Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    It's puzzling that some people are assuming that teams are going to run up the middle against the Broncos with impunity.

There's a reason Bunkley is on the team and that is his run defense. Ayers is also solid against the run. Dumervil has apparently improved against the run.

I hope someone told Vickerson to put back on at least 25 of the 35 lbs. he lost but even with him as the other starting DT the first team defense has been pretty solid against the run during the preseason against starting offenses.

They have some work to do and they do have to prove they're better in the regular season but it seems a bit absurd to just make the assumption that the run defense hasn't improved.

A pass rusher is always more valuable than a defensive tackle. The Broncos made the right choice.

The only thing that would have made Dareus the right choice is if they thought he was going to be a double digit sack threat. I doubt they had that kind of belief in him.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    It's puzzling that some people are assuming that teams are going to run up the middle against the Broncos with impunity.

There's a reason Bunkley is on the team and that is his run defense. Ayers is also solid against the run. Dumervil has apparently improved against the run.

I hope someone told Vickerson to put back on at least 25 of the 35 lbs. he lost but even with him as the other starting DT the first team defense has been pretty solid against the run during the preseason against starting offenses.

They have some work to do and they do have to prove they're better in the regular season but it seems a bit absurd to just make the assumption that the run defense hasn't improved.

A pass rusher is always more valuable than a defensive tackle. The Broncos made the right choice.

The only thing that would have made Dareus the right choice is if they thought he was going to be a double digit sack threat. I doubt they had that kind of belief in him.
    Even if we are solid in the middle with Bunk, Vick, and Thomas, all 3 of them have injuries, and what do we have behind them? Don't worry, i'll wait.

Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    Quote Originally Posted by JayJack View Post
    Even if we are solid in the middle with Bunk, Vick, and Thomas, all 3 of them have injuries, and what do we have behind them? Don't worry, i'll wait.
    If you want to fret over the lack of depth that's your problem.

I'm not going to make any assumptions about how bad the team is going to be. I'll wait until they prove that they're bad until I call them bad.

Bunk and Thomas should be back for the opener and there is still the waiver wire and FA signings that can be made.

If you want to fret over the lack of depth that's your problem.

I'm not going to make any assumptions about how bad the team is going to be. I'll wait until they prove that they're bad until I call them bad.

Bunk and Thomas should be back for the opener and there is still the waiver wire and FA signings that can be made.
    Personally, I base how good of a team we are based off of the depth we have, and as of right now, we're not that good at key positions (DT and CB)

How can you not fret over the lack of depth? Bunk has a knee injury, Vick has an ankle injury, Warren has a tricept injury, and Thomas a chest injury. We need atleast decent depth in the worst way.

The problem with the Wire is the Panthers need to address the same positions that we need to address.

The problem with Free Agency is how much money does these vets want? And how much are EFX willing to pay? So FA isn't a slam dunk neither.

Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    Quote Originally Posted by JayJack View Post
    Personally, I base how good of a team we are based off of the depth we have, and as of right now, we're not that good at key positions (DT and CB)

How can you not fret over the lack of depth? Bunk has a knee injury, Vick has an ankle injury, Warren has a tricept injury, and Thomas a chest injury. We need atleast decent depth in the worst way.

The problem with the Wire is the Panthers need to address the same positions that we need to address.

The problem with Free Agency is how much money does these vets want? And how much are EFX willing to pay? So FA isn't a slam dunk neither.
    I'm concerned about the lack of depth but I'm hoping that the worst of the injury problems are behind them. If the injuries continue to mount, then I'll fret over the lack of depth.

Good depth is something that the team will have to build over the next few years. Right now, they're just going to have to hope that the starters can remain relatively healthy.

The Panthers can't claim everyone and not every FA is going to demand that a team break the bank.

potential best d ever

I think Miller may be the best Bronco defensive player ever.

The key is him staying healthy.

I have no idea what prompted this point of view, but it is misguided.

