• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chillez
    Football Immortal
    • Sep 2008

NBA Thread

Just noticed we don't have NBA thread on here so I thought I would start one.
    sigpic
  • Chillez
    Football Immortal
    • Sep 2008

After Kobe 48 points game last night I was shocked and so happy, I never thought he had that in him with all injuries and knee issues Kobe has had lately.

I know, I know, these Kobe vs. Jordan arguments have been talked about on every sports forum there is...but here me out.

At the age of 33, in the 1996-1997 season, Jordan played his 2nd full season after his 1st retirement. Despite being out of his physical prime, his insanely skilled mid range/post game was so good that he was arguably in his baketball prime. He was still an elite athlete, just not the high flier he was earlier in his career, and his game was based around mid-range fadaway jumpers.

Kobe is now 33 as well. Last year, it looked as though the end was right around the corner for Kobe. When a guy as competitive as Kobe has to sit out of practice for the entire season, he's close to retirement. Bone on bone knees and bad ankles robbed him of the ability to get elevation on his jumpers, beat people off the dribble, play heavy minutes, etc. Seemed like the end of the road for him...

Enter Dr. Peter Wehling. A quick spin of his centrifuge and guess what? Kobe can now elevate, he can now beat people off the dribble, he can now play heavy minutes, he can now PRACTICE...

Mike Brown gets him the ball where he's most effective, in the post/mid range elbow area...the 33 year old Jordan area, where mid range jumpers fueled Jordan's game well into his mid 30s...

It is quite early to compare statistics, but just to throw them out there.

33 year old Jordan (technically, he turned 34 at the end of the season):

29.6 ppg
    5.9 rpg
    4.3 apg
    48.6 fg%

don't look now, but 33 year old Kobe so far:

29.5 ppg
    5.7 rbg
    5.8 apg
    46.0 fg%

Clearly, these numbers are VERY SIMILAR... their games are VERY SIMILAR as well...As an addendum/commentary, Jordan's treatment from the refs was MUCH MORE FAVORABLE....I would say 33 y.o. Jordan may have had a slight athleticism advantage, but also that Kobe is more skilled, slighly better jumper/fadaway/post game imo...

After last nights Suns vs. Lakers game Steve Nash said this:

Steve Nash on Kobe: "He's the best player in the world. You come to expect that type of performance from him."
    sigpic

Comment

• johnlimburg
      Ring of Famer
      • Sep 2009

Was thinking the same thing.

Kobe is still the best. I don't hate him like a lot do. He seems pretty cool and is a great player. Just hope him and the Lakers don't make any noise in the west. They always are a threat with Kobe there though.

What do you think about the Timberwolves. I thought before the season they would still be trash and they are bad as a team but Rubio looks pretty good and they have some nice pieces out there in Minnasota. Young pieces with a lot of potential. Despite a bad team and a poor record they look good for the future.

Chillez who do you go for ?

Comment

• Chillez
        Football Immortal
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
        Kobe is still the best. I don't hate him like a lot do. He seems pretty cool and is a great player. Just hope him and the Lakers don't make any noise in the west. They always are a threat with Kobe there though.

What do you think about the Timberwolves. I thought before the season they would still be trash and they are bad as a team but Rubio looks pretty good and they have some nice pieces out there in Minnasota. Young pieces with a lot of potential. Despite a bad team and a poor record they look good for the future.

Chillez who do you go for ?
        Yeah Timberwolves could be a good suprise in the west. They didn't play very well last night against the Bulls. I'm a diehard Lakers fan have been since my early child hood mainly due to Phil Jackson I feel in love with Shaq and Kobe been a huge fan ever since...

I really need see Kobe Bryant play in person before he's shell of his former himself.
        sigpic

Comment

• johnlimburg
          Ring of Famer
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Chillez View Post
          Yeah Timberwolves could be a good suprise in the west. They didn't play very well last night against the Bulls. I'm a diehard Lakers fan have been since my early child hood mainly due to Phil Jackson I feel in love with Shaq and Kobe been a huge fan ever since...

I really need see Kobe Bryant play in person before he's shell of his former himself.
          Okay cool. I actually don't think the Wolves will compete but they have some nice pieces for the future.

Comment

• Amari24
            Starter
            • Jan 2010

The Wolves will make the playoffs next year IMO. They have a great coach in Rick Adelman, young productive players, and a favorable conference. I was plain wrong on Rubio. He's been a great addition but I still need to see more from him offensively. He reminds me of a raw Steve Nash. He can probably be a 15-3-10 guy. Those are solid all star numbers too.

Comment

• The Experience
              All-Pro
              • Jan 2007

I made one like a week ago, but my dumbass posted it in the entertainment section. Mods haven't moved it yet.
              sigpic

Comment

• Spice 1
                Football Immortal
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                The Wolves will make the playoffs next year IMO. They have a great coach in Rick Adelman, young productive players, and a favorable conference. I was plain wrong on Rubio. He's been a great addition but I still need to see more from him offensively. He reminds me of a raw Steve Nash. He can probably be a 15-3-10 guy. Those are solid all star numbers too.
                ........yeah. me too. I was wrong about Rubio. I'm glad he's doing well though.

Comment

• Strimpel
                  Bench Warmer
                  • Dec 2008

I honestly thought Rubio would be terrible.
                  I don't know what his ceiling is yet though.

Comment

• Broncoyearound
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jun 2009

Since this is the nba thread I might as well make my team known. Go Bulls!!!!!!! D rose baby even though he's out tonight with a toe injury.
                    :go:

Comment

• Chillez
                      Football Immortal
                      • Sep 2008

After last night's epic choke job of Lebron James again I wanted to say this.

People need to watch games, stop judging a players ability by stats and FG%.
                      Lebron has 23 points, 13 rebounds, 7 assists, 7-19 FG tonight in a losing effort. He is averaging 29/7/7 on 60% FG but it doesn't make one ounce of difference.

Objectively:

-this guy is a perimeter player that cannot hit FTs. 9-17 FT tonight, a 67-75% FT shooter his whole career.

-this guy's game is not smooth at all. No move looks refined or smooth. Everything is so raw. He has absolutely no touch. It's not about jumpers or 3's, even from 6 feet this guy just looks clumsy, he has no touch, feel for arc. His misses are not even close at times from inside 15 feet.

-he has no post game.

-consistently disappears and chokes in clutch situations.

-2 worst finals appearances of all time.

He is just a video game type player that gets by with athleticism, running over and into people and dunking, bullying people. He is great at basketball because of his height and his god given physical frame, but he is not a great basketball player.

If you want great basketball players, nearly flawless, masters of the game, true basketball geniuses see:

-Michael Jordan
                      -Kobe Bryant
                      -Steve Nash
                      -Chris Paul

etc. These guys have skill, they are masters of the game. Everything is efficient motion, skills, finesse, mastery. Lebron just does not impress me. I don't think this guy has ever been the best player in the NBA. He is not even the best player on his own team.

You see Jordan consistently setting the golden standard of excellence. You see 33 year old kobe, 16th season scoring 90 points in 48 hours, on a barrage of jumpshots, pullups, just total mastery, toying with defenders. You see guys even like Nash and CP3, nearly flawless players, masters of the game. Lebron just isn't a baller IMO. Lebron very good player but not great...
                      sigpic

Comment

• The Experience
                        All-Pro
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Chillez View Post
                        After last night's epic choke job of Lebron James again I wanted to say this.

People need to watch games, stop judging a players ability by stats and FG%.
                        Lebron has 23 points, 13 rebounds, 7 assists, 7-19 FG tonight in a losing effort. He is averaging 29/7/7 on 60% FG but it doesn't make one ounce of difference.

Objectively:

-this guy is a perimeter player that cannot hit FTs. 9-17 FT tonight, a 67-75% FT shooter his whole career.

-this guy's game is not smooth at all. No move looks refined or smooth. Everything is so raw. He has absolutely no touch. It's not about jumpers or 3's, even from 6 feet this guy just looks clumsy, he has no touch, feel for arc. His misses are not even close at times from inside 15 feet.

-he has no post game.

-consistently disappears and chokes in clutch situations.

-2 worst finals appearances of all time.

He is just a video game type player that gets by with athleticism, running over and into people and dunking, bullying people. He is great at basketball because of his height and his god given physical frame, but he is not a great basketball player.

If you want great basketball players, nearly flawless, masters of the game, true basketball geniuses see:

-Michael Jordan
                        -Kobe Bryant
                        -Steve Nash
                        -Chris Paul

etc. These guys have skill, they are masters of the game. Everything is efficient motion, skills, finesse, mastery. Lebron just does not impress me. I don't think this guy has ever been the best player in the NBA. He is not even the best player on his own team.

You see Jordan consistently setting the golden standard of excellence. You see 33 year old kobe, 16th season scoring 90 points in 48 hours, on a barrage of jumpshots, pullups, just total mastery, toying with defenders. You see guys even like Nash and CP3, nearly flawless players, masters of the game. Lebron just isn't a baller IMO. Lebron very good player but not great...
                        CP for you. This is so dead on it's not even funny. LeBron just isn't that great.
                        sigpic

Comment

• johnlimburg
                          Ring of Famer
                          • Sep 2009

Yeh that choke job was funny. See Billups step up to the line and actually knock down 1,2 and 3. Lebron choked. Whats new I suppose.

Comment

• ERoyal248
                            All-Pro
                            • Aug 2009

Kobe is playing at an insane level right now, BUT, i don't think the rest of the team is good enough to win a title.

Kobe is good, very good, but can he play like this for the rest of the way, and not be worn out by the time the playoffs start?

I like OKC in the West, with Durant the best player in the league imo.

Bulls or Miami in the East, no one else really compares to either.

Comment

• InElwayWeTrust
                              All-Pro
                              • Mar 2010

I agree, I think the West will be won by OKC and no one really even gives them trouble. In the east, I am picking the Bulls. I think the big three in Miami will be worn out from this crazy schedule, and will wilt in the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X