Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wild, Avs set to conclude home-and-home series

WILD (28-28-10) AT AVALANCHE (34-29-4)

TV – NBCSN (HD),TSN2

Last 10: Minnesota 3-5-2; Colorado 6-4-0.

The Avs are clawing desperately for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference and trail by just one point going into Tuesday night’s action. However, the Western Conference is such a logjam that anything could happen at this point, so the Wild have much to play for – not to mention getting the upper hand in the season series with Colorado.

Minnesota is without its captain Mikko Koivu who is sidelined with a shoulder injury, while forwards Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Guillaume Latendresse are both suffering from concussions.

The Wild have notched just four goals in an 0-3-1 span, allowing at least two goals in the first period of each game in that stretch.

After dropping two straight contests, Colorado got back on track with Sunday's road win against the Wild. Recently acquired forward Jamie McGinn shouldered the scoring burden for his burgundy and blue comrades, notching the only two goals of the game. It was McGinn's first career two-goal game.

"This is huge. After dropping two we knew we needed these two points," said McGinn. "Everyone ahead of us is winning right now, so we have to stay in the hunt. It's going to be an interesting final stretch here, and we want to be a part of it too."

READ JEFF READ
    Semyon Varlamov made 30 saves to earn his fourth shutout of this season, his second against the Wild. However, Colorado has gone 1-6-1 over its last eight home matchups with Minnesota.
    READ JEFF READ

"(Varlamov's) been very solid for us lately here, and we're going to need that type of play down the stretch," coach Joe Sacco said.

Injury Report: Minnesota is without goalie Niklas Backstrom (strained groin) out for at least another two weeks, and is also without Koivu (shoulder) Bouchard (concussion), Latendresse (concussion) and Mike Lundin (lower body)… Colorado's Chuck Kobasew is out with a back injury, Ryan O'Byrne (knee) will miss 2-3 weeks, and Steve Downie is questionable for Tuesday and missed last game because of a shoulder injury.

Stat Pack: Minnesota has been shut out in back-to-back games and three of its last four games. The last team to get shut out in three straight was Montreal last March 22-26.

Hooray, beer!

Huge game tonight. Need to sweep this home and home like they did to us last time. We need these points big time. Would be nice if Dallas loses at Vancouver tonight too.

GO AVS!

I still remember the brawl in 97 between the Avs and my Red Wings. Hope to see you guys in the conference final. I just love Detroit doesn't get too comfy.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=373387&type=sigpic&dateline=1325481226

BRONCOS!

HOKIES

GO STL CARDINALS!!!
    11 TIME CHAMPS!!!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.– John 3: 16 (KJV)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin' Bronco View Post
    I still remember the brawl in 97 between the Avs and my Red Wings. Hope to see you guys in the conference final. I just love Detroit doesn't get too comfy.
    *hope Detroit doesn't get too comfy.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=373387&type=sigpic&dateline=1325481226

BRONCOS!

HOKIES

GO STL CARDINALS!!!
    11 TIME CHAMPS!!!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.– John 3: 16 (KJV)

I hope they play Jiggy tonight.

Varlamov is worthless.
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

In all seriousness, I'm not sold on Varly. He hasn't done enough here to warrant that.

Plus we give up on goalies quickly anyways, so who knows. We are so dysfunctional as an organization at times, you never know.

Onto the game, I'd like to think we'd win, but I don't think we do. This team just doesn't make me confident. Sucks, but it's how I feel right now. They'll have to prove me wrong. I was excited....until that colombus game....followed by the pitt game.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
    I hope they play Jiggy tonight.

Varlamov is worthless.
    In all seriousness, I'm not sold on Varly. He hasn't done enough here to warrant that.

Plus we give up on goalies quickly anyways, so who knows. We are so dysfunctional as an organization at times, you never know.

Onto the game, I'd like to think we'd win, but I don't think we do. This team just doesn't make me confident. Sucks, but it's how I feel right now. They'll have to prove me wrong. I was excited....until that colombus game....followed by the pitt game.

Varly has two shutouts in the past 30 days. He is on a like 1.9 goa average right now. I would not say that is worthless.

I dont know what goalies we have given up on? But I do know that we do not have a goalie coach for varly, which pisses me off to high hell! Every other professional team has a coach specifically for their most important position. We dont. I cant stand it. JSG, is fulfilling that role right now, which is why I love him, but damn.

As for tonight I think we take care of business. The colombus game hurt, real bad. However, the Pens are in a whole other class of hockey teams. Its like the colts going up against the Packers. It sucks, but you cant get mad with the team like that. We played well, but were outmatched practically everyone on the ice. They are a solid team, unstoppable when syd comes back from his neck injury.

There are still like 16 games left to play, some easy, some very hard. Basically 32 points to be had, we will be in it up until the end I think.
    For now....
    1. Reuben Badass LB; 2. Joe Mixon RB; 3. Jake Butt TE; 3B Sid Jones DB; 4. Bucky Hoges TE; 6. Ryan Switzer WR. Trade for Sheldon Richardson.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Varly has two shutouts in the past 30 days. He is on a like 1.9 goa average right now. I would not say that is worthless.

I dont know what goalies we have given up on? But I do know that we do not have a goalie coach for varly, which pisses me off to high hell! Every other professional team has a coach specifically for their most important position. We dont. I cant stand it. JSG, is fulfilling that role right now, which is why I love him, but damn.

As for tonight I think we take care of business. The colombus game hurt, real bad. However, the Pens are in a whole other class of hockey teams. Its like the colts going up against the Packers. It sucks, but you cant get mad with the team like that. We played well, but were outmatched practically everyone on the ice. They are a solid team, unstoppable when syd comes back from his neck injury.

There are still like 16 games left to play, some easy, some very hard. Basically 32 points to be had, we will be in it up until the end I think.
    Worthless was a joke to Cory.

Craig Anderson, Brian Elliott. Anderson was great for us, then had a not so good year, then poof, gone. We gave Elliott like 15 games...and poof, gone. Now he's an all star. Those are two examples.

Worthless was a joke to Cory.

Craig Anderson, Brian Elliott. Anderson was great for us, then had a not so good year, then poof, gone. We gave Elliott like 15 games...and poof, gone. Now he's an all star. Those are two examples.
    oh, i see, i missed the joke.
    Andy quit on us, just like jose.

Elliott- who knew. I didnt think he looked good with us. He didnt look very good with Ottowa-? Was it the sens he came from- I forgot. he was a 5th round pick. Now suddenly he is good. I think that is more like the ed mccafrey syndrom there. Plus STL, has a really good team, something which elliott has never had before.
    For now....
    1. Reuben Badass LB; 2. Joe Mixon RB; 3. Jake Butt TE; 3B Sid Jones DB; 4. Bucky Hoges TE; 6. Ryan Switzer WR. Trade for Sheldon Richardson.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    oh, i see, i missed the joke.
    Andy quit on us, just like jose.

Elliott- who knew. I didnt think he looked good with us. He didnt look very good with Ottowa-? Was it the sens he came from- I forgot. he was a 5th round pick. Now suddenly he is good. I think that is more like the ed mccafrey syndrom there. Plus STL, has a really good team, something which elliott has never had before.
    Yeah, it wasn't a joke most would get.

I'm just saying...it's happened before, I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone in a year.

He really hasn't done enough to warrant him a for sure job. He was great, then really really bad, then he's been good again. 35 year old Jiggy stole his job for a good part of the season. We gave up 2 firsts for him, that's quite a bit.

Our defense sucks, no doubt about it, but he's given up plenty of bad goals too. Elliot did suck here, but had potential, and proved that this year.

Yeah, it wasn't a joke most would get.

I'm just saying...it's happened before, I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone in a year.

He really hasn't done enough to warrant him a for sure job. He was great, then really really bad, then he's been good again. 35 year old Jiggy stole his job for a good part of the season. We gave up 2 firsts for him, that's quite a bit.

Our defense sucks, no doubt about it, but he's given up plenty of bad goals too. Elliot did suck here, but had potential, and proved that this year.
    Our D was playing bad enough to frustrate JSG enough to start throwin blows lol

Hooray, beer!

Maybe the problem isn't the goalie. Well some of it is. But our D sucks. Has for a while. We tried to get bigger this year but being big doesn't make up for a lack of talent.

I don't even know who our best Defense-men is they're all kinda meh.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Steve Downie (shoulder) will not be available for Tuesday's game against Minnesota.
    The severity of Downie's injury is not yet known, but the Avalanche are expected to provide an update on Tuesday. Downie has been great with Colorado since they acquired him from the Tampa Bay Lightning. He has 35 points and 127 penalty minutes in 61 games with Tampa Bay and Colorado this season.
    Colorado defenseman Ryan O’Byrne will return to the lineup Thursday night in Nashville.
    O’Byrne last played Feb. 22 against the Kings when he suffered a knee injury that landed him on IR. The 27-year-old defenseman is 1-5-6 in 61 games.
    Hihihihihihihi.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Quote Originally Posted by JakeNbake View Post
    Maybe the problem isn't the goalie. Well some of it is. But our D sucks. Has for a while. We tried to get bigger this year but being big doesn't make up for a lack of talent.

I don't even know who our best Defense-men is they're all kinda meh.

They are getting better.

The problem was all the stupid turnovers in the zone, and not being mean enough to move some bodies and drop some hits. Too much finesse.

Our best D guys imo are EJ and O'brien.- I really like Obrien, dude is mean, hard nosed and solid, plus he never fights but Always intimidates.

Hejda is a solid guy too. Big, hits, not flashy but doesnt make mistakes really either. I am not a fan of hunwick not matter that he has 2 goals in 2 games. He turns the puck over all the time.

Also we rarely hold the point, and give up lots and lots of 2on1 and 3 on1s...I think this comes from the forwards. When we get a line that can sustain pressure, we look solid. When we get lines that score but just come in and score and dont work the puck and set up shop in the attack zone, our d gets beat up and we let in goals. I think we need a top flight scorer. A Teows, a Parise, a stall(any will do), Geno- whoever. Just someone who can score at will and take over a game and keep the D on edge. Right now we dont have that. We have a bunch of developmentals and some that are getting close, but no one yet to strike fear.
    For now....

Yeah EJ and O'Brien are hands down the two best on the team.

Then Hedja probably, and O'byrne. Elliot has potential I guess.

But our defense still pretty much sucks.