Page 154 of 168 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 2519

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    I think a lot of it had to have been those streaming. I have a good Sony 4k and finally got around to upgrading my home theater, got great sound, spent the week watching 4k movies and changing the settings... and I got black pixelated blobs throughout the episode . I streamed it via HBO streaming app. I will try again later this week when there shouldn't be so much traffic.

Disappointed because the Battle for Helms Deep looked a lot better.
    that was a great battle sequence. However, that was big budget movie compared to a tv show budget. The budget for the 2 towers was $94M almost 20 years ago. The budget for the whole season of GoT was $90M.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    Yes, and the story is about a desperate, all out battle against an enormous horde of the dead led by the Night King, who shot their best laid battle plans all to hell. The battle indeed became chaos at that point.

Says who? We saw the fighting, we saw the desperate circumstances, we saw the dragons spewing flames and fighting. Battles are not nice, neat, well choreographed, well lit affairs.

I'm well aware of the fact that most people don't calibrate their displays. For that matter, most people don't calibrate their audio or have surround sound. That doesn't mean that the show producers shouldn't use high definition surround sound with LFE effects or wide video dynamic range.

The Night King's ability to summon forth the storm indeed greatly affected the battle and made it much more difficult to defeat him.
    It's easy for you to take this rather smug stance because you were able to see it on the fancy TV you bragged about, and you're just being an apologist for poor direction here because you liked it.

We had plenty of battle chaos in Watchers on the Wall and Blackwater and the director for those had superior skills for conveying the story and making it visible. The director's goal is to tell a story by communicating the events of it to the viewer. By your logic, the battle scenes in the books should have black ink splattered all over the pages so you can't read them because battles are supposed to be "messy."
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    that was a great battle sequence. However, that was big budget movie compared to a tv show budget. The budget for the 2 towers was $94M almost 20 years ago. The budget for the whole season of GoT was $90M.
    True story, but it was actually hyped up to be comparable to Helm's Deep by the folks making it. The battle fell well short of that, well short of all of the other hype for the episode too, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    It's easy for you to take this rather smug stance because you were able to see it on the fancy TV you bragged about
    Who said it's a "fancy TV"? You make it sound as if I bought it at some boutique for billionaires. Quite the contrary, I bought it at Best Buy. The cost to calibrate it? ZERO. But it did take some effort. If you don't want to make such an effort, that's your choice.

By your logic, the battle scenes in the books should have black ink splattered all over the pages so you can't read them because battles are supposed to be "messy."
    That's a ludicrous analogy. It's not even apples and oranges. The cinematography shows everything that people say is "missing". A much better analogy would be someone who can't read the words on his tablet because his screen is too dirty, and he can't be bothered to clean it.

Who said it's a "fancy TV"? You make it sound as if I bought it at some boutique for billionaires. Quite the contrary, I bought it at Best Buy. The cost to calibrate it? ZERO. But it did take some effort. If you don't want to make such an effort, that's your choice.

That's a ludicrous analogy. It's not even apples and oranges. The cinematography shows everything that people say is "missing". A much better analogy would be someone who can't read the words on his tablet because his screen is too dirty, and he can't be bothered to clean it.
    i really liked the scene where Arya jumps out of nowhere with her dagger and you don't see her coming until her face comes into view.., I thought that was brilliant shooting.

Yeah that was the moment of the whole series so far for me and most peeps probably
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

No, it's the perfect analogy. It's the job of the printer to make the writer's words as clear and legible as possible. It's the job of the director to make the showrunner's script visible to the audience.

You want to fault literally millions of people for not having superior equipment or not bending over backwards trying to adjust their sets --and on the assumption that they even can! I know people who adjusted contrast and they still couldn't see! This is the fault of the director which you're trying (and failing) to excuse. That they release a product that even requires that is testament enough to some poor technical direction. The fact that it's widespread news (I just saw it on ET on ABC a few minutes ago) and it's now the subject of numerous memes means that it's a legit problem with the episode.

It's the job of the printer to make the writer's words as clear and legible as possible. It's the job of the director to make the showrunner's script visible to the audience.
    Which is exactly what they did.

You want to fault literally millions of people for not having superior equipment or not bending over backwards trying to adjust their sets --and on the assumption that they even can!
    Who said anything about "superior equipment"? The tools to do the calibration are readily available. It's hardly the Herculean effort you paint it as.

I know people who adjusted contrast and they still couldn't see!
    There's much more to calibration than "adjusting contrast". That doesn't mean it's difficult, just requires effort. As I said, not doing so is YOUR choice, not the fault of the cinematographer.

Which is exactly what they did.
    No they didn't.

Who said anything about "superior equipment"? The tools to do the calibration are readily available. It's hardly the Herculean effort you paint it as.

There's much more to calibration than "adjusting contrast". That doesn't mean it's difficult, just requires effort. As I said, not doing so is YOUR choice, not the fault of the cinematographer.
    So if this was released in the theaters instead and you couldn't see most of it clearly, who's fault would it be, the projectionist's or the film's director responsible for numerous technical staff in charge of lighting, as well as the post production editors?

No they didn't.
    Yes they did, because I saw it.

So if this was released in the theaters instead and you couldn't see most of it clearly, who's fault would it be, the projectionist's or the film's director responsible for numerous technical staff in charge of lighting, as well as the post production editors?
    It would be the theater's fault for not setting up their equipment properly. Same thing as with TVs.

Yes they did, because I saw it.
    Uh huh, as I said 'smug'.

But millions didn't which is why it's news.

It would be the theater's fault for not setting up their equipment properly. Same thing as with TVs.
    Wrong. As a former projectionist, I can tell you that they have virtually no control over any of that. If it's shot too dark, and not corrected in post-production before it's printed, SOL.

That they release a product that even requires adjustment is testament to poor technical direction and editing.

Uh huh, as I said 'smug'.
    Stating a fact isn't being smug

Wrong. As a former projectionist, I can tell you that they have virtually no control over any of that. If it's shot too dark, and not corrected in post-production before it's printed, SOL.
    The shadow detail IS there. so there was no error in post production. And if you think theaters don't make mistakes with their setups, think again. I went to a Dolby Cinema a few years ago that had its laser projectors BADLY misconverged.

Stating a fact isn't being smug
    It's not a fact. It's your opinion that they did a good job because you could see it after fiddling with your set.

The shadow detail IS there. so there was no error in post production. And if you think theaters don't make mistakes with their setups, think again. I went to a Dolby Cinema a few years ago that had its laser projectors BADLY misconverged.
    The choice to shoot it too dark was an error. The choices to add fog and velocity were errors. The digital cleanup wasn't enough.

Of course theaters can make mistakes, but they can't do much with poor source material, and that they would even need to means the fault lies with the movie studio.

It's not a fact.
    It IS a fact that I saw the shadow detail. So did others. That's not opinion.

The choice to shoot it too dark was an error. The choices to add fog and velocity were errors.
    That's opinion, not objective fact.

Of course theaters can make mistakes, but they can't do much with poor source material,
    They can calibrate to show shadow detail. Hardly a challenge for them, considering the fact that I did.
    Last edited by RobertR; 04-29-2019 at 06:54 PM.

It IS a fact that I saw the shadow detail. So did others. That's not opinion.
    Stop misdirecting. It's not a fact that "the director made the showrunner's script visible to the audience" when there's a multitude of complaints (fact), causing it to make the news (fact) and to see it requires good equipment (fact) and major adjustments (fact).

That's opinion, not objective fact.
    No it's an evidential and logical conclusion to the facts above.