Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Von Miller

Can Von Miller play strongside linebacker?

The more I read and watch on this guy, the more I want him to be a Bronco (if Fairley is gone).

It seems like he is considered a "tweener" but 6'3 243 lbs is a good size for a SLB. He runs a 4.55 forty and is very strong.

Physically he is ideal for covering tight ends and running backs, and stopping the run.

It's about time we get someone in the front 7 who knows how to make plays and lay people out.

Can he play strongside?

Not IMO I think he's better suited for WLB

Quote Originally Posted by themadfanatic View Post
    Not IMO I think he's better suited for WLB
    hes a good cover LB so ild say thats probably the best position.

Personally i feel he can be an effective SLB but he is also someone who can also play WLB very well in a 4-3. He has good cover skills but i also like the way he rushes the passer, not my 1st or 2nd choice for us to draft but i would not mind seeing him out there at SLB with DJ at WLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
    hes a good cover LB so ild say thats probably the best position.
    He isnt that great in coverage. He is very raw. However yes he is best suited to wlb. He is also bad against the run so i really know if we would want him and ayers playing on the weakside together.

His best asset is he is an elite pure pass rusher.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    He isnt that great in coverage. He is very raw. However yes he is best suited to wlb. He is also bad against the run so i really know if we would want him and ayers playing on the weakside together.

His best asset is he is an elite pure pass rusher.
    many analysts believe he demonstrated the best coverage ability of LB's in the draft when they had him cover in the senior bowl. He wasnt asked to cover often in his school. Hes actually pretty good lower his weight and we might see some skills.

I feel Ayers can do the same he was a 4 star (ranked 3rd best LB prospect overall) LB in high school and a track star. Yet noone agrees with me that he needs to lose weight and stay at LB since the coach needed him to move to DT in college and now thats his "natural" position

Quote Originally Posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
    many analysts believe he demonstrated the best coverage ability of LB's in the draft when they had him cover in the senior bowl. He wasnt asked to cover often in his school. Hes actually pretty good lower his weight and we might see some skills.

I feel Ayers can do the same he was a 4 star (ranked 3rd best LB prospect overall) LB in high school and a track star. Yet noone agrees with me that he needs to lose weight and stay at LB since the coach needed him to move to DT in college and now thats his "natural" position
    I agree with u I'd say he should loose 20-25 lbs and try SLB

I disagree with ayers becoming a linebacker. He didnt look natural at it in a 3-4 and wouldnt in a 4-3. Put him back to dline where he made his name and made an impact at the college level.

Miller did show potential in coverage however had limited duties in college and mainly just covered the flat.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I disagree with ayers becoming a linebacker. He didnt look natural at it in a 3-4 and wouldnt in a 4-3. Put him back to dline where he made his name and made an impact at the college level.

Miller did show potential in coverage however had limited duties in college and mainly just covered the flat.
    He has trouble getting of blocks and doesnt have pass rush moves, he is good stuffer yet he can be that as a LB

To answer the OP - Yes. At least I think he can.

Miller is hands down the most versatile player in the top 10 right now.

In the Senior Bowl game the coaches dropped him into coverage the entire time to see how he would handle it (they knew he was a dominant pass rusher from his performance at practice). He held his own doing something that was not asked of him too much at A&M.

Is it his best asset? I don't think so, but it seems that this kid is pretty coachable.

Miller runs a 4.55 but he doesn't have great acceleration which is why he will struggle covering some of the more athletic TEs in the NFL and our division is probably the strongest division for TEs. Plus he isn't very good against the run.

Personally I think we should try to trade down and take Akeem Ayers if we're going to take a LB. Ayers isn't going to be much better in coverage but he's better against the run and is a lot more versatile.

i'd love von as a SLB, but i would much rather address that at a later point and bring in some one else

I think Von Miller is right in the mold of an Elvis Dumervil type player. One who is best at rushing the passer and who struggles in pass protection and against the run. Thus I think Miller's best potsition, like Dumervil's, is the 3-4 OLB. However, since we are switching back to the 4-3 I think he'd be best served as a DE.

I think Akeem Ayers is the best 4-3 strong side OLB, but he's not worthy of a top 10 pick.

I am not sold that Robert Ayers can play SLB in the 4-3. He really struggles in coverage and doesn't have the speed I prefer for my LBs. If he was able to shed weight and improve his speed I wouldn't be angry if he made the switch (that way we could draft Bowers at #2), however it seems to me that it would be easier for him to keep playing 4-3 DE since that's what he played in college.

Quote Originally Posted by berlownacyo7s View Post
    I think Von Miller is right in the mold of an Elvis Dumervil type player. One who is best at rushing the passer and who struggles in pass protection and against the run. Thus I think Miller's best potsition, like Dumervil's, is the 3-4 OLB. However, since we are switching back to the 4-3 I think he'd be best served as a DE. He is an OLB in both schemes. His play and inability to disengage blocks makes a monster liability at DE. Plus he is like 235 pounds.

I think Akeem Ayers is the best 4-3 strong side OLB, but he's not worthy of a top 10 pick. Yeh i agree. He is a 15-32 pick IMO

I am not sold that Robert Ayers can play SLB in the 4-3. He really struggles in coverage and doesn't have the speed I prefer for my LBs. If he was able to shed weight and improve his speed I wouldn't be angry if he made the switch (that way we could draft Bowers at #2), however it seems to me that it would be easier for him to keep playing 4-3 DE since that's what he played in college.
    And he was good in college at doing it.
    10 characters

Von Miller ...

... is great athlete and a superior pass rusher.

His other football skills are questionable/underdeveloped/potential: run D; coverage skills.

I thought he looked good in the Senior Bowl.

He is the best backer in the draft. This is a weak and thin draft for backers.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus