Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,626

    Mike Carlson - Denver D 'a few pieces away'

    Most of you won't know who this is. He is an analyst on Channel 4 in England which shows SNF. He is widely regarded as being the best we have here. and he is American (There are SOME good English one's lol).

    but anyway, I was watching the game last night and he went through all the games and he said that the Denver D is really good now and only a few pieces away from being a top D.

    He doesn't hand out compliments all the time and is normally pretty honest so I thought that was interesting.

    Maybe the D is starting to get respect and maybe next season we can take it to the top 5 level.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Across the Pond
    Posts
    4,712
    A I'd say we're a penetrating UT and another good CB away from having something pretty special.

    - ★ -
    2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,626
    Quote Originally Posted by sSync View Post
    A I'd say we're a penetrating UT and another good CB away from having something pretty special.
    Yeah. he didn't really go into it, just mentioned some more youth in the secondary to help.

    I STILL think we need a DT who can penetrate, although McBean and Thomas have been MUCH MUCH MUCH better than I thought they would.

    I would like a young CB as well although don't think this is a massive need. I think Champ could go 3,4,5 more years and I think Goody is a decent #2, along with slot options C Harris and S Thompson.

    I only have a CB in my round one mock because if value, I don't see a top round one DT

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,182
    Quote Originally Posted by sSync View Post
    A I'd say we're a penetrating UT and another good CB away from having something pretty special.
    I think we still need that ballhawking type Safety. Moore was supposed to be that but he hasn't yet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,626
    Quote Originally Posted by one5beast View Post
    I think we still need that ballhawking type Safety. Moore was supposed to be that but he hasn't yet.
    I was tempted to mention the S position but Moore and Carter are both rookies so I think we will show a little faith with them

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,407
    Another run stuffer a pass rushing specialist a safety or two one that can fill Dawkins role and is good in coverage. Also another starting CB.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    2,340
    I just hope we can retain Dennis Allen for at least one more season....he is a bright young defensive mind that seemingly will be a head coach before too long, but I would like him to give us at least one more season to finally get some continuity!
    thanks Freyaka

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    88
    Goodman is done. He should be cut at the end of the year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Across the Pond
    Posts
    4,712
    Quote Originally Posted by one5beast View Post
    I think we still need that ballhawking type Safety. Moore was supposed to be that but he hasn't yet.
    Gotta give him a chance, it's still early. But I'm keeping an eye on the S position too.

    - ★ -
    2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,858
    IMO if we got Terrel Thomas in FA and Devon Still in the draft, we would have something special here. I'd like to see what Moore can do with another off season.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,626
    It takes a safety time, He will come good, Polumalu hardly started his rookie year.

    Dennis Allen has done a great job and we need to keep him around for a long time.

    I don't mind Goody as a number 2, I think he is bashed a little unfairly here and is a decent cover corner. What does annoy me is his tackling.

    I would probably draft Dre Kirkpatrick if we get the chance to take over from him.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Across the Pond
    Posts
    4,712
    I like Kirkpatrick too, but I haven't really done all my research yet so that might change.

    - ★ -
    2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,626
    Quote Originally Posted by sSync View Post
    I like Kirkpatrick too, but I haven't really done all my research yet so that might change.
    I think my draft research might have to change. 4 weeks ago I was looking at the top 5 players in the draft.......... I might need to look a little deeper now lol

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I 70 Westbound
    Posts
    7,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncos724 View Post
    I just hope we can retain Dennis Allen for at least one more season....he is a bright young defensive mind that seemingly will be a head coach before too long, but I would like him to give us at least one more season to finally get some continuity!
    I would be very surprised if Allen goes soon..
    when he was hired I imagine there was a discussion about the need for
    continuity on this team..
    I would think Fox hired a guy who was willing to stay put for a while.

    Yes.. I expect Allen to stay here with Fox....
    he would be very selfish/self serving to leave so soon.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

    Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Most of you won't know who this is. He is an analyst on Channel 4 in England which shows SNF. He is widely regarded as being the best we have here. and he is American (There are SOME good English one's lol).

    but anyway, I was watching the game last night and he went through all the games and he said that the Denver D is really good now and only a few pieces away from being a top D.

    He doesn't hand out compliments all the time and is normally pretty honest so I thought that was interesting.

    Maybe the D is starting to get respect and maybe next season we can take it to the top 5 level.
    To be a big time defense we need 2 essential pieces that we currently don't have, and maybe a couple subtractions.

    We need a big-time safety and Dawkins needs to walk off into the sunset. He can still hit, but he is almost useless in passing situations... a bit player at best. I thought we should've made a play for Eric Weddle this past offseason, but our cap situation wasn't favorable. But when the pass rush is your best weapon, you want ball-hawking safeties (not necessarily big hitters) because you're going to get a lot of sprayed throws off the back foot.

    I still want to get younger, deeper, and bigger with the interior. Bunkley is a short term solution, and I would not have him in our longterm plans.

    Outside of that, we probably should start getting younger at CB, and Champ will eventually have to settle into a role as an elder statesman, and eventually he'll be a #2 corner, by 2013 at the latest. Corners do have better longevity than most positions, as Deion, Woodson (as a safety), Ty Law, Green, all were still effective into their late 30s and beyond.
    Sent from my Human Cent-iPad

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •