Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Can Denver's defense take the next step?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...take-next-step

Can Denver's defense take next step?
    March, 26, 2012

The Broncos have Peyton Manning, but their success may rest on Von Miller and the defense.

Barring a setback from the neck injury that cost him the entire 2011 season, Peyton Manning has the Denver Broncos’ offense covered. That side of the ball will be fine and will be in playoff form.

But what about the defense?

That side of the ball will be a key to Denver's season. If the 2012 Denver defense can make the strides it did in 2011, the Broncos have a chance to be a serious contender.

Bill Polian, who knows Manning well, has said he thinks the potential of the Broncos' defense is one of the reasons Manning chose to play in Denver. Polian, the Colts’ former general manager who brought Manning to Indianapolis and who is now an ESPN analyst, said last week he thinks the Denver defense could be a spark for the Manning-led offense.

“John Fox is going to coach up that defense and it has a chance to play great defense,” Polian said. “That will only help Peyton.”

However, I believe the Broncos have work to do before they can start playing great defense.

This unit is a work in progress. It went from No. 32 in 2010 prior to Fox’s arrival to No. 20 in 2011 under the guidance of Fox and coordinator Dennis Allen, who is now the head coach in Oakland. The 2011 Denver Broncos will be remembered for the wild days of Tim Tebow, but it was the defense that rose up and solidified the team. With Manning running the offense and former Jacksonville head coach Jack Del Rio running the defense, the team has a chance to go to the next level.

The defense in Denver starts with pass-rushers Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller. The pair combined for 21 sacks last season and they should be one of the most dynamic pass-rush duos in the NFL for years to come. Polian called the pair special and an anchor for the defense.

Denver upgraded at cornerback by signing Tracy Porter of New Orleans. He is a solid No. 2 cornerback and will make a strong pairing with the aging, but still dominant Champ Bailey. Porter, who has had challenges staying healthy, is an upgrade from Andre Goodman. Underrated safety Mike Adams was signed from Cleveland. He will pair with second-year player Quinton Carter, who made strides as the season went on. The team will give 2011 No. 2 pick Rahim Moore a chance to rebound from a rookie season in which he regressed. But Adams and Carter should be a serviceable pairing.

There are some problems, though. Outside linebacker D.J. Williams, one of the better defenders on the team, is facing a six-game NFL suspension for using a banned substance. He is fighting it in the form of a lawsuit. Defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley signed with New Orleans. Bunkley was a tone-setter, and even though he played only 43 percent of the snaps, he will be missed.

Denver has a major void at defensive tackle and it probably will take advantage of a strong draft class at the position and use the No. 25 pick on a player such as Mississippi State’s Fletcher Cox, Penn State’s Devon Still or LSU’s Michael Brockers. They also want to re-sign Marcus Thomas and hope 2011 free-agent signee Ty Warren is healthy after missing the past two seasons.

There is no doubt this is still a building project and that concerns Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.

“I was very worried about this defense, but now I feel a little better about it after it signed Porter, who is a very solid No. 2 behind Bailey,” Williamson said. “But I still have my worries about the defense up the middle. Losing Bunkley hurts quite a bit, but maybe Ty Warren can help out this year. The safety position worries me. But they can sure rush the passer. The question is will be they be able to handle a physical offense.”

After being the bright spot of a surprise team in 2011, the Denver defense must take the next step in a year when, suddenly, much is expected from this team.

Personally I think they have already improved by adding a CB to replace Goodman, a safety to help with the rookies and possibly the retirement of Dawk.

Add a little depth, and draft some BIG BAD defensive tackles and we should be good to go.

If Dawk comes back its a bonus and we still have a few of our own FA to sign.

We will get at least one solid DT in the first round. There are 5 or 6 DT ready to play in the NFL. I hope we draft one good RB like a Terrell Davis type. DT and RB are the biggest need. We can upgrade both in the draft.
    Bronco Fan for Life.

Take the pieces we have... Add in a good starting DT

THen put Del Rio and Fox in there focuses on the Defense

Top 10 allllll the way this year

Can they take the next step......Not with what they have right now....But they arent going to have to...This O will score points, the D is going to spend a lot less time on the field and they are going to be able to play fast and aggressive....Those things will make them look better on paper (see GB and NO) but they wont be better......But it doesnt matter if you give up 20 a game when you score 30
    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pride

They don't have to be elite with the offense we'll have, they just need to be good enough.

I'm worried about our DT's though, but still some decent ones left in FA, and got the draft.

Don't forget how much raw excitement can motivate someone. All the Broncos will be excited and will play even better. We ended last season with a 20th-D? Even if we only move up to 15th this year, that's a solid D.

So, a Manning led score happy offense & a 15th ranked defense sounds like a team ready to make a Championship run.
    M.H.M.F.B MEMBER #36 FEAR THE FIVEHEAD!!!

hopefully they get a couple of DT's in the draft
    Last edited by assassin216; 03-26-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    I support Kaepernick 100%

If we can find 2 good DT in the draft we'll be in great shape. We still need to address MLB, CB, S, for depth purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by japfaff View Post
    Can they take the next step......Not with what they have right now....But they arent going to have to...This O will score points, the D is going to spend a lot less time on the field and they are going to be able to play fast and aggressive....Those things will make them look better on paper (see GB and NO) but they wont be better......But it doesnt matter if you give up 20 a game when you score 30
    Japfaff...I think you are challenging my record for the most ellipses used in a paragraph...love it.

I think our defense can take that step in the near future.

I think our secondary will be playing a much bigger part this year (due to us scoring more, therefore being ahead more, therefore teams abandoning the run earlier in the game)

I think if we find some run stuffing DTs, we could have a devastating defense.

Stuff the run, score often, and play with the lead.

If we can't stop the run, Peyton will see fewer snaps which means fewer points scored which means games will be a lot closer than we think. We need to have the best DL in the league if we are thinking we are SB bound. We don't have that in the middle and we are no where close to it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    The team will give 2011 No. 2 pick Rahim Moore a chance to rebound from a rookie season in which he regressed.
    How do you regress in your first year?
    I don't think that's regression- it's just being bad.

o.O

- ★ -
    2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Quote Originally Posted by sSync View Post
    How do you regress in your first year?
    I don't think that's regression- it's just being bad.

o.O
    You would be correct sir.

If we wanted to have a top ranked defense....

Sign: Aubrayo Franklin, Amobi Okoye (eventually rotational player)

Draft: Michael Brockers, Mychal Kendricks, Chase Minnifield, and Derek Wolfe.

BAM! With Del Rio and Fox, they could mold that into a top 5 defense.