Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

FO considered moving up for Fairley

May have been posted, but:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...ng-for-fairley

By Bill Williamson
    The Denver Post has an interesting nugget. It is reporting that the Denver Broncos considered trading up into the first 12 picks of the draft to select a falling Nick Fairley. The Auburn defensive tackle went to Detroit at No. 13. He was one of the players Denver considered at No. 2 prior to taking Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller.

A Miller-Fairley tandem would have been a spectacular first-round haul. Ultimately, though, Denver felt that the price to go grab Fairley was too steep. The Denver Post said Denver felt it would have had to give up the No. 36, No. 46 and No. 67 picks to move to get Fairley. The price tag could have been even steeper.

Instead, the Broncos -- who have many needs -- opted to keep their picks and grab several players. Instead of taking Fairley, the Broncos traded down from No. 36 to get back into the fourth and fifth round. They got five draft picks instead of Fairley.

Denver took UCLA safety Rahim Moore, Miami right tackle Orlando Franklin and NC State middle linebacker Nate Irving on Friday. All are projected as starters. Denver wanted four starters from this draft and they got it.

Getting Fairley would have been exciting, but that type of move would have been best suited for a team on the brink of the playoffs. Denver is starting to rebuild. So, the bigger draft class could be a better long-term move.
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Interesting, but i think the price would've been too steep as well
    Made by Houshmazode

I wouldve given up 2012 1st rd pick, #46, and 2011 3rd rd pick

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
    I wouldve given up 2012 1st rd pick, #46, and 2011 3rd rd pick
    No way would I give up next years number one for a guy with this many concerns.

We could have a high round one pick and there will be some studs there. Really strong looking MLB class at the moment.

With Andrew Luck coming to the NFL next year, do you think Elway would have given the 2012 1st round pick? No waaaaaay!
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    No way would I give up next years number one for a guy with this many concerns.

We could have a high round one pick and there will be some studs there. Really strong looking MLB class at the moment.
    Good thing we wont be needing a MLB with Nate Irving on our team

Quote Originally Posted by BF_forever View Post
    Good thing we wont be needing a MLB with Nate Irving on our team
    Liking me some Nate Irving at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by PermianBronco View Post
    Liking me some Nate Irving at this point!
    I hope we can see some of those wrestling move like tackles that he is well known for

RTBs Draft Recap + Grade(A follow-up to my pre-draft thread)

1st: Von Miller | LB | Texas A&M - THUMBS UP

Dennis Allen comes from a D that thrived off of the blitz and creating turnovers. That's what Miller does, blitzes, and creates turnovers. Also, Fox stated that he won't be a full-time LB. On obvious passing downs, he'll come down and put his hand in the dirt, taking Ayers' place. So essentially, then we're looking at Dumervil and Miller off the edge. He'll make a serious impact this year. I love him. And that pretty much says it all. Can't wait to see this guy in a Bronco uniform. Couldn't be more ecstatic to build the future of our D, and possibly team around him.

2nd: Rahim Moore | S | UCLA - THUMBS UP

Can't go wrong with arguably the best safety in the draft. Might have been a little reach, and obviously I don't like ignoring DT here, but I love Moore's demeanor and what he's expected to bring to this team. An absolute ballhawk, an emotional leader, and a sure-fire starter in our secondary.

2nd: Orlando Franklin | OL | Miami(Fl.) - MIDDLE

Overall, I like going offensive line here, but I believe there were better options available. I do hope that Franklin can kick out and play RT, but it will be a lot of responsibility on him in his rookie year to start at RT, especially if Tebow starts, as it will be Tebows blindside. He's an absolute mauler, and has a nasty meanstreak though. Gotta love that, as well as his mammoth size.

3rd: Nate Irving | LB | N.C. State - THUMBS UP

THE PREDATOR is a guy who I've been high on for awhile now. Looked him up after reading about his nearly fatal car accident, looked at highlights, fell in love. In a Bronco defense, I had him as the #2 ILB that I want, behind Greg Jones. Seeing as Jones fell to the 6th round, I must say that I was wrong in my assessment, and obviously the rest of the league agrees. Irving is the freaking man. Reminds me so much of ex-Bronco All-Pro Al Wilson. I wouldn't bet against him being a 100 tackle a year linebacker.

4th: Quinton Carter | S | Oklahoma - THUMBS UP

I must say that I was upset at first with this pick, because coming into day 3, I was so set on a RB or a DT. But I thought about it, and getting the 2 best safeties in the draft certainly isn't a bad thing. We could very well have our safety duo of the future with him and Moore. And if you break it down, you can argue that Carter is all-around a better prospect than Moore is. Either way we got #1 and #2 in terms of safeties this year. Carter brings the sexy hits, Moore makes the sexy turnovers. Gotta love the potential there. Excellent value with this pick, as well.
    Last edited by ReleaseTheBeast7; 04-30-2011 at 08:00 PM.

4th: Julius Thomas | TE | Portland St. - THUMBS DOWN

I like his potential, but trading up for him, and then having a guy like DJ Williams fall to #141(Where we previously were)? Sheesh, I'd rather have Williams, but again, I do like Thomas' potential. Hopefully he pans out and can make an impact. But I can't expect anything this year, especially early on. A lot of raw talent here, but nothing more. Not worth a 4th, in my opinion, especially trading up for him.

6th: Mike Mohamed | LB | California - MIDDLE

He'll be a solid special teamer, and possibly a role player in our D in time. I like this pick, but again, passed up on DT and RB. Grrrr.

7th: Virgil Green | TE | Nevada - THUMBS UP

I like this kid more than Julius Thomas. More polished, but fell because of medical concerns. If he checks out and stays healthy, I see a poor mans Vernon Davis in this kid. Same size as Vernon, similar combine numbers(Athletic FREAK). Only difference is the speed, but Virgil is still a burner(4.6 40). I really like the talent, value, and awesomeness of this pick. Virgil FTW.

7th: Jeremy Beal | DE/LB | Oklahoma - THUMBS UP

I like this pick. Love his production. Doesn't have the athleticism that you look for, nor the workout numbers, but he's a purely versatile, all-out effort football player. He could sneak on to our roster as a special teamer, potentially developing into more. I think Fox sees him as a DE. We'll see.

All in all, I have to approve of this draft. No real reaches, except for maybe Thomas. If I had to give it a grade, I'd say B+. Would be A-/A had we addressed the interior of our front 4, and given Knowshon a guy to compliment him.

I guess that's what free agency is for. Whenever that is. Bleh.

But again, excellent job by Elway, Fox, and Xanders on their first go-around.
    Last edited by ReleaseTheBeast7; 04-30-2011 at 08:00 PM.

I would have done that trade in a heartbeat, but then, I'm convinced Fairley is a rare talent that will have a Suh like impact.

Moore has potential, but I'm not overly impressed with finesse safeties that shy away from contact. He also only had one good year in college and it wasn't last year.

Franklin is fine and all, but we have no idea if he can even play RT. He said himself he's more of an OG, which is why I stopped mocking him as an OT.

Irving might be good. Just because Parcells liked him doesn't mean anything to me. Parcells took Bobby Carpenter in the 1st Round too. And he was terrible. Irving has the injury history from the crash, was removed from some draft boards because of that.

I would trade Rahim Moore, Orlando Franklin, and Nate Irving for Nick Fairley every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    I would have done that trade in a heartbeat, but then, I'm convinced Fairley is a rare talent that will have a Suh like impact.

Moore has potential, but I'm not overly impressed with finesse safeties that shy away from contact. He also only had one good year in college and it wasn't last year.

Franklin is fine and all, but we have no idea if he can even play RT. He said himself he's more of an OG, which is why I stopped mocking him as an OT.

Irving might be good. Just because Parcells liked him doesn't mean anything to me. Parcells took Bobby Carpenter in the 1st Round too. And he was terrible. Irving has the injury history from the crash, was removed from some draft boards because of that.

I would trade Rahim Moore, Orlando Franklin, and Nate Irving for Nick Fairley every time.
    Would you give up our first in 2012, i wouldn't given we could pick Top 10-15.

If it would of just costed our 2 2nds, and 3rd, maybe but we needed depth at a lot of spots.

The one observation I have for Thomas, which makes me feel good about this pick, is during the combine, on the drill where they run sideline to sideline catching passes front & back constantly...

He looked just like Julio Jones with his hands - I was a little shocked to see it.

At first I dismissed it thinking all WR / TE can do this - but the more I watched others, the more was impressed. GREAT HANDS!

(Need to spread CP - good post!)
    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

yea, comparing williams and thomas in the pass catching drills, thomas had the better hands, hands down! (baddum tist) thomas used his basketball background to keep himself in an athletic position and used those soft hands to catch the ball cleanly. he's got good speed and great hops (obviously) plus he's 6'5 compared to Williams, who is 6'2

I agree for the most part except i think you really undersold Thomas.

He looks very natural in running routes and catching the ball and I think he can develop into a big time TE in this league.

I also graded out this draft as a B+ and I also would have gone higher had we taken a DT.