Page 158 of 166 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 2480

Thread: NBA Thread

  1. #2356
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,585
    Welp.

    "It's an Achilles injury. ... He'll have an MRI tomorrow."

    I was shocked they let him play. Now he may miss all of next year and maybe more. What a shame. This goes beyond my Knick fandom of hoping he came to The Mecca. This really sucks for Durant.

  2. #2357
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,230
    Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Did you guys see KD's calf pop? And, then he immediately grabbed his Achilles. Not a good sign at all. Some of the fans in the building were cheering when he went down. Even Lowry was trying to get them to stop.


    Raptors let one get away. I'm expecting game 7 in Toronto. #2 is going to have to play better in order to win.
    I think Kawhi is going to be a little more aggressive early in game 6. I don't see Kerr playing small ball early again, and I don't see him letting Cousins switch on the pick late again either. That allowed Gasol and Lowry to really get rolling. I'm just amazed by how good the Siakam/Ibaka combo has been. Ibaka has been incredible.

  3. #2358
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,193
    I expect the raptors to close this out next game. I thought they had it this game but credit to Klay and the defense on putting the clamps on Kawhi after his run to take the lead.

  4. #2359
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    31,559
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I expect the raptors to close this out next game. I thought they had it this game but credit to Klay and the defense on putting the clamps on Kawhi after his run to take the lead.
    A few thoughts:

    1) If someone had told me (a while back) that The Raps would be up 3 to 2, I'd be all in!
    2) If someone had told me that The Raps would be 5 and 2 against GS this entire season, I would have been surprised.
    3) If someone had told me that The Raps would be 3 and 0 in Oakland this season, I'd be shocked.

    Last night's game could have gone either way. The Raps lost their chance to wrap it up, but that's life. If anything I think The Raptors will get back their focus. I can see 3 of them getting hot again, and when that happens, they tend to win.

    I also believe it was a huge mistake to play Durant. He could have injured himself worse than before. I appreciate his effort and will. But I sure hope he and others are not taking medical support to mask the pain. That is more of a desperation move, if so, and not a very smart one.

    As for this being about USA vs Canada, based on an article I read a week or two ago, only 3 US states (in terms of polling) are pulling for GS.

  5. #2360
    broncolee is offline
    Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anywhere I want on 18 wheels
    Posts
    8,115
    I will say that the Raptors might have a chance because some key role players for the Warriors are hurt.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!

  6. #2361
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    31,559
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I will say that the Raptors might have a chance because some key role players for the Warriors are hurt.
    You sound like a number of the media, who are not familiar with The Raptors. First, they did not give The Raptors a chance. Then they said that Durant was out. Then it was other injuries, meanwhile Leonard and Lowry have been playing with injury for weeks. It is always about GS, and their swagger, and their injuries. What about the fact that The Raptors, thus far, have been the better team this year. 5 wins in 7 games. 3 for 3 in Oakland.

    Why not say, "The Raptors, if they win, are deserving?" What about, "great D, talented players and darn good coaching....and a variety of potential scorers each and every game?"

    Hey, I don't mind who you want to win, that's your call. But maybe lets give The Raptors their due, and not bemoan the misfortune of The Warriors. They've been stacked for years, and won a lot without Durant. And yah....The Raptors are hurting too. Not quite as bad, but still hurting. I mean, who's acting and talking like the current champs? Take Klay Thompson, who's gesture the previous game was ridiculous! Now that I've learned more about him, he is not cool.

    One more stat worth considering...(I think I got it correct): In 20 quarters, GS has won just 4.
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-11-2019 at 07:18 AM.

  7. #2362
    broncolee is offline
    Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anywhere I want on 18 wheels
    Posts
    8,115
    Injuries matter, including when analyzing a game.

    Will the Raptors feel any less excited if they win the championship? No

    Should they? No
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!

  8. #2363
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,512
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    You sound like a number of the media, who are not familiar with The Raptors. First, they did not give The Raptors a chance. Then they said that Durant was out. Then it was other injuries, meanwhile Leonard and Lowry have been playing with injury for weeks. It is always about GS, and their swagger, and their injuries. What about the fact that The Raptors, thus far, have been the better team this year. 5 wins in 7 games. 3 for 3 in Oakland.

    Why not say, "The Raptors, if they win, are deserving?" What about, "great D, talented players and darn good coaching....and a variety of potential scorers each and every game?"

    Hey, I don't mind who you want to win, that's your call. But maybe lets give The Raptors their due, and not bemoan the misfortune of The Warriors. They've been stacked for years, and won a lot without Durant. And yah....The Raptors are hurting too. Not quite as bad, but still hurting. I mean, who's acting and talking like the current champs? Take Klay Thompson, who's gesture the previous game was ridiculous! Now that I've learned more about him, he is not cool.

