Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,192

    Are We Starting To Look Like The Good Old Broncos?

    It's very early. Haven't played one real game this year. We just came off a terrible season, and in fact, a string of less than impressive seasons. Playoffs are not a word associated with our team....not for some time.

    We the team that has the 4th best record in the NFL since the merger. We the back to back SB champs. We the team that could win 10, 11, 12 and more games a season, with regularity.

    We the team with the identity........balanced O, solid run game and ball hawking, athletic, in your face D.

    ~~~~~~~~~

    I believe we are showing signs of the past. I see some likeness (although still feint) with those Shanny/Elway teams.....and to be fair, minus a "great" QB. We 're not there yet, but here's what I am liking:
    - Some balance of O, characterized by a renewed emphasis on running the ball hard.
    - A pass game that has some of the flair of Elway days, including multiple dimension receiver talents.......with good running back receivers, some potentially steady TEs, and WRs who can go short, medium or long. I see some resemblance in the possibilities of replicating the Hill, Sharpe, McCaffrey corp. I really like LLoyd, Royal and Decker (who reminds me of one of my favs - EMac), and Fells and Thomas may get their share of the ball in this balanced attack.
    - Some real athleticism on D!!! Doom and Miller look to be one of the most ridiculous sack duos in the league!!! They will create all kinds of havoc, including sacks, incompletions and lots of turnovers. And along with them, we certainly do have some athletic, ball hawking type players, who just need some time to gel. Champ is obvious, but I see Moore there as well. And once DJ gets back, watch for a serious LBing contingent, including Mays, Woodyard, and hopefully Irving as well. There are others that fit the bill on this squad, that just need support from their mates.

    Sure we need an oline that gets better as time goes on, but Clady and Kuper are playing top quality ball already, and last year's rookies will be fine. And yes, our Dline is questionable, BUT I believe we will be just fine once Bunkley and Thomas return.....in fact, when they do, we will have a legit Dline.

    And definitely, we don't have an Elway, but we didn't have an Elway before, when we had an Orange Crush bunch of playoff contenders.

    And one last thing......as far as coaching is concerned, Shanny was the man for many years. But I like Fox and I feel Allen is an upcoming DC stud. I am not worried about our new coaching staff.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    4,171

    Great post, as always Can!

    Love the post and I agree entirely.

    You're wrong about not having Elway. We've got him up there in our FO. As much as people don't want to admit, that alone is having a huge mental impact. Nobody loves this team and these colors of orange and blue more than that man. We may not have an Elway behind center, but as of right now our team is twice the team it was last year. That alone is a huge improvement.

    Kyle Orton-

    With the guy leading our offense we are a true contender. Am I his biggest supporter? No. Would I rather Tebow? Definately. However we cannot deny the fact that Orton looks good. And the Orton to Lloyd connection is strong and deadly. The attack of Orton and Lloyd make up for the absence of a franchise QB.

    Brady Quinn-

    Majorly improved. Accuracy seems to have doubled and BQ has always had a cannon. I'm sure consistancy would be an issue, but look out NFL the kid looks like he is ready to flourish. And if he does I cannot guarentee he will be leading 2nd or 3rd strings.

    Tim Tebow-

    Kid is exciting, fun to watch, can lead a team, and is our deadliest redzone weapon. But he doesn't quite have the offense cool and collective like Orton seems to have. Both seem polar opposites. Orton lacks what Tebow is made of. And Tebow lacks the mindset and certain abilities Orton brings to the table.


    With that being said. Our Offense is stable IMHO. Any of our guys leading the offense will score us points and get us to where we need to be. If our D can play the way we have seen and if the DJ-Von-Doom dragon can remain healthy (despite DJ's arm injury) we have a very lethal pass rush. Which immediately effects our oncoming opponents

    San Diego
    Chicago
    New York
    New England

    If we can get a DECENT (ranked at least in the top 20-15) run defence.. We will be a hard team to beat.

    Let the year roll

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Antioch, IL
    Posts
    30,643
    We look good, but let's wait until we do it for real

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Mike View Post
    Love the post and I agree entirely.

    You're wrong about not having Elway. We've got him up there in our FO. As much as people don't want to admit, that alone is having a huge mental impact. Nobody loves this team and these colors of orange and blue more than that man. We may not have an Elway behind center, but as of right now our team is twice the team it was last year. That alone is a huge improvement.............
    You are right about Elway's presence.......I nearly mentioned that, but didn't. But I agree, having him and Fox together, along with Allen and the whole group is a nice group of talented leaders, who will create the right environment for our team to thrive in!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,192
    Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    We look good, but let's wait until we do it for real
    I understand, but this is what I see, and feel, and after all, it's a place to create threads.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In the Moment
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    It's very early. Haven't played one real game this year. We just came off a terrible season, and in fact, a string of less than impressive seasons. Playoffs are not a word associated with our team....not for some time.

    We the team that has the 4th best record in the NFL since the merger. We the back to back SB champs. We the team that could win 10, 11, 12 and more games a season, with regularity.

    We the team with the identity........balanced O, solid run game and ball hawking, athletic, in your face D.

    ~~~~~~~~~

    I believe we are showing signs of the past. I see some likeness (although still feint) with those Shanny/Elway teams.....and to be fair, minus a "great" QB. We 're not there yet, but here's what I am liking:
    - Some balance of O, characterized by a renewed emphasis on running the ball hard.
    - A pass game that has some of the flair of Elway days, including multiple dimension receiver talents.......with good running back receivers, some potentially steady TEs, and WRs who can go short, medium or long. I see some resemblance in the possibilities of replicating the Hill, Sharpe, McCaffrey corp. I really like LLoyd, Royal and Decker (who reminds me of one of my favs - EMac), and Fells and Thomas may get their share of the ball in this balanced attack.
    - Some real athleticism on D!!! Doom and Miller look to be one of the most ridiculous sack duos in the league!!! They will create all kinds of havoc, including sacks, incompletions and lots of turnovers. And along with them, we certainly do have some athletic, ball hawking type players, who just need some time to gel. Champ is obvious, but I see Moore there as well. And once DJ gets back, watch for a serious LBing contingent, including Mays, Woodyard, and hopefully Irving as well. There are others that fit the bill on this squad, that just need support from their mates.

    Sure we need an oline that gets better as time goes on, but Clady and Kuper are playing top quality ball already, and last year's rookies will be fine. And yes, our Dline is questionable, BUT I believe we will be just fine once Bunkley and Thomas return.....in fact, when they do, we will have a legit Dline.

    And definitely, we don't have an Elway, but we didn't have an Elway before, when we had an Orange Crush bunch of playoff contenders.

    And one last thing......as far as coaching is concerned, Shanny was the man for many years. But I like Fox and I feel Allen is an upcoming DC stud. I am not worried about our new coaching staff.....
    It is about direction IMHO... and I think we are heading in the right direction most defitintly.

    Alot remains to be seen once the Real games begin. I have watched football for too many seasons to get fired up about preseason and TC. But I am cautiosuly optimistic.

    One of the biggest PLUSES so far is our draft- I think we have gotten more out of 1 draft so far, than we have in the past 5. Again, preseason, but the rook look promising- and that is how you build quality football teams.
    A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

    #87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lost in the shadow of the Cross
    Posts
    20,587
    I think we are light years away from being on that level.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

    Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Southstander View Post
    I think we are light years away from being on that level.
    The title is: Are We Starting To Look Like......

    I disagree that we are light years away from "starting to look like".....

    In fact, I doubt we've ever had a pass rush tandem like Doom and Miller.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,263
    Agree that Doom and Miller look like a scary combo.

    How scary remians to be seen as I think Seattle is a mess.....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In the Moment
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    The title is: Are We Starting To Look Like......

    I disagree that we are light years away from "starting to look like".....

    In fact, I doubt we've ever had a pass rush tandem like Doom and Miller.
    It appears to be special duo, hopefully we can see them healthy for 16.

    I still think that D-Line is a big area of concern, thin talent and no depth. If we are able to put a few pieces in place on that unit I think out D could be pretty formidable......
    A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

    #87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8,226
    I wouldn't exactly say that or make any unearned comparison's but I posted on here during the game Saturday the rosters is seemingly starting to show some promise in players we can once again be excited about ...

    For me personally the roster since the AFCCG had seemingly each year just got worse and for me was at a dismal all time low ...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    71
    I think we're one the right track.Looking Lots better in all ways.the run D is very suspect and sorly needs to be near great in our division.Like the d=backfield and lb's so far been some great "in the day"hits.
    I'd say we will have a fairly good idea by the 4th game.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,817
    I have a feeling we are gonna have a defense worth rooting for this year. A defense that gets the crowd fired up.

    Said it in another thread will repeat it here.

    If we do three things we win the division this year.

    1. Stay healthy. Some injuries are more devastating then others.
    2. Reduce 3-0uts allot. Offense needs to flip the field more often.
    3. When we get to the red zone score TDs!!

    Think we have the team built that if we can do these things we will be competing for the division!!
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnConvert View Post
    It appears to be special duo, hopefully we can see them healthy for 16.

    I still think that D-Line is a big area of concern, thin talent and no depth. If we are able to put a few pieces in place on that unit I think out D could be pretty formidable......
    I agree. I am one of those that wished we would have taken either Marcell Dareus or Nick Fairley. That would have helped our line a lot. That being said, I'm liking Von Miller more and more. If he plays like this in the regular season, then I'm sold. Add in the fact that I believe Rahim Moore is going to turn out to be a stud for us, and things are definitely looking up.
    Last edited by cirehawk; 08-29-2011 at 02:59 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lost in the shadow of the Cross
    Posts
    20,587
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    The title is: Are We Starting To Look Like......

    I disagree that we are light years away from "starting to look like".....

    In fact, I doubt we've ever had a pass rush tandem like Doom and Miller.
    We are "light years away from being a Super Bowl team IMO. So no, we are "starting to look like..."

    It's looking like we have great pass rush, but as Doom knows injuries can end that in a hurry.

    I am a huge backer of Tebow, but none of our three QB's right now are on the level of Manning, Brady or Rothlessburger.

    Champ and Dawk are a year older.

    Moreno has yet to live uo to the hype.

    The talent level, aa it stands know is not good enough to be compaired to the Super Bowl teams.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

    Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •