• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BroncosTX77
    Rainman
    • Sep 2006

Dead Island!

XBOX 360 Special Edition~
    Last edited by jetrazor74; 02-17-2012, 02:15 AM. Reason: Edited for inappropriate content.
  • Hoserman117
    Pwnin' Nubz
    • Dec 2006

I'm buying this today, reviews confirmed it isn't crap and actually a very fun game, so OFF I GO!!!

Comment

• Jermz79
      Starter
      • Jun 2005

I'll be picking up my PS3 Copy tonight!! Can't wait
      sigpic

Comment

• BroncosTX77
        Rainman
        • Sep 2006

I am smelling Co-Op for those of ya with 360~

Comment

• Amari24
          Starter
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
          I'm buying this today, reviews confirmed it isn't crap and actually a very fun game, so OFF I GO!!!
          The reviews I've come across say it's a pretty mediocre game.

Wasn't really interested in this to begin with so meh. I'll wait for ORC instead.

Comment

• Hoserman117
            Pwnin' Nubz
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
            The reviews I've come across say it's a pretty mediocre game.

Wasn't really interested in this to begin with so meh. I'll wait for ORC instead.
            8-8.5 isn't crap...

Just played about 90 minutes (gotta get back to school stuff) and it's a lot of fun. It's certainly not polished, the graphics are pretty spotty, but it's a ton of fun. The questing and level up system is very addicting and there's a ton of stuff to do. The combat system doesn't get old, it's always fun to just club zombies and constantly upgrade weapons etc. Reminds me of Fallout and Borderlands in various ways.

Obviously not an in depth review, but it's finally a game, the summer sucked for new games. I'm gonna get tons of play time out of it while I wait for the big hitters to release.

Comment

• Amari24
              Starter
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
              8-8.5 isn't crap...

Just played about 90 minutes (gotta get back to school stuff) and it's a lot of fun. It's certainly not polished, the graphics are pretty spotty, but it's a ton of fun. The questing and level up system is very addicting and there's a ton of stuff to do. The combat system doesn't get old, it's always fun to just club zombies and constantly upgrade weapons etc. Reminds me of Fallout and Borderlands in various ways.

Obviously not an in depth review, but it's finally a game, the summer sucked for new games. I'm gonna get tons of play time out of it while I wait for the big hitters to release.
              I see. The first review I read gave it a 6/10, and I saw another that was like 7.4 or something like that. That led me to believe it was nothing special.

Comment

• kolbywhite28
                Practice Squad
                • Sep 2011

Dead island is overrated. I resent buying it after a few days of its release.

Comment

• roushmartin6
                  Football Immortal
                  • May 2007

Fun as heck playing with your friends!
                  sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

• Jermz79
                    Starter
                    • Jun 2005

I got it last night, played from around 9pm until 1am - PS3

Graphics - Definitely not the worst, but not the greatest either. The island view is spectacular, going up to a high point such as the lighthouse and looking around is a thing of beauty. the graphics lack a bit of quality when you start getting up close and personal with the Zombies, they sometimes look a bit clunky. Overall the Graphics I'd give them a 8/10

Mechanics - Character movement and attack system could definitely have used a little more work, fighting a zombie off sometimes felt robotic and I definitely think they should have spent more time refining the driving system. I got the chance to use a truck last night and while it was fun as heck to plow over zombies it was quite annoying trying to steer the "boxy" truck. I label it "boxy" as that's what it felt like to me, like I was stuck in a box. Mechanics overall I'd give them 7-7.5/10

Gameplay - Who doesn't like killin Zombies? If that was all you had to do in this game it would still be Winner Winner Chicken Dinner in my opinion, but the great part is that is not all you have to do! There is actually a story line, and plenty of missions to complete. You can start one mission, and along the way run into other survivors and start little side missions for them as well, definitely nonlinear when it comes to following the story. You can also just explore and kill some Zombies! There are collectables to find such as Recordings, Fact books and ID Cards along the way for those "explorer" type gamers as well. Overall Gameplay I'd give it 10/10

Weapons - Shovels, Pipes, Paddles, Cleavers, Nail Spiked Bats, Bats with a Saw blade attached (if you pre-ordered), and Molotov Coctails are there to start with and this is what I like!!! I heard a review on you tube the other day and the kid said this is not a game where you will strap a Chain saw to a (personal stimualtion product for the female gender) and a grocery cart and run wild and kill zombies ... NO Dead Island tries to stay realistic in the sense that you use the environment around you as weapons. You are on the beach with some Kayaks, Grab a Paddle. You are in a warehouse, grab a Pipe, run by a cooking area in the hotel area, grab a cleaver!! There are some guns from what I can tell but I have yet to get one, and don't really care to get one either ... I want to stick a Zombie in the head with my Nail Spiked Bat!!! Also with the weapons you have to pay attention to use, the more you use them the more they degrade and need repairs. Repairs, Upgrades and Modifications can be done at workbenches around the island. Got some Barbed Wire and a Pipe? You may have a new weapon!! Overall Weapons are a stout 10/10!!

Characters - There are 4 different characters to choose from, each has their own special abilities and as you go along in the game and gain XP you can upgrade those abilities. In my opinion this is going to give the replay factor a huge boost because while the story won't change, the way you play the game could based on which character you choose. To start off I chose the "Jack of all Trades" character Logan an ex-football star who is on vacation on the island when things go bad! Overall I'd give the Character selection a 10/10 - there is a character for everyone!!

Co-Op - Had two of my buddies on from CoD last night and we had an absolute blast in the Co-Op mode. Voice Chat was smooth, transitions from single player to Co-Op was flawless and having some extra help from friends is a plus on some of the missions. you don't have to stay together unless you are doing a mission and have to go get something or give something to/from someone, in order to get an item you have to be together. One thing I found a little annoying with Co-Op mode is while all the collectables are there for everyone to grab, the other items such as Weapons, cash and various items here and there are not .. once one person grabs the item it's gone so it made searching for weapons a little tedious but I guess it lends to the "realism" in a sense as well! Co-Op overall I'd give a 8.5-9/10 very little I would change!

Overall I'd say the game is definitely cool. It's a nice change of pace game from the war based FPS such as CoD and I could easily see getting 40-50 hours of gameplay if not more if you include playing with each different character in sinlge play and then adding in Co-Op mode!!

I tried to be as thourough in my review as I could based on the amount of time I have played the game but as always, you can't please everyone so I'm sure there will be others that disagree and that is fine. Each person has their own taste in entertainment. If anyone has any other questions to ask on what I thought about the game post them up and I'll do my best to answer!

Dead Island gets a :thumb::thumb: from me!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hoserman117
                      Pwnin' Nubz
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                      I see. The first review I read gave it a 6/10, and I saw another that was like 7.4 or something like that. That led me to believe it was nothing special.
                      IGN gave it an 8.0 and Gametrailers gave it an 8.5, those are generally the only two sites who's reviews I care about,

Comment

• Jermz79
                        Starter
                        • Jun 2005

Jermz79gamereviews.me - gave it a 8.91 ...
                        of course what do I know though :-(
                        sigpic

Comment

• BroncosTX77
                          Rainman
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jermz79 View Post
                          Jermz79gamereviews.me - gave it a 8.91 ...
                          of course what do I know though :-(
                          I ahfta agree with all u posted but maybe lower mechanics to a 6. Controls are clunky and can get a bit irritating, but that could just be me and not playing a "real' console in years lol.

I let my 4 year old daughter play some and she starts squealing look i squashed his head like a grape!

Comment

• Jermz79
                            Starter
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
                            I ahfta agree with all u posted but maybe lower mechanics to a 6. Controls are clunky and can get a bit irritating, but that could just be me and not playing a "real' console in years lol.

I let my 4 year old daughter play some and she starts squealing look i squashed his head like a grape!

I couldn't go as low as a 6, I play a lot of console games and while the controls are not the best they are definitely not the worst I've played either.
                            I'd say a for sure 7 but possibly a 6.5 dependant on what you classify as mechanics.

and why in the world would you let your 4 year old daughter play this game? LOL
                            sigpic

Comment

• BroncosTX77
                              Rainman
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jermz79 View Post
                              I couldn't go as low as a 6, I play a lot of console games and while the controls are not the best they are definitely not the worst I've played either.
                              I'd say a for sure 7 but possibly a 6.5 dependant on what you classify as mechanics.

and why in the world would you let your 4 year old daughter play this game? LOL
                              she sleeps with a Freddy Kruger doll~

its just a game.

In the end she gets bored and goes back to her barbie/little pet shop tea parties~

Comment

Working...
                              X