Bey is 6'2 210 and ran a 4.3 40-yard dash, yet he lacks much more important things for a WR, such as route-running and catching abilities. I believe Peterson has enough game speed, you can see his burst during the kick returns. But to be considered the 2nd overall pick, he must have more than an intriguing height, weight and speed combination.
    agreed....

Quote Originally Posted by THEdraftnik View Post
    Cool story bro.

Isn't that what I said?
    yes, but he lost thirteen pounds between the season and now while doing speed training and conditioning, so expect to see at least a low 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    isn't winning the Jim Thorpe award enough proof that he has defensive back skills?

yes, but he lost thirteen pounds between the season and now while doing speed training and conditioning, so expect to see at least a low 4.3

isn't winning the Jim Thorpe award enough proof that he has defensive back skills?
    DB or CB? They are different. I think he would make a fantastic safety, not sold on him as a CB in the NFL.

Malcolm jenkins and Eric Berry both won it the past 2 years and both are now safeties. Aaron Ross won it in 2006. How is he doing?
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 02-08-2011 at 07:52 PM.

He's already ran a 4.30 before so I don't doubt it. Heyward bey ran a 4.19 at that size so did jacoby ford but he's smaller

sn't winning the Jim Thorpe award enough proof that he has defensive back skills?
    Defensive back skills. Are you talking about cornerback or FS/SS? Because Malcolm Jenskins won the Jim Thorpe Award in 2008 as another big CB, and the Saints moved him to FS. The Broncos would benefit greatly from having a playmaker at FS, no doubt. But at this point, we are talking about Peterson as a top CB.

I'm not saying Peterson does not have fluid hips and quick feet to play CB in the NFL, I don't have game tape to see that. That's something for our scouts to find out. But I believe a player can make a difference in college thanks to his size and speed, without having the proper fluidity and technique to be a pro CB.

As you can see here, Texas A&M challenged Peterson and completed several passes against him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eknzU4ibB6k
    Last edited by -Rod-; 02-08-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    DB or CB? They are different. I think he would make a fantastic safety, not sold on him as a CB in the NFL.

Malcolm jenkins and Eric Berry both won it the past 2 years and both are now safeties.
    Eric Berry won it as a safety, and Malcolm Jenkins was projected as a better safety. AND he ran a 4.55. 40 yard dash isn't everything, but it certainly does say something when you run that slow, not as a player, but what would've happened when Jenkins was matched up with Desean Jackson? nothing bueno, i'll tell you that

Eric Berry won it as a safety, and Malcolm Jenkins was projected as a better safety. AND he ran a 4.55. 40 yard dash isn't everything, but it certainly does say something when you run that slow, not as a player, but what would've happened when Jenkins was matched up with Desean Jackson? nothing bueno, i'll tell you that
    PP may not do so well either. Not saying he won't but saying it's a given is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by themadfanatic View Post
    He's already ran a 4.30 before so I don't doubt it. Heyward bey ran a 4.19 at that size so did jacoby ford but he's smaller
    Ford ran a 4.28, DHB ran a 4.3....at least if we're talking combine times. The only person to ever have recorded a sub 4.20 at the combine was Deion Sanders in 1989, I believe Bo Jackson was also right around 4.20.

It's splitting hairs though, they're all extremely fast!

I wouldn't put too much stock in the 40 time though, it doesn't signal whether he's a good player (see DHB) I think the combine should be used more for interviewing prospects, making sure they're keeping themselves in shape.

You learn whether a guy can play by watching film and talking to your scouts who watched them in person, if you decide to draft a player based solely on how fast they run the 40 then you deserve the bust you're likely to end up with!

I hope peterson does well and solidifies himself as the broncos #2 pick. I have wanted him for awhile. Even if its at the safety position i think he could greatly improve the broncos CB or FS position.

Peterson or Marcell Dareus are my top two players i want for the broncos. I think fairley is as good as gone to carolina otherwise he would be my other choice that i would also like. I just don't see how carolina would pass on fairley if he does well in workouts.
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Selvin Young said he would rush for 2000 yards in 2008.

Sig by Blondie79