X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spice 1
    Football Immortal
    • Sep 2004

Golden State lied to the media about his injury for one. It was obviously more severe than a grade 1 calf strain, so blaming the media like some of these analysts are is completely stupid. I read an interview with an orthopedic surgeon who said there is no evidence to support the idea that a minor calf strain can cause an achilles tear a month after the fact. So either they lied, or he just hit the Achilles Tendon lottery in his first game back.

I don't know if they lied to Durant, or he just decided to play anyway. Kawhi Leonard was in a situation where he didn't let team doctors influence his decision not to play. You can't trust team doctors, and Kawhi knew that.

Comment

• CanDB
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
      Golden State lied to the media about his injury for one. It was obviously more severe than a grade 1 calf strain, so blaming the media like some of these analysts are is completely stupid. I read an interview with an orthopedic surgeon who said there is no evidence to support the idea that a minor calf strain can cause an achilles tear a month after the fact. So either they lied, or he just hit the Achilles Tendon lottery in his first game back.

I don't know if they lied to Durant, or he just decided to play anyway. Kawhi Leonard was in a situation where he didn't let team doctors influence his decision not to play. You can't trust team doctors, and Kawhi knew that.
      My sentiments exactly. I don't like piling on, given Durant is badly hurt, but most of us thought this was a mistake. He looked tender, and many astute folks believed he had an achilles injury all along, especially the way he was iced, lower down the leg. For his sake, I hope this does not impact him for more than a few months. If anything he needs to rehab until it is 100%.

Comment

• johnlimburg
        Ring of Famer
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        I would be saying this if The Bucks were beating GS as we speak. Bias is your interpretation. Use it wisely. Teams win and lose with who they have in the game, not who might have been there. Sure, Durant is a stud. But in my opinion, GS and Durant lost my respect when they signed him. They were a championship team then, and there are not enough players on the court to begin with. This is not football or hockey, or many other team sports, where just 5 players can literally almost play 48 minutes each. So if you have 5 guys who can go about 40, and maybe 4 of them are stars, because the rules allow for such signings, what kind of dominance is being permitted? Many of us did not like the Lebron, Wade, Bosh maneuver. I certainly did not.

Regardless, answer me this, if I am biased.....how is it that The Raptors beat GS both times during the season, once without Leonard? How is it that, so far, The Raptors have won all 3 games in Oakland? And tell me, is winning 3 series so far, against a strong Philly team and the #1 seed - Bucks, not worthy of recognition alone, not to mention the current 3 - 2 series lead?

What I hear some folks saying these days is that GS deserves to win it all, just because. And as a Raptors fan, I see it very much different. Management took an enormous risk to add a rookie HC and sign a player who hardly played last season, with the high possibility of only keeping him for one season, while trading a very talented and popular player, who would likely be here for the remainder of his career. Plus Leonard had to be rested throughout the season. This was a brave, bold and high risk move.....and I not only applaud the decision, but have thoroughly enjoyed watching this team evolve, and build chemistry. And lets be clear, Leonard has not been 100% for parts of the season. And I repeat, Lowry will likely need thumb surgery. In my mind, this is one of the sports stories of the year, given all the risk and uncertainties.

So I will give you this.....yes, if a medical poll was taken, The Raptors are a bit healthier than GS. But the adversity, uncertainties, newness to one another, including a rookie HC, have all made this a team with a champion's heart. They were not a dynasty coming in, have had some injuries themselves, had to build chemistry, and had to beat the #1 team in the league to get this far. If they win, they are deserving of their place in history.
        You are a Raptors fan, and frankly, you reveal you have emotions attached to your take here by saying that you "lost respect" for the organisation and player in the past, that is irrelevant here to this conversation. And on your question, you are assuming my takes and thoughts on the situation based on your dislike for the narrative that exists in the national media, not based on anything I have said.

I simply stated that the adversity the Warriors are facing and have faced in this series isn't even remotely comparable to the Raptors. I stated that the Raptors have been given a huge gift and an advantage with Durant going down, and with Thompson missing game time early. These are just facts, and for someone who isn't bias on the topic, I don't see how you could even disagree with that. You have taken these statements by me and assumed a whole bunch more based on this, I didn't even mention any past series, again, as it is irrelevant to the initial point I was making.

And of course the Raptors deserve credit, I agree with that whole paragraph you wrote about the risks Masai took in the off-season, and how the team came together in year 1, especially under a rookie head coach. See, you're assumptions based on your dislike for the facts I stated led you to assuming these things I never said, I like this Raptors team and want them too win, and if they do, of course they are 100% deserving. But I will disagree with the statement that "the Raptors are a bit healthier than GS", that is kind of laughable. No matter how much Raptors fans tell themselves they took down a dynasty, it will kind of for everyone else be looked at with a but next to it in my opinion. But if I am a Raptors fan, I wouldn't let those opinions worry me, because you will be the champions so who cares.

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
          You are a Raptors fan, and frankly, you reveal you have emotions attached to your take here by saying that you "lost respect" for the organisation and player in the past, that is irrelevant here to this conversation. And on your question, you are assuming my takes and thoughts on the situation based on your dislike for the narrative that exists in the national media, not based on anything I have said.

I simply stated that the adversity the Warriors are facing and have faced in this series isn't even remotely comparable to the Raptors. I stated that the Raptors have been given a huge gift and an advantage with Durant going down, and with Thompson missing game time early. These are just facts, and for someone who isn't bias on the topic, I don't see how you could even disagree with that. You have taken these statements by me and assumed a whole bunch more based on this, I didn't even mention any past series, again, as it is irrelevant to the initial point I was making.

And of course the Raptors deserve credit, I agree with that whole paragraph you wrote about the risks Masai took in the off-season, and how the team came together in year 1, especially under a rookie head coach. See, you're assumptions based on your dislike for the facts I stated led you to assuming these things I never said, I like this Raptors team and want them too win, and if they do, of course they are 100% deserving. But I will disagree with the statement that "the Raptors are a bit healthier than GS", that is kind of laughable. No matter how much Raptors fans tell themselves they took down a dynasty, it will kind of for everyone else be looked at with a but next to it in my opinion. But if I am a Raptors fan, I wouldn't let those opinions worry me, because you will be the champions so who cares.
          Many things I could say, but I will limit to the basics:
          1) I may have bundled you up with some other folks, who clearly can only see this as a GS storyline, as in, they win and they are a dynasty, they lose because of injury. Some folks can not state that The Raptors might deserve to win, if they do win. I apologize if I lumped you in with the rest.
          2) Don't get too deep into the "Raptors are a bit healthier" comment I made. I know they are healthier in terms of the obvious. But Leonard and Lowry played with real injuries against the #1 seed. And who knows who else is hurting. YES....Durant is a stud. And Klay missed 1 game. And there are others. So give GS the edge in injuries.
          3) Sure I'm emotionally involved, but The Raptors this year are a success story, and they deserve all that they get. For some including you, to remind us about the health of GS, has become a storyline that just doesn't go away. True to some degree, but not the only story.
          4) I and others pulling for The Raptors have not been too vocal here. I did not see much when The Raptors went up 3 to 1. I refrained. We know that they are playing a dynasty team, or one that is on the edge of it...even minus Durant. No boasting here. More hopeful than anything else.

So.....my only contention in this thread has been the repetitive "injured Warriors", when more could have been said about the exciting style of game that The Raptors have been playing, including amazing D. And the great story that has been evolving. As a Raptors fan I know how hard it was to see Kawhi sit out so many games this season, but with good intentions behind it. Heck, we'd loved to have been #1 seed. But some sacrifice was necessary.

But I will move forward. I hope The Raptors win. I am not a GS fan, and would have pulled for anyone over them. They are still a great team though.
          Last edited by CanDB; 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Canmore
            Do. Do not...No Try!
            • May 2007

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            I would be saying this if The Bucks were beating GS as we speak. Bias is your interpretation. Use it wisely. Teams win and lose with who they have in the game, not who might have been there. Sure, Durant is a stud. But in my opinion, GS and Durant lost my respect when they signed him. They were a championship team then, and there are not enough players on the court to begin with. This is not football or hockey, or many other team sports, where just 5 players can literally almost play 48 minutes each. So if you have 5 guys who can go about 40, and maybe 4 of them are stars, because the rules allow for such signings, what kind of dominance is being permitted? Many of us did not like the Lebron, Wade, Bosh maneuver. I certainly did not.

Regardless, answer me this, if I am biased.....how is it that The Raptors beat GS both times during the season, once without Leonard? How is it that, so far, The Raptors have won all 3 games in Oakland? And tell me, is winning 3 series so far, against a strong Philly team and the #1 seed - Bucks, not worthy of recognition alone, not to mention the current 3 - 2 series lead?

What I hear some folks saying these days is that GS deserves to win it all, just because. And as a Raptors fan, I see it very much different. Management took an enormous risk to add a rookie HC and sign a player who hardly played last season, with the high possibility of only keeping him for one season, while trading a very talented and popular player, who would likely be here for the remainder of his career. Plus Leonard had to be rested throughout the season. This was a brave, bold and high risk move.....and I not only applaud the decision, but have thoroughly enjoyed watching this team evolve, and build chemistry. And lets be clear, Leonard has not been 100% for parts of the season. And I repeat, Lowry will likely need thumb surgery. In my mind, this is one of the sports stories of the year, given all the risk and uncertainties.

So I will give you this.....yes, if a medical poll was taken, The Raptors are a bit healthier than GS. But the adversity, uncertainties, newness to one another, including a rookie HC, have all made this a team with a champion's heart. They were not a dynasty coming in, have had some injuries themselves, had to build chemistry, and had to beat the #1 team in the league to get this far. If they win, they are deserving of their place in history.
            Come on Can...a bit healthier...the're missing the best player in the league.
            sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

Maybe my last post in this thread (for this season), but here's what I want to say.....I hope GS is as near healthy as can be tomorrow, other than the serious injury to Durant. I want them to have a fair chance. And likewise I hope The Raptors play the style of play that is befitting a champion. I want this to be settled on the court as much as possible. And though I am clearly not cheering for GS, I respect their talent, skill and legacy.

:thumb:

Comment

• ELWAY421
                Football Immortal
                • Dec 2007

I swear the Raptors play better offense on the road! Looking good so far. Keep it up! Close Oracle down with a loss!!!

Comment

• ELWAY421
                  Football Immortal
                  • Dec 2007

Kawhi coming up small in that first half! The greats have to take the game over!

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
                    Kawhi coming up small in that first half! The greats have to take the game over!
                    Kawhi will get it going once the refs try to even out the free throw disparity, but Gasol and Green have to start pulling their weight.

Comment

• Spice 1
                      Football Immortal
                      • Sep 2004

I can't even tell if Green fouled Thompson on that play.

Must've got him on the arm, because Green wasn't complaining about the call.

Comment

• ELWAY421
                        Football Immortal
                        • Dec 2007

Congrats to the Raptors & to Canada & to all of you Canucks!!! You The North!!!

Comment

• Spice 1
                          Football Immortal
                          • Sep 2004

Congrats, Raptors fans.

Comment

• Bronco51
                            Football Immortal
                            • Jan 2005

Man, I hate when injuries play that big a role in the series.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                              team preacher
                              • Mar 2008

It’s been cool to watch how much Leonard has developed since he’s been in the league.
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Peanut
                                ModNut
                                • Jan 2007

Congrats to the Raptors!
                                Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Working...
                                X