Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Matt Flynn in 2012?

Matt Flynn is set to be a Free Agent after the year and is (by all reports) ready to be a #1 QB in the league. If we go with Orton all year (yuck...) and we decide to go in a new direction that is not Tim Tebow I think Flynn is the best possible option available to be a starter from day 1.

Don't get me wrong, I think Tebow is going to be a great NFL QB, but I am not convinced that our FO and coaching staff believes that and he may have to move on to become the success that I think he can be (just as a Steve Young did). It would be better for both parties if all of this QB madness continues.

I am really hoping that we aren't finishing in last to be in the middle of the Luck chase. If we really want to start to win right away, Flynn may be as good of a bet as anyone else available.

Thoughts?

Maybe I'm missing something but Flynn? Is there really talk that he is a starting QB? I thought he was just a late round backup type guy. But I honestly don't know much about him. If he's ready to be a starter than why was his name not thrown around as trade bait?

Quote Originally Posted by dukes88 View Post
    Matt Flynn is set to be a Free Agent after the year and is (by all reports) ready to be a #1 QB in the league. If we go with Orton all year (yuck...) and we decide to go in a new direction that is not Tim Tebow I think Flynn is the best possible option available to be a starter from day 1.

Don't get me wrong, I think Tebow is going to be a great NFL QB, but I am not convinced that our FO and coaching staff believes that and he may have to move on to become the success that I think he can be (just as a Steve Young did). It would be better for both parties if all of this QB madness continues.

I am really hoping that we aren't finishing in last to be in the middle of the Luck chase. If we really want to start to win right away, Flynn may be as good of a bet as anyone else available.

Thoughts?

There were rumors going around this off-season that he might have been dealt because many people think he may be a good QB. Depending on how the FO feels about their draft position and the QB stable going into next year, he could be a possibility.
    RESTORE THE [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]ORANGE CRUSH!!!![/COLOR][/B]
    :smash

LONG LIVE THE ORANGE AND BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Downboy View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but Flynn? Is there really talk that he is a starting QB? I thought he was just a late round backup type guy. But I honestly don't know much about him. If he's ready to be a starter than why was his name not thrown around as trade bait?
    I have watched him play a bit and he could be ready this year and will definitely be ready next year - he is learning under Rodgers. Aaron is taking him to press meetings, etc. to get him ready for the next level (just heard on NFL radio). There was some speculation of possible trades for him this off-season. He is a FA next year and will be a hot commodity if he gets to the open market.

Here is a link to a Rotoworld sourced article today: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4949/matt-flynn

He's the next Kevin Kolb/Matt Schaub. Somebody is gonna be happy with him as their QB.

Flynn will be good, but I think it more likely we go through the draft if we decide to shake up the QB position.

Next year should be one of the better QB classes to come out from top to bottom.

If the front office does not want Orton, Tebow or Quinn as a long-term plan, the Broncos will draft a quarterback early. A quarterback drafted in a mid or late round could mean open competition with Tebow still being part of the plans. And obviously, the team will also take a look at the free agent quarterbacks to have some depth and competition.

In my opinion, one of the first things that a new regime must do it settle the quarterback situation. Sometimes it does not happen in the first year. But it's not good to keep dragging the situation because continuity on offense, especially at quarterback, is very important for a franchise that wants to become competitive and remain competitive.

The head coaches and GMs that got their jobs and quickly announced their franchise quarterbacks are usually the professionals who have their teams on the right track. Maybe they don't have elite quarterbacks on the field yet, but they have a young quarterback to represent the franchise and an offense surrounded by continuity.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I like flyn he stepped up for the packers when Rodgers was out and what I thought would be a blowout was a game that came down to the wire. Even though the packers lost he kept the game competitive and looked like he was having fun the entire time which is something you dont see QB's do to often. I think he will have his rise to starter status if he gets into a Matt Cassel type of situation other than that I dont really see teams pursuing him as a potential starter for some reason. Also I can't see denver bringing him in.

If we do decide to go with a new QB, I'd much rather have Flynn than spending a draft pick on another QB. If that's the case though, we need to shed Tebows salary. At some point we have to commit to someone. The longer we're in flux the more it hurts the team, we need to make a decision at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    If we do decide to go with a new QB, I'd much rather have Flynn than spending a draft pick on another QB. If that's the case though, we need to shed Tebows salary. At some point we have to commit to someone. The longer we're in flux the more it hurts the team, we need to make a decision at some point.
    It's not like we should be in a rush to get rid of Tebow's salary, it's pretty low and we're still like $24-25 mill under the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    It's not like we should be in a rush to get rid of Tebow's salary, it's pretty low and we're still like $24-25 mill under the cap.
    contract extensions. Outside of a handful of players nobody is really making starter money in denver. You gotta keep clady you gotta keep royal Lloyd is a possible keeper depending on how Thomas looks you have players that may potentially have breakout seasons and if they follow that up you gotta be able to keep them around. At the end of the day you need to have a balanced view of how your spending money. If tebow really doesnt progress but they still want to keep him around to develop a bit longer I see denver asking him to take a pay cut. No sense in paying a guy your not really gonna play.

Actually Tebows agent set him up pretty good. He got a biig chunk of his full contract as a roster bonus this year - far too early for anyone to think about cutting him. This means that in the future 2-3 years he will have a very low salary which again will make it difficult to cut him.

Very good thinking when you are a QB who needs 2-3 years to develop.
    http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8982/sig.jpg

If we do decide to go in another direction, we don't need the Tebow distraction. We should clear the space and fully invest in whoever we decide. Even though his contract is low, the baggage that comes with him is enormous. Even though the FO and players say it doesn't bother them, it does. We need to clean the slate if we do move in another direction.

He's the next Kevin Kolb/Matt Schaub. Somebody is gonna be happy with him as their QB.
    lets not put kolb in the schaub category yet...he has done zero at the nfl level...and personally i think he's gonna fail miserably

I agree, but don't be shocked if Green Bay re-signs him, they like him, and unless somebody is willing to overpay for him, he will stay.

Either way I don't see him here, I see us drafting a QB. What round? It's hard to say, esp since I think it was Elway or Xanders, who said they will not rule out drafting a QB in the 1st, so any round it possible.

Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders