View Poll Results: Which Would You Rather Have:

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great Pass Rush

    119 85.00%
  • Lockdown Secondary

    21 15.00%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    18,759

    What's more important? A great pass rush VS a great secondary?

    Simple question which could potentiate a great discussion.

    Think about all aspect about this question, and relate it to what Denver REALLY needs (and what they have been lacking on a consistent basis) for the upcoming draft.

    Which you would rather have and why?

    Would you rather have a great and consistent pass rush with a mediocre secondary?

    Or would you rather have a great and 'shut down' type secondary wit ha mediocre pass rush?

    I'll take the former.

    Looking at it more generally, which is worse: having no pass rush or having poor pass coverage? If you have no pass rush it doesn't matter how good your pass coverage is because no secondary can keep coverage up long enough if the QB has all day. Conversely, a pass rush can cover up a lot of flaws in the secondary. Sure, you will still give up some plays, but you can also make enough plays with your rushers to mitigate that.

    It's time to build up the defensive line, to the days where the 97/98 Broncos had enough quality rushers to CONSISTENTLY make the opposing quarterback feel uncomfortable.

    How many times have we watched sub-par quarterbacks compile huge games with multiple TD passes and 100+ QB ratings against our lowly defense?

    This is no bash to the All-God Champ Bailey. But let's be real, there is only so MUCH a defensive player can do to cover a wideout. He's already at a disadvantage because the offensive player KNOWS where he's going.

    It's time for Denver to play complete football on defense, and it starts with the trenches. Once the trenches are stabilized, the rest of the defense will follow suit.

    It's not rocket science. A quarterback under constant pressure is GOING to make mistakes compared to a quarterback with 10+ seconds in the pocket.

    The past 5 Super Bowl winning teams all had STRONG pass rushes to create havoc for the rest of the defense to feed off of:

    Green Bay Packers
    New Orleans Saints
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    New York Giants
    Indianapolis Colts


    I'll bet a good penny you can name more quality pass rushers on those teams than quality shut down players.

    Here's to hoping a the defensive line is addressed early and appropriately in the next coming weeks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    4,507
    I'd rather be able to stop the run and have a good secondary than a pass rush. In 2009 we had one of the best pass rush defenses with Dumervil being the sack leader & Dawkins being a probowl safety. But once again we had a hard time stoping the run. And we got blown out by the Chiefs at home 44-21 I believe if I remember right.

    Run, stop the run, and play conservative pass game=SB appearance. Ask the 2005 Chicago Bears.

    "Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,002
    If theres anything we've learned from the great Champ Bailey...it's that a great pass rush is definitely more important...look what Champ did with one in 05 and 06

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,831
    They both go hand in hand. You cant go with one and without the other.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,571
    Packers have a hell of a secondary... Just sayin'

    But yes, pass rush.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,002
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    They both go hand in hand. You cant go with one and without the other.
    Tell that to the Giants...they won with a tremendous pass rush and a garbage secondary, garbage

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,618
    They go hand in hand.

    A lot of people are going to say pass rush, and understandably, but you can't get a rush on every play. When you're the Giants, have Kiwunaka, Strahan, Osi, its possible. But for that 1/4 plays the QB has all the time in the world, you need coverage, or else you'll get roasted.

    If you're a turnover causing happy team, you need better secondary than rush. Rush can be generated by simply blitzing extra guys, you can make the QB make a bad play, CB picks it off, game changer. But if you're CBs suck, its likely your guys will get burned and your blitz will do no good.

    It's all about how you call plays and mentality.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    4,507
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
    Tell that to the Giants...they won with a tremendous pass rush and a garbage secondary, garbage
    If you don't have at least decent DT's/Safeties to stop the run you are getting nowhere. Of course they won a SB against the Pats where they only run the ball like what 20% of the time?

    In our division even if we had a decent pass rush it wouldn't matter because our defensive line is so bad. So for Denver I would say a lockdown secondary would be great considering we already have Dumervil, Champ, and Ayers.

    "Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    34,502
    Pass rush easily, look at the Steelers secondary..

    Ike Taylor, Williams Gay, and Bryant McFadden at CB.

    Polamalu and Ryan Clark at safety.

    Aside from Troy, not a great secondary, yet they have arguably the best Front 7 in the league.

    As we've seen watching Champ, doesn't matter unless you have a good Front 7.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mile High via CT
    Posts
    4,510
    Both and packers definately have both

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    8,058
    Pass rush, for all the reasons previously given.


    And pass rush is more a differentiator because great pass rushers are statistically rarer -- they must be taller, bigger, and still pretty fast.

    And for that reason, left tackle has become the most rare, prized, and differentiating position of all. Because it negates the top pass rusher (hopefully).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Evergreen Colorado
    Posts
    3,669
    I believe you can make your secondary better with a strong psaa rush but you cant make your pass rush better with a lockdown secondary
    Coke Bottle Glasses and QB Killa' Fan Club! #24

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,121
    Ask the Ravens which is more important

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    589
    I picked secondary, but I picked it because if we were seriously lacking on the secondary right now AND the pass rush (doom) then I would 100 percent want secondary first. If we can't stop the pass (it's a passers league) than were much more screwed than if we can't stop the run. At least thats the way I'm looking at it currently.

    (I reserve the right to change my opinion at anytime (:...)
    DENVER STAND UP!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Simple question which could potentiate a great discussion.

    Think about all aspect about this question, and relate it to what Denver REALLY needs (and what they have been lacking on a consistent basis) for the upcoming draft.

    Which you would rather have and why?

    Would you rather have a great and consistent pass rush with a mediocre secondary?

    Or would you rather have a great and 'shut down' type secondary wit ha mediocre pass rush?

    I'll take the former.

    Looking at it more generally, which is worse: having no pass rush or having poor pass coverage? If you have no pass rush it doesn't matter how good your pass coverage is because no secondary can keep coverage up long enough if the QB has all day. Conversely, a pass rush can cover up a lot of flaws in the secondary. Sure, you will still give up some plays, but you can also make enough plays with your rushers to mitigate that.

    It's time to build up the defensive line, to the days where the 97/98 Broncos had enough quality rushers to CONSISTENTLY make the opposing quarterback feel uncomfortable.

    How many times have we watched sub-par quarterbacks compile huge games with multiple TD passes and 100+ QB ratings against our lowly defense?

    This is no bash to the All-God Champ Bailey. But let's be real, there is only so MUCH a defensive player can do to cover a wideout. He's already at a disadvantage because the offensive player KNOWS where he's going.

    It's time for Denver to play complete football on defense, and it starts with the trenches. Once the trenches are stabilized, the rest of the defense will follow suit.

    It's not rocket science. A quarterback under constant pressure is GOING to make mistakes compared to a quarterback with 10+ seconds in the pocket.

    The past 5 Super Bowl winning teams all had STRONG pass rushes to create havoc for the rest of the defense to feed off of:

    Green Bay Packers
    New Orleans Saints
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    New York Giants
    Indianapolis Colts


    I'll bet a good penny you can name more quality pass rushers on those teams than quality shut down players.

    Here's to hoping a the defensive line is addressed early and appropriately in the next coming weeks.
    Am totally with you on this one. Having a good pass rush is THE number one key to a having a good defense. Everything else on defense is....secondary...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •