Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Arguments for every choice at #2

I am not a draft guru, I do not watch ANY college football. So, I am here to spark intriguing arguments for every possible choice (for our Denver Broncos) at #2.

I'd like to hear realistic choices for us, and why we'd pick that player. Also, if anyone has highlights, of the player they choose, that would be fantastic.

I've been hearing everything from Patrick Peterson to Da'Quan Bowers to Von Miller. Who's your pick and why?

Marcel Dareus - big body, stout, good run stopper with enough ability to get after the QB . . . we have absolutely nobody worthy of a starting spot on this roster at the DT position and we need 2 to start the year.

either of the DTs make the most sense, after that its bowers for me, then miller, then peterson if we must stay at two
    -------

Nick Fairley-
    Was the most dominant player in the country this season. Has a mean streak that this line is missing. Is very athletic for his size. Guy has outstanding footwork Warren Sapp said "That's a safety trapped in a 300lb body" Guy has great fluidity, can take sharp angles to get to the ball carrier or QB. Fits our scheme great, with doom being a known pass rusher opposing offenses will shift the protection to compensate. With Fairley this is impossible, because if they do that leaves Fairley with a more than favorable match up to dominate. Quick and explosive. He also has a ton of upside as well. Played with an injured shoulder, and still produced. My favorite quote "Basically how I address it is everybody is entitled to their opinion. I play the game the way it should be played. I hit a light switch when I hit the field and it doesn’t turn off until after I leave"
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Nick Fairley-
    Was the most dominant player in the country this season. Has a mean streak that this line is missing. Is very athletic for his size. Guy has outstanding footwork Warren Sapp said "That's a safety trapped in a 300lb body" Guy has great fluidity, can take sharp angles to get to the ball carrier or QB. Fits our scheme great, with doom being a known pass rusher opposing offenses will shift the protection to compensate. With Fairley this is impossible, because if they do that leaves Fairley with a more than favorable match up to dominate. Quick and explosive. He also has a ton of upside as well. Played with an injured shoulder, and still produced. My favorite quote "Basically how I address it is everybody is entitled to their opinion. I play the game the way it should be played. I hit a light switch when I hit the field and it doesn’t turn off until after I leave"
    agree with this im just assuming that fairley is gone to the panthers
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
    agree with this im just assuming that fairley is gone to the panthers
    They would be better off with Dareus IMO, because their D-line doesn't have a Doom. They don't need a penatrator like we do. Charles Johnson gets to the QB in different way and is good against the run. Dareus IMO has less upside, but fits their system better. Fairley fits ours better.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Von Miller - A player who can do it all. He is a great tackler, is quick and mobile enough to drop into coverage, has very good football knowledge, is a great competitor and very motivated. did i mention he is the best raw pass rusher of the last few years? 17 sacks his junior season, and 10.5 last year, playing the first half of the season injured. Dumervil can play 4-3 end, weve seen that, and its robert ayers natural position. imagine if we had a linebacker with his skills to pair with them? there is a lot of DT depth in this draft, particularly the 2nd round (paea, liuget, austin). We have good corners in champ and goodman, plus cox and thompson behind that. our linebackers have been just as bad as our DL the last few years. Lets get the best player available for the defense, and I think it is Von Miller, with PP a close second.
    I'm Cal-I

Man, you guys present a great case for each player, so far. It's hard to disagree with anyone. But, I think I'd have to agree with turtle18, the most. DL is definitely the deepest position in this draft. Our linebackers *might* be our weakest unit on defense. Man, did Von Miller look good at the combine, or what?

I've seen a mock or two with us taking Robert Quinn. Thoughts on him? I know he sat out for a whole year, and didn't really look too impressive at the combine.

I'd take any of them

Patrick Peterson and its not close.

#1- Patrick is a game changing player. He'll never be Champ Bailey. Put him on Fitzgerald and Fitz could very well have 100 yards and a TD. But, that one iffy pass is a pick. That one bad punt coverage play is a TD. On a team who was bottom of the league in turnover, he could be huge.

#2- He's the least risky play. Theres only been one other DB in modern football history who was picked #2. He's a damn good athlete, and was a preseason Heisman contender. He contributed all 4 years of college and his mentor is Charles Woodson. Please, DON'T WHIFF WITH THE #2 PICK.

#3- DT, LB, and S can be addressed in the second and third rounds. Say we go-
    Peterson
    Paea
    Deandre McDaniel
    Kelvin Sheppard

No need is undressed, besides possibly TE or OLB, and I believe Woody can hold his own. The choice is clear, to me anyways.

If we don't want to waste our pick, then get Dareus.

I don't know how anybody would be happy with letting a receiver get 100 yards and a touchdown, even if he does get the INT. That's what Deltha was, and do you want to pick Deltha at 2?

As a side note, why do you think this team is so bad? Is it the lack of pass coverage, or the lack of pass rush?

PP also dosnt help with the leagues worst run defense.

Quote Originally Posted by THEdraftnik View Post

I don't know how anybody would be happy with letting a receiver get 100 yards and a touchdown, even if he does get the INT. That's what Deltha was, and do you want to pick Deltha at 2?

As a side note, why do you think this team is so bad? Is it the lack of pass coverage, or the lack of pass rush?

2000-2008 Lack of proper scheming and or Continuity at DC

2009 no problem maybe lack of 1 quality DE (at the time)(MCD interference of some unknown kind on D)

2010 lack of health compounded by lack of proper scheming. + lack of continuity at DC + lack of talented DEPTH at ILB/LB/CB/S/DE/NT/DT see health
    Last edited by marcus_miller; 03-01-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition backhand a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by THEdraftnik View Post

Do you really think Denver would put PP on Fits when they have Bailey?

Look at #3. Paea and Sheppard will help with the run. One player isn't going to do it, especially when he gives 50% on over half the plays.

I saw we go after Bowers. Perfect body size and the man was a complete beast last year. Ayers is more of a run stopper then a pass rusher. Everyone has bee saying all year how he doesnt get to the Qb but is very good at stopping the run. So we need to get that DE that can rush the Qb on the other side of Doom.
    I would only want bowers though if we can get Paea with our 1st second rounder and then go after Martez Wilson with our 2nd second rounder.

I wouldnt be upset if we go Von Miller. We havent had a dominate lb in denver since al wilson left. Dj williams is good but isnt the type of skilled/ leader we need. Von miller ( like someone mentioned) can do it all. Pass rush/ run from side to side/ drop into coverage. he is a complete beast.

And this team is bad because of lack of turnovers and 3rd down efficiency.

Honestly, our defense was so bad that there really isn't a wrong answer at #2. We have a ton of needs on that side of the ball. I could see us grabbing another pass rusher, a tackle, a linebacker, or a corner. None of them would really upset me. I just hope we don't reach, which I don't think we really need to worry about with Fox and Xanders.

I don't think PP covers our most pressing of needs, because I can see Bailey and Goodman holding up just fine, with Doom and another pass rusher on the line. However, I do think he's going to be a beast, and, like I said before, I think he'll make us regret not taking him.

However, having a defensive line like the Giants makes me salivate. I would love to have two ends like Umenyiora and Tuck.

Having the #2 pick is really like being a kid in a candy shop. So much to choose from. It's too bad we can't cover every defensive position with one pick.