Beats talking QB's though.
    Waiting to hear from adoption agency

I'm concerned about the lack of depth but I'm hoping that the worst of the injury problems are behind them. If the injuries continue to mount, then I'll fret over the lack of depth.

Good depth is something that the team will have to build over the next few years. Right now, they're just going to have to hope that the starters can remain relatively healthy.

The Panthers can't claim everyone and not every FA is going to demand that a team break the bank.
    I understand that the Panthers can't claim everybody, but they can claim players that we wanted (hopefully the don't) so far they've claimed a CB and DE, positions we need depth at. Now whether or not the Broncos wanted those 2 players is another story.

I know every FA isn't going to break the bank, but you missed my other question. HOW MUCH IS EFX WILLING TO SPEND? Especially on a "depth" player. If you look at the patterns of FAs we signed this year, besides Warren, they are all just about Veterans minimum. So i'm not confident that EFX wants to really spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjoda View Post

I'm sure some people said the same about Mike Croel back in the day, too. Until a player proves he can do it over the long haul, it's all just speculation, no matter how high the draft pick or how good he looks in the preseason.

That being said, Miller is looking pretty good even as a rookie and without having had any offseason training. I'd say his potential is top-tier and there's no reason to not get excited about him.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by johnjoda View Post

Your opinion is as valid as the next individual, but....HOLY CRAP! Really? We're there already after him beating two backup OTs and a 4th string TE?

Heaven help us if Dareus records a sack week one and Miller doesn't
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Heaven help us if Dareus records a sack week one and Miller doesn't
    The Raiders have one of the worst RT situations in the NFL. Of all our games this season, Miller should show well against them. Cincinnati is not much better, so I actually expect Miller to start pretty strong this season in terms of putting pressure on the QB.

The question is how often do those two teams attempt to pass on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

The question is how often do those two teams attempt to pass on us.
    Here is the thing I will be looking at very closely. Not how many passes, but how many 3 step drops are we going to see? If teams are going to consistently have 3 man drops, we need to press often and force TOs.

Can't wait for the opener!!

The run D looked good in the preseason so who knows. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post
    The run D looked good in the preseason so who knows. We will see.
    My theory on why the run D was so bad last year is that we wanted to out physical the opposition and did not have the personnel to do it. Opposing guards and centers constantly blew our guys away on the 2nd level.

Hopefully a more aggressive and disruptive DL will cause chaos and not let the OL find our LBs as easily.

Quote Originally Posted by japfaff View Post
    This pick at the time was a head scratcher for me. I get the pass rush thing, but Run D is/was a far greater need. When you build a football team you go from the football out. DT is far more important than OLB, in any D (for the record I was a bigger Fairley fan). But if we could have followed the Vonn pick with Pea in the second...Then they were onto something, but as it stood this pick was a total head scratcher. That being said after watching Vonn and breaking him down. I can see why they like him. He is going to be a weapon in the passing game. But I don't like that teams are going to not only be able to gash us up the middle, the ends are also going to be open. But this is a multi-year rebuild. So we will see. With any luck this D can get into the mid to low 20's. A 10 slot jump would be huge for us
    Disagree on this point. Improving your run D is worthless if you can't get off the field on 3rd downs, which we absolutely couldn't against some of the most mediocre QBs in the league. It's a passing league now. You have to beat the premier QBs and you don't do that by passing up premier pass rushers when they fall in your lap.

The inability to get off the field impacted the defense (run & pass) in the second half of games. By the time the 4th quarter rolled around, there was no gas in the tank, so of course teams were beating us up on the ground.

I guarantee you if we had gotten off the field (and had longer possessions on offense) our run D last year doesn't look nearly as bad.

I think what some have said is true, it's harder to find elite big guys than it is to find elite small guys. But the key is, would you rather build your defense to be great against the run and good enough against the pass, or great against the pass and good enough against the run. At some point, you're going to have to play Rivers/Brees/Rodgers/Manning/Brady, and your fantastic run D is going to count for nothing.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"