a discussion on the chargers board regarding don coryell and norv turner

during the course of a discussion where people were trying to talk down norv turner, while glorifying don coryell, i noticed some interesting numbers and just had to share them.....

it's interesting how norv has 2 superbowls to his credit (as an OC)

and don has zero , as an anything

and how norv still at least has a shot at getting another one

and who has the better w/l record as a chargers HC?

coryell = 69 and 55 = 56% winning % (3 and 4 in the playoffs = 43% winning %)
    norv = 41 and 23 = 64% winning % (3 and 3 in the playoffs = 50% winning %)

and they both have/had crappy voices

right now Norv is winning the battle of who is san diego's better coach, if the question is solely based on being between him and don....

Unless Norv completely crashes and burns, he's going to far exceed Don as a chargers head coach

and if somehow he wins a superbowl in san diego, he exceeds anyone who ever coached the chargers

hmmm...

Don Coryell coached the San Diego Chargers from 1978 to 1986. He is well-known for his innovations to football's passing offense. Coryell's offense today is commonly known as "Air Coryell". However, the Charger offense lacked the ability to control the clock, resulting in their defense spending too much time on the field. As a result, they fell short of getting to the Super Bowl.
    all too familiar....

-----------------------------
    it's amazing that norv would have to go 28-32 and 0-1 in the playoffs just to get down to don coryell's chargers head coaching level.....

Interesting stuff, as I'm sure you're well aware it isn't very fair to compare the two with all the rule changes etc. It does however make some sensational reading.

I just see Norv being being very much the modern equivalent of Don amount of rings amassed and QB career path included.

Just my

PS. Nobody hopes I'm wrong about that more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
    Interesting stuff, as I'm sure you're well aware it isn't very fair to compare the two with all the rule changes etc. It does however make some sensational reading.

I just see Norv being being very much the modern equivalent of Don amount of rings amassed and QB career path included.

Just my

PS. Nobody hopes I'm wrong about that more than me.
    oh totally me too, to me he is the modern day don coryell

chargers HC check
    offensive genius check
    elite qb so far ringless check
    weird voice check lol

i hope he can seal the deal unlike don

the main difference is don was successful before becoming the chargers head coach where norv failed multiple times.

not only that but IIRC don didn't inherit the same caliber of team norv did.

right or wrong that is the difference and that is a big reason why norv gets so much heat.

that and the fact that today the NFL and the expectations of their coach's are much different when you have all the media outlets on the internet analyzing every little thing with so many people giving their opinions on different things.

norv just needs to win a ring and all that will go away, at least for a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    the main difference is don was successful before becoming the chargers head coach where norv failed multiple times.

not only that but IIRC don didn't inherit the same caliber of team norv did.

right or wrong that is the difference and that is a big reason why norv gets so much heat.

that and the fact that today the NFL and the expectations of their coach's are much different when you have all the media outlets on the internet analyzing every little thing with so many people giving their opinions on different things.

norv just needs to win a ring and all that will go away, at least for a year or two.
    don didn't have to coach under a senile al davis though lol

Hey, this is a good thread. No smack and I have actually learned something.

Those numbers really surprised me and it is funny how our view of things are so skewed sometimes.

Having never watched the Chargers when I was 6-14 years old I never really had a first person view of what Coryell did. I have gone off the media of him being an unstoppable offensive coach (except in one particular game)

Norv doesn't look so bad.........on paper.....he does LOOK bad all the time, however

Thx for the the learning.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles