View Poll Results: Would you support the Broncos any less if a lockout costs games?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck no! Theyre the Broncos baby!

63 47.01%
  • No, Id still support them but Id feel jilted by the lockout

48 35.82%
  • YES! I would boycott the league!

9 6.72%
  • Yes, Id still watch the games but wouldnt spend any money on Broncos or NFL merchandise

14 10.45%
Page 47 of 289 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 147 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjayusa View Post
    You have succeeded, you are now the worst Commissioner EVER!
    This dude is nothing but a show, he's a puppet, what good has he done to the game? From the Brady flag football rules, to this failure of negotions, he's done nothing but hurt the industry.
    I will always be with the players in this one. They can't play football as it was supposed to be played, now they can't get their fair share? Don't think so.
    I really don't think he did much wrong in this situation.

But I'd agree on the past.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

This dude is nothing but a show, he's a puppet, what good has he done to the game? From the Brady flag football rules, to this failure of negotions, he's done nothing but hurt the industry.
    I will always be with the players in this one. They can't play football as it was supposed to be played, now they can't get their fair share? Don't think so.
    Sorry not yet. David Stern takes the cake as the WORST Comminssioner in the history of all sports. No question. Goodell can have 2nd place.

The way I see it;

The players are getting payed way too much.
    The rookies are getting payer extremely to much.
    The players apparently can't afford health care, with all their money.

The owners are cheap and love money.

Roger Goodel loves the patriots.

Don't forget about his Roger Godell bots.

They are all part of this.
    Now go get your shine box

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Based on what I understand and observe....

1) D Smith appears to be an emotional dude, and emotion is not what negotiating is all about
    2) The Owners are the risk takers, and say what you want, but players are paid very well, and Owners have made it possible
    3) The Owners made some decent concessions.....in fact some really good ones, whereas as some are saying, it appears that the Union never wavered from it's demand to see the books. As others have said, they were not truly negotiating in good faith either, if they think the Owners weren't.
    4) This deal could have got done......but again, Smith seems to be making it a big deal about lack of trust and so on, and that is no way to get a deal done
    5) I don't really believe open books matter here.......a solid deal does. As Lombardi said, the players have a pretty good thing going now, and they've never ever seen the books
    6) I have a sense that the Union has won a couple of obvious fights, primarily because one judge in Minnesota sees it a ceratin way. I believe it's time to allow another judge to rule this case. REGARDLESS, if you pee off the Owners, expect them to repay you......that is, not pay you. I can almost guarantee that some of those Owners are going to make it their special mission to get back at those who are playing games here. It's sort of biting the hand that feeds you.
    Well this is how I feel too. You just make it sound better.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

truth be told
    I still think Gary Bettman is possibly worse the RG

The part that really blows my mind is if the last offer the league says offered is true the union couldnt be more wrong in not accepting it
    2014 adopt a Bronco #63 Ben Garland

Quote Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
    Right -- you can't expect any capital market to keep that kind of money tied up in an enterprise (hundreds of millions to even a billion dollars), and make an amount of money that one medium-paid player gets.

The capital will retreat from such an investment. The owners have all the risk, all the costs, all the responsibilities for figuring out prices and everything else. Their actions are speaking loudly -- they have said that the status quo is no better than not playing.

People keep saying that both sides are leaving a ton of money on the table by not having football. But the owners really aren't -- if everything is shut down, they have no costs.
    This is untrue. NFL owners are not going to fire every single employee they have, turn off the power to the stadiums and offices, and board up the doors and windows. They will still have quite a few bills that will need to be paid.

I don't want to act as a blabbing fool, let me explain, he has made no difference in this dispute. He gets 10M a year from the owners and that's who he defends, I understand he has tried to protect the owners rights, but he has continually hurt the game of football in the process.
    Goodell should resign immediately, forget about cutting his salary to 1 buck like he promissed. He'll have a job in the Patriots FO, so no problem.
    Last edited by jayjayusa; 03-11-2011 at 08:03 PM.

I don't want to act as a blabbing fool, let me explain, he has made no difference in this dispute. He gets 10M a year from the owners and that's who he defends, I understand he has tried to protect the owners rights, but he has continually hurt the game of football in the process.
    Goodell should resign immediately, forget about cutting his salary to 1 buck.
    I disagree but if so, he should take de Smith with him.

2011 Season

Quote Originally Posted by jcdavey View Post
    i'm rooting for replacements!

come on san diego shopping cart wranglers!
    This from a recent Sporting News article on the decertification:

"I'd say to fans -- I don't think we're going to lose the season," said Gary Roberts, a law professor at Indiana University-Indianapolis and a labor relations expert. "We might lose the preseason, and we might lose a couple of games in the regular season. But I can't believe they won't get a deal done in time for most, if not all, of the 2011 season."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed...#ixzz1GLoBw2TV

I disagree with every word of this post.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_miller View Post
    I would think when the courts take over, the books will be open......seeing as to how the didn't want that, I wouldn't doubt some shady fudging of the books, as it applies to players cuts, may have been taking place and that could be very bad for the owners. JUST SPECULATION but, where did that $4 billon war chest come from.
    First, it isn't nearly as certain as the NFLPA would like to think that all of the financial information will be required in discovery; they would need to prove that the information was somehow relevant to the dispute, and while they might be successful, it's not obvious to me that the individual players filing antitrust suits would be able to make a strong enough showing that they need to see 10 years of past financials. Also, even if the court did decide that the information was all subject to discovery, the NFL would have a decent chance of getting a confidentiality order so that the information could only be disclosed to the parties in the case, which would keep it out of the media and even away from the union (since legally only the names player-plaintiffs would be allowed to see it, and they couldn't share it with other players or union officials).

And all of this assumes that the NFL's argument that decertification was a sham is unsuccessful; knowing only what we've heard through media reports, I think the union's conduct in the past few days (in not making a counteroffer to the last proposal, and in not giving up any real concessions on any of the major issues throughout the mediation) gives the NFL a pretty strong argument that the decertification is not authentic and is merely a negotiating tactic used in bad faith by the players. If the decertification is ruled a sham, then the union is still in effect and none of the other litigation will proceed anyway.

the worst thing to happen to the NFL is De Smith
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

I certainly have my issues with Goodell and would not be sad to see him go, but from what we've heard I have a hard time blaming him for what has happened. the NFL really did seem to be trying everything to reach a mutually satisfactory deal with the NFLPA, and the union didn't seem interested in actually negotiating at all. The union didn't seem to ever give any real ground on any of its major demands, while the owners kept making proposals to bridge the gap.

I assure you that it's impossible to negotiate with somebody who isn't negotiating back. In a good-faith negotiation, each side starts with their ideal (or even somewhat exaggerated) position, and then one party proposes some sort of compromise, the other counteroffers, the first party makes another offer based on that counteroffer, and so on. Each proposal is more reasonable and closer to the middle than the last. If one party makes the first offer and the other party just says "No, we won't take less than our original position", then the first party makes another offer and makes significant concessions, with the second party giving the same response, and the first party makes one more offer with even more concessions, and the second party simply says "No", that's not negotiation. It seems from the media coverage as though the NFL kept making proposals, and the union just kept saying "No".

In the court of public opinion, I've got to believe that the owners have really gained a more favorable standing recently, and the union looks really bad--like they were dead set on decertification to begin with. I see how you might blame DeMaurice Smith for this outcome, but I have a hard time seeing what Goodell and the NFL could have done much differently other than fully caving to all of the union's demands (which is not a feasible solution).