Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ross-on-Wye, UK
    Posts
    437

    <rant> NFL Fans have the priority all wrong....

    First and foremost, I would like to say I am a Denver Broncos fan first, and Tim Tebow fan second. This will always be the way....

    The reason I say we all have our priorities wrong, is because I was analysing the Manning vs Tebow debate. I wanted Manning; it's Peyton Manning after all. I then got thinking about it, and what I want from our franchise; a Super Bowl, yes, but then I realised there is much more to it than that, and thought I would share the ramblings in my mind with you all (bored on the train to work)

    Al Davis coined the phrase 'just win, baby', and I admire him for removing the personal element from the success of his team, and doing all you can to win, but only to a point.....

    I am loyal fan, and with that loyalty, some must reside with the players as well as the organisation. We cheer them as well as the team, after all. Some players just go wherever the biggest pay cheque is, some players go to whichever team gives them the best chance to win a Super Bowl, and I have absolutely no time for them.

    NFL Franchises are businesses, yes, and must do what they can to win, but also with that, their main business is to keep their fans entertained. Their business, therefore, is purely entertainment. Most of our fans want to win, and that is all they want, and I attribute that to the capatalist world we all live in. Let me equate this to life in general a bit; it really is ok to be average fellas, and ok not to be a winner, and to just have pride in what you do, and have fun doing it. Feel free to use that line on your kids there

    Some love Tebow because he got us back to winning ways, but not me. The reason I love Tebow, or rather the reason I have fallen in love with Tebow, is not because he makes our team better, instills heart and passion in the rest of the organisation, a great role model for us all, but because he is so damn fun to watch. Life is supposed to be fun, right?

    I have enjoyed watching the end of the Plummer era, the Cutler years, the Orton years, seeing our team trying to suceed and win the big one with all, but I have prefered watching Tebow, above all of them. Our team is now passionate, our team wears its heart on its sleeve, proud to be from Denver, thankful for playing in the NFL, and just generally a better role model to our kids (and adults too!)

    Will it not be more satisfying to watch Tebow, and our Broncos, grow over the next few years, entertaining the hell out of all of us, even if we don't win a Super Bowl for another 20 years?? I mean, geeeez, you never know what is going to happen next with this kid. He is pure entertainment, and a good guy too.

    I mean this wholeheartedly, and not playing Devil's Advocat like before (said things along this line a few times in here), but I would much prefer watching Tebow try to win a Super Bowl in Denver over the next 15 years, and failing, than getting an old Manning, winning one, and then the team crumbling under his aging arm strength and desire to only do one thing; win another Super Bowl.

    I know there are MANY of you who will tell me I am stupid, many who will laugh at my apparent lack of competitiveness, and some who think I am mad or just don't get it, but seriously folks, entertainment is the game we are in, and winning the Super Bowl is just a bonus.

    Just a bonus, that's all it is, or rather all is *should* be.

    If Tebow is the most entertaining QB in the league, then everyone should want him, and we are damn lucky to have him. I think this is what people are trying to say with their billboards, their booing of other QBs, their chanting of his name. Tebow, is an entertainer, whether he wants to be or not.

    'Entertainment over Record', should have been Al Davis' statement, especially as a team that has fun, and is entertaining to watch, usually wins.

    Therefore, I beg you all to sit down, and work out what it is you want from our franchise. There will be rough times with Tebow, more than most, especially in these early years, but do you want to enjoy watching your team, or do you want to enjoy them when they win?

    I know what I want now, and it is Tebow. Until he stops entertaining me

    ******

    For my next rant, I will be explaining why good character guys help a franchise win more than more skilled, selfish players, who are just looking for the title, or more $$$, but you'll have to wait for that, as typing this much on my iPhone has pretty much rendered my fingers useless for the rest of week.
    Denver Broncos Fan from UK

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,440
    To be honest I've only been mildly entertained by Tebow when he's playing QB. His moments of entertainment were very limited and they did come at perfect timing (those comebacks) but other than that I felt like I was watching 55 minutes of incredibly boring football.