    One more stat worth considering...(I think I got it correct): In 20 quarters, GS has won just 4.
    Obviously no one has sympathy for the Warriors, they have been a bully for years now, they come across arrogant, and are overall unlikable in my opinion. But taking emotion out of it, the adversity the Warriors are facing and have faced in this series isn't even remotely comparable to the Raptors. Sure, the Raptors are banged up, and they are a great basketball team, but they have their best guys available, while the Warriors are without a player who everyone at the very least has as the 3rd best player in the world, most have as number 1. If the Raptors can't stop the Warriors in this series despite the multitude of gifts they have been given, then damn, this Warriors outfit will be certified as the best ever in my opinion.

  9. #2364
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    31,559
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Obviously no one has sympathy for the Warriors, they have been a bully for years now, they come across arrogant, and are overall unlikable in my opinion. But taking emotion out of it, the adversity the Warriors are facing and have faced in this series isn't even remotely comparable to the Raptors. Sure, the Raptors are banged up, and they are a great basketball team, but they have their best guys available, while the Warriors are without a player who everyone at the very least has as the 3rd best player in the world, most have as number 1. If the Raptors can't stop the Warriors in this series despite the multitude of gifts they have been given, then damn, this Warriors outfit will be certified as the best ever in my opinion.
    The Raptors beat the #1 seed in the NBA to get to the finals. No excuses required if they win, or lose. They are hurting, maybe not as much. But that's sports. There is no perfect playing field. To their credit, they beat The Bucks 4 straight, and beat GS both games during the season, 5 of 7 all together, and all 3 in Oakland. Maybe the series will turn, but til this moment, The Raptors have been the better team. But listen, GS is an amazing team minus Durant. They can beat anyone without him.

    If The Raptors win, they deserve it.

    The message some seem to be giving is, if The Raptors win, they were fortunate.....and if GS wins, it's because they are a dynasty. That logic is fine, but not for me. Since when does the dynasty team need everything to work in their favour? Kawhi could hardly dunk a ball without serious pain in part of their last series, and Lowry will likely need thumb surgery....which is probably why he hasn't scored much. No excuses. Play it out. Survivor wins it all.

    BTW...I'll add an uneven playing field factor...The Raptors HC is a rookie, whereas Kerr is one of the best. That's sports. You play with what you got.
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-11-2019 at 01:45 PM.

  10. #2365
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,230
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    The Raptors beat the #1 seed in the NBA to get to the finals. No excuses required if they win, or lose. They are hurting, maybe not as much. But that's sports. There is no perfect playing field. To their credit, they beat The Bucks 4 straight, and beat GS both games during the season, 5 of 7 all together, and all 3 in Oakland. Maybe the series will turn, but til this moment, The Raptors have been the better team. But listen, GS is an amazing team minus Durant. They can beat anyone without him.

    If The Raptors win, they deserve it.

    The message some seem to be giving is, if The Raptors win, they were fortunate.....and if GS wins, it's because they are a dynasty. That logic is fine, but not for me. Since when does the dynasty team need everything to work in their favour? Kawhi could hardly dunk a ball without serious pain in part of their last series, and Lowry will likely need thumb surgery....which is probably why he hasn't scored much. No excuses. Play it out. Survivor wins it all.

    BTW...I'll add an uneven playing field factor...The Raptors HC is a rookie, whereas Kerr is one of the best. That's sports. You play with what you got.
    If they do lose this series, I'm fine with Warriors fans saying they would've won with Durant, because LeBron would've beaten them in '15 with Love and Irving.

    Regardless. These guys beat Houston in an elimination game IN Houston w/o Durant, and then swept the Blazers while they were sleepwalking half the time. For Kawhi to join this Raptors team, that continually tripped over itself in the NBA Playoffs, and then beat THIS team? I don't care if Durant is around or not, that's impressive to me. And if Kawhi Leonard does in fact lead these guys to a championship, I will then concede that the torch has been passed from LeBron to someone else.

  11. #2366
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,512
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    The Raptors beat the #1 seed in the NBA to get to the finals. No excuses required if they win, or lose. They are hurting, maybe not as much. But that's sports. There is no perfect playing field. To their credit, they beat The Bucks 4 straight, and beat GS both games during the season, 5 of 7 all together, and all 3 in Oakland. Maybe the series will turn, but til this moment, The Raptors have been the better team. But listen, GS is an amazing team minus Durant. They can beat anyone without him.

    If The Raptors win, they deserve it.

