Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    It's hard to predict who would the No1 pick next year, what's not hard to predict is Andrew Luck being one of the best, if not the best, QB prospects in any draft. Comparisons to Jake Locker should end with conference and where the projections would have been had they declared a year earlier. Because where Luck would be a lock to go to Carolina, Locker simply would not have been drafted No1 in 2010 for the same reasons he won't be this year.

Luck is a fantastic talent, plain and simple, and he'll miss Harbaugh, no doubt about it. But Luck has so much more going for him than just physical ability. He has more in common with Sam Bradford's situation than Jake Locker's.

Luck is an idiot for returning to school, imo, but it's a decision that would more likely cost him because of injury, team needs or rookie wage scale than falling on his face against Nebraska.......

I hope the Panthers pass on Newton, but only because I bet a dude $20 that Newton wouldn't be the #1 pick about a month ago.

With that in mind, I do not want them to take Dareus either, because I REALLY want Marcell Dareus. I would probably be willing to pay the $20 if they leave Dareus alone!

Okay, the Panthers are a terrible team. Lot's of problems. Lots of weaknesses. They draft a quarterback in the second round last year and this guy starts ten games. And so, this rookie quarterback is being called a bust after starting ten games for a bad team?

If I'm the Panthers, I pick Dareus, start Clausen, and if Clausen truly is a bust, the Panthers are terrible again and they can draft Luck next year.

New coaches equal new QB. Rivera does not want his job security to depend on Jimmy Clausen turning into a franchise QB.

New coaches get 3 years to turn things around (unless they're completely horrible and screw absolutely everything up like McDaniels).

That doesn't give him time to wait a year to take a QB in 2012, then the guy is starting his first full season in 2013 -- by which time Rivera has to have things turned around or else risk being FIRED!

SO, he has to get his "franchise QB" NOW. He can't wait. And so he drafts Newton, starts Clausen and hopes one of them will turn out to be great. IF Newton is everything they hope then they can trade Clausen (or cut him if he continues to suck).

Just like San Diego did when they had Drew Brees but still drafted Phillip Rivers.

I don't see them taking Dareus. He'd help but the rule in the NFL is "Unless you're sure you have your franchise QB you don't pass up a chance to get him."

That's why Elway and Xanders spent so much time looking at QBs. They aren't sure of Tebow yet and wanted to consider getting a QB. But, none of them are really better prospects than Tebow at this point. Cam Newton IS a better prospect than Jimmy Clausen.

Signs point QB Newton to Panthers
    Jeff Legwold
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 04/23/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

The draft is a passion for NFL reporter Jeff Legwold, who evaluates several hundred players each year during the months leading up to the annual selections. Legwold offers his insights here daily, with additional entries at denverpost.com.

Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said publicly as this week drew to a close that the team had made no decision about who it would take with the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft.

So, that means nobody else can say for sure which player the Panthers will pick. That includes the Broncos, who sit at No. 2.

Hurney, a former sportswriter before football became his vocational life, holds the first domino in the draft.

But with less than a week to go before the first pick is announced in New York, most of the signs still point to Cam Newton for the Panthers.

Newton may not be the No. 1 player on many teams' boards, but the Panthers are in desperate need of a franchise player. They also finished the 2010 season with an offense that was last in the NFL in several categories scoring, yards per game, yards per play, first downs per game and passing yards per game.

It's why they've had so many people spend so much time with Newton in recent weeks.

Because even if Newton is not the No. 1 player on board, the Panthers have to make sure he is their No. 1 before they make it official.

Quote Originally Posted by thominator View Post
    Okay, the Panthers are a terrible team. Lot's of problems. Lots of weaknesses. They draft a quarterback in the second round last year and this guy starts ten games. And so, this rookie quarterback is being called a bust after starting ten games for a bad team?