    I'm a fan of Tebow and I hope he can develop into something great but to be honest I am way more interested in watching Peyton Manning play. Seeing him conduct an offense the way he does entertains me to no end.

    We're all entitled to our opinion and we aren't all going to be entertained by the same thing. I appreciate your post of looking at it a different way though
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=382185&dateline=13182  11057
    Thank you Charger$

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    'Cuse, New Yawk
    Posts
    5,409
    I know what I want.

    Another Super Bowl... and a few more after that.

    Don't care how. Even if it is with a 90 year old lady as QB.

    Peyton gives us a better shot now.

    Tim Tebow? Who knows. We have not seen his full potential. Yes he has been bad... GOD AWFUL. But he has the will and determination not many people have and he is young.


    Even if we got Peyton how much better would we be to get us that 3rd SB title?

    With so many holes on this team DTs, TEs aging DBs, RB issues, some bad pass protection.

    This team was 2 or 3 drafts from being SB contenders when Josh got here.

    When he left we became 6 or 7 drafts.

    Our team is in shambles.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,026
    OP, I agree 100%. Tebow is where EFX's focus should be, they should be building a team around him, Elway should be working with him, not against him. Unfortunately Horseface has damaged this relationship beyond repair, and it shows how big of a man Tebow is that he hasnt asked for a trade yet, because all Elway has done is crap all over him since he got here.

    I grew up the biggest Elway fan on the planet, but I despise him now. Tebow is the one thing thats got me excited about Broncos football in a long time, and Elways gonna throw it all away. Peyton Manning, huh, hes Kyle Orton at this point, for 5 times the price.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco_Armada View Post
    I know what I want.

    Another Super Bowl... and a few more after that.

    Don't care how. Even if it is with a 90 year old lady as QB.

    Peyton gives us a better shot now.

    Tim Tebow? Who knows. We have not seen his full potential. Yes he has been bad... GOD AWFUL. But he has the will and determination not many people have and he is young.


    Even if we got Peyton how much better would we be to get us that 3rd SB title?

    With so many holes on this team DTs, TEs aging DBs, RB issues, some bad pass protection.

    This team was 2 or 3 drafts from being SB contenders when Josh got here.

    When he left we became 6 or 7 drafts.

    Our team is in shambles.
    The same was said of Orton last year!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    The same was said of Orton last year!
    Just because they said that about Orton and he failed doesn't mean it'll happen again with Peyton

    It's all opinion at this point
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=382185&dateline=13182  11057
    Thank you Charger$

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    8,562
    I feel we couldn't get rid of tebow if we signed manning at best manning has e2 or 3 more good years in him. tebow has everything you want in a qb but needs time to develop I think signing a peyton manning to help teach tebow the rope along with making out o competitive this year tebow obviously has it. he just needs a few years I believe a year or two to refine his qbing is what he needs

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I feel we couldn't get rid of tebow if we signed manning at best manning has e2 or 3 more good years in him. tebow has everything you want in a qb but needs time to develop I think signing a peyton manning to help teach tebow the rope along with making out o competitive this year tebow obviously has it. he just needs a few years I believe a year or two to refine his qbing is what he needs
    That's the best case scenario in my opinion but I find it very unlikely

    Manning isn't really known for his mentoring skill
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=382185&dateline=13182  11057
    Thank you Charger$

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    'Cuse, New Yawk
    Posts
    5,409
    Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    The same was said of Orton last year!
    I did not say this, other members, sports "experts" yes. I wanted Tebow as well.

    Peyton manning is not Kyle Orton. This is comparing a Yugo to a Lamborghini.

    When it comes to Tebow vs Peyton its really thinking about short term vs the long term.

    Peyton is short term. 2 or 3 really good year left in him? Peyton does make things better now, but with so many holes Peyton alone can't fix this sinking ship.

    Tebow could work behind Peyton and have some NFL "catching" up. Not sure if he is willing to do that.

    Tebow can learn without Peyton as well.

    This is all a result of the beast we call the NFL.

