Page 157 of 168 FirstFirst ... 57 107 147 155 156 157 158 159 167 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 2519

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    D&D met with GRRM in Santa Fe a few years ago when they realized that the TV series was going to overtake the book series and got all the major plot points, story beats and main character resolutions from him. Additionally, just before the Season 8 premiere, Martin told 60 minutes that D&D's ending won't be much different than his books on the big stuff.
    Doesnt mean D&D put them in the right order. Also....

George RR Martin has revealed that he himself may even be surprised by the TV ending of Game of Thrones.

The author, who has yet to release the final two books in his Song of Ice and Fire series, recently revealed that he does know part of how the HBO adaptation ends – but only "to a degree".

Indeed, Martin said that he hasn't seen the final episode yet and only knows how the show concludes in terms of what he has previously discussed with GoT showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss.

Martin told Rolling Stone: "I mean, I think... the major points of the ending will be things that I told [Weiss and Benioff], you know, five or six years ago.

"But there may also be changes, and there'll be a lot added."
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...-book-changes/

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-f...hrones-813890/

[/QUOTE]I'm sure that The Winds of Winter will be completed and released soon which should tell us if there's some kind of Night King forthcoming in this story. Of course, I do not think that the final book will be completed in GRRM's lifetime to compare endings. We'll have to wait for another author to work with his notes and unfinished manuscript the same way Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series was finished posthumously by Brandon Sanderson.[/QUOTE]

This is my biggest fear and why ill continue to watch the show as even if its not how i want it, it may be my only source of closuer.
    Last edited by dipablo; 05-02-2019 at 12:22 PM.

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Quote Originally Posted by dipablo View Post
    Anything that had to do with Bran, the 3ER raven, Wildlings, Melisandra, the Nights Watch is part of the NK.

Google has Cersei at 3h 56 min screen time. Jon Snow is at 5h 38 mins. Jons entire arc is about the WW or NK.
    I disagree. Those characters aren't subservient to a story about the Night King. Though Melisandre's background religious goals ultimately point there, she was created as part of Stannis' arc, to show how religious zeal and fanaticism can go too far, and how mistakes in interpreting prophecy and visions can lead to error and disillusionment. She had a little transformation of character because of this which made for interesting drama.

The surviving Starks (including foster bro Theon) ALL went through transformations, and Bran and Jon had their own which involved a lot of other conflicts to shape their paths along the way, not just wights: Theon sacks Winterfell, the mutineers at Craster's, Mance and the Wildling army, Ygritte, Alliser Thorne, Ramsay Bolton, etc. The 3ER quest and the Dead were part of that, but not the endpoint of all that, and not the purpose of that. Character development and transformation of the primary protagonists are the real purposes of all these events and journeys. And the 3ER was more than just a strategic objective of the NK; the 3ER homed in on Stark family history and Tower of Joy flashbacks for Jon's origin which had no connection to the war with the Dead at all. His rightful claim is a political purpose which creates conflict in the drama currently unfolding.

Most of Cersei's doings were driven by Tywin, not her. It wasn't until Tywin died and Tyrion fled that she did anything on her own. And since she has done nothing but screw things up. I am unsure how someone with literally 0 claim to the throne can be considered the top bad. Dorne will not support her, the Reach will not after she killed the Tyrells, The Vale already sided with the north and guess what the riverlands will do? It laughable to think with only sellswords and pirates that she has a chance.

The only real issue left to solve is between Jon and Dany, who wins the claim.Yawn.

KL and the IT should have been dealt with first with those remaining banding together to stop the NK to save the realm.
    The Lannisters (as the analog to the Lancasters of the historical War of the Roses that GRRM adapted to fantasy) were set up as the antagonists to the Starks (Yorks from the WotR) from day one, and Cersei did plenty on her own without Tywin while he lived, herself evolving, growing worse, and transforming into the bitter Mad Queen we have now.

She seized the Throne because all legitimate Baratheon heirs are dead. Debate her "claim" all you want, but Aegon the Conqueror and Robert Baratheon had no claims either --they just seized power, and so did she.

Politics and character drama are obviously not what you value, though they have been central to this show, aptly called Game of Thrones. If you want zombies overrunning everything and a story to focus on that, well then you have the Walking Dead series, and many film series like that-- Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil, etc. so you can certainly get your fill!
    Last edited by L.M.; 05-02-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Right but I don't expect them to diverge from any of the main story points that he gave them, and neither does he which is what he said on 60 minutes. That would be some serious disrespect if they tossed out his ideas for the conclusion and just made up their own. I don't see them doing that.

Politics and character drama are obviously not what you value ,though they have been central to this show, aptly called Game of Thrones. If you want zombies overrunning everything and a story to focus on that, well then you have the Walking Dead series, and many film series like that Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil, etc. so you can certainly get your fill!
    The Show is called Game of Thrones. The Story is Called A Song of Ice and Fire. Its seems to me D&D are going a different direction then Martin since the beginning.

I do value the politics and character development, we just have differing views on the central plot. I see the whole show as a parallel to our current world. Every country is so concerned about their own politics that we are blind to world wide issues. Martin himself has said this is true.

“There is—in a very broad sense—a certain parallel there,” Martin told the New York Times. “The people in Westeros are fighting their individual battles over power and status and wealth. And those are so distracting them that they’re ignoring the threat of ‘winter is coming,’ which has the potential to destroy all of them and to destroy their world.”
    He uses the political story line (which i do know he took from WotR) as the story device, its distraction for the characters to the real threat.