    The message some seem to be giving is, if The Raptors win, they were fortunate.....and if GS wins, it's because they are a dynasty. That logic is fine, but not for me. Since when does the dynasty team need everything to work in their favour? Kawhi could hardly dunk a ball without serious pain in part of their last series, and Lowry will likely need thumb surgery....which is probably why he hasn't scored much. No excuses. Play it out. Survivor wins it all.

    BTW...I'll add an uneven playing field factor...The Raptors HC is a rookie, whereas Kerr is one of the best. That's sports. You play with what you got.
    That is your take, a little bias, and understandably so, but the Warriors without Durant is a huge break for the Raptors, no question or debate about it. I have no dog in this fight, and if the Raptors win, of course it’s fair, injuries in sports happen, as you said, you play with what you got. But let’s not pretend like the injuries to each side are even remotely comparable, which is what my point was in responding to you in my initial post. For the record, I want to see the Raptors win this NBA Championship.

  12. #2367
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,908
    In retrospect, imo, the Warriors look real bad putting KD on the court last night!

  13. #2368
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    31,559
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    That is your take, a little bias, and understandably so, but the Warriors without Durant is a huge break for the Raptors, no question or debate about it. I have no dog in this fight, and if the Raptors win, of course it’s fair, injuries in sports happen, as you said, you play with what you got. But let’s not pretend like the injuries to each side are even remotely comparable, which is what my point was in responding to you in my initial post. For the record, I want to see the Raptors win this NBA Championship.
    I would be saying this if The Bucks were beating GS as we speak. Bias is your interpretation. Use it wisely. Teams win and lose with who they have in the game, not who might have been there. Sure, Durant is a stud. But in my opinion, GS and Durant lost my respect when they signed him. They were a championship team then, and there are not enough players on the court to begin with. This is not football or hockey, or many other team sports, where just 5 players can literally almost play 48 minutes each. So if you have 5 guys who can go about 40, and maybe 4 of them are stars, because the rules allow for such signings, what kind of dominance is being permitted? Many of us did not like the Lebron, Wade, Bosh maneuver. I certainly did not.

    Regardless, answer me this, if I am biased.....how is it that The Raptors beat GS both times during the season, once without Leonard? How is it that, so far, The Raptors have won all 3 games in Oakland? And tell me, is winning 3 series so far, against a strong Philly team and the #1 seed - Bucks, not worthy of recognition alone, not to mention the current 3 - 2 series lead?

    What I hear some folks saying these days is that GS deserves to win it all, just because. And as a Raptors fan, I see it very much different. Management took an enormous risk to add a rookie HC and sign a player who hardly played last season, with the high possibility of only keeping him for one season, while trading a very talented and popular player, who would likely be here for the remainder of his career. Plus Leonard had to be rested throughout the season. This was a brave, bold and high risk move.....and I not only applaud the decision, but have thoroughly enjoyed watching this team evolve, and build chemistry. And lets be clear, Leonard has not been 100% for parts of the season. And I repeat, Lowry will likely need thumb surgery. In my mind, this is one of the sports stories of the year, given all the risk and uncertainties.

    So I will give you this.....yes, if a medical poll was taken, The Raptors are a bit healthier than GS. But the adversity, uncertainties, newness to one another, including a rookie HC, have all made this a team with a champion's heart. They were not a dynasty coming in, have had some injuries themselves, had to build chemistry, and had to beat the #1 team in the league to get this far. If they win, they are deserving of their place in history.
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-12-2019 at 06:51 AM.

  14. #2369
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    31,559
    Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    In retrospect, imo, the Warriors look real bad putting KD on the court last night!
    This may end up being one of the more foolish management decisions in sports. He could be ruined, or at least for a big part of the coming season....and with a big paycheck on the line. But it is controversial otherwise, because I don't believe Kerr bought into it. He passed the question about playing Durant off to the GM. I have a gut feeling that someone/some folks panicked, and felt like Durant was the solution. But in so doing, they may pay dearly....as will Durant.

  15. #2370
    broncolee is offline
    Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anywhere I want on 18 wheels
    Posts
    8,115
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    This may end up being one of the more foolish management decisions in sports. He could be ruined, or at least for a big part of the coming season....and with a big paycheck on the line. But it is controversial otherwise, because I don't believe Kerr bought into it. He passed the question about playing Durant off to the GM. I have a gut feeling that someone/some folks panicked, and felt like Durant was the solution. But in so doing, they may pay dearly....as will Durant.
    If Kerr deferred to someone else on the question of Durant playing to someone else, hes just as guilty as anyone involved, especially if Durant was told there wasnt a risk of aggravating the injury.

    I think most teams would gladly pay Durant the max and wait for him, even if it takes a year for him to be ready to play.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •