Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Louich View Post
    Well, having a bigger space in the cap does not automatically mean the money is there...

Plus maxing the cap out this year would cause cap problems next year considering you dont give a player 20 mil on the first year of the contract for cash flow purposes so it actually mean being over the cap next year.

Now what I understood form what I read is that:

-we have about 50 mil under the cap

-we'll have to 'give out' comething like 25 mil to our guys we want to keep

There will be something like 3-4mil dedicated to the first contract of our rookies wich leave 20 mil for F/A

Now, I greatly doubt we actually spend 20 mil on F/A for two reasons:

we are not that close to being in superbowl mode

is the money there to spend ?
    If I was the FO I'd front extend and keep our own with front loaded contracts over the next 2 years, that way when the cap rule does hit we have room to still make moves while keeping our own. Although it may not seem like we spend a lot, we will be financially smart.

and this is exactly what we should do for now continue to be in a good position, continue to build the team and when we are ready and there is a FA who actually can make the difference...get him!

CP
    Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7

Adopted Broncos:
    -:Mr. Decker:-

https://twitter.com/#!/BrandonSpano

The high ranking official told me that this decision to roll over the funds was made after week 17. The Broncos will have roughly 50 million
    Because of escalators, incentives and bonuses, we don't have an exact # yet, but the Broncos should be right around 50M to spend
    It's a good sign that Pat Bowlen decided to put this extra money for the upcoming free agency. The Broncos probably will not have to use the franchise tag.

They can re-sign Prater. They can give Bunkley a 4-year deal. They can even give Clady a new contract in March to avoid any problem next year.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    Not smart. I'm sorry but this type of thinking will sink the Broncos, fast.

You need to have a team that is a contender before you consider making a big splash in FA. FA is all about adding A piece to your team that will make you a Super Bowl contender (emphasis on the word "a", as in singular).

Teams who try to build through FA will let quality players (emphasis on the "s", as in plural) leave via free agency that would have otherwise been very easy to re-sign. Essentially, you will eventually give up on multiple good players for a guy who may or may not be great.

Best way to do it is to build through the draft and pick up those quality players that other teams can sign because they spend too much in FA.
    DE Neil Smith signed.....1997

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    DE Neil Smith signed.....1997
    And they thought he was washed up when we signed him

I have a question that has been bothering me about this 27million dollars
    How does that 27 million work since lets say hypothetically we spend 100% of our cap room + the 27 million

for simplicity lets say the cap is 100 million right now, so correct me if i'm wrong in this situation we would spend 127 next year

Wouldn't spending that 27 million this year just screw us in terms of the salary cap for the year after? because again, for simplicity assume we keep all the same players at the same salaries as previous years, we will be 27 OVER the cap?

i feel like i'm missing something...

Quote Originally Posted by biggymac609 View Post
    I have a question that has been bothering me about this 27million dollars
    How does that 27 million work since lets say hypothetically we spend 100% of our cap room + the 27 million

for simplicity lets say the cap is 100 million right now, so correct me if i'm wrong in this situation we would spend 127 next year

Wouldn't spending that 27 million this year just screw us in terms of the salary cap for the year after? because again, for simplicity assume we keep all the same players at the same salaries as previous years, we will be 27 OVER the cap?

i feel like i'm missing something...
    It's all about how much they tie up in yearly salaries. If they spend the 27mil in 1 year deals, it won't affect next year because all those deals will be up. It gives us flexibility to use that money to re-sign our guys that we want to re-sign without affecting the 99% rule. So we can rely on the fact that teams like Pitt, Oak, NYG, Dal, etc... Are at the top of the cap ceiling and we still fall in the parameters while being able to sign multiple big name FA's if we wanted to. It all works as long we don't tie up massive amounts of money each year like Oakland did.

I Think we are much closer to SB contention than most give us credit for.

Imagine an improved Tebow and a more open playbook.

Imagine getting two-three top tier FAs (Mario Williams, Brandon Carr, Dan Connor?)
    We resign prater, bunkley and clady
    We hit three starters in the draft like we did last year

That would sweep us right into contention in my book

Quote Originally Posted by jgod654 View Post
    I Think we are much closer to SB contention than most give us credit for.

Imagine an improved Tebow and a more open playbook.

Imagine getting two-three top tier FAs (Mario Williams, Brandon Carr, Dan Connor?)
    We resign prater, bunkley and clady
    We hit three starters in the draft like we did last year

That would sweep us right into contention in my book
    That could be true but a lot hinges on whether or not Tebow can improve by a large amount. His passing numbers last year were atrocious and he will need to become at least twice the QB he was. That's a lot to ask of someone in one offseason. I want to see a better Tebow that can take us to deep playoff contention but I'm just not seeing it right now. I hope he can though because I can't stand anymore below 100 yard passing games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re-sign
    WR Eddie Royal
    DT Broderick Bunkley
    K Matt Prater

Let the rest walk, who cares?

Free Agents
    RB Michael Bush
    DT Jason Jones
    DE Jeremy Mincey
    CB Rashean Mathis
    LB David Hawthorne

Draft S Mark Barron at #25.

Hello Super Bowl!

That is all!

FA spending

Hey guys, I just wanted to get fellow bronco fans opinion of what is goin on this offseason. I saw we had a roll over in cap which means we have A-LOT to spend this offseason which has a considerably good amount of talented FAs that can help us fill holes. My question is

1) DO you think we will spend some of it to bring some quality guys in?
    Im not talking Mario Williams because i think hes too high profile and will demand too much money and the FO doesnt seem to like signing big name free agents. We go for the second or 3rd best avaliable that can play in the system. I learned this from passing on Deangelo Williams and picking up Mcgahee. Other signings like Andre Goodman and Picking up Bunkley instead of paying Mebane. This seems like a trend. So what second tier FAs can you see us going after? REALISTICALLY. I dont wanna hear that we could sign Mario then sign Peyton Manning while prying Cliff Avril away from Detroit haha.

2) WHy would we want to do this? Remember EFX said that they have a 3 year plan? Well this is year 2 of 3 and we need to keep making splashes to sign the right pieces to keep getting better to be a consistant playoff team again. This is why I think that with the cap space+being year 2/3, that we will make moves, I just dont know what ones. I want to do this for players like Dawk, DJ, Elvis, Champ who have been here for a while and have experienced nothing but heartbreak who dont have that much longer left. So Their 3 year plan REALLY needs to work. Dawk has 1 year left, Champ has 4ish, DJ if not traded has 4 more productive years and Elvis has 5ish. So it would make sense if we really made a push to bring quality guys in to make our run NOW while our key players I just mentioned are still playing at a high level. Dont save money to spend when all of these players are gone or on their last leg because that will just create more holes to fill. We need to make moves NOW. Agree?

A 2/3 year plan (realistically 3) implies that we'll make a splash in the 2nd offseason and we definitely have the money to pay for a guy like Mario Williams. And not to say Williams/Mebane weren't high profile guys, but the FO was right not to give them big money even though they offered big money to Mebane. Williams didn't get 1000 yards or 10 TDs and we got 1200 yards with Willis albeit only 4 rushing TDs compared to 7 for Williams. Mebane didn't get a sack and I wouldn't even say he outplayed Bunkley. The FO seems to have a good eye for talent and that talent's value so far. I trust they'll make some more good decisions this offseason.

I don't have a clue. They haven't signed any of their own FA's yet, plus we don't yet know who from other teams will make it to FA.

I guess if the right guys are there they'll try to sign one of the top FA's among CB, MLB, OG, even Mario Williams.

Why is everyone completely convinced that we won't sign anyone big? Because last year we didn't? Last year we were a 4-12 team going in to the season with no offseason and last year's Free Agency market wasn't as good as this years. We have 50million in cap space now with a playoff team... Spend some money to bring in a young good player.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]