View Poll Results: Who do YOU want @ #2!!

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marcell Dareus

65 37.79%
  • Von Miller

53 30.81%
  • Patrick Peterson

39 22.67%
  • Nick Fairley

11 6.40%
  • Cam Newton

4 2.33%
Page 1 of 244 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 NFL Draft

John Fox Draft Beakdown

Don't know if this has been done yet but I was looking the other day so I thought I would post...

Panthers under Fox…74 draft picks in his tenure there. Offense and defense are almost plit down the middle but when you break down positionally I think some numbers stick out…
    Defense 34 45.95%
    DT 3 4.05%
    DB 15 20.27%
    LB 10 13.51%
    DE 6 8.11%

Offense 40 54.05%
    QB 4 5.41%
    RB 8 10.81%
    T 6 8.11%
    G 6 8.11%
    WR 8 10.81%
    C 2 2.70%
    TE 6 8.11%

But how much control did he have, with Hurney as the GM.

There is even talk about how the Owner is not sold on Cam Newton, so how much pressure does Jerry Richardson put on their draft team?

Now you come to our team, where Xanders is suppose to have more GM control, yet Elway is also a "final say" type of guy.

Just not sure if these stats really mean anything when trying to apply them to the new face of the Broncos....

Adopted by JakeNbake

Sig by Freyaka

Great example of what I have been saying for a month. It is just that much easier to find an Elite DT then it is to find an Elite DB. If we pass on PP we may have serious and unfixable problems next year this time and farther down the road.
    I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition backhand a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_miller View Post
    Great example of what I have been saying for a month. It is just that much easier to find an Elite DT then it is to find an Elite DB. If we pass on PP we may have serious and unfixable problems next year this time and farther down the road.
    I would say there are far more "elite" CBs than DTs. Furthermore, a great DT can make a good DL/secondary, while a good corner primarily affects one player. For proof see the Broncos with Champ Bailey/ Dre Bly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaboyer View Post
    I would say there are far more "elite" CBs than DTs. Furthermore, a great DT can make a good DL/secondary, while a good corner primarily affects one player. For proof see the Broncos with Champ Bailey/ Dre Bly.
    Every year, there's at least 1 DT that goes top 10.

There's not a CB that could go as early as #1 more than every 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaboyer View Post
    The Bailey/ Bly example is not really a good one as there were way to many variables that affected the effectiveness of that tandem, and that's not even counting the fact that Bly sucked. We came off an excellent defensive year and Shanny, the omnipotent genius that he is, fired Coyer, we lost Al Wilson, heart and soul of the defense. We tragically lost D-Will, the youth and charisma of that defense. Then we hired a hack of a DC, Jim Bates, and everything has been in chaos with the front 7 since. And even with all that being said, Champ still held his own and continued to put up solid PD#'s while Bly stunk it up at every turn. The evidence of that was when we dropped him and acquired Goody.
    This past season our front 7 was epically horrible, amazingly worse than the Bates season where guys were running around shrugging their shoulders in confusion. Goody played solid opposite Champ and had one really bad game (San Fran) in which he was playing injured. So there is reason to believe that 1 great and 1 good corners can work behind a suspect DL, but 1 great and 1 average will not. Now if we take PP and he can play at the level that D-Will was or better, we will quickly climb the defensive rank charts because I have faith that Fox will get the front 7 in shape regardless.
    #swapping

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    The Bailey/ Bly example is not really a good one as there were way to many variables that affected the effectiveness of that tandem, and that's not even counting the fact that Bly sucked. We came off an excellent defensive year and Shanny, the omnipotent genius that he is, fired Coyer, we lost Al Wilson, heart and soul of the defense. We tragically lost D-Will, the youth and charisma of that defense. Then we hired a hack of a DC, Jim Bates, and everything has been in chaos with the front 7 since. And even with all that being said, Champ still held his own and continued to put up solid PD#'s while Bly stunk it up at every turn. The evidence of that was when we dropped him and acquired Goody.
    This past season our front 7 was epically horrible, amazingly worse than the Bates season where guys were running around shrugging their shoulders in confusion. Goody played solid opposite Champ and had one really bad game (San Fran) in which he was playing injured. So there is reason to believe that 1 great and 1 good corners can work behind a suspect DL, but 1 great and 1 average will not. Now if we take PP and he can play at the level that D-Will was or better, we will quickly climb the defensive rank charts because I have faith that Fox will get the front 7 in shape regardless.
    I agree with that last statement, no matter who is playing on that front 4, they won't be as bad as people think.

Last year, they were slated to have one of the worst pass rushes in the league. Charles Johnson comes along, no one has ever heard of him, and he puts up double digit sacks, out of nowhere.

You don't need hyped and respected players to have successful players.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
    I agree with that last statement, no matter who is playing on that front 4, they won't be as bad as people think.

Last year, they were slated to have one of the worst pass rushes in the league. Charles Johnson comes along, no one has ever heard of him, and he puts up double digit sacks, out of nowhere.

You don't need hyped and respected players to have successful players.
    Right! Foxy knows how to scheme create pressure. You could give him Kenny, Kyle, Cartman, and Stan and I guarantee all 4 of them will have some sacks, hits, and hurries and one will be the division leader in sacks.
    #swapping

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Right! Foxy knows how to scheme create pressure. You could give him Kenny, Kyle, Cartman, and Stan and I guarantee all 4 of them will have some sacks, hits, and hurries and one will be the division leader in sacks.
    you made my day hahahahahahaha
    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

John Elway Draft Breadown

0% Defense

0% Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    0% Defense

0% Offense
    Can you explain this post!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    Can you explain this post!
    Meaning we have no idea what can of strategy Elway is going to imploy. Especially since we didn't have a FA to give us an idea how the will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Meaning we have no idea what can of strategy Elway is going to imploy. Especially since we didn't have a FA to give us an idea how the will go.
    I agree! I will be really watching this draft to see what direction we are going.Im not a big fan of how we have been drafting in the past years.Hopefully,Elway changes our bad history of drafting to a positive this season.
    Last edited by BroncoSexyDaddy; 04-18-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanNC View Post
    But how much control did he have, with Hurney as the GM.

There is even talk about how the Owner is not sold on Cam Newton, so how much pressure does Jerry Richardson put on their draft team?

Now you come to our team, where Xanders is suppose to have more GM control, yet Elway is also a "final say" type of guy.

Just not sure if these stats really mean anything when trying to apply them to the new face of the Broncos....
    Your right, and like I said, I found the information interesting. Although I didnt say it was meaningful I think your still able to make some sort of educated guess about the tendency of Fox and his war room cohorts, whom ever they may be.
    I would like to believe that Elway will forego some of the draft control to Fox, this being his first rodeo and all.
    I've had the feeling for some time now that the #2 pick will definitely be defensive (no brainer, right) and will either be Peterson or one of the DT's (Bowers, Dareus or Fairley). I dont think Peterson makes the type of impact that you would like to see out of the #2 overall and so if I had to guess I think they go with the "safer" (and possible better overall) of the three DT's in Dareus.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
    Charles Johnson comes along, no one has ever heard of him, and he puts up double digit sacks, out of nowhere.
    Dont exactly agree with this statement. Johnson was very highly regarded coming out of Georgia but slipped into the third round.