Winter is coming....

Not The Lannisters are Coming

Right but I don't expect them to diverge from any of the main story points that he gave them, and neither does he which is what he said on 60 minutes. That would be some serious disrespect if they tossed out his ideas for the conclusion and just made up their own. I don't see them doing that.
    I think its already done.

The Show is called Game of Thrones. The Story is Called A Song of Ice and Fire. Its seems to me D&D are going a different direction then Martin since the beginning.
    And what is the Song of Ice and Fire? That's widely considered to be Jon Snow/Aegon VI, the product of Lyanna Stark (Ice) and Rhaegar Targaryen (Fire). Alternatively, Jon is Ice and Dany is Fire as Melisandre described them to Varys before she left for Volantis.

Martin on the adaptation as told to 60 Minutes:

"Yes. And, you know, the major beats. I mean, obviously, we're talking here about a-- several days of story conferences taking place in my home in Santa Fe, New Mexico. But there's no way to get in all the detail, all the minor characters, all the secondary characters.

"The series has been extremely faithful, compared to 97 percent of all television and movie adaptations of literary properties. But it's not completely faithful. And-- and it can't be. Otherwise, it would have to run another five seasons.

"I don't think Dan and Dave's ending is gonna be that different from my ending because of the conversations we did have. But they may be on certain secondary characters, there may be big differences."

Winter is coming....

Not The Lannisters are Coming
    There's more meanings to this than you think.

"Winter Is Coming" is the motto of House Stark, one of the Great Houses of Westeros. The meaning behind these words is one of warning and constant vigilance. The Starks, being the lords of the North, strive to always be prepared for the coming of winter, which hits their lands the hardest. The inevitable truth of the words are mentioned by other characters, such as Maester Aemon, who occasionally note that sooner or later, the Starks are always right. This was proven in The Winds of Winter, when autumn is ended with the coming of a white raven. Jon Snow remarks that his father, Eddard Stark, was bound to be right eventually.

A second meaning is that the Starks themselves are Winter, poetically, and that this is supposed to be an intimidating motto for the enemies of House Stark. This was invoked by Arya Stark after killing the members of House Frey who participated in the Red Wedding, instructing the women she spared to tell people that "Winter came for House Frey."

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wik...Coming_(motto)

I think its already done.
    Obviously, just stating it from present tense to where we are currently in its broadcast
    Last edited by L.M.; 05-02-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Anything that had to do with Bran, the 3ER raven, Wildlings, Melisandra, the Nights Watch is part of the NK.

Google has Cersei at 3h 56 min screen time. Jon Snow is at 5h 38 mins. Jons entire arc is about the WW or NK.

Most of Cersei's doings were driven by Tywin, not her. It wasn't until Tywin died and Tyrion fled that she did anything on her own. And since she has done nothing but screw things up. I am unsure how someone with literally 0 claim to the throne can be considered the top bad. Dorne will not support her, the Reach will not after she killed the Tyrells, The Vale already sided with the north and guess what the riverlands will do? It laughable to think with only sellswords and pirates that she has a chance.

The only real issue left to solve is between Jon and Dany, who wins the claim.Yawn.

KL and the IT should have been dealt with first with those remaining banding together to stop the NK to save the realm.
    Solved. Jon and Dany rule together.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post

I see the whole show as a parallel to our current world. Every country is so concerned about their own politics that we are blind to world wide issues. Martin himself has said this is true.

He uses the political story line (which i do know he took from WotR) as the story device, its distraction for the characters to the real threat.
    If the politics and character drama are just distractions as you believe, then they sure devoted a LOT of time -like most of it- to these "distractions"!

That's where the meat of the story is and all the good stuff. The background existential threat of the Dead is just one of many themes. I already highlighted transformation and redemption, and there a quite a few more in this complex story besides these. If you Google for its themes you'll find many articles on them.

Yes Martin said what you quoted and also that it's “a perfect metaphor for understanding climate change.” but this is not intentional, not planned, nor an allegory to our own world, as he explicitly said in 2013:

“JRR Tolkien strenuously denied that his books were in any way an allegory for World War II, have you ever been accused of writing about climate change by proxy? You know, it being a bit of a thing in your works, the long Winter?” George replied, “No, I haven’t, not until now,” and continued, “Like Tolkien I do not write allegory, at least not intentionally. Obviously you live in the world and you’re affected by the world around you, so some things sink in on some level, but, if I really wanted to write about climate change in the 21st century I’d write a novel about climate change in the 21st century. Sometimes things happen that are hard to believe. You have to remember I’ve been writing these since 1991..."

http://nerdalicious.com.au/books/geo...nd-of-thrones/

And I do recall an interview with Martin in which he stated unequivocally that this isn't just about a zombie apocalypse.
    Last edited by L.M.; 05-02-2019 at 03:34 PM.

found another cool post saying the great war maybe isnt over

take a read

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comm...medium=ios_app

talks about 3ER, the Great Other, etc
    Last edited by JT24Champ; 05-03-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JT24Champ View Post

take a read

Have to agree with one of the first comments: "if anyone thinks a twist this convoluted and nuanced is yet to happen still on the show, they're frankly deluded."

The denial is strong out there!

hahahha... you may be right

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    That's the obvious route, but i doubt thats what happens.

hahaha thats good

Quote Originally Posted by JT24Champ View Post

take a read

Would enjoy this more then just Cersei, Sadly i think LM is right D&D prefers the political game over the Fantasy side even though that's not the heart of the books in my eyes, I know you disagree LM.