Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch_30_Down View Post
    The second part of my post wasn't referring to you.
    The 3-4 part referred to you because you are a Steelers fan and have a great coordinator that really can blitz effectively in a 3-4 (something which actually is very difficult for most coordinators in this league to do, especially someone like John Fox or Dennis Allen).

This is what I was referring too.
    And I'll be honest, I doubt 90% of this thread who cry about him being a one year wonder heard about him before 3/4 the way into the college football season.
    You had me confused for a minute there bro.....I thought you were on the good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I hope you're not referring to Suh getting flagged for playing two hand touch with Jay Cutler.
    Nah talking about his Hulk Hogan impersonation on Delhomme I believe it was

Patrick Peterson only had one decent year too.

Hooray, beer!

He played pretty well the previous two years also, this was just his best year

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_miller View Post
    Today on ESPN........ they looked at the top DL in the draft and said to beware of Fairley. Since 1995 8 DT have been selected very, very, early in the draft 6 have been bust. Peps on this board often look at Suh as an example.

One year wonder? Suh had 3 highly productive college years and it translated into the NFL Fairley had one, count it, here let me cut 3 fingers off my hand, OK one productive year in college. I have my doubts and wouldn't even draft Fairley in the top 10 now. I know peps have a man crush on him and this is going to be a very unpopular statement but, I pray Carolina takes him so the option is not even there.

Not only that but when the 4-3 fails I don't want there to be the excuse. Oh our 1st pick was a bust that's why the 4-3 failed.

Not only that, the main thing here is, I want our team to be tops of the NFL and actually win Super Bowls and not just sniff the possibility. So, when you chant Fairley just ask your self is it emotion or logic that is driving you.
    I'm with you all the way. I don't like Fairley. Discounting his dirty playing and sense of entitlement would be foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyb View Post
    I'm with you all the way. I don't like Fairley. Discounting his dirty playing and sense of entitlement would be foolish.
    Because when Suh tries to break Jake's neck he's just playing "tough"!
    Sense of entitlement? Where do you people get this stuff on him.

The whole Fairley only had 1 good season is a stupid argument. Sure this was his breakout season but it was both Bowers & Peterson's breakout seasons as well. They all have their bright spots however they all have risks...the Broncos are just lucky they have the chance to get the best player in the draft at their respected position. Whoever it is might be the 2nd best player on the Broncos board but Bowers, Fairley & Peterson are all the best where they play. We are just lucky the TOP prospects projected to go 1 & 2 overall aren't offensive players!
    http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr93/xgcadam/JakesSig1.png

Why does a player have to have three to four successful seasons in college to be a NFL player and not an automatic bust?

Pretty sure Terrell Davis had trouble catching on to playing time in college before he transferred to Georgia, where he was still #2 on the Depth Chart.

My point is that if a player is a player, and they have the skills to be an NFL starter, then so be it. It doesn't really matter if they only had one breakout season or not, now does it?

Their college stats can be a glimmer of what to expect in the NFL, but they are certainly not a end-all guarantee in and of themselves.

Since none of us are NFL scouts or coaches and really do not know specifically what to look for to judge the player's abilities to translate into the NFL, no one on these boards is going to have a truly informed opinion. We can give it our best shot, and try to make our best determinations, but honestly, I am pretty sure the Broncos FO is a lot more qualified to make this pick than anyone here on this board is. So maybe posters here can come off their high horse a little and be willing to see both sides of the argument?

I don't care if we pick Fairly, Peterson, Bowers, or even AJ Green. If he is a great player for us 8 years from now, and the other three aren't even in the NFL anymore, would people still be mad we took him? Let's hope our FO does their homework and makes the right pick for our team and not get so caught up in: "This guy at #2 or else the world is ending" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Touch_30_Down View Post
    Because when Suh tries to break Jake's neck he's just playing "tough"!
    Sense of entitlement? Where do you people get this stuff on him.
    Fairley has a reputation with being a dirty player. Not from one play, but from a series of games. That's pretty much a consensus. By the way, comparing him to Suh isn't even fair. Suh's a beast.

But more than that, he's also known to be inconsistent with his effort on the field. Even his head coach brought that up last season.

When a team is investing heavy coin on a rookie, it's smart to take those factors seriously.

I'm not guaranteeing Fairley will be a bust. Of course nobody knows. Obviously he has great skills. But so did Albert Haynesworth...

I do not know if Fairley is the best pick but I do know we need a pass rush.

Well first we need to be able to stop the run. If we can not do that then nothing else matters. Our run defense was absolutely awful.

Next we need to be able to put heat on the QB, and not just the bad ones but the really good ones. That makes doing everything else in the passing game so much easier. People should look at Alponso Smith as a great example of how a DB can look bad without a pass rush and pretty good with a pass rush.

With Champ probably leaving and Cox in court limbo we also need CBs. We also need a safety who is a playmaker because we have zero atm.

Bottom line, we need everything and it is probably going to take 2-3 years to fix this thing.

We need to take the defensive player we think has the best chance to be a pro bowl level player in John Fox's 4-3 regardless of where he plays....DT, DE, LB, CB or S.

You may think DE is not on that list but Doom has never shown he can be a 3 down player at DE with 3 years of trying and Ayers is the most overated player on the Broncos today. If we think there is a for sure Pro Bowl player at DE we need to grab him.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Caliraiderhater View Post
    The whole Fairley only had 1 good season is a stupid argument. Sure this was his breakout season but it was both Bowers & Peterson's breakout seasons as well. They all have their bright spots however they all have risks...the Broncos are just lucky they have the chance to get the best player in the draft at their respected position. Whoever it is might be the 2nd best player on the Broncos board but Bowers, Fairley & Peterson are all the best where they play. We are just lucky the TOP prospects projected to go 1 & 2 overall aren't offensive players!
    Does this add to the worry, ...not the argument but.... the worry that drafting him will hurt our team?

Originally Posted by marcus_miller : I wonder if there have been players that have juiced way up, with steroids, the year before entering the draft, making them major studs and dramatically increasing their value, then they get paid and that's it, bust.

I am not saying Fairley did that but, I'm wondering if some of these players that are one year wonders, get paid and bust, have done that.

Originally posted by Southtown:Not exactly...but pretty darn close IMO - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Mandarich
    I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition backhand a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorebronco View Post
    Why does a player have to have three to four successful seasons in college to be a NFL player and not an automatic bust?

Pretty sure Terrell Davis had trouble catching on to playing time in college before he transferred to Georgia, where he was still #2 on the Depth Chart.

My point is that if a player is a player, and they have the skills to be an NFL starter, then so be it. It doesn't really matter if they only had one breakout season or not, now does it?

Their college stats can be a glimmer of what to expect in the NFL, but they are certainly not a end-all guarantee in and of themselves.

Since none of us are NFL scouts or coaches and really do not know specifically what to look for to judge the player's abilities to translate into the NFL, no one on these boards is going to have a truly informed opinion. We can give it our best shot, and try to make our best determinations, but honestly, I am pretty sure the Broncos FO is a lot more qualified to make this pick than anyone here on this board is. So maybe posters here can come off their high horse a little and be willing to see both sides of the argument?

I don't care if we pick Fairly, Peterson, Bowers, or even AJ Green. If he is a great player for us 8 years from now, and the other three aren't even in the NFL anymore, would people still be mad we took him? Let's hope our FO does their homework and makes the right pick for our team and not get so caught up in: "This guy at #2 or else the world is ending" posts.

They don't necessarily. But it does help limit the potential risk from an evaluation/investment scenario.

Think about it like the stock market - Choose 1 to invest $30 million in over 5 years:

A) A traded fund that has been traded on the market for 3-4 years w/ history & performance on the books to help hedge your bet a little.

B) A traded fund that has just recently hit the market that has an upward trend but only 6 months of history behind it.

Obviously this is not a direct comparison but I think it helps to look at it this way. There is still major risk involved w/ either of them......it's just one makes you sleep a little better at night knowing that there is more evidence behind your decision.

It's also worth noting that many "drafting formulas" mandate to only take certain positional players in specific rounds if they have 'X' amount of starts in college. I believe that this started w/ Bill Parcells and has continued w/ Bellichick & New England.......of which was brought to Denver by McD & to which it was just revealed by Xanders was going to be continued in Denver even w/o McD.

Quote Originally Posted by THEdraftnik View Post
    Cam Newton,

Cugel, Cam will go top 10. With a top QB, we can trade easier.

Happy yet?
    Top ten? Maybe. But #2 overall? Not unless he just shoots up the draft board like a weed due to off the charts combine workouts, etc.

So if for some reason you're a GM with a serious Jones for Newton and around the #10 pick, what do you do?

Answer: You try and figure out if he'll still be there at #10. If you think not, you identify the LAST team you can trade with and still be sure of getting him.

And that might be #6 or #8 or something, but it damn sure isn't #2 unless Buffalo suddenly hires Matt Millen to be their GM or something!

It's also worth noting that many "drafting formulas" mandate to only take certain positional players in specific rounds if they have 'X' amount of starts in college. I believe that this started w/ Bill Parcells and has continued w/ Bellichick & New England.......of which was brought to Denver by McD & to which it was just revealed by Xanders was going to be continued in Denver even w/o McD.
    I imagine that all teams have some kind of system like this, more or less. You see it reflected in the types of players selected in the top of the first round.

You would think that elite OGs would be a possibility, yet you never see one taken in the top 10. Or centers, and rarely safeties.

So there's not only a performance list, but also a limitation of what positions you should draft depending on where you are drafting.

Baseball has totally gone to this kind of statistical analysis in recent years and I think NFL teams are going more and more to it as well.

Probably ten years from now the kind of AI program that beat all the Jeopardy champions will be doing "pattern analysis" for NFL GMs and helping them select players for the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Top ten? Maybe. But #2 overall? Not unless he just shoots up the draft board like a weed due to off the charts combine workouts, etc.

So if for some reason you're a GM with a serious Jones for Newton and around the #10 pick, what do you do?

Answer: You try and figure out if he'll still be there at #10. If you think not, you identify the LAST team you can trade with and still be sure of getting him.

And that might be #6 or #8 or something, but it damn sure isn't #2 unless Buffalo suddenly hires Matt Millen to be their GM or something!
    Buddy Nix, equally bad as Millen likes Cam. He liked Tebow last year, and he sees an even better prospect in Newton. I doubt he doesn't take him #3 if there.