    The motto

    "What have you done for me lately?"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    16,721
    Quote Originally Posted by marktippins1981 View Post
    First and foremost, I would like to say I am a Denver Broncos fan first, and Tim Tebow fan second. This will always be the way....

    The reason I say we all have our priorities wrong, is because I was analysing the Manning vs Tebow debate. I wanted Manning; it's Peyton Manning after all. I then got thinking about it, and what I want from our franchise; a Super Bowl, yes, but then I realised there is much more to it than that, and thought I would share the ramblings in my mind with you all (bored on the train to work)

    Al Davis coined the phrase 'just win, baby', and I admire him for removing the personal element from the success of his team, and doing all you can to win, but only to a point.....

    I am loyal fan, and with that loyalty, some must reside with the players as well as the organisation. We cheer them as well as the team, after all. Some players just go wherever the biggest pay cheque is, some players go to whichever team gives them the best chance to win a Super Bowl, and I have absolutely no time for them.

    NFL Franchises are businesses, yes, and must do what they can to win, but also with that, their main business is to keep their fans entertained. Their business, therefore, is purely entertainment. Most of our fans want to win, and that is all they want, and I attribute that to the capatalist world we all live in. Let me equate this to life in general a bit; it really is ok to be average fellas, and ok not to be a winner, and to just have pride in what you do, and have fun doing it. Feel free to use that line on your kids there

    Some love Tebow because he got us back to winning ways, but not me. The reason I love Tebow, or rather the reason I have fallen in love with Tebow, is not because he makes our team better, instills heart and passion in the rest of the organisation, a great role model for us all, but because he is so damn fun to watch. Life is supposed to be fun, right?

    I have enjoyed watching the end of the Plummer era, the Cutler years, the Orton years, seeing our team trying to suceed and win the big one with all, but I have prefered watching Tebow, above all of them. Our team is now passionate, our team wears its heart on its sleeve, proud to be from Denver, thankful for playing in the NFL, and just generally a better role model to our kids (and adults too!)

    Will it not be more satisfying to watch Tebow, and our Broncos, grow over the next few years, entertaining the hell out of all of us, even if we don't win a Super Bowl for another 20 years?? I mean, geeeez, you never know what is going to happen next with this kid. He is pure entertainment, and a good guy too.

    I mean this wholeheartedly, and not playing Devil's Advocat like before (said things along this line a few times in here), but I would much prefer watching Tebow try to win a Super Bowl in Denver over the next 15 years, and failing, than getting an old Manning, winning one, and then the team crumbling under his aging arm strength and desire to only do one thing; win another Super Bowl.

    I know there are MANY of you who will tell me I am stupid, many who will laugh at my apparent lack of competitiveness, and some who think I am mad or just don't get it, but seriously folks, entertainment is the game we are in, and winning the Super Bowl is just a bonus.

    Just a bonus, that's all it is, or rather all is *should* be.

    If Tebow is the most entertaining QB in the league, then everyone should want him, and we are damn lucky to have him. I think this is what people are trying to say with their billboards, their booing of other QBs, their chanting of his name. Tebow, is an entertainer, whether he wants to be or not.

    'Entertainment over Record', should have been Al Davis' statement, especially as a team that has fun, and is entertaining to watch, usually wins.

    Therefore, I beg you all to sit down, and work out what it is you want from our franchise. There will be rough times with Tebow, more than most, especially in these early years, but do you want to enjoy watching your team, or do you want to enjoy them when they win?

    I know what I want now, and it is Tebow. Until he stops entertaining me

    ******

    For my next rant, I will be explaining why good character guys help a franchise win more than more skilled, selfish players, who are just looking for the title, or more $$$, but you'll have to wait for that, as typing this much on my iPhone has pretty much rendered my fingers useless for the rest of week.

    First of all... Awesome post sir

    While I don't entirely agree with you I can admire your position. I also apologize if my reply makes no sense its 4:15 in the morning and I should by all accounts be asleep.

    That being said

    I like winning, I like winning a lot. the entire purpose of the game is to win otherwise why even bother keeping score. Now, that is not to say that having an entertaining game isn't also important. One reason I like the NFL so much is every team is competitive, the whole any given Sunday ideal really is alive and well in my mind. With so many teams being relatively equal this makes for a lot of entertaining games.

    Tebow was exciting, and yes it was fun to watch but I don't think he can keep winning as he is. If he improves, awesome I hope he does... and I hope he does so on our team that being said I would give up 10 years of trying with Tebow for a Super Bowl with manning at the drop of a hat.

    In a perfect storm we would get manning have a few awesome years competing at that highest level, and when manning hangs it up Tebow can step into that role, hopefully after he has polished his skills so he to can compete at the highest level.

    cheers!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13
    Something to consider in the "Manning isn't known for his mentoring skills" conversation. Perhaps in the past he wasn't interested because he didn't want to nurture the guy who was going to come in and take his place before he was done. With his recent injury, and release from the team that held him up pretty much as high as a team can hold someone, he has a little sense of his mortality/time left in the league, and with only a few years left (assuming he's healthy) he may wish to leave a little something behind, and what better way than to work with another legendary quarterback to help bring along a QB with unparalleled heart, but of whom everyone said couldn't make it. It sure would make for a great story. May not be the case, but it might be a motivation for a bit of a change in his operating procedure.

    I agree with a lot of the OP. I might also add that I kind of miss the days of a player playing out his entire career at a team. I miss players who were loyal to their team, and even when dropped would rather take a pay cut or maybe retire than go to a division rival. How many of our former players are now playing for other teams in the division? Seems like it's really happening a lot. I liked those players, and now I choke mentally when thinking of their names. Heck, even when we got someone from division rival it would take my brain a long time to wash that taint off them. Yes, it's about winning, but it's more about trying your hardest, and fighting with honor (otherwise we'd all be praising a certain team for taping...) Standing up with pride, and letting your colors fly, even if you weren't winning (and there are a lot of us here who remember when that was the case). Heck, I remember that first SB win. A silence fell over the house at the end of the game. Nobody knew quite what to do with it. What was this new feeling? Still, those years prior, always cheering them on were great.
    Last edited by EmeraldEdge; 03-19-2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Had more to say:

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    196

    Salute!

    Quote Originally Posted by marktippins1981 View Post
    First and foremost, I would like to say I am a Denver Broncos fan first, and Tim Tebow fan second. This will always be the way....

    The reason I say we all have our priorities wrong, is because I was analysing the Manning vs Tebow debate. I wanted Manning; it's Peyton Manning after all. I then got thinking about it, and what I want from our franchise; a Super Bowl, yes, but then I realised there is much more to it than that, and thought I would share the ramblings in my mind with you all (bored on the train to work)

    Al Davis coined the phrase 'just win, baby', and I admire him for removing the personal element from the success of his team, and doing all you can to win, but only to a point.....

    I am loyal fan, and with that loyalty, some must reside with the players as well as the organisation. We cheer them as well as the team, after all. Some players just go wherever the biggest pay cheque is, some players go to whichever team gives them the best chance to win a Super Bowl, and I have absolutely no time for them.

    NFL Franchises are businesses, yes, and must do what they can to win, but also with that, their main business is to keep their fans entertained. Their business, therefore, is purely entertainment. Most of our fans want to win, and that is all they want, and I attribute that to the capatalist world we all live in. Let me equate this to life in general a bit; it really is ok to be average fellas, and ok not to be a winner, and to just have pride in what you do, and have fun doing it. Feel free to use that line on your kids there

    Some love Tebow because he got us back to winning ways, but not me. The reason I love Tebow, or rather the reason I have fallen in love with Tebow, is not because he makes our team better, instills heart and passion in the rest of the organisation, a great role model for us all, but because he is so damn fun to watch. Life is supposed to be fun, right?

    I have enjoyed watching the end of the Plummer era, the Cutler years, the Orton years, seeing our team trying to suceed and win the big one with all, but I have prefered watching Tebow, above all of them. Our team is now passionate, our team wears its heart on its sleeve, proud to be from Denver, thankful for playing in the NFL, and just generally a better role model to our kids (and adults too!)

    Will it not be more satisfying to watch Tebow, and our Broncos, grow over the next few years, entertaining the hell out of all of us, even if we don't win a Super Bowl for another 20 years?? I mean, geeeez, you never know what is going to happen next with this kid. He is pure entertainment, and a good guy too.

    I mean this wholeheartedly, and not playing Devil's Advocat like before (said things along this line a few times in here), but I would much prefer watching Tebow try to win a Super Bowl in Denver over the next 15 years, and failing, than getting an old Manning, winning one, and then the team crumbling under his aging arm strength and desire to only do one thing; win another Super Bowl.

    I know there are MANY of you who will tell me I am stupid, many who will laugh at my apparent lack of competitiveness, and some who think I am mad or just don't get it, but seriously folks, entertainment is the game we are in, and winning the Super Bowl is just a bonus.

    Just a bonus, that's all it is, or rather all is *should* be.

    If Tebow is the most entertaining QB in the league, then everyone should want him, and we are damn lucky to have him. I think this is what people are trying to say with their billboards, their booing of other QBs, their chanting of his name. Tebow, is an entertainer, whether he wants to be or not.

    'Entertainment over Record', should have been Al Davis' statement, especially as a team that has fun, and is entertaining to watch, usually wins.

    Therefore, I beg you all to sit down, and work out what it is you want from our franchise. There will be rough times with Tebow, more than most, especially in these early years, but do you want to enjoy watching your team, or do you want to enjoy them when they win?

    I know what I want now, and it is Tebow. Until he stops entertaining me

    ******

    For my next rant, I will be explaining why good character guys help a franchise win more than more skilled, selfish players, who are just looking for the title, or more $$$, but you'll have to wait for that, as typing this much on my iPhone has pretty much rendered my fingers useless for the rest of week.
    I agree. Only 1 team can be SB champion. But all teams have a chance to be great role models. I believe having Tim Tebow first and foremost makes this a better cohesive team. How can you not be selfless and dedicated when you see your QB taking all the crap from the front office and yet hasn't asked to be traded or do the prima donna rantings?
    I really wish we could have Tim Tebow learning under Manning. But if I was to choose, I'd choose Tim. With the cap space we have, we can still build a SB worthy team around Tim Tebow. I really really think we can it all with Tim with just a bit of patience. I don't know if we Peyton Manning can adjust to Bronco style play long enough(he is old and with a dangerous injury) to win another SB...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    california
    Posts
    2,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I feel we couldn't get rid of tebow if we signed manning at best manning has e2 or 3 more good years in him. tebow has everything you want in a qb but needs time to develop I think signing a peyton manning to help teach tebow the rope along with making out o competitive this year tebow obviously has it. he just needs a few years I believe a year or two to refine his qbing is what he needs
    2 words curtis painter

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    208
    Tebow does not have the talent to be a franchise QB I for one am glad that we have not invested into this college offense.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,936
    The thing that troubles me is that Manning is the total opposite of Fox. Fox believes in pounding the rock and playing solid defense, while Manning's way is to put the ball in the air and score quick. Defense is not as important with manning because he is going to score often enough that most teams can not keep up. Can Manning adjust the way he plays to fit what Fox likes to do? I don't think so

    Last season we were the #1 running team in the league, but without Tebow we would not even come close to those rushing totals. I don't even think MaGahee would even be able to fit in a Manning style offense. Are we going to totally scrap our offense yet again just to fit Manning? We were going one direction with Tebow and I thought Tebow earned the right to see how far it could go. Now we want to take two steps back to go in another direction that don't even fit out team.

    Don't get me wrong; Peyton is a great QB but is not a good fit for our current team. It did not work so well with Orton and Orton is kinda the same style QB that Manning is (Pocket Passer). Now I know Orton is no Manning as Manning is miles ahead of Orton. In the 2010 season Orton was on pace to break 5000 yards and all that got us was the 2nd pick in the draft. Manning is more consistent in that area as he has 11 seasons with 4000+ yards. The point is; Manning ball is to just air it out and run only a few times. Denver's offense is built for the ground attack, not the air attack!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •