Eric Decker 104.3 The Fan Interview

One thing I noticed. I see some guys getting after the the Broncos new front office (EFX) and I am specifically thinking of one huge Mcdaniels supporter who brings it up in almost every post but these are some quotes from what Eric Decker said about Brandon Lloyd which I found interesting.

"Ill be honest. Brandon I respect but he was I think a me guy. More about the statistics and getting himself payed and getting himself to the pro bowl. I think John Fox figured that out, and. What he trying to build is a team of unselfish players that want to win"

"He brought a lot to the table being a veteran. He was a very talented player but being on so many teams with that talent you know there is something wrong. I thought he had a bad attitude and he would sometimes bring it about. Not all the time. He was an asset to the team but sometimes he would bring a bad attitude and I think create some problems"

Nothing wrong with getting payed and wanting to but the other stuff I think explains why they were maybe willing to sell him cheap. Mix it with the ability to suit the offense we were running and a high unlikely hood to resign I think it shows why we sold him so cheap and probably a good move with a young quarterback.

And also if you remember it seemed like Lloyd put a ton of pressure on Tebow to throw him the ball in the final 3 games of 2010.

Players like that are what bring teams down, I've said it before, I'll say it again. How many players did the Giants have that are known to only care about themselves? Zero.

The Patriots? Well they brought in two before the season.. one was cut and one was inactive for a large number of games.

You don't win with guys like that.

It depends on what sort of team is around. I think if one of your leaders is like that it is bad but I think you can have guys like that if they keep it in check by veterans like Dawkins and Bailey and that sort of thing than I think it will not affect the team. Really though no one knows if the Giants or Pats did or didn't have negative guys around. If you get a player to speak out I am sure every team has players who are not the most positive. And every wants to get paid. Everyone.

It's hard to have negative guys when you are winning...

I don't think Lloyd was a problem, actually he was part of the solution. The passing game would have been much better with Lloyd on the field. He wants the ball, and he is right. The quarterback must give him the ball. Even without much chemistry with the Rams' quarterbacks, Lloyd caught 51 passes and scored 5 touchdowns in 11 games. Lloyd was not the first receiver to ever say he wants the ball in his hands. They want a productive passing game. Do you think the current receivers are happy with the passing game? 32nd in pass attempts. It must be really boring for all of them.

It would be much harder for any defense to load the box and play cover 1 or cover 0 with Brandon Lloyd on the field, especially after Demaryius Thomas' recovery. The loss of a receiver with that kind of ability hurt Tebow's development. Lloyd ran routes for Tebow during the lockout. After Orton was named the starter, Lloyd changed his tune and supported Orton. Fine. After the bye week, Lloyd would catch passes from Tebow, make his big plays and enjoy the wins. I never saw him as an enemy in the locker room.

Even if Lloyd was the "source" that threw Tebow under the bus during training camp, he would have helped Tebow during the regular season. This is how I see the situation. I doubt the 5th round pick will bring a player with Lloyd's talent. The Broncos would have a nice group of receivers with Lloyd, Thomas and Decker. Don't get rid of talent. Add talent.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    I don't think Lloyd was a problem, actually he was part of the solution. The passing game would have been much better with Lloyd on the field. He wants the ball, and he is right. The quarterback must give him the ball. Even without much chemistry with the Rams' quarterbacks, Lloyd caught 51 passes and scored 5 touchdowns in 11 games. Lloyd was not the first receiver to ever say he wants the ball in his hands. They want a productive passing game. Do you think the current receivers are happy with the passing game? 32nd in pass attempts. It must be really boring for all of them.

It would be much harder for any defense to load the box and play cover 1 or cover 0 with Brandon Lloyd on the field, especially after Demaryius Thomas' recovery. The loss of a receiver with that kind of ability hurt Tebow's development. Lloyd ran routes for Tebow during the lockout. After Orton was named the starter, Lloyd changed his tune and supported Orton. Fine. After the bye week, Lloyd would catch passes from Tebow, make his big plays and enjoy the wins. I never saw him as an enemy in the locker room.

Even if Lloyd was the "source" that threw Tebow under the bus during training camp, he would have helped Tebow during the regular season. This is how I see the situation. I doubt the 5th round pick will bring a player with Lloyd's talent. The Broncos would have a nice group of receivers with Lloyd, Thomas and Decker. Don't get rid of talent. Add talent.
    Rod, trust me on this one. I have a relative that's a member of the Broncos. Lloyd was a little bit of a cancer. He needed to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    Did you read the quotes which were spoken by his wide receiver team mate and a guy who was in meetings with him every single day. I am not saying the passing game with 32nd in attempts and one of the worst in the league is good in anyway. We need to be more balanced and Decker said that also.

You were not in the locker room. Neither was I but what do these quotes tell you. Do you just no want to hear it cause it disagrees with your opinion ?

I agree with the last line. I agree it would have helped the passing game to have him. But I think it was pretty clear that Lloyd was not going to come back and it is better to get something than nothing. I beleive he also had an interview and said if he could have chose which team after the season after he knew how both teams years played out he said his skills did not suit what the Broncos were doing and chose the same thing.
    Last edited by johnlimburg; 02-12-2012 at 11:21 PM.

If Decker is willing to say that on the radio, I'm going to take his word for it. Talent or no, if you're bringing everyone down around you, you're a negative for the team as a whole.

If he was that bad, good riddance.

I thought the same things as you Roddoliver, that him being gone wasn't a good move, and especially for the pittance we got for him. But having a guy like that in any work environment is really really bad. Bad attitudes only cause problems. It's fine to want the ball more, Id want all of our receivers to want the ball more, that's what a pro does, but wanting the ball more, and being a pouty whiner that was probably talking crap the whole time is an entirely different thing.

On the wanting balls I agree it is good but in the final 3 games of 2010 I think he put to much pressure on Tebow. It seemed like everytime he dropped back he needed to please Lloyd and forced things instead of just letting it come naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    On the wanting balls I agree it is good but in the final 3 games of 2010 I think he put to much pressure on Tebow. It seemed like everytime he dropped back he needed to please Lloyd and forced things instead of just letting it come naturally.
    Yeah, but it also panned out quite a few times too. Read: the circus catch in the back of the endzone in the Raiders game Our best receivers should be getting the ball forced to them on occasion. We should expect Tebow to take calculated risks, and trust the receiver to make a play when it's necessary. All top tier QB's do. Tom Brady in the SB is a prime example of an elite QB taking risks with the ball and forcing it to his playmakers. Sure, it didn't pan out in that game, but he was doing it all year, and has done it his whole career.

I'm fine with receivers screaming bloody murder in the game to get them the ball, I want that competitiveness, especially when it's warranted from a guy with exceptional hands and body control to make those circus catches. What I don't want, is for the other 5-6 days a week when they aren't playing, for the dude to be pissing and moaning about it, and being a PITA downer for everyone around him. That's the problem.

It's not merely a question of someone saying "Throw me the ball", rather, it's what goes along with it.

I mean, there are ways to be demanding and unhappy but still generally positive, versus being a negative cancer in the lockerroom.

Quote Originally Posted by kishzilla View Post
    Yeah, but it also panned out quite a few times too. Read: the circus catch in the back of the endzone in the Raiders game Our best receivers should be getting the ball forced to them on occasion. We should expect Tebow to take calculated risks, and trust the receiver to make a play when it's necessary. All top tier QB's do. Tom Brady in the SB is a prime example of an elite QB taking risks with the ball and forcing it to his playmakers. Sure, it didn't pan out in that game, but he was doing it all year, and has done it his whole career.

I'm fine with receivers screaming bloody murder in the game to get them the ball, I want that competitiveness, especially when it's warranted from a guy with exceptional hands and body control to make those circus catches. What I don't want, is for the other 5-6 days a week when they aren't playing, for the dude to be pissing and moaning about it, and being a PITA downer for everyone around him. That's the problem.
    Well I think that was the problem. As Decker said. But I agree. I wish DT would demand the ball and it seems thought he may be getting some of that swagger back. I like a cocky receiver on the field. A guy who thinks he can do it all. Same at cornerback. I love that trait. But I think when Lloyd did it seemed it put pressure on Tebow. And he was actually a rookie then. I beleive it made it tougher on him.

Is there a link to this interview?