• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samparnell
    Soy Capitan Meshpoint
    • Nov 2007

Writing ...

... novels, poetry and short stories is in the field of art. Those in the arts need to make a living and if they can do it from their art, a market is needed.

The rich used to be the patrons of the arts. They still are in some media, but the masses through corporations are the new patrons.

George R.R. Martin has some kind of agreement with his publisher. Writers of his proven marketability often miss deadlines partly because publishers understand that you can't just command a writer to write like the Pope commanded Michelangelo Buanarroti to paint the ceiling (and the back wall later).

What will be will be. Quality is preferable to quantity. Tolkien considered The Silmarillion to be more important than the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but many fans found it disappointing. Being upset with Martin is like going to a concert and incessantly screaming a song request to the band on stage.

Who knows? Maybe living in Santa Fe has made him a procrastinator.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Hoserman117
      Pwnin' Nubz
      • Dec 2006

I finished the first season last night and HOMAGAWD it's awesome. Definitely gonna start reading the books.

Also, in regards to dying before finishing... that actually happened with the Wheel of Time series that I used to read. Robert Jordan died before writing the 12th book and he left thousands of pages of notes and half written chapters and pages and was continued on by another writer and many people feel the first one he wrote (the 12th book) was incredibly good, so it's not for sure the end of the world if he doesn't make it to the end of the series.

Comment

• Mount-n-Groan
        Epithetically Challenged
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
        I finished the first season last night and HOMAGAWD it's awesome. Definitely gonna start reading the books.

Also, in regards to dying before finishing... that actually happened with the Wheel of Time series that I used to read. Robert Jordan died before writing the 12th book and he left thousands of pages of notes and half written chapters and pages and was continued on by another writer and many people feel the first one he wrote (the 12th book) was incredibly good, so it's not for sure the end of the world if he doesn't make it to the end of the series.
        Glad to hear you enjoyed the series. HBO did a fantastic job with it, but as I've said before, the books are even better (naturally). I think you'll love them. I'm neck deep in the 5th book right now (just released today ) and the quality of the writing and it's enthralling nature are still very strong.

I don't know what will happen if Martin dies before he's finished. He's rather prickly with such things; not allowing fan fiction spin-offs, etc. There are a chosen few that are privy to the details of the future of the story, but none are accomplished writers. I think I remember him saying that if he dies the story dies with him. I've heard that Brandon Sanderson did a great job of picking up where Jordan left off in WoT, but I'm not sure if something similar could happen with this series. Martin isn't an outline-driven / organized type of writer a la Tolkien and other fantasy greats. He believes the story is in the telling, and while he knows the story's final destination, he himself doesn't know the exact route that will lead there. That could be problematic for anyone that sets off to finish the tale (if the need arises and/or is even possible as per Martin's wishes.)

But for now, feel lucky in that you have about 5000 pages of quality stuff waiting for you (Game of Thrones included). Hopefully, we all get a couple thousand more pages beyond that and see the end result of this thing.

Now, back to Dance...
        Winter is Coming!

Comment

• tnedator
          All-Pro
          • Oct 2004

I loved the first season. My wife started reading the first book about mid-way through the first season, and just recently had a chance to start reading the second book.

I'm torn, part of me wants to read the books, but part of me doesn't want the TV version ruined/spoiled by reading the books.

What should I do?
          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

• samparnell
            Soy Capitan Meshpoint
            • Nov 2007

Read

Originally posted by tnedator View Post
            I loved the first season. My wife started reading the first book about mid-way through the first season, and just recently had a chance to start reading the second book.

I'm torn, part of me wants to read the books, but part of me doesn't want the TV version ruined/spoiled by reading the books.

What should I do?
            The book is always better. Don't underestimate your imagination.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• tnedator
              All-Pro
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              The book is always better. Don't underestimate your imagination.
              I know the book is 'almost' always better. It's just now that I've started watching the series, I can't decide if I am better being surprised as the story unfolds on HBO, or read the books, and then simply enjoy the adaptation on HBO, even though I will know what's coming.

This is coming from someone that never watches previews for upcoming episodes at the end of TV shows, because I like to enjoy the drama as it unfolds, rather than being 'teased' enough to keep watching. For that reason, I can't stand the camera shot/flashforwards they have done on NCIS the last couple seasons.
              The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

• Mount-n-Groan
                Epithetically Challenged
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by tnedator View Post
                I know the book is 'almost' always better. It's just now that I've started watching the series, I can't decide if I am better being surprised as the story unfolds on HBO, or read the books, and then simply enjoy the adaptation on HBO, even though I will know what's coming.

This is coming from someone that never watches previews for upcoming episodes at the end of TV shows, because I like to enjoy the drama as it unfolds, rather than being 'teased' enough to keep watching. For that reason, I can't stand the camera shot/flashforwards they have done on NCIS the last couple seasons.
                That's a tough call, tned. I've read the series 4 times and I still thoroughly enjoyed the HBO series. The vast majority of the "readers" really did enjoy it, and from what I can tell, no less than those that were first getting the story through HBO's adaptation.

Knowing the story ahead of time can be an issue for some people, but for me I think it intensified some of the scenes on TV. There were times while reading for the first time that I had to calmly set the book down and take several minutes to catch my breath before I interacted with anyone or read anymore. Others simply threw the book against the wall and couldn't touch it for weeks. It really is THAT intense at times. But, there were times while watching the show that it was all I could do to keep myself from breaking down and crying like a baby. HBO knows how to make good television, that's for sure

But, it's unknown how long HBO will continue with this. At some point, I think, you'll have to read the books - either because you can't wait until next season to see what happens, or because HBO will simply stop making them.

The written word is so exquisitely done though. It's hard to not come right out and say READ THE BOOKS. I pick up new stuff with every re-read, and with the new book, I'm trying to read every sentence carefully because I know that each and every word has much more meaning than you could possibly imagine. Even though HBO has done a fantastic job so far they've really had to trim it back. There's much and more in the book(s), so much that HBO could only barely touch on some of these things - important things, exciting things, game changing Super Bowl legend-type of things.

In the end, I think the volume of riches that you get from reading the books will outweigh the element of surprise that you will get from only watching the show. Remember, that the element of surprise will be there for you while reading too, and while it won't be as visual and quick, it will be much more intense (in that you fully understand the story) and far from being less satifying (or painful).

^^^^

I don't know if you can tell or not, but I could go on and on and on about this stuff...

Winter is Coming!

Comment

• tnedator
                  All-Pro
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                  That's a tough call, tned. I've read the series 4 times and I still thoroughly enjoyed the HBO series. The vast majority of the "readers" really did enjoy it, and from what I can tell, no less than those that were first getting the story through HBO's adaptation.

Knowing the story ahead of time can be an issue for some people, but for me I think it intensified some of the scenes on TV. There were times while reading for the first time that I had to calmly set the book down and take several minutes to catch my breath before I interacted with anyone or read anymore. Others simply threw the book against the wall and couldn't touch it for weeks. It really is THAT intense at times. But, there were times while watching the show that it was all I could do to keep myself from breaking down and crying like a baby. HBO knows how to make good television, that's for sure

But, it's unknown how long HBO will continue with this. At some point, I think, you'll have to read the books - either because you can't wait until next season to see what happens, or because HBO will simply stop making them.

The written word is so exquisitely done though. It's hard to not come right out and say READ THE BOOKS. I pick up new stuff with every re-read, and with the new book, I'm trying to read every sentence carefully because I know that each and every word has much more meaning than you could possibly imagine. Even though HBO has done a fantastic job so far they've really had to trim it back. There's much and more in the book(s), so much that HBO could only barely touch on some of these things - important things, exciting things, game changing Super Bowl legend-type of things.

In the end, I think the volume of riches that you get from reading the books will outweigh the element of surprise that you will get from only watching the show. Remember, that the element of surprise will be there for you while reading too, and while it won't be as visual and quick, it will be much more intense (in that you fully understand the story) and far from being less satifying (or painful).

^^^^

I don't know if you can tell or not, but I could go on and on and on about this stuff...

I think you've pushed me over the edge. In the last handful of episodes after my wife had read the first boo, she was filing in some of the back storyHBO had left out.

sigpic

Comment

• Freyaka
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jan 2007

I read Game of thrones and part of A Clash of Kings...I dunno I liked what I read but it was just far to crass to keep my interest (and from what little I've seen of the show it doesn't seem to be any better IMO.....) I dunno just not my thing.

I wish someone in Hollywood would hurry up and do something with the Wheel of Time series however!
                    sigpic

Comment

• LarryDean
                      All-Pro
                      • Sep 2004

Man I forgot all about this series ...
                      :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

• Mount-n-Groan
                        Epithetically Challenged
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                        I read Game of thrones and part of A Clash of Kings...I dunno I liked what I read but it was just far to crass to keep my interest (and from what little I've seen of the show it doesn't seem to be any better IMO.....) I dunno just not my thing.

I wish someone in Hollywood would hurry up and do something with the Wheel of Time series however!
                        Interesting about Wot and GoT fans; they're both religiously devout to their series and seem to have an aversion to the other. They're obviously both very successful epic high fantasy stories, but from what I've heard that's about where the similarities end. I have the first WoT book and I've been meaning to read it for years, but I keep hearing things about the series that make me hesitate. Namely, that after Book 6 or so it REALLY drags and that character depth (especially with the woman) is rather shallow and repetitive. Two friends of mine (non-fantasy readers that I introduced GoT to) have both attempted to read the first WoT book and couldn't get into it. That makes me hesitate too; although I'm a bigger fantasy fan than either of them and would probably enjoy WoT.

I think it's likely that GoT was developed for the screen because it's character driven and appeals to a wider audience than other recent fantasy series. Magic is very much in the background, and while a lot of magic may be fine for you or me, it's often a turn off to your average reader/tv watcher/movie goer. I also think the the grittiness and brutality of it all also attracts the movie maker types; especially the likes of HBO.

But, anyway... Freyaka... convince me to read the WoT series. I'm almost there; I just need to be pushed over the edge. It's a serious committment as you know...

And, you didn't even get to A Storm of Swords? shame, shame... :nono:
                        Winter is Coming!

Comment

• Freyaka
                          Football Immortal
                          • Jan 2007

Interesting about Wot and GoT fans; they're both religiously devout to their series and seem to have an aversion to the other. They're obviously both very successful epic high fantasy stories, but from what I've heard that's about where the similarities end. I have the first WoT book and I've been meaning to read it for years, but I keep hearing things about the series that make me hesitate. Namely, that after Book 6 or so it REALLY drags and that character depth (especially with the woman) is rather shallow and repetitive. Two friends of mine (non-fantasy readers that I introduced GoT to) have both attempted to read the first WoT book and couldn't get into it. That makes me hesitate too; although I'm a bigger fantasy fan than either of them and would probably enjoy WoT.

I think it's likely that GoT was developed for the screen because it's character driven and appeals to a wider audience than other recent fantasy series. Magic is very much in the background, and while a lot of magic may be fine for you or me, it's often a turn off to your average reader/tv watcher/movie goer. I also think the the grittiness and brutality of it all also attracts the movie maker types; especially the likes of HBO.

But, anyway... Freyaka... convince me to read the WoT series. I'm almost there; I just need to be pushed over the edge. It's a serious committment as you know...

And, you didn't even get to A Storm of Swords? shame, shame... :nono:
                          I felt like I'd have better luck reading a harlequin romance novel probably cleaner too.....I just really tired of the overly graphic descriptions of the sexual acts and anatomy that they felt like throwing around I think that's why I like WoT it's got the intruiging story without all the smut. That's not to say I won't eventually finish the Song of Fire and Ice series ( do like the story itself I just got tired of the crassness) I just am enjoying WoT more right now so I'll finish it first.

I'm only to book 3 of WoT and I've never read it prior to now. From what I've heard it's not everything after book 6 that's boring it's just that book 6 has several chapters that just drag really bad but if you can fight through it the rest is great (and I know the begining of the story for sure has my intrest)
                          sigpic

Comment

• Mount-n-Groan
                            Epithetically Challenged
                            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                            I felt like I'd have better luck reading a harlequin romance novel probably cleaner too.....I just really tired of the overly graphic descriptions of the sexual acts and anatomy that they felt like throwing around I think that's why I like WoT it's got the intruiging story without all the smut. That's not to say I won't eventually finish the Song of Fire and Ice series ( do like the story itself I just got tired of the crassness) I just am enjoying WoT more right now so I'll finish it first.

I'm only to book 3 of WoT and I've never read it prior to now. From what I've heard it's not everything after book 6 that's boring it's just that book 6 has several chapters that just drag really bad but if you can fight through it the rest is great (and I know the begining of the story for sure has my intrest)
                            Yeah, Harlequin's are probably cleaner... After I posted I figured that that must be it. It's very well-written, he doesn't waste a word, the characters are masterfully done, and all that, but it's graphic, gritty, brutal, nasty, and just downright obscene a lot of the time. The HBO series took it a step further a few times (and maybe a little too much, imo). I think that part of the allure for most people is that break from the traditional fantasy norms, but yeah... it's definitely not for everyone.

Keep me posted on your thoughts about WoT.

Winter is Coming!

Comment

• Freyaka
                              Football Immortal
                              • Jan 2007

Yeah, Harlequin's are probably cleaner... After I posted I figured that that must be it. It's very well-written, he doesn't waste a word, the characters are masterfully done, and all that, but it's graphic, gritty, brutal, nasty, and just downright obscene a lot of the time. The HBO series took it a step further a few times (and maybe a little too much, imo). I think that part of the allure for most people is that break from the traditional fantasy norms, but yeah... it's definitely not for everyone.

Keep me posted on your thoughts about WoT.

I'm up to book 5 now, so far I'm enjoying it a lot. Great depth of characters thus far the stor is very solid we'll see how I feel after the next book bu so far I'm really liking it a lot.

I think if the depth is going to start lacking it will be due to introducing too many characters but so far it's very solid.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Remedy
                                Former Mod about town
                                • Apr 2009

graphically speaking wheel of time is the letters to the editor of hustler

where as WoT is playboy.

WoT is so intense I find with random characters who add such minor details. and too many story lines and I dont enjoy the chapter flow as much in the WoT

Comment

Working...
                                X