Page 148 of 168 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 146 147 148 149 150 158 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 2518

Thread: Game of Thrones

Gendry and Arya sitting in a tree.......

Initial thoughts:
    - I like this episode better than last season's first episode. Wish we had 10 episodes. I expect at least 2 full episodes of battles (haven't read spoilers)
    - wasn't really a fan of Varys' line about nothing lasting forever. I get there is a lot of foreshadowing but it doesn't need to be all the time. Unless they throw us a curve and it did last forever not a big annoyance though.
    - Looks like House Umber and House Glover are there to show us how scary the Night King can be.
    - I didn't like Sam's reaction to Daenerys. His brother wasn't all that bad but his dad was a monster. But i guess Daenerys's turn will go as fast as Jorah's cure from greyscale.
    - Cersei has herself an army. It'd be nice if they broke the 4th wall and just explained there was no room in the cgi budget for elephants
    - pretty stoked to see how Daenerys will react to the Kingslayer. Really looking forward to next week.

The end with Jamie and Bran was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    The end with Jamie and Bran was awesome.

It certainly was. Jaimie is such a great character on the show. I'm sure you all agree that during the last what 7 seasons we've all hated, despised, loathed...... but somehow also pulled for, respected, cheered on, and hoped for better things for the guy.

I hope we get a sincere apology directly to Bran. If it does happen I'm sure Bran will be like - don't worry about it - it doesn't matter -lol. It's all fate to him

....... but the other starks - might do him in. Hard to see Arya just let him breath while in Winterfel no matter the circumstances.

I think the dragon's know that jon and kalisi are related and is why they were looking at them thinking - wth are you 2 doing?

Really hope now that Jon knows his lineage, he doesn't try to keep it secret all season. This needs to be known by all so we can see how they all react. I bet there be lots of non-believers. Is there proof for the masses? I know the annulment is one half of the truth but what about the other half? Only Bran knows for sure unless I missed something

I expect the northern mass of armies will lose just enough to match Cercei's numbers. The golden company only brought how many? I don't recall exactly but it was a lot less than Dragon Momma.

So much to digest. I hope the writers get this one last short season right
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    It certainly was. Jaimie is such a great character on the show. I'm sure you all agree that during the last what 7 seasons we've all hated, despised, loathed...... but somehow also pulled for, respected, cheered on, and hoped for better things for the guy.

I hope we get a sincere apology directly to Bran. If it does happen I'm sure Bran will be like - don't worry about it - it doesn't matter -lol. It's all fate to him

....... but the other starks - might do him in. Hard to see Arya just let him breath while in Winterfel no matter the circumstances.

I think the dragon's know that jon and kalisi are related and is why they were looking at them thinking - wth are you 2 doing?

Really hope now that Jon knows his lineage, he doesn't try to keep it secret all season. This needs to be known by all so we can see how they all react. I bet there be lots of non-believers. Is there proof for the masses? I know the annulment is one half of the truth but what about the other half? Only Bran knows for sure unless I missed something

I expect the northern mass of armies will lose just enough to match Cercei's numbers. The golden company only brought how many? I don't recall exactly but it was a lot less than Dragon Momma.

Yeah I loathed his smug stupid face in the beginning and then he saved brienne from the bear and he did something noble for once in his life.

Oh you know hes gonna keep that a secret. I mean everyone pretty much assumes hes banging Dany so how would everyone react to the news that their king in the north banged his aunt and is half targaryen who everyone seem to hate. He either will keep it a secret or when hes about to reveal his true lineage the WW descend upon winterfell

I think the golden company commander said 20,000.

Red 98

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    - Looks like House Umber and House Glover are there to show us how scary the Night King can be.
    The Glovers retreated to their holdfast, Deepwood Motte on the West coast --far away from the AotD. Umbers at the Last Hearth are the only ones to get carved up so far.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Exactly. He's a detached, transcendant being now and from that perspective what Jaime did set him on the path of becoming the 3ER. It was his destiny. It will be the same reaction to Theon.

It certainly is a complicated situation for him. He killed Dany's father so she hates him too (even though Tyrion tried explaining to her why this had to be done back in Season 6) and there was an agreement made (to which Jon and Dany consented) with Cersei that Jaime would lead the Lannister armies North, so he should have some diplomatic immunity as an ally. Even though the army didn't follow, he kept his word, and he has a Valyrian Steel sword, so I think they'll soon realize that they'd rather have him help in the approaching battle.

That Drogon stare was funny! Aegon the Conquerors married his sisters and they all rode dragons so I'm sure it doesn't bother them too much, unless this is just jealous pet!

Jon may tell Dany next episode but I don't think it comes out til #4. The 3ER has been pushing for this revelations since season 6 so it must be part of the greater plan and Bran will continue to speak of it even if Jon keeps quiet. Sansa and Arya have proof already of Bran's accuracy so they'll believe him. The northern lords will believe Sansa, and we may see the older version of Meera's dad -remember this guy?

Howland Reed is a respected Northern lord and Stark bannerman who was there. He can vouch for Jon's true identity and claim, if needs be. If Winterfell falls they may need to retreat south to his stronghold Greywater Watch, or meet him with some of his warriors at Moat Cailin in between.

20,000 men. After the wights and WW's get done with Dany's forces, Cersei may have the advantage -that's her great hope.
    Last edited by L.M.; 04-15-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Isn't Howland Reed a goner though? At the temple of joy didn't he save Ned just before he died

Although as I think about it not sure the math works out since Jon Snow always appeared to be older than Jojen so ....... how could have have happened unless Howland did survive that fight
    Red 98

what do you think Arya's 'wish' was? You know - the weapon she drew up for Gendry to try to build....

Looks like some kind of retractable handle to a weapon maybe. Do you think Bran told her this weapon might be needed against the Night King? Maybe it's designed to stab the night king in the chest so it deposits a piece of dragon glass inside the victim yet can't be retracted
    Red 98

So by my count there's about to be 5 Valyrian Steel weapons in play? Arya, Brienne, Jaime, Jon, and Jorah as soon as Samwell gives him his father's.

Isn't Howland Reed a goner though? At the temple of joy didn't he save Ned just before he died

Although as I think about it not sure the math works out since Jon Snow always appeared to be older than Jojen so ....... how could have have happened unless Howland did survive that fight
    Howland's wound in that battle wasn't fatal. And yeah Jojen is younger and Howland was mentioned in present tense at least twice by Bran, Jojen, or Meera before the Tower of Joy flashbacks. The 3ER made a point of identifying him instead of just saying 'there's your dad and some of his bannermen', so I think that's significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    So by my count there's about to be 5 Valyrian Steel weapons in play? Arya, Brienne, Jaime, Jon, and Jorah as soon as Samwell gives him his father's.
    Ahh I was wondering whose sword he was looking at in the trailer! Okay that makes better sense! Initially, I had thought it might be Jaime's if they jail him and confiscate Widow's Wail (which really needs a new name).

After rewatching it, I'll rate SE08E01 "Winterfell" at a 6/10 which is the lower end of "good". It was a decent start to the season on par with the other first episodes in previous seasons. It set things up and gave us some long-anticipated reunions.

I loved the new intro!
    I loved the parallels and callbacks to the series pilot.
    I loved the Arya-Jon reunion.
    I loved the scene at the Last Hearth which was like a horror movie.
    I loved John Bradley's acting when Sam heard about his brother, and the scene in the crypt with Jon which was the perfect place for the revelation-- Lyanna's Stark's statue in the background.
    And I loved the ending when Jaime rode in and locked stares with Bran!

I'm sad that Tyrion has become a fool, with a string of bad advice, bad plans and failure stretching all the way back to mishandling the slavers in Mereen, and now all he's got are bad eunuch jokes which are getting old.

I did not like any of the scenes with Euron or Cersei. They were mostly pointless and could have been condensed into one very short scene that informs her that the Wall is breached and that the Golden Company has arrived without elephants, period.

Theon's rescue of Yara seemed too easy, and her plan to retake the Iron Islands is kind of foolish and hopeless. Euron has the greater force so how exactly does she plan to hold the Iron Islands with just three ships when he returns!?

Qyburn hiring Bronn at Cersei's behest is also completely absurd. She lit into Jaime for trusting him and not punishing him last season, now she's fronting him gold to go kill his friends!?? Did she just get massively stupid or what? But I loved Qyburn's line to Bronn "“Poor girl. The pox will take her within a year.” Bronn nervously: "WHICH ONE!?"

The dragon ride seemed underwhelming considering that a new Targaryen, Aegon VI, is mounting another dragon, but I understand that Jon needs to start learning how to ride Rhaegal now if he's gonna ride him into battle later, so some flight training is now established. I think it could have been done better though.

I'm not buying the Jon-Dany romance. I haven't seen any genuine chemistry there, not like Jon-Ygritte. Of course there was real chemistry between those actors, Kit and Rose, who got married later, but Kit and Emilia admitted that their scenes felt awkward because of their close, platonic friendship. I think that's bleeding through a little. The silly dialogue at the waterfall didn't help.

Before they took off, Dany said "If your sister doesn't respect me..." I wanted to hear the rest of that sentence. In the scene with Sansa, she asked Jon “Did you bend the knee to save the North, or because you love her?”, then the camera cut away before we got a response of any kind. I didn't like these things.

I'm also weary of Sansa (really since Season 6), and her spiel about supply logistics was ridiculous considering that the Wall is down and the AotD is on its way! Jon is endlessly trying to convince her and the northern lords about the gravity of the threat upon them and they just can't seem to get it. He was doing the same thing back at Castle Black with half the Night's Watch who just couldn't realize this to get past their old enmity with the Wildlings. It's frustrating for Jon, and the viewers. I can't wait for the Dead to arrive and kick their butts so that Sansa plus any surviving lords will at last freaking understand! I suppose these petty dislikes and political prejudices are there just so we have some tension and drama amongst the defenders.

And where's Ghost? He should have been by Jon at the Godswood when Arya arrived. -1 for no Ghost!

The score was good, the shots are artistic, the acting decent (with the script they were given, anyway), and it had a very high production value overall. It was entertaining and that's its purpose so it succeeded and I can't wait to see the next one!

Last edited by L.M.; 04-16-2019 at 12:28 PM.