Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
    You're right. The last three games Denver would've beaten OAK with better QB play, beat HOU, and played solid against a very underrated SD team. They competed against 6-0 vs AFC West Oakland Raiders, beat Houston, and competed to the end with a very good San Diego. Things were and still are looking up, because the D is making plays and the O is doing well on third down.
    Okay, the QB play had nothing to do with the loss to Oakland, that was all on the defense...remember the first play of the game end around where we never got within 5 yards of touching the player. Or Bruton getting faked out of his jock on a 70+ yard pass to a fullback?

And the San Diego Chargers are anything but underrated! They are probably the most overrated franchise of the last 5 years! They get love for everything even though they have won nothing!

With that being said I believe picking Patrick Peterson would be a mistake, he does not upgrade the run defense and he does not instill a sense of toughness. Yes I know you have mocked us getting other players in rounds 2+ but there's no guarantee that any of those players will be there, in fact the buzz around Paea is growing and it seems very likely that he won't make it out of the first round.

Don't mess around with finesse players like Peterson, build from the line out, pick a nasty DT (either Dareus or Fairly will be fine), then maybe a safety...but build the heart of this defense first ie DT, MLB, S...a nasty middle of the field!

There is a lot of work to do. It wont all happen in one year. You don't pass on a once in 10 yr player like PP. A lot of the peps screaming for DL will be screaming it again next year if we don't have health and or attack the backfield. We could go all DL and if we rush 2, 3, 4 rushers against 5, 6, 7, 8 blockers we get nothing out of all those picks.

Bottom line it wont all be done this year. We take PP, because you don't pass up a force like him. Then we address MLB and DT. Next year we address the needs that we can and have as a finite mix of BPA and need. This year and next year we have need every where. Thats why you grab PP the best player in the whole draft, according to me and just about every expert out there.

Two years at a minimal it will take. DL are in the top ten of the draft every year. A CB in the top 5, damn near never. The time is now!

The 4-3 waits for mistakes you better have good DB to force them. The 4-3 doesn't attack. I have been screaming scheme(3-4) right up untill it was annouced we would be 4-3. Now I scream player and BPA considering all the work we have and the time it will take
    Last edited by marcus_miller; 03-01-2011 at 08:09 PM.
    I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition backhand a fool!

Do you really think Denver would put PP on Fits when they have Bailey?

Look at #3. Paea and Sheppard will help with the run. One player isn't going to do it, especially when he gives 50% on over half the plays.
    Think Paea will last to the 2nd round? He had a very good combine and more and more people are jumping on the bandwagon.

Of course....fan bandwagon and scout evaluations are different, but....

At this point, I don't even know if I care anymore. It's starting to make my head hurt.

There are a lot of good points that can be made about each player here. We have so many needs on D that I don't really care what position we start with. No player is guaranteed to be successful so we should trade down in the 5-10 range. This way we get more picks and are pretty much still guaranteed to get the best player at a position of need i.e. Fairley/Dareus, Miller, PP, Bowers/Quinn

Personally, I would go with Miller or PP simply because the draft is so deep with DT's. However, my opinion on the matter seems to change by the week.

Patrick Peterson and its not close.

#1- Patrick is a game changing player. He'll never be Champ Bailey. Put him on Fitzgerald and Fitz could very well have 100 yards and a TD. But, that one iffy pass is a pick. That one bad punt coverage play is a TD. On a team who was bottom of the league in turnover, he could be huge.

#2- He's the least risky play. Theres only been one other DB in modern football history who was picked #2. He's a damn good athlete, and was a preseason Heisman contender. He contributed all 4 years of college and his mentor is Charles Woodson. Please, DON'T WHIFF WITH THE #2 PICK.

#3- DT, LB, and S can be addressed in the second and third rounds. Say we go-
    Peterson
    Paea
    Deandre McDaniel
    Kelvin Sheppard

No need is undressed, besides possibly TE or OLB, and I believe Woody can hold his own. The choice is clear, to me anyways.
    Wow this completely makes the arguement to not take Peterson for me.

No DB is worth that pick.

Give me a big stout run stopper all day over a DB who might get one pick and let 6 points get behind him.

I would want Von Miller (not necessarily at #2, but he would be a desireable player) if we were still in the 3-4. But his pass-rushing skill, which is the only elite talent he possesses, will be lost in a 4-3. He's not an amazing tackler, he's not amazing in coverage, not a great run stuffer. He's good at all 3. But the reason he's so hyped is because of his pass rushing skills, which won't be utilized heavily in the 4-3, making him just a GOOD linebacker, not worthy of a #2 selection. He's not Ray Lewis, he won't fit as a MLB on our team. His position in a 4-3 would actually be Will linebacker, the same spot DJ plays. So that would be a wasted pick IMO.

I want either Fairley or Dareus, whoever Fox sees as the best guy with the most potential. But we can't ingore the freaking d-line anymore.

I wouldn't be furious if we took Peterson, he's probably the most talented player in the whole draft class. But if we took him we'd have to take Paea or Austin in round 2 for sure. I'd hope we played him at safety, I think he could be elite at the safety position for the next 10 years.

Dareus or Fairley.

Fairley gives us a penetrating UT, whereas Dareus gives us a sturdy NT for our 4-3 set.

If we don't like either and trade down, we're looking at guys like JJ Watt and Cameron Jordan who can play all across the line and are exceptional D-line players.

St. Louis Rams GM

I cant help yet feel ever player is overrated at this position ild rather find a way to trade back even if its not all that fare and get away from the top 5.

I feel Cameron Jordan as a DT will help Doom a lot he has the skills to get leverage and can handle double teams I know he might be a project as a DT yet if Ayers does not have a good year we can move him to strongside, yet I feel he best serves the team opening holes and forcing others to block him
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 03-02-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_miller View Post
    2000-2008 Lack of proper scheming and or Continuity at DC

2009 no problem maybe lack of 1 quality DE (at the time)(MCD interference of some unknown kind on D)

2010 lack of health compounded by lack of proper scheming. + lack of continuity at DC + lack of talented DEPTH at ILB/LB/CB/S/DE/NT/DT see health
    Great quote. Its McD's fault somehow. There is no evidence of that at all and you have no idea but its his fault

This article is actually what sparked me to open this thread. I just wanted to hear opinions from all Bronco fans, though.

I'd say, right now, that the consensus (amongst this board) is somewhat of a tie between Fairley, Dareus, Peterson, and Bowers. I assume that Fairley and Dareus would fill our most glaring of needs. Bowers would be a great addition, with Doom, to our pass rush. And, Peterson, while still filling a lesser need, would be taken because he's (possibly) the best player in the draft. The Peterson pick could be great, if we could still grab someone like Paea, in the 2nd.

Bottom line is; we need defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JaysusCutler View Post
    Great quote. Its McD's fault somehow. There is no evidence of that at all and you have no idea but its his fault
    You tell me why Nolan and MCD "mutually split ways" with out making $#!* up.

I see the logic that it wasn't the %100 the lack of talent, probably wasn't even 50% lack of talent, got you flustered so you countered my thoughts on why Nolan left as the only option.

People totally ignore Health of Dawk, Goody, Dumm, Ayers. Lack of Continuity at DC and crapy scheming 2000-2008 and then during injury in 2010

They also ingnore that in 2010 we had the same players ( -Davis) as we did in 2009, when the D rocked.
    Last edited by marcus_miller; 03-02-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition backhand a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_miller View Post
    You tell me why Nolan and MCD "mutually split ways" with out making $#!* up.

I see the logic that it wasn't the %100 the lack of talent, probably wasn't even 50% lack of talent, got you flustered so you countered my thoughts on why Nolan left as the only option.

People totally ignore Health of Dawk, Goody, Dumm, Ayers. Lack of Continuity at DC and crapy scheming 2000-2008 and then during injury in 2010

They also ingnore that in 2010 we had the same players ( -Davis) as we did in 2009, when the D rocked.
    What are you talking about and what's with the colors? I just thought the "some unknown interference from McDaniels" thing was funny.

Can we not have disputes in here, please?

I am aware the title of my thread has the word "arguments" in it. However, I was hoping for intelligent conversation on our first round prospects.

I understand everyone has a differing of opinion, when it comes to what will make our team better. But, we all must realize that our defense has been horrible the past couple of years (aside from the first 6 games of '09). Any position, on defense, will be of help to us.

I simply would like to know more about the young men we will be looking to draft at #2 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by JaysusCutler View Post
    What are you talking about and what's with the colors? I just thought the "some unknown interference from McDaniels" thing was funny.
    I like the colors they make my thoughts pop off the page and stand out above others. see my sig

Back to the issue and off of me, please.

I was talking about (in total context) how there are many aspects to our problems and how most of the problems come from a coaching aspect, as far as scheming goes and as compared to talent. IT IS A MIX NO DOUBT. However, when answering the OP or a few post up by the same person's question as to ....what is wrong with our D....... I point my finger at coaching changes, schemes and health at damn near every position last year, NOT lack of talent. see 2009 roster then see 2010 roster, including coaches.
    Last edited by marcus_miller; 03-02-2011 at 12:20 PM.