Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos - Most rookie of the week honors in past 3 seasons

In the past three years, 6 Broncos rookies have collectively won 11 Pepsi Rookie of the Week awards. Both numbers lead the NFL. A look at who they were:

Eddie Royal (x2)
    Spencer Larsen
    Peyton Hillis
    Ryan Clady

Knowshon Moreno (x4)

Tim Tebow (2)

It seems as if Broncos rookies play pretty well in their first year (although for some, a lot can change in the following years). With some "sexy" draft picks this year in Von Miller and ballhawk Rahim Moore, how many times do you all predict the rookie of the week award falling in the hands of the Broncos? And do you expect any other rookie besides Miller/Moore on our team to step up and perhaps snatch one of those awards during the season?

I'd say Miller gets it once, but I'll be hoping for more. I just think the competition will be stiff.

We also have.... about half of a defensive player on that list though. Not sure whether that's because awards are bias towards flashy offensive stats or because we've sucked at drafting defensive players, but I'm wondering if Thomas might actually have the best chance to win a couple.
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

It's hard for defensive players to win it. Maybe if he has a couple sacks and 8-10 tackles he'll get it for a week. Julius Thomas might be able to get it if he turns in a 100 yard performance with a TD or two which is possible based off of what I saw in that 3rd pre-season game.

Von Miller for sure. Rahim Moore is a longshot, but possible. Franklin I think is a longshot, both because you have to really do something great as an OT to win, plus he seems a bit too raw.

If he gets playing time like it looks like he will, then I think Julius Thomas has a pretty good shot at it.

It's very conceivable that Von and Thomas could win it multiple times.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Twizlers View Post
    In the past three years, 6 Broncos rookies have collectively won 11 Pepsi Rookie of the Week awards. Both numbers lead the NFL. A look at who they were:

Eddie Royal (x2)
    Spencer Larsen
    Peyton Hillis
    Ryan Clady

Knowshon Moreno (x4)

Tim Tebow (2)

It seems as if Broncos rookies play pretty well in their first year (although for some, a lot can change in the following years). With some "sexy" draft picks this year in Von Miller and ballhawk Rahim Moore, how many times do you all predict the rookie of the week award falling in the hands of the Broncos? And do you expect any other rookie besides Miller/Moore on our team to step up and perhaps snatch one of those awards during the season?

I dont think that it has anything to do with how well the Bronco players play. I think that it just means that We have more people out there that will sit online and vote 500 times. Cause a remember a few times that Moreno won it when he was the worst of the 4 finalists. If they want to make it a legit award only let people vote once
    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pride

Quote Originally Posted by japfaff View Post
    I dont think that it has anything to do with how well the Bronco players play. I think that it just means that We have more people out there that will sit online and vote 500 times. Cause a remember a few times that Moreno won it when he was the worst of the 4 finalists. If they want to make it a legit award only let people vote once
    So we should put tighter restrictions on ROW voting than general elections? :-P

I know you don't like the guy as a player but he was very deserving of the award when he got it.

I think this has to do with everyone else around them being bad, so when the rookie does something good for the team it really stands out compared to other teams where the rookies might be making plays, but not compared to everyone else on the team

Like when Tebow won it for taking two snaps.

The vote is a bit of a joke.

I see Julius Thomas being our most explosive rookie. If our HC's didn't keep changing schemes, maybe our rookies would develop

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I know you don't like the guy as a player but he was very deserving of the award when he got it.
    A couple times...But I remember once he won it with like 60 yards and there are another rookie with well over 100......It is just a popularity contest nothing to be excited about....The proof is that none of our rookies got any serious love for Rookie of the year

A couple times...But I remember once he won it with like 60 yards and there are another rookie with well over 100......It is just a popularity contest nothing to be excited about....The proof is that none of our rookies got any serious love for Rookie of the year
    The 4 Times he won it his stats are in BOLD and his competition are just normal:

Week 4 against Dallas Cowboys:

14 carries for 65 yards and 2 receptions for 11 yards, 1 Touchdown

Austin Collie 65 Yards Receiving Yards and 1 Touchdown
    Vontae Davis 23 Yard Interception Return for a Touchdown
    Johnny Know 102 Yard Kick Return Touchdown
    Mohamed Massaquoi 148 Receiving Yards 0 Touchdown

Week 5 against New England Patriots:

21 carries for 88 and 4 receptions for 36 yards

Austin Collie 97 Yards and 2 Touchdowns
    Jeremy Maclin 142 Receiving Yards and 2 Touchdowns
    Hakeem Nicks 49 Receiving Yards and 1 Touchdown
    Mark Sanchez 172 Yards and 1 Touchdown

Week 12 against New York Giants:

19 carries for 88 yards and 1 touchdown

Can't find the other nominees

Week 13 against Kansas City Cheifs:

21 carries for 86 yards and 2 touchdowns

Vontae Davis 3 Tackles and 1 Interception
    Louis Murphy 4 Receptions for 128 Yards and 2 Touchdowns
    Percy Harvin 6 Receptions for 79 Yards and 1 Touchdown
    Jacob Lacey 4 Tackle and 1 Interception

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    The 4 Times he won it his stats are in BOLD and his competition are just normal:

Week 4 against Dallas Cowboys:

14 carries for 65 yards and 2 receptions for 11 yards, 1 Touchdown

Austin Collie 65 Yards Receiving Yards and 1 Touchdown
    Vontae Davis 23 Yard Interception Return for a Touchdown
    Johnny Know 102 Yard Kick Return Touchdown
    Mohamed Massaquoi 148 Receiving Yards 0 Touchdown

Week 5 against New England Patriots:

21 carries for 88 and 4 receptions for 36 yards

Austin Collie 97 Yards and 2 Touchdowns
    Jeremy Maclin 142 Receiving Yards and 2 Touchdowns
    Hakeem Nicks 49 Receiving Yards and 1 Touchdown
    Mark Sanchez 172 Yards and 1 Touchdown

Week 12 against New York Giants:

19 carries for 88 yards and 1 touchdown

Can't find the other nominees

Week 13 against Kansas City Cheifs:

21 carries for 86 yards and 2 touchdowns

Vontae Davis 3 Tackles and 1 Interception
    Louis Murphy 4 Receptions for 128 Yards and 2 Touchdowns
    Percy Harvin 6 Receptions for 79 Yards and 1 Touchdown
    Jacob Lacey 4 Tackle and 1 Interception
    Week 4 masiqui was better
    Week 5 Collie and Maklin were clearly better
    Week 12 was a good game
    Week 13 Louis Murphy had a better game..

Just a popularity contest

Week 4 masiqui was better
    Week 5 Collie and Maklin were clearly better
    Week 12 was a good game
    Week 13 Louis Murphy had a better game..

Just a popularity contest
    Week 4 Masaquai had more yardage but did not have a touchdown. That is always a huge factor when you see these things chosen.

Week 5 Maclin I would say yes deserved it however if you take the situation into affect he was huge on the game winning drive. And the same with Collie but I would say yes in Week 5 Maclin should have got it.

Week 12 yes it was and he deserved it.

Week 13 I disagree. He had the same touchdowns and more yards but for a receiver it is easier to get more yards. A runner has to chip away constantly while a receiver may make a catch every so often.

I think he deserved the award 3 out of the 4 times he won it.