Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thing I loved about Elway is when he would be scrambling and then out of no where he'd throw a friggin' rocket down the field and it looked so easy. It was a thing of beauty.

Been a fan since 85, Elway definatly had some of this same Magic at the end of games.

Took Elway a little bit of time to get going fully to.

GO BRONCOS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B]Favorite Broncos Ever = [/B]
    - Elway
    - Atwater
    - T.Davis
    - Sharpe
    - Ed Mccaffrey
    - Rod Smith
    - Champ Bailey

Elway was forced to do a lot on his own due to no running game until Terrell Davis arrived.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Starbroncs View Post
    Im only 23 years old and started watching when I was 9 so I didnt get to watch much of elways career, only his last 3 or 4 years.

I know he was known as the comeback kid and was always winning close games but was it anything like this? Did he play bad the entire game and then just turn it on in the final 5 minutes of the game when he was really young.

These games cant be healthy for me, every game is coming down to the final moments.
    Like others have said lots of ups and lots of downs. But if it was close u knew if Elway got the ball it was game on. See what gets lost with the way the NFL is now is watching a guy grow. Everyone wants a HOF right out of the draft, but truth is u have to earn it and work for it. Thru the good and bad. As NFL fans we give up on a guy after 1 bad game let alone a season. Elway was a complete body of work. To have see the legend being written was like riding the biggest, fastest, highest, finest roller coaster. The thrills from both big wins and big losses are memorable and to have seen them is something I wish I could give every "younger" fan. Even the San Fran SB, the gut wrenching pain, the embarrassment of going to school the next day, is something that let u know u were all in as a fan. As much as I hated the loss, it was necessary for the legend. To carry that until Mr.B said, " This one's for JOHN!!!!" it was necessary for his story. The sad part is many newer QB's won't get the chance to have their story written, because fans are too impatient. So I say enjoy what u are seeing because 20 years from now u will be responding to someone asking about the legend of Tebow.
    #swapping

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Like others have said lots of ups and lots of downs. But if it was close u knew if Elway got the ball it was game on. See what gets lost with the way the NFL is now is watching a guy grow. Everyone wants a HOF right out of the draft, but truth is u have to earn it and work for it. Thru the good and bad. As NFL fans we give up on a guy after 1 bad game let alone a season. Elway was a complete body of work. To have see the legend being written was like riding the biggest, fastest, highest, finest roller coaster. The thrills from both big wins and big losses are memorable and to have seen them is something I wish I could give every "younger" fan. Even the San Fran SB, the gut wrenching pain, the embarrassment of going to school the next day, is something that let u know u were all in as a fan. As much as I hated the loss, it was necessary for the legend. To carry that until Mr.B said, " This one's for JOHN!!!!" it was necessary for his story. The sad part is many newer QB's won't get the chance to have their story written, because fans are too impatient. So I say enjoy what u are seeing because 20 years from now u will be responding to someone asking about the legend of Tebow.
    Dude.....that gave me chills.

been a broncos fan since about 75/76....and i remember pulling my hair out over elway but it was different...with elway they told you he was can;t miss...but he frustrated you with ints and incompletions but you knew eventually he would get better...with all the tebow detractors they make you believe he can't get better so you just don't know

I remember Elway being pretty bad his rookie year...easily as bad as Tebow, as far as completing passes...Elway could not consistently get the offense to go down the field...but people weren't nearly as harsh on him because they knew he just needed to grow, and there were a handfull of drives where he showed flashes of what he would become. He didn't have the "throwing mechanics" issues Tebow has...although he did struggle for a few years with being able to throw a shorter "touch" pass...he just zinged it full bore every throw.

But yeah..it was just like this today....we always knew we had a chance in a game simply because he was on the field...and it wasn't necessarily that he played bad all game then stepped it up ...he just simply elevated his play higher than whatever it was at, when he needed too.

I remember over his career, several last minute drives falling short not because of him, but because someone else botched the play, or the defense gives up an 80 yard bomb with 3 seconds left or something like that...he really had more than 47 comebacks, as far as doing what he needed to do to get them back the lead in the last 2 minutes.

I think tebows ability to manage games and move the offense will improve as his O-line matures and...especially his WR's develop...they need serious improvement.

When that happens...we can start talking about winning at the playoff level.

its coming

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Yeah, I remember similar stuff when Elway was young. Why I fell in love with Elway was because you always knew no matter how bad it looked, as long as we were within a score or two going into the fourth quarter we still had a chance.

He of course become much more polished in his 30's.
    and it was the same circumstances, bad game planning early and free elway late, difference is Elways was also way overconfident and threw a lot of pick as well, but I wouldnt trade another player in history for Elway, in my mind he was the greatest ever.
    GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!

I have been a fan since 1960. I couldn't watch all of the games because of the way television was broadcast back then. I can honestly say that I watched every game John Elway played at the Pro level. He was the most frustrating, and yet exhilarating qb you ever had the pleasure to watch (sound familiar? LOL). He had a lot of problems in the beginning. Like it has been said, he was a body of work that lasted 16 years and only in the last few did he have a ligit complete team that could win the SB.

Tim reminds me a lot of that beginning. We have to remember, each of these guys are different. There will never be another Elway, but I will predict that there will never be another Tebow either. Viva la difference!
    Been in love with the Broncos since 1960!
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=366922&dateline=12622  85889
    I was 9 years old .... I hear the thunder again!

Tebow Army number 69
    Adoptees: thatkidhunt, Peanut, CanDB, Gatorgirl (so far)

Democracy.. Is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ... Is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin

Tebow does it in a little bit different way than the GOAT, but yeah it's still exhilarating.

Open up the dictionary and look up conservative and there was a picture of coach Reeves. I remember the tension between Coach and Elway thru those years. It's still premature but for the first time since Elway has played, I had that "feeling" something miraculous was going to happen. The Come back! It's hard to deny some of the intangibles these 2 QB's share. I really hope Tebow is given time to develop, the kid's already setting records!

Quote Originally Posted by Starbroncs View Post
    Im only 23 years old and started watching when I was 9 so I didnt get to watch much of elways career, only his last 3 or 4 years.

I know he was known as the comeback kid and was always winning close games but was it anything like this? Did he play bad the entire game and then just turn it on in the final 5 minutes of the game when he was really young.

These games cant be healthy for me, every game is coming down to the final moments.
    Ahhh, what you dont realise is; you are actually slowly but surely becoming addicted to that feeling. Sure, now when a good dose is pumping thru your veins, you think everything is normal...but let me tell you, my young friend...3 weeks of Orton back under center & you'd be robbing the corner liquor store just to rent a DVD of The Drive. I swear its true! There is NOTHING like the feeling of a 4th quarter comeback especially when people are rooting against your QB vehemently (like they often did vs. Elway & they permanantly do vs. Tebow).

To the Q of whether Elway was crap for 55 minutes then a beast in the final 5 minutes...no, not really. With the games under his belt so far, I'd say that Tebow at his best isnt as good as Elway at his worst (I think that will change, but I dont care...just keep the fixes coming). I do recall Elway's wretched start to his career & I stand by my statement.

BUT!

He delivers that one thing I need...*eyetwitch*...the rush of a win that didnt look like was gonna happen. The improbable comeback rush. I'm hopelessly addicted to it, ever since Elway days.

Now you are addicted to it, too (just wait for your 1st withdraw symptom, you'll know I'm right)

Tebow is my football crack dealer & I thank God for him!
    "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    I recall a game in 1985, dont remember who they played, but Duke threw 4 INT's in the FIRST HALF!! I thought for sure he was going to be benched come the third quarter. Nope, Reeves kept him in and we won the game in O.T. The Duke was a gunslinger, the heart of an assasin.
    the duke?? That would be John Wayne, not John Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by missstatebronco View Post
    Been watching since 1984...yea Elway had some really bad games early in his career....Tebow and Elway just have "it" for QB....there was even media talk during Elway's 1'st yr he picked the wrong sport and should go to baseball.
    Man does that bring back memories. This is why I laugh when I hear the criticism surrounding Tebow. Sure, it's worse with Tebow for the obvious reason, but Elway threw a lot of picks his first starts and looked like a joke. And I'm being kind. lol
    [B]11/22/11[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Yeah, I remember similar stuff when Elway was young. Why I fell in love with Elway was because you always knew no matter how bad it looked, as long as we were within a score or two going into the fourth quarter we still had a chance.

^^. This. With Elway even if we were stinking it up you didn't quit watching because anything could happen. That combined with the fact that we had a chance of winning every time the Broncos took the field. We are seeing this Mile High Magic once again - its awesome!