Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    831

    Raiders' Janikowski charged with misdemeanor battery, false imprisonment

    By Gary Peterson
    Contra Costa Times
    Posted: 09/16/2011 05:04:06 PM PDT
    Updated: 09/16/2011 06:27:14 PM PDT



    Oakland Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski, #11, is the Raiders... ( JOSE CARLOS FAJARDO )


    WALNUT CREEK -- Oakland Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski, who has lived a quiet off-field life the past seven years after a half-decade of routinely showing up on police blotters, has been charged with misdemeanor battery and false imprisonment against a woman in an incident alleged to have occurred last year, according to Contra Costa Superior Court documents.

    Circumstances are unclear. The alleged victim, Syrena Nicholson, did not return messages left on her phone. The Raiders, who flew to Buffalo on Friday for Sunday's game against the Bills, were unavailable for comment.

    What is known comes from court documents in which Nicholson, 36, alleges Janikowski "did unlawfully violate (her) personal liberty" and "did willfully and unlawfully use force and violence upon (her) person" in Walnut Creek on Sept. 24, 2010 -- one day before Janikowski and the Raiders flew to Arizona for a game against the Cardinals. No arrest was made at the time; Nicholson, a Berkeley woman, filed her complaint after the fact.

    Attorneys for both parties met in court Thursday for a pretrial conference. No trial date has been set. The charges against Janikowski could result in a maximum of 18 months in jail and a $3,000 fine.

    Janikowski, 33, a native of Poland, was arrested four times between 1998 and 2000, during his time at Florida State University -- three times in connection with barroom altercations. He pleaded no contest to one charge, was acquitted on another and charges were dropped on the third.

    He also was arrested for underage alcohol possession, to which he pleaded no contest and paid $215 in court costs.

    The Raiders selected Janikowski in the first round of the 2000 NFL draft. Shortly before reporting to training camp, he was arrested in Tallahassee, Fla., for possession of the date-rape drug GHB. He was acquitted in 2001.

    He was arrested for reckless driving in June 2002, and for DUI four months later. He pleaded no contest to the latter and received three years probation. In 2003 he was arrested after a fight outside a Walnut Creek restaurant. The charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence.

    Janikowski is the Raiders' all-time leading scorer with 1,153 points. He tied an NFL record with a 63-yard field goal in Monday night's season opening win at Denver.

    101010109 char

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    8,058
    Sea bass was a first round pick by the Raiders, LOL.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14,751
    I think this is really sketchy at best.

    The woman claims that Janikowski held her against her will and beat her.

    But, rather than pressing charges within a reasonable ammount of time afterwards (for instance, why didn't she press charges on Sept. 25, 2010, a day after the alleged assault.

    Why is it she instead decides to file charges nearly a year later? Further, she only files these charges after Janikowski ties an NFL record 63 yard field goal? Or, was it the fact that he recently signed a 4 year $16 million contract?

    I wonder, did seeing Janikowski kick a 63 yard field goal or him sign that $16 million contract suddenly make this woman think:

    "Hey, that reminds me, he beat the living crap out of me a year ago. I really should do something about that."

    The simple fact that she waited all this time to file charges shows the woman's alterior motives and makes me doubt any validity to her claims.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    montreal Canada
    Posts
    7,614
    LOL they drafted him in the first round ? And he is their all time leading scorer ?!?!?!


    Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
    Sea bass was a first round pick by the Raiders, LOL.
    Ya, you wouldn't know, solely being a college football fan at the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
    LOL they drafted him in the first round ? And he is their all time leading scorer ?!?!?!
    Yea, not that uncommon.

    Jason Elam is the Broncos all-time leading scorer, with 1,786 points. He also holds the record for games played as a Bronco, with 236

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    montreal Canada
    Posts
    7,614
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
    Ya, you wouldn't know, solely being a college football fan at the time.



    Yea, not that uncommon.
    Enh... my bad then just seemed odd...

    BUT who drafts a kicker in the first round...


    Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,159
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
    Enh... my bad then just seemed odd...

    BUT who drafts a kicker in the first round...
    Al... c'mon son!!

    In hindsight he wasn't THAT bad of a pick now when you see most of the players that were chosen after him in the 1st are out of the league now or washed up... all while still kicking 60+ yarders 10 years later. Like last Monday, the difference was 3 points.
    Last edited by RaiderFanSD; 09-17-2011 at 10:36 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Magical Land of Narnia
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I think this is really sketchy at best.

    The woman claims that Janikowski held her against her will and beat her.

    But, rather than pressing charges within a reasonable ammount of time afterwards (for instance, why didn't she press charges on Sept. 25, 2010, a day after the alleged assault.

    Why is it she instead decides to file charges nearly a year later? Further, she only files these charges after Janikowski ties an NFL record 63 yard field goal? Or, was it the fact that he recently signed a 4 year $16 million contract?

    I wonder, did seeing Janikowski kick a 63 yard field goal or him sign that $16 million contract suddenly make this woman think:

    "Hey, that reminds me, he beat the living crap out of me a year ago. I really should do something about that."

    The simple fact that she waited all this time to file charges shows the woman's alterior motives and makes me doubt any validity to her claims.
    I'd have to agree, there must be plenty that has not been revealed yet.

    Looking back on it I've seen MUCH worse picks in the first round.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    montreal Canada
    Posts
    7,614
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
    Al... c'mon son!!

    In hindsight he wasn't THAT bad of a pick now when you see most of the players that were chosen after him in the 1st are out of the league now or washed up... all while still kicking 60+ yarders 10 years later. Like last Monday, the difference was 3 points.
    True but its still odd to draft a kicker in the first round, they probably could of gotten him in later rounds


    Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •