Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 91bronco View Post
    I've heard this argument before but Shanahan called him the best WR in the draft against the bump + run/press when he drafted him. Royal backed it up with his stellar rookie season- also keep in mind he put up 225 lb's as many times as Clady (24-25) at the Combine so he definitely has the strength to get off the line. I dunno what the deal is....

Whenever I think about Royals situation something just doesn't seem to add up to me. Coaching/playcalling might very be the culprit.
    What Shannahan said and did was the complete opposite. Shanny moved him around a lot which forced CBs to back off a little bit. And Royal wasn't good again press in college and the bench press is a good number and would make one think that he could be good against the press, I thought the same but Eddie Royal just doesn't have good technique against it. Even when he does get off the press quickly, it still messes up all his timing.

Royal is underrated, but he's not the elite stud waiting to explode that everybody is making it out to be.

If you're a super stud WR, you don't need a genius coach and a particular kind of QB to get you the ball.

I could play QB and call the play and probably get Megatron, Lloyd, or Andre Johnson some completions while covered by a good NFL corner.

Royal is a very good receiver, and he's very underrated, but he's a system receiver who clearly can't dominate wherever he goes, and I really don't see Fox or McCoy as the kind of guys that know how to use him either.

Mason is not wrong and his track record shows it. He has always been productive whereever he has been. He is no Jerry Rice but why does he have to be. AS for Royal I like is size/speed combo. His route running has improved and he is getting tougher for corners to cover. I know when the Raiders played them I saw Asomaugh on him a lot. Which shows you something. The Raiders play man to man 90% of the time and to put their best corner on this guy is huge. The Broncos are a young football team and they could turn it around like last years Raiders did. The AFC West is going to be very interesting. the way that I see it you got three young and up and coming teams with one retooling team (San Diego) so unlike many of the experts I feel that it is a open race for who will rank 1, 2, 3, and 4 by seasons end.

2 things about Royal, he is underrated, and underused.

Josh didn't use him, and I don't think he knew how.

Eddie has proven that if you give him a QB with a arm, he can be a deep threat, and that even with a mediocre QB, he can be a beast in the slot.

Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

McDaniels never used him right. Eddie is best served working the slot, moving aroud the formation, going in motion, and catching slants and bubble screens. McDaniels always talked about using him like Wes Welker, but never actually did it.

McD didnt know how to get him open in his type of playing style

Also Orton didnt look at Eddie as much as he did Gaff and Lloyd and when he did he threw it out of Eddie's reach countless times

I remember it would infuriate me

It's not like eddie did terrible last season, guys... You guys make it seem like he had 300 yards.

It's true! Isnt it interesting how his stats all of the sudden dropped off the face of the planet after his rookie season?

He went from 91 catches and 981 yards in 2008, to 37 catches and 345 yards in 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by Junitz23 View Post
    Brandon Lloyd 1 year as a Bronco: 1448 yards & 11 TDs

Eddie Royal 3 years as a Bronco: 1952 yards & 8 TDs

I'm done.
    Not to nitpick... but Lloyd was a Bronco for two years, and had an even worse year than Royal in 2009.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Not to nitpick... but Lloyd was a Bronco for two years, and had an even worse year than Royal in 2009.
    Yep.. And how about Eddies first year as a Bronco 980 yards and BLloyds first year as a Bronco 117 yards. Everything can be swapped when you look at the numbers but Eddie's no slouch and he is underrated.

I couldn't agree more. I was wondering when someone was going to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    Royal is underrated, but he's not the elite stud waiting to explode that everybody is making it out to be.

If you're a super stud WR, you don't need a genius coach and a particular kind of QB to get you the ball.

You may not need a particular kind of QB to get you the ball, but you do need a QB that won't constantly throw the ball over your head and at your feet. And no, i'm not making this up. If it wasn't for the fact that I need my laptop, it would've been broken long time ago.

I've yelled and thrown things across the room because KO was not getting Royal the ball in a catchable area. To Royal's credit, he would still try to dive and do whatever he could to make the catch, but when the throw is bad, it's bad. And all you see KO do is hit himself on the chest and say "My Bad".

Once again, you may not need a particular kind of QB to get you the ball, but you do need a QB that WANTS to get you the ball. Example: I saw Tebow try to get Richard Quinn the ball more in the last 3 games then Orton did the for almost 2 years.

I could play QB and call the play and probably get Megatron, Lloyd, or Andre Johnson some completions while covered by a good NFL corner.

You just compared Royal to players that are "Featured" recievers on their teams. Royal isn't the featured reciever on our team, Lloyd is. And who was Lloyd before he got featured in this offense? A nobody, a bust, a journeyman, a reciever who has all the talent in the world but he just couldn't put it together for multiple reasons. BUT, when Royal was the featured reciever in 08, we saw what he was capable of. And this is the NFL, it doesn't take Coaches and Players a whole year to figure out how to stop a player, which tells me Royal isn't a fluke

Look what happened when Gaffney was the featured reciever against K.C. in 09. Nobody knew he had it in him to play the type of game he played (except me ), but he got the OPPORTUNITY. Hell, it was one game last year (don't remember which one) where Royal was playing out of control in the 4th quarter. But just like with Knowshon, when a player gets going, we turn away from them.

Royal is a very good receiver, and he's very underrated, but he's a system receiver who clearly can't dominate wherever he goes, and I really don't see Fox or McCoy as the kind of guys that know how to use him either.

I don't think Royal is a system reciever at all. Lloyd on the other hand is, which is why i'm not expecting him to have a season nearly close to what he had last year. I'm not sure if Fox and McCoy knows how to use Royal either, but i'm pretty sure "COACH ELWAY" does.
    Answers in Bold
    Last edited by JayJack; 06-21-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Good to see other players in the league notice how good Eddie is even if he isn't putting up huge numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by JayJack View Post
    Answers in Bold
    Yeah its Ortons fault lol yet Gaffney and Lloyd had career years although Orton has worked out with Eddie more than either one of the two other two during his time in Denver .

Eddie is quality #3/4 receiver but he is very limited in what he can do because he can only catch balls that are consistently right between the numbers. In other words uncontested passes where he is free to catch turn and run .

A slot receiver that can only do those things is not worth much . Watch Welker and you will see that nearly every pass he catches is a exercise in ball placement between him and Brady. he throws the ball low all the time away from the defender and Welker goes low and catches it even if it gets hi uniform dirty .

Eddies simply not that type of receiver and hes not a deep threat and is certainly not a possession receiver .

Hes a quality receiver that deserves touches but he is not a 1/2 . You bring him in as the 3rd or 4th receiver and try to get him some balls in space where he can use his YAC ability.

50+ catches is still very good for a 3/4
    "(Touchdowns) are the goal," Orton said. "You can run for as many yards as you want, throw for as many yards as you want, but you have to convert to seven points. I think we're going to be explosive, be dynamic, be versatile."

"Perception is everything in this league, and a lot of times, unless you're a self-promoter, it can become negative," - Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton Army member #83

Whatever the case may be, I dont think Eddie Royal's lack of production is directly his fault.

Yea he could have performed better, but lets not powder coat it, he didnt fit the coaches plan or scheme what so ever. Look what happened to Peyton Hillis when he went to a scheme that utilized him!

He's a hell of a player IMO.