If I'm the Panthers, I pick Dareus, start Clausen, and if Clausen truly is a bust, the Panthers are terrible again and they can draft Luck next year.
    Wrong. Just flat wrong.

They can't wait and hope because Rivera is on the clock. He has a limited amount of time to turn things around. He can't wait a year. THEN decide to draft a rookie. THEN the rookie is starting his first season in 2013.

That could be too late to save Rivera's job. He needs to get his guy in now and train him up to be ready by 2013 when he has to show results.

Plus there's no guarantee they would be in position to draft Luck next year anyway (assuming Luck is the consensus #1 QB he is now). What if they win 4 games next season but someone else wins 3?

Then they might not be in position to draft a QB (who knows who will be any good in that draft class)?

It's all much too risky!

I think Panthers take Dareus or Peterson. They have a solid defense why not make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Wrong. Just flat wrong.

They can't wait and hope because Rivera is on the clock. He has a limited amount of time to turn things around. He can't wait a year. THEN decide to draft a rookie. THEN the rookie is starting his first season in 2013.

That could be too late to save Rivera's job. He needs to get his guy in now and train him up to be ready by 2013 when he has to show results.
    We will know soon enough

i hope they dont take darues because thats how i want the broncos to draft but also if they do take him and pass on a QB then the broncos #2 pick will just increase in value for teams wanting a QB
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    We will know soon enough
    True. But if they pass on Newton that means their GM has convinced Rivera to risk his career on Clausen. Because that's what happens to coaches who DON'T get a franchise QB.

They get fired.

A perfect example is Brian Billick. He had a championship with the NFL greatest 2000 Ravens defense. But, he made the fatal mistake of thinking that Kyle Boller was a franchise QB. Despite having Ray Lewis and that great defense for years, he stuck with Boller and it cost him his job!

Here's the Latest!

From Rotoworld:
    Although he admits "anything's possible," Panthers beat writer Joseph Person still expects the team to take Cam Newton No. 1 overall.

Former high-ranking Panthers executive Tony Softli predicted on Friday they would pass on Newton and grab Marcell Dareus, but so far at least, he's a lone wolf in that regard. Unless HC Ron Rivera has convinced himself that Jimmy Clausen isn't as bad as he's made out to be, Newton is almost certain to be the pick in Carolina. Apr 23, 11:48 AM

True. But if they pass on Newton that means their GM has convinced Rivera to risk his career on Clausen. Because that's what happens to coaches who DON'T get a franchise QB.

They get fired.

A perfect example is Brian Billick. He had a championship with the NFL greatest 2000 Ravens defense. But, he made the fatal mistake of thinking that Kyle Boller was a franchise QB. Despite having Ray Lewis and that great defense for years, he stuck with Boller and it cost him his job!
    you could also argue that many coaches have been fired because they overvalued a QB that ended up not being worth their pick.

Also i dont think rivera is expected to turn the team around in one year expecially with all the CBA issues.

I mean it is likely the panthers could draft dareus and still be the worst team in the league and then draft luck next year.
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Yeah, but he picked Boller. You could just as easily make a cautionary tale about being sure before you pick a first round QB, because "you bought it, you own it." If you pick one, he'd better pan out. If you don't pick one, you might be able to go a couple of years, and say "Yeah, this quarterback you've got for me sucks. Need to pick a QB and then give me three more years."

Billick has commented openly before on the danger of missing on a 1st round QB. He has all but said it cost him his job.

Even if Newton isn't the pick, they could just as easily go AJ Green, who is on top of lots of analysts boards and they have a desperate need for a number one receiver to replace Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by kylejoe1 View Post
    Anyone hoping for this scenario?
    They wouldn't just let luck fall to #2 they would male somebody trade for it

I hope Dareus goes #1 and i think it will happen.It would be wise to start of drafting safe with Dareus than taking a chance with Cam Newton.Rivera was a DC and should notice he has to get another big presense on the line since Peppers left.This will open the door for us to trade the #2 pick.