Page 162 of 166 FirstFirst ... 62 112 152 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 2480

Thread: NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
    That would be the Lakers.
    No doubt, we all knew Lebron would form a posse sooner or later. Does he have enough now? Am I right that they are still missing a key piece or two....which of course, could be found?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    My question to all The Denver fans....with the potential one year decline of The Warriors, do you not feel like your team has a real shot at going the distance next year? GS only had 3 more victories during the regular season, and the odds are that KD will not be around (injured and/or traded), and Klay could be out for an extended period as well. I have a load of respect for the power of GS, but does it not appear that someone else will win the West next season?
    The Nuggets don't have enough as currently constructed. Portland, and Houston should be there, and depending on what the Lakers can do in free agency they may. Not sure about Oklahoma City but I think the Pelicans could very well make the playoffs next year.

My question to all The Denver fans....with the potential one year decline of The Warriors, do you not feel like your team has a real shot at going the distance next year? GS only had 3 more victories during the regular season, and the odds are that KD will not be around (injured and/or traded), and Klay could be out for an extended period as well. I have a load of respect for the power of GS, but does it not appear that someone else will win the West next season?
    I don't know why anyone would feel like this is a 1 year decline of the Warriors? This was the end of the road for that team. They were top heavy and had very little bench. If they re-sign both Durant and Thompson their salary cap and luxury tax bills climb to $350 million per season. Which means there will still be no bench. Add to that the team is getting older and they're about to pay massive contracts to 2 players that will miss an entire season, one of whom has a catastrophic injury that's tough to come back from. It was a fading dynasty that's going to compound problems and make it hard for them to compete anytime in the next few years.

But playing it forward let's look at the core of the team for 20/21 (based on current roster):
    Curry will turn 33 during the season
    Durant will be 32 just before the season
    Thompson will turn 31 during the season
    Green would turn 31 during the season, if they re-sign him
    Iguodala would turn 37 during that season...if retained.

It's an old core with a lot of miles on it and now dealing with serious injuries. The Warriors run is dead, Denver should be aiming to be the new top team in the West, because it's wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    The Nuggets don't have enough as currently constructed. Portland, and Houston should be there, and depending on what the Lakers can do in free agency they may. Not sure about Oklahoma City but I think the Pelicans could very well make the playoffs next year.
    Interesting.

As for The West, even if The Raptors can keep their GM and Kawhi, The Bucks are going to be back for more. I think they learned a big time lesson, and could use it to propel themselves next season. I believe that they got into a bit of confusion during The Raptors series, and could not reverse the downward momentum. The less experienced/knowledgeable types can sometimes not alter their path while in midstream. Too much emphasis on one player. But after a tough offseason, they will be a load. In fact, not knowing the Raptors situation, I would power rank them #1. Not so much so if The Raptors come back intact. A healthy Leonard, plus improving play by the likes of VanVleet and Siakam, could make them even stronger.

Philly is not to be forgotten either.
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-16-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Interesting.

As for The West, even if The Raptors can keep their GM and Kawhi, The Bucks are going to be back for more. I think they learned a big time lesson, and could use it to propel themselves next season. I believe that they got into a bit of confusion during The Raptors series, and could not reverse the downward momentum. The less experienced/knowledgeable types can sometimes not alter their path while in midstream. Too much emphasis on one player. But after a tough offseason, they will be a load. In fact, not knowing the Raptors situation, I would power rank them #1. Not so much so if The Raptors come back intact. A healthy Leonard, plus improving play by the likes of VanVleet and Siakam, could make them even stronger.

Philly is not to be forgotten either.
    Kawhi is either staying in Toronto or going to the Clippers imo. If he goes to the Clippers than they have to be the favorites in the west, right? Clippers have some good players, and a great coach. Balmer is the richest owner in all sports, and LA is where Kawhi is from.

This is going to be a interesting offseason. Draft is right around the corner, and then let the chaos of free agency begin. Right after is summer league. Summer league will be exciting this year with Zion. NBA still not on that NFL level though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Kawhi is either staying in Toronto or going to the Clippers imo. If he goes to the Clippers than they have to be the favorites in the west, right? Clippers have some good players, and a great coach. Balmer is the richest owner in all sports, and LA is where Kawhi is from.

This is going to be a interesting offseason. Draft is right around the corner, and then let the chaos of free agency begin. Right after is summer league. Summer league will be exciting this year with Zion. NBA still not on that NFL level though lol.
    I hate hate hate to see Kawhi go, but life goes on.....and if any team, for me it's The Clippers. And he would definitely help them make a run. We would miss him dearly, but we would always love him for his one INCREDIBLE year. We do not win world championship without him.

Holy smokes what a week here in Toronto.

No doubt, we all knew Lebron would form a posse sooner or later. Does he have enough now? Am I right that they are still missing a key piece or two....which of course, could be found?
    That would appear to be accurate.

I've been a Lakers fan since Wilt. I really am not a fan of LeBron. We will see.

2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Adopted Bronco: Chris Harris Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    Holy smokes what a week here in Toronto.
    Rem, when I first used to come to TO decades ago, mainly for work, I was not in love with the city. It was a big city of course, but it did not give me a really good feeling. But I still recall fondly being in TO on the first ever Jays games, which was played outside, with a few snowflakes! They won in a slugfest as I recall.

Over the years I have returned many times. I started to better appreciate the city. And eventually both my kids ended up there. And now when we visit, they take us to the coolest places. I will admit, I've had enough Blue Jays for a while, but even so, there is a nice youth movement happening. It might take a few years (and yes, I'd get rid of the current management in a giffy!!).

But the city is diverse, exciting, interesting, and awesome! So much to see and do, and you can always take a ride to The Niagara area, and all the great scenery within southern Ontario.

If The Jays had made it to the World Series, my daughter had a ticket waiting for me. But still, I was lucky to see their back to back championships on tv, which was amazing in itself. And had we visited our kids this week instead of last, we would have taken to the streets to join the victory party, plus taken in tomorrow's parade. My kids will be.

Toronto rocks! Great international destination! Nice people. Amazing energy, things to see, things to do. And it might not be too long before The Leafs make a big splash as well!

As I write this, I reminisce about the fantastic food we have eaten in the cool restaurants. Amazing place!
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-16-2019 at 04:17 PM.

I keep thinking about The Pelicans opportunity to make a statement for the future, come Thursday. Unless they make another trade, having the #1 and #4 overall picks could vault them into a power team for the future, especially with Zion at 1. Kawhi Leonard was the highest pick of any Raptor, at #15. Kyle Lowry was the 24th pick. Not saying there's a direct relationship, but Thursday will be a major value add to the organization. And my take in The NBA, if you end up with 2 or more all stars, with some decent depth, you can challenge.

Should be fun. Who knows, maybe a deal will change things.

Super stoked about next season as the black cloud that is Golden State appears to have lifted at least briefly. A lot of Denvers success will fall onto Murray and his development. If he can score consistently then well be a tough out for anybody, if he remains the boom or bust player he was in the playoffs then we can slip up and lose a series. If Harris and Barton stay healthy they can get us 15 a game each. Beasley is a solid handle away from being a force on offense and a few yoga classes away from being a very good defender. Morris is a very nice backup PG and hopefully Morris and Beasley dont lose their legs down the stretch like they did this season. Milsap will be brought back hopefully at a lower rate but hes old and Father Time can strike hard at any time. Juancho had surgery after the season so maybe his rapid descent to the bottom of the rotation can be attributed to that and he can give us some solid stretch 4 minutes next season. Trey Lyles really struggled from 3 last season but improved his mid range game and his efficiency near the basket, he could come back strong next year.

Then the big question mark is MPJ. Hopefully we can get some kind of answer on him in summer league. If hes as good as advertised I think hell be top 2 in ROTY voting next to Ja Morant which should put us right back towards the top of the playoff seeding. We do have a trade exception that could net us a quality player to attempt to fill a hole that comes up during the season.

Vlatko Cancar is a name to keep an eye on in the summer league. Modern day SF/Stretch 4. He may be a big part of our bench and maybe let us trade some other more known bench guys with that trade exception.

But ultimately I do think the stubbornness of Malone like most NBA coaches to shorten the rotation for the playoffs will hurt us. The biggest strength of this team is our depth so Id try to keep using that depth in the playoffs. Injuries and fatigue are real problems for young teams and I think the fatigue set in hard for guys like Morris, Beasley, and Murray throughout the playoffs.

Big move for the Jazz.....Conley has been rumored for sometime but now it's happening.

Utah gives up Allen, Crowder, Korver and the 23.

Helps the Jazz immensely at PG but still leaves a big hole in the outside scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    Big move for the Jazz.....Conley has been rumored for sometime but now it's happening.

Utah gives up Allen, Crowder, Korver and the 23.

Helps the Jazz immensely at PG but still leaves a big hole in the outside scoring.
    I love what is going in in The NBA. Of course I want The Raptors to stay intact, and hopefully stay solid for a number of years. But in general, I like when there are multiple teams with a shot. For me, it makes the league more competitive and more interesting.

I applauded GS when they took the basketball world for a ride, winning a championship, followed by a season with the best record ever. But signing KD turned me off completely, given how amazing that team was. These days GS has some adversity to deal with, though they still have Curry and Green and others....and time will tell about KD and KT. But for this coming season they will be good, but not the dominant force we've grown accustomed to of late.

We now have forces here and there. The Bucks will likely be even better, now that they have experienced a playoff disappointment. Lebron's building up his gang. And there are a handful of other teams that could be champs next season. And then I get excited about what The Pelicans are up to, especially with the draft capital they possess.

This is good. This is very good! And if Kawhi decides to stay in TO, I can not tell you how good!!! (and if he chooses The Clippers, add another team to the potential champ list)
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-19-2019 at 10:14 AM.

I love what is going in in The NBA. Of course I want The Raptors to stay intact, and hopefully stay solid for a number of years. But in general, I like when there are multiple teams with a shot. For me, it makes the league more competitive and more interesting.

I applauded GS when they took the basketball world for a ride, winning a championship, followed by a season with the best record ever. But signing KD turned me off completely, given how amazing that team was. These days GS has some adversity to deal with, though they still have Curry and Green and others....and time will tell about KD and KT. But for this coming season they will be good, but not the dominant force we've grown accustomed to of late.

We now have forces here and there. The Bucks will likely be even better, now that they have experienced a playoff disappointment. Lebron's building up his gang. And there are a handful of other teams that could be champs next season. And then I get excited about what The Pelicans are up to, especially with the draft capital they possess.

This is good. This is very good! And if Kawhi decides to stay in TO, I can not tell you how good!!! (and if he chooses The Clippers, add another team to the potential champ list)
    I agree, the NBA has really turned the corner with Adam Silver leading the league. Basketball (for me) is fun to watch again......for a long time it was pretty rough.

This particular move is a good one for Utah as long as they can address the outside shooting as well. With Rubio, Crowder and Korver now gone that is a lot of outside shots that need to go up. Hopefully the new guys can be more consistent though. Crowder was a fan favorite but was the definition of a roller coaster shooter. So many ups and downs....his tenacity will definitely be missed.

Well, as constructed, w/o Klay and KD, they're probably a fringe playoff team in the west. Problem is, more responsibility goes to Draymond to be great, and that's just not who he is. He was basically the same guy w/o Klay and KD, and Curry had to do it all. Curry is fragile, and asking him to handle that kind of load will increase the probability that he's hurt. This also means that Igodala has to do more, and he's got old knees. There's a chance they wouldn't even make the playoffs. When Klay is there, it allows everybody to play within themselves. With KD, it's just a stupid situation where they can let him go one on one whenever they need to sustain offense. Nobody can help, and if they do, somebody will get an easy look. They can also play small ball, because of his length. So it just makes the game easy. They can space the floor, play slower, and allow everybody to conserve energy. The other team has to run around closing out or chasing everybody.

Giannis needs help. The Bucks reminded me of the old LeBron teams, where they surround him with offensive role players, and rely on team defense. It's a great formula in the regular season, but there's not enough there to win a championship most years. Idk how it's going to work out for the 6ers, because there's a good chance they'll lose Butler. That, and Simmons still can't shoot. Looks like Boston is going to lose Kyrie and Horford, but I wouldn't write them off just yet. Horford at this stage is a role player, and he's been past his prime for years. I always thought he was a little overrated anyway. Kyrie prevented Stevens from really running the team the way he wanted to. So now they can get back to that. They could wind up with a higher seed next year, given Stevens' track record with the team. And I can't stand the dude, but Ainge is a fantastic GM.

Strictly speaking basketball, if I were Kawhi, I'd stay in Toronto.

The Pelicans? Meh. I'll believe it when I see it. That franchise has been a wreck for the most part, and the thing about draft picks, is unless you're getting a slam dunk player, they rarely wind up being as good as you think. It also takes years for these guys to develop. By the time that comes to fruition, you got free agency, and guys start leaving.