• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I hate to be that guy that just bags on the refs but I felt like the last two games they were letting Golden State be more physical on defense than they were Toronto. Maybe that’s because I only watched the Toronto broadcasts and they mentioned it quite a bit but I’ve also felt that the refs were influencing games throughout the entire playoffs whether it be for ratings or personal bias or whatever the case may be. Nonetheless the officials not calling a foul on Cousins for tripping Lowry which led to the fast break Klay got hurt on is the reason this series is over. Maybe Toronto would’ve closed out anyway but there was no shot once Klay went down.

The injuries shouldn’t take away from what they accomplished though. They beat some of the biggest contenders in Milwaukee and Philadelphia this season both of whom I actually think have the better team on paper. Kawhi is an all time great and absolutely should be in the conversation for best player in the world. And even if he leaves this offseason for LA or wherever, Toronto should still be excited that they have such a talented player in Siakam who is still relatively new to the game of basketball and quite honestly has the potential to rival some of the best in the game.
    Beast.....I don't want to make a case against the refs in this series, but there are a couple of stats I've heard that make me wonder a wee bit. The one issue many of us have is that Kawhi, for a good part of the season, did not get calls his way.....and some believe it's because he is so strong that when guys run into him, he does not bounce. I respect him for that.

Being an NBA ref is not easy. So many calls that could go either way. My pet peeve about the NBA refs is the continued "travelling" and "carrying" or "palming" that they typically allow star players to get away with. Sometimes I swear a stud player takes about 4 steps!!

Now, if you're a lesser player, expect the whistle to blow!

Comment

• Peanut
      ModNut
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
      Side note, as a Nugget fan I’m ecstatic Jeremy Lin got a ring while Melo is still ring-less.
      I'm not a Nugget fan, but I agree with this.
      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

More important news.....

Drake and Curry had a nice FaceTime chat after the game.

On a more relevant note:

How many of you are a fan of Doris Burke? I sure am. She brings something special to the game coverage. I love her steady, calm, intelligent questions. And I can tell that most players respect her big time!
        Last edited by CanDB; 06-14-2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Switching to the draft now....(though I will be watching the parade on Monday) I am not well versed with the young guns, but do you folks see Williamson, Morant and Barrett going 1-2-3, to NO, Memphis and NY? I don't mind that scenario, because being biased, I want canuck RJ to end up in New York, close to home, and in a pretty vibrant location.

Overall draft thoughts?

Comment

• bronx_2003
            Banned User
            • Oct 2003

I don't watch much NBA but I watched all of the finals and it was pretty fun. The season is too long to maintain my interest but I enjoy watching the odd playoff game and then all of the finals.

I was rooting for the Raptors and was impressed by their physicality on D. Leonard and Lowry were the stars and were terrific but they had good support all round.

I have to be honest though and say that the injuries were just got too much for the Warriors to overcome. I thought they showed excellent fight throughout the series but the reality is that you just cannot keep losing your best players and expect to beat a good team.

If KD was fit then GS would of won the series pretty easily IMO, we saw the impact he had in just one quarter he was out there. Even with the injuries it looked like GS would win game 6 and take it to a decider but Klay Thompson going down was just one injury too many to overcome and effectively sealed the series for Toronto.

Saying all that it was not Toronto's fault that they faced a depleted team and they deserve congratulations for a terrific season and winning their first title.

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
              I don't watch much NBA but I watched all of the finals and it was pretty fun. The season is too long to maintain my interest but I enjoy watching the odd playoff game and then all of the finals.

I was rooting for the Raptors and was impressed by their physicality on D. Leonard and Lowry were the stars and were terrific but they had good support all round.

I have to be honest though and say that the injuries were just got too much for the Warriors to overcome. I thought they showed excellent fight throughout the series but the reality is that you just cannot keep losing your best players and expect to beat a good team.

If KD was fit then GS would of won the series pretty easily IMO, we saw the impact he had in just one quarter he was out there. Even with the injuries it looked like GS would win game 6 and take it to a decider but Klay Thompson going down was just one injury too many to overcome and effectively sealed the series for Toronto.

Saying all that it was not Toronto's fault that they faced a depleted team and they deserve congratulations for a terrific season and winning their first title.
              Bronx, I think you make a really good assessment. And I respect those thoughts. Can I try to bend your ear on a few facts that help me defend the victory, not the loss:
              1) The Raptors had a better season record
              2) They did so with Leonard only playing 60 games
              3) GS had a very healthy KD and Klay, and though Curry missed games, he did play more than Leonard (69 vs 60)
              4) The Raptors beat them both times during the season, once minus Leonard, and that was in Oakland.
              5) The Raptors used all their skill/coaching/strategy to knock off the #1 seed - The Bucks....winning 4 straight to seal the deal.
              6) And even though hurting, how is it that GS lost all 3 series games in Oakland (all 4 during the year)?

I am a Raptors fan. But they won this championship, not just in a series against a team with some unfortunate injuries. And bottom line, GS did not win, and did not know how to beat The Raptors all season. Having said that, KD and Klay are ominous opponents. But The Raptors have the trophy, and their story was more about the journey then the hobbled Warriors. IFS don't cut it. Sure, bad refereeing would be a big time factor for me, if it caused one team to win over another. But that was not the case. The Warriors had some bad luck, no question....but in most sports we simply say "next man up." I mean, if a next man up like undrafted Fred VanVleet hadn't done his job, maybe The Raptors walk away without the crown.

But I get your comments and those of others. Objectively speaking, GS has more star power when healthy. Not a good year for them in the end, and I hope KD and Klay get better faster than anticipated.

:thumb:
              Last edited by CanDB; 06-15-2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• ELWAY421
                Football Immortal
                • Dec 2007

Anthony Davis traded to the Lakers for Lonzo Ball, Ingram, and Josh Hart, plus 3 first rounders! ��

Comment

• bronx_2003
                  Banned User
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  Bronx, I think you make a really good assessment. And I respect those thoughts. Can I try to bend your ear on a few facts that help me defend the victory, not the loss:
                  1) The Raptors had a better season record
                  2) They did so with Leonard only playing 60 games
                  3) GS had a very healthy KD and Klay, and though Curry missed games, he did play more than Leonard (69 vs 60)
                  4) The Raptors beat them both times during the season, once minus Leonard, and that was in Oakland.
                  5) The Raptors used all their skill/coaching/strategy to knock off the #1 seed - The Bucks....winning 4 straight to seal the deal.
                  6) And even though hurting, how is it that GS lost all 3 series games in Oakland (all 4 during the year)?

I am a Raptors fan. But they won this championship, not just in a series against a team with some unfortunate injuries. And bottom line, GS did not win, and did not know how to beat The Raptors all season. Having said that, KD and Klay are ominous opponents. But The Raptors have the trophy, and their story was more about the journey then the hobbled Warriors. IFS don't cut it. Sure, bad refereeing would be a big time factor for me, if it caused one team to win over another. But that was not the case. The Warriors had some bad luck, no question....but in most sports we simply say "next man up." I mean, if a next man up like undrafted Fred VanVleet hadn't done his job, maybe The Raptors walk away without the crown.

But I get your comments and those of others. Objectively speaking, GS has more star power when healthy. Not a good year for them in the end, and I hope KD and Klay get better faster than anticipated.

:thumb:
                  Very fair comments and I appreciate the points you made, as a casual fan I was not aware of many of them. I saw a few games early in the season and the team who really stood out to me (without knowing anything about any of the teams) were the Bucks.... so to knock them out of the playoffs, especially going against home court, was a very impressive achievement.

To go 4-0 in Oakland is a big sign that you are the rightful and deserving champs.

I think the injuries to the Warriors during the finals hindered them and they showed great fighting qualities to win game 5, but Toronto proved to be the best and rightful winners of the crown.

Congrats

Comment

• broncolee
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
                    Anthony Davis traded to the Lakers for Lonzo Ball, Ingram, and Josh Hart, plus 3 first rounders! ��
                    Disappointing that teams cave to these kind of demands.

However, that seems like a nice haul for a player who hasn’t consistently gotten his team to the playoffs.
                    Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• ELWAY421
                      Football Immortal
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

However, that seems like a nice haul for a player who hasn’t consistently gotten his team to the playoffs.
                      New GM for the Pelicans who probably took the best deal that was available. Can't believe the Lakers didn't have to give up Kuzma. I just read that Kyrie hasn't ruled out the Lakers or Knicks amid speculation he's signing with the Nets. The Lakers are guaranteed to land a good free agent now with this trade going down imo. I'm a Cavs fan, I don't care what Lebron does now. I'll say this though, the Pelicans will end up a better ball club if Zion is what people say he is. They will get Zion, and then I'm assuming they get the 4th pick as well, as one of the firsts. Wow!

Comment

• CanDB
                        Football Immortal
                        • Mar 2008

New GM for the Pelicans who probably took the best deal that was available. Can't believe the Lakers didn't have to give up Kuzma. I just read that Kyrie hasn't ruled out the Lakers or Knicks amid speculation he's signing with the Nets. The Lakers are guaranteed to land a good free agent now with this trade going down imo. I'm a Cavs fan, I don't care what Lebron does now. I'll say this though, the Pelicans will end up a better ball club if Zion is what people say he is. They will get Zion, and then I'm assuming they get the 4th pick as well, as one of the firsts. Wow!
                        Imagine if NO could make a deal to secure RJ along with his partner Zion? Imagine the future if they could land those 2 studs!!!

Comment

• Spice 1
                          Football Immortal
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Consistently banged up, is what concerns me. Regardless, NBA learned a lesson from Toronto this year. If you can get an elite player, go for it. Screw plan B.

I like that they didn't give up Kuzma. Ingram has a lot of developing to do, and Lonzo's just not that good, idt. The draft picks is somewhat absurd, but probably the right move. Giving up picks in lieu of Kuzma makes sense for where LeBron is at. Kyrie would be wise to rejoin LeBron now.

So hey, as dumb as the Lakers have been, Lonzo, Lopez, Russell, etc. This was a move they probably had to make, and they got it done.

Comment

• ELWAY421
                            Football Immortal
                            • Dec 2007

Imagine if NO could make a deal to secure RJ along with his partner Zion? Imagine the future if they could land those 2 studs!!!
                            The future is bright in the swamp! Can't wait.

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                            Consistently banged up, is what concerns me. Regardless, NBA learned a lesson from Toronto this year. If you can get an elite player, go for it. Screw plan B.

I like that they didn't give up Kuzma. Ingram has a lot of developing to do, and Lonzo's just not that good, idt. The draft picks is somewhat absurd, but probably the right move. Giving up picks in lieu of Kuzma makes sense for where LeBron is at. Kyrie would be wise to rejoin LeBron now.

So hey, as dumb as the Lakers have been, Lonzo, Lopez, Russell, etc. This was a move they probably had to make, and they got it done.
                            I agree, Lonzo is just average at best. One other thing that I'm hearing is the Lakers don't have the cap right now for a max player. They could be in a bind. There are some ways they can open up one max spot but I don't see them getting Kemba, and Butler imo. They are definitely going to need some shooters, and or role players 4 thru 7.

Comment

• CanDB
                              Football Immortal
                              • Mar 2008

My question to all The Denver fans....with the potential one year decline of The Warriors, do you not feel like your team has a real shot at going the distance next year? GS only had 3 more victories during the regular season, and the odds are that KD will not be around (injured and/or traded), and Klay could be out for an extended period as well. I have a load of respect for the power of GS, but does it not appear that someone else will win the West next season?

Comment

• Canmore
                                Do. Do not...No Try!
                                • May 2007

My question to all The Denver fans....with the potential one year decline of The Warriors, do you not feel like your team has a real shot at going the distance next year? GS only had 3 more victories during the regular season, and the odds are that KD will not be around (injured and/or traded), and Klay could be out for an extended period as well. I have a load of respect for the power of GS, but does it not appear that someone else will win the West next season?
                                That would be the Lakers.
                                sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Working...
                                X