Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Von Miller versus Marcel Dareus

Assuming we don't trade back, when Denver is on the clock, which would you prefer we take?

Pros and Cons:
    Dareus provides that powerful DT in the middle to help stop the run, and stopping the run was a major problem for our defense last year. He's also supposed to be strong enough and quick enough to get penetration, help collapse the pocket and get to the QB.

Versus

Miller, who is considered the best pass rusher in this year's draft. I keep thinking of Miller at Strongside outside linebacker, lining up on the opposite side of the field from Doom. With Ayers at DE, helping to stop the run and taking on a tackle, rushing both Miller and Doom at the QB in passing situations strikes me as a way to help force turnovers and get good field position for our guys. (Almost like Indianapolis being able to rush both Freeney and Mathis simultaneously.)

What do you think?
    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!

This trend should have been started in the trades and draft section.

If I had to grade Miller as a 3-4 OLB he would be a 9, as a 4-3 LB a 7...this is a scheme issue more than talent issue. Even in a 3-3-5, I do not like Miller and Doom both being one dimensional lacking coverage skills ...so who sits? Miller may become effective in coverage, but I am not drafting a guy at 2 I need to heavily coach up.

I think Dareus will be best at UT personally. I think he can penetrate very effectively if given the chance. His ability to anchor will only make our interior against the run much more effective. At UT, NT, or DE in odd man fronts, Dareus will be effective. Being that diverse makes it so much easier to scheme opponents.

I like Miller, but I think we need to build inside out.

We're not in the 3-4 anymore. The Sam 'backer has different responsibilities, and rushing the passer is not typically one of those responsibilities.

Bottom line is, Von Miller is the best pass rusher in this draft. If we drafted Von Miller, lined him up at SLB, I'd cry. I really would. Because his job would be to either jam, cover the TE, or eat up the TE's block while keeping leverage depending on the call offensively and defensively. The SLB in the 4-3 is a dirty, dirty job. You normally don't hear about anybody's SLB in a 4-3, because if they do their job, everyone else gets the glory.

So, we would have drafted the best pass rusher in the draft to basically eat up blocks. And that's why I would cry.

Neither, but if I had to choose it would be Miller, he is a better 4-3 prospect than Dareus. In the 4-3 Dareus plays like a late first high second prospect. Miller in the 4-3 is still a mid to high first.

My answer is a rethorical question. Whats our biggest need on defense, a dt or a rushing the Qb type player...?

I say a dt hand down. I'd be really pissed if we took Miller instead of either Daerus, Peterson, Fairley.

With Oakland and Kansas City being run oriented teams I think the Broncos would be crazy not to take the top DT on the board.

As others have mentioned Miller is a 1st round grade as a 3-4 OLB. Picking him with your scheme change would be a disservice to both of you in my opinion.

Can't wait to see how you retool your D on draft day. (especially the D line)

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
    With Oakland and Kansas City being run oriented teams I think the Broncos would be crazy not to take the top DT on the board.

As others have mentioned Miller is a 1st round grade as a 3-4 OLB. Picking him with your scheme change would be a disservice to both of you in my opinion.

Can't wait to see how you retool your D on draft day. (especially the D line)
    I believe the Broncos are interested in Von Miller because the ghosts of Brian Orakpo and Clay Matthews still haunt the team. But in the 4-3, Miller won't be able to rush the passer as much as we would like to. True. Fox likes to put pressure with the front four. And when you bring the blitz, Miller would often be the 5th man. Though you can put Dumervil, Ayers and Miller on the DL for passing situations. Just pray it's really not a run.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

If we draft Von Miller, let's nickname him The Count. Count Von Miller! Sounds scary and wait till he starts dropping other players...

Start the Countdown for the draft of The Count!

Oh nightmares about Orakpo vs Ayers

I don't see how Dareus isn't the choice. Does he just make TOO much sense? The run blocking was horrible last year....please....send....help.

I do think Miller is a beast though. If he fit the new scheme, I'd be all for it.
    Decimating the competition, leaving in the wake a blind ambition.

elecshoc
    You will be for ever known as the truth see-er

I say neither. I dont like dareus, he seems like he will be steady but nothing more. One of those guys that look good and has all the tools but it doesnt play out on the feild.
    I like Nick Fairly, when i did watch his games, he always stood out. always making plays. In my opinion thats who i would take, but i do agree that d-line is a good place to start
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marcell Dareus............

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    I believe the Broncos are interested in Von Miller because the ghosts of Brian Orakpo and Clay Matthews still haunt the team. But in the 4-3, Miller won't be able to rush the passer as much as we would like to. True. Fox likes to put pressure with the front four. And when you bring the blitz, Miller would often be the 5th man. Though you can put Dumervil, Ayers and Miller on the DL for passing situations. Just pray it's really not a run.
    Let's not forget that Julian Peterson had multiple 10+ sack seasons as a 4-3 OLB while in Seattle.

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Take The Count and let Fox create his own Charles Johnson and get another DT in the second.

Yeah honestly if we pick either Marcel or the Count, it's a win win in my book. I mean both play defense and are beasts so it wouldnt bother me one way or the other.

Now on the other hand, will the boards erupt if we dont take either?