Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoMo#27 View Post
    Gale Sayers averaged 700 yards a season. How is that HOF worthy?
    He also made because of his name & the movie. It's not right, but it's true. He also led the league in rushing twice, and was an outstanding STer. He won ROY, too.
    Last edited by HUMCALC; 02-06-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by broncojuan View Post
    Once again, stats are for fantasy football nerds. I try to avoid them whenever possible. In fact, I can't remember the last time I actually paid attention to any stat line.

At the top of his game, there wasn't any non QB who had more of an impact than TD. To me, he passes what I like to call the smell test. People who don't know football know TD. Most football fans barely realize that Martin was able to compile the numbers he had, because for most of his career he was irrelevant.
    Exactly. Any RB who plays 13 or 14 seasons and doesn't get injured often should be able to get those numbers. If they get at least close to 1000 yards every year they will get 14000 yards. Olandis Gary could have done that if he would have played long enough, and he certainly wasn't one of the best in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    He also made because of his name & the movie. It's not right, but it's true. He also led the league in rushing twice, and was an outstanding STer. He won ROY, too.
    So why does it matter that he won ROY but it doesnt matter that TD won multiple awards, Super Bowls & All-Pro's?

TD didnt play special teams because he was too valuable to his team as a RB. Davis did get his chance to play because of a special teams play though.

Can you please just explain to all of us why you believe Martin is a better player and more worthy of the HOF compared to Davis?

Gale Sayers averaged 700 yards a season. How is that HOF worthy?
    Gale Sayers is in the HOF and Davis isn't because Sayers was a once-in-history talent, Davis was just a great running back whose career was cut short by injury. Most men of a certain age will say unequivically that the best power rusher ever was Jim Brown and the most graceful runner ever was Sayers. Look up some footage of Sayers if you can find it on the interwebs, and you'll see the difference between him and TD.

TD was the best playoff RB in history. 7 straight 100 yard games and averaged something like 150 yards a game.

Only one other back averaged more than 100 ypg and that was Thurman Thomas with something like 103 ypg in the playoffs.

In other words, TD average almost 50 yards per playoff game more than the next closest back.

And...I'd take both Atwater and Dennis Smith over Lynch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradshaw3001 View Post
    Gale Sayers is in the HOF and Davis isn't because Sayers was a once-in-history talent, Davis was just a great running back whose career was cut short by injury. Most men of a certain age will say unequivically that the best power rusher ever was Jim Brown and the most graceful runner ever was Sayers. Look up some footage of Sayers if you can find it on the interwebs, and you'll see the difference between him and TD.
    I would say Earl Campbell, and Barry Sanders. But Maybe I'm just not the right age.
    Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

So the reason TD isn't in the HOF because his career was cut short because of injury? Yet Gale Sayers played the same amount of seasons as TD yet TD had double the yards and touchdowns as Gale. I don't care how talented he was. Talent alone shouldn't get you in the HOF, production should and TD had more of it in the same amount of seasons.

So the reason TD isn't in the HOF because his career was cut short because of injury? Yet Gale Sayers played the same amount of seasons as TD yet TD had double the yards and touchdowns as Gale. I don't care how talented he was. Talent alone shouldn't get you in the HOF, production should and TD had more of it in the same amount of seasons.

Don't recall TD ever scoring 6 TDs in a single game. And yeah, I think that has at least something to do with Sayers being in the HoF.

Nobody's post season numbers compare to Davis'.

Postseason rushing Terrell Davis.

Average gain 5.59 yards per attempt. The second closest player is Marcus Allen at 5.04 followed by Eric Dickerson at 4.89. On the biggest stage, Davis averaged over half a yard more than his next closest competitor. Half a yard! That is nearly unbelievable. In a game measured by tenths and hundredths of a yard, Davis leave Allen in the dust.

142.5 yards per game. That would be 2280 yards for a season against the best the NFL has to offer. NFL stats doesn't list players per game average which is beyond me but for sake of comparison Emmitt Smith, who is the leading rusher in yards gained for a career, averaged 93.3 yards per game. Davis averaged 49 yards more per game in the post season. 49 more yards! In NFL numbers it might as well be a mile.

Davis' numbers will probably never be reached, at least yards per attempt and yards per game, not with any significant number of games played. Terrell played in eight postseason match-ups rushing for over 100 yards seven straight times. Davis rushed for 91 yards versus Jacksonville in his post season debut. The only time in his career he didn't go over 100.

TD's average yards per game and per rush are just staggering compared to rest of the league. Quite simply he belongs in the Hall of Fame!

2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Adopted Bronco: Chris Harris Jr.

And in 99% of cases you'd be right... but Sayers is the ultimate outlier, and his greatness cannot be captured by his numbers.

By the way, HOF discussions are without question the most enjoyable threads on these boards, and a welcome distraction from the typical, repetitive "LEAVE TEBOW ALONE!!!" vs. "CRUCIFY TEBOW!!!" battle cries.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    TD was the best playoff RB in history. 7 straight 100 yard games and averaged something like 150 yards a game.

Only one other back averaged more than 100 ypg and that was Thurman Thomas with something like 103 ypg in the playoffs.

In other words, TD average almost 50 yards per playoff game more than the next closest back.

And...I'd take both Atwater and Dennis Smith over Lynch.
    He just didnt do it long enough to count. He needed another 3-4 years to get to around 10k and add another 20-30 TD's.

He was fun to watch but he isn't an HOF'er.

Sanders, Campbell, Dickerson, Allen, now those are HOF'ers.

So is curtis martin. I don't understand how you can't look at 14,000 yard, 10 STRAIGHT 1k+ yard seasons and think the guy earned it. Why is he penalized for being one tough SOB and not getting hurt?

Look he isn't a top 10 RB by any stretch but he certainly deserves a bust in the HOF.

And in 99% of cases you'd be right... but Sayers is the ultimate outlier, and his greatness cannot be captured by his numbers.
    One of the greatest things I ever heard about Sayers, was from **** Butkus.

He said that he was looking for a chance to knock this hot shot rookie back a few notches and he has him dead to rights coming around the corner. Butkus said he is all keyed up to deliver a huge blow and he just whiffs nothing but air. He swears that Sayers split himself in two!!!

The funny thing is its like 30 years later, in this interview and you can see it still makes Butkus mad. He admitted to never being able to tackle him one-on-one.

I love Lynch but i think Atwater should be in first.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="Orange"][SIZE="5"][FONT="Impact"]SIMON SAYS 97.5 SACKS!!![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by AllEyezOnZach27 View Post
    So why does it matter that he won ROY but it doesnt matter that TD won multiple awards, Super Bowls & All-Pro's?

TD didnt play special teams because he was too valuable to his team as a RB. Davis did get his chance to play because of a special teams play though.

Can you please just explain to all of us why you believe Martin is a better player and more worthy of the HOF compared to Davis?
    Gale had more Pro Bowls and was just as vital as TD, if not more. Martin was a more rounded RB, for a longer period of time
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!