• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samparnell
    Soy Capitan Meshpoint
    • Nov 2007

Game of Thrones

The season finale was awesome. Can't wait for season two next year.

Until then, season four of Breaking Bad starts next month! :thumb:
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus
  • Mount-n-Groan
    Epithetically Challenged
    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    The season finale was awesome. Can't wait for season two next year.

Until then, season four of Breaking Bad starts next month! :thumb:
    As a HUGE Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice & Fire fan, I must admit...

HBO hit it out of the park with this!!! :clap:

It was a monumental task to even come close to the brilliance of the books, but I think they came as close as humanly possible. And, judging from the reaction of the non-readers and their desire to now go read the books it appears that they captured the same wonder, shock & anticipation that the readers felt after finishing the first book for the first time.

I imagine that the second book is being ordered at a furious pace today. The first 4 book box set is still #1 on Amazon, and the upcoming 5th book is #3.

So far, it's one of the greatest stories ever told, in my opinion, and HBO is off to a great start in doing the story justice.

Winter is.... here to stay!
    Winter is Coming!

Comment

• LordTrychon
      Unleashed
      • Oct 2003

I will attempt to catch up with this sometime this summer, I think.

Have to get the wife into it.

:hehe:

Comment

• samparnell
        Soy Capitan Meshpoint
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
        As a HUGE Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice & Fire fan, I must admit...

HBO hit it out of the park with this!!! :clap:

It was a monumental task to even come close to the brilliance of the books, but I think they came as close as humanly possible. And, judging from the reaction of the non-readers and their desire to now go read the books it appears that they captured the same wonder, shock & anticipation that the readers felt after finishing the first book for the first time.

I imagine that the second book is being ordered at a furious pace today. The first 4 book box set is still #1 on Amazon, and the upcoming 5th book is #3.

So far, it's one of the greatest stories ever told, in my opinion, and HBO is off to a great start in doing the story justice.

Winter is.... here to stay!
        I know, man. Tyrian Lannister is Hand of the King? Robb Stark is King of the North? Knight's Watch is out from the wall in force? Gothraki cavalry just got an air force? Too cool!

Comment

• Mount-n-Groan
          Epithetically Challenged
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

As soon as I read the first book I started recommending it to people. My wife was one of them, but I was unsure how she'd like it since she's about as far away from someone that would enjoy epic high fantasy as you can get. All I asked was that she read at least the first 100 pages of Thrones. She did so and I sensed some doubt, so I asked her to just finish it (knowing full well that it's extremely hard to stop after reading the first book). Well, she devoured the rest of it, and the next 3 books, and is now eagerly anticipating the release of book 5. She was extremely pleased - almost in a state of disbelief that she liked them as much as she did. Honestly, I think it was the plight of the children and the strong female characters that hooked her. That's the great thing about them; there's a little something for everyone in them - and each and every little something is written and developed masterfully.

HBO's program is a close yet distant second to the reading experience, but really all I'm seeing is throngs of people wanting to read the books now that they've seen the show. With that being said, the second season can't come soon enough.
          Winter is Coming!

Comment

• Mount-n-Groan
            Epithetically Challenged
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            I know, man. Tyrian Lannister is Hand of the King? Robb Stark is King of the North? Knight's Watch is out from the wall in force? Gothraki cavalry just got an air force? Too cool!
            ...and don't forget Arya.

She's probably my favorite character and storyline. I mean, who doesn't love a badass vengeful little girl with a sword?
            Winter is Coming!

Comment

• samparnell
              Soy Capitan Meshpoint
              • Nov 2007

You got that right.

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
              ...and don't forget Arya.

She's probably my favorite character and storyline. I mean, who doesn't love a badass vengeful little girl with a sword?
              Of all the Stark children, she may be the one who settles the most scores when it's over and done with.

Comment

• underrated29
                Why did the fans get Dumb
                • Feb 2006

it just sucks that they are filming season two in july and we have to wait until next spring for more action.

I was hoping it would come out this fall.
                So far:
                FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

• Vhailor
                  Analytical Thinker
                  • Mar 2009

Out of the books, was I the only one who didn't like Bran Stark? I could never like that kid.
                  Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Mount-n-Groan
                    Epithetically Challenged
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Vhailor View Post
                    Out of the books, was I the only one who didn't like Bran Stark? I could never like that kid.
                    There may be some slight spoilers in what I'm about to write so stop right now if you don't want to know some things.

More than the character I love the exposition in his chapters: Meera & Jojen's retelling of the Knight of the Laughing Tree story, Blackhands, his dreams, warging, etc. His is probably the arc that is the least developed, but also the one with a very interesting future as far as The Others are concerned. It was already picking up quite a bit when we last saw him.

It's not that I don't like him, but I can understand those that don't because there's not much there (yet?) and the ambiguity of his situation/direction bleeds over into his character. Who/what is Bran? GRRM has said numerous times that Bran was the most difficult to write.
                    Winter is Coming!

Comment

• tnedator
                      All-Pro
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

My wife started reading the books (after watching the first few episodes). So, I can't talk about the books, as I haven't read them. As to the series, it's definitely worth watching. Good characters. Good story.

I know it's going to be a long 9 months or so until the second season airs.
                      The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

• Mount-n-Groan
                        Epithetically Challenged
                        • Jun 2003

Game of Thrones: More popular than Tim Tebow? (and John Elway?)

:paper:
                        Winter is Coming!

Comment

• Mount-n-Groan
                          Epithetically Challenged
                          • Jun 2003

Interesting news:

"A Game of Thrones" is now #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list.

The crazy thing is that that book is 15 years old. Perhaps even crazier still is the fact that Book 2 "A Clash of Kings" is #4. Oh, and Book 3 "A Storm of Swords" is #6. And, WTH... one more... Book 4 "A Feast for Crows" is #8. That's right... all of the first 4 books are in the top 10.

The New York Times Best Sellers are up-to-date and authoritative lists of the most popular books in the United States, based on sales in the past week, including fiction, non-fiction, paperbacks, children’s books, audiobooks, graphic books and more.

Martin likes to talk about that first signing tour for AGOT. How at the St. Louis signing where the only four people in the cafe/bookstore actually left when he got up to speak, and the Dallas signing where he drew a dozen people while Clifford the Big Red Dog drew hundreds.

But, with Book 5 "A Dance with Dragons" just one week away from its release things have never looked so good for GRRM and his fans.

As for Amazon... "A Dance with Dragons" has moved into the top spot. It replaced the 4 book box set of "A Song of Ice and Fire" (which is currently #2).

Either there's a hell of a lot of geeky Thrones fans out there or this thing is really catching on and crossing a lot boundaries.

Winter is Coming!

Comment

• underrated29
                            Why did the fans get Dumb
                            • Feb 2006

Not to sound real bad here, but the guy is like 65 years old. He still has not finished 6 or 7.....

He needs to get cracking here. If he finishes his life before these books, I am going to flip out. I am totally addicted to this series and I have never heard of it until the show came out a couple months ago.
                            So far:
                            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

• Mount-n-Groan
                              Epithetically Challenged
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                              Not to sound real bad here, but the guy is like 65 years old. He still has not finished 6 or 7.....

He needs to get cracking here. If he finishes his life before these books, I am going to flip out. I am totally addicted to this series and I have never heard of it until the show came out a couple months ago.
                              It's a legitimate concern. Fans have been worried about this since shortly after A Storm of Swords was released in 2000. I know of a couple of people that have stopped reading the series because they don't think George will live long enough to finish it.

There were several snags after ASOS that I won't get in to now, but basically the general feeling is that it's all down hill from here. My personal opinion is the same. I don't think the story will be giving him fits like it has over the last 10 years. My main concern now is that the renewed success of the books (due mainly to the show) will bite in to his writing time. And, if HBO continues with the series he won't have the luxury to spend 4-5 years on the remaining books. They'll catch up to him if that happens.

...which leads me to another semi-popular concern: That the quality of the story will diminish if he's rushed to finish writing ahead of a pressing HBO schedule.

Who knows...

Here's an interesting (and somewhat famous) blog post from Neil Gaiman that touches on this subject. The meat of the post is his answer to a fans question.

Enjoy...

I am home. My dog is happy to see me. The world is a good place and I am behind on work because American Airlines doesn't have proper power ...
                              Winter is